HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Have high end composite sticks really improved a lot in the last few years?

Old
02-03-2010, 10:34 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

vCash: 500
Have high end composite sticks really improved a lot in the last few years?

Are the top end sticks of 2009-2010 really a big improvement from the top sticks of 2005-2006? I remember the vapor 30 lite and cnt stealth as great sticks. I still have one of each. Are the new "big dogs" like the u+ cl, x60 and 10k really an improvement over sticks from a few years ago? I think they're barely, if at all, an improvement yet the hype and prices keep soaring... Thoughts?

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 01:40 PM
CuteHockeyBunny

From a material point of view, I doubt the sticks have changed that much. They have to release a new stick each year so they add some insignificant feature that you can't mechanically test and like you said, the price (and hype) sky-rockets. It's rage worthy in the sense that these sticks cost 10-20$ to manufacture but are sold for 250$, day in and day out and especially since most of them don't even last long.

Even more rage worthy is that they stop manufacturing old "top tier" sticks so we're forced to either buy the brand new sparkling model at 2x the price or buy some crap stick that's priced and marketed for the 60-70$ range.

The industry as a whole is very greedy and I don't like it one bit.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 01:59 PM
stick9

They keep tweaking the design each year. Sometimes it's a huge change (elliptical taper), sometimes it's minor (Spyne technology blades). It's a hockey stick, how much can they actually change.

There are some older sticks people still crave, the CNT being one of them. I personally love the Vapor XXX-Lite shaft I own...wish I could still find the OPS version.

Are they worth it...is anything worth the price you pay? If they can get $250 for a new stick, that's what they are gonna sell them for.

The good thing about nice new sticks each year is shops discount last years sticks to make room for the new stuff.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Synergy27

Man, I would love to be able to get my hands on a good old 2002ish 110 flex Z-Bubble shaft with a Shanahan Z-Carbon blade. Advances in stick technology have really screwed me because my go to setup keeps becoming obsolete and I am much more sensitive to stick changes than I like to admit.

Synergy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I think you have more options now...a few years ago you had tapered (Synergy) and non-tapered (Ultra Lite). Now you have high kick and low kick, anti-torque elliptical sticks, lighter versus more durable, softer versus livelier blades, etc.

Most manufacturers seem to sell a stick one level down from the top that has great performance and increased durability at lower prices. You don't see them at the professional, junior, or college level, but that's where most of us reside. And they're good sticks.

But at the end of the day, it's just a shaft and a blade, so I don't think you'd see a huge difference. So long as the curve and flex are right.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 05:11 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteHockeyBunny View Post
From a material point of view, I doubt the sticks have changed that much. They have to release a new stick each year so they add some insignificant feature that you can't mechanically test and like you said, the price (and hype) sky-rockets. It's rage worthy in the sense that these sticks cost 10-20$ to manufacture but are sold for 250$, day in and day out and especially since most of them don't even last long.

Even more rage worthy is that they stop manufacturing old "top tier" sticks so we're forced to either buy the brand new sparkling model at 2x the price or buy some crap stick that's priced and marketed for the 60-70$ range.

The industry as a whole is very greedy and I don't like it one bit.

I very much agree but it's not $10-20, it's about 50-60. But yeah, totally right on with everything else you said. Sometimes, the new models cost more and are inferior. You can usually get good stuff from pro stock but it's kind of a roulette game, because you often never know what stick you're going to get exactly...

Old
02-03-2010, 06:18 PM
CuteHockeyBunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
I very much agree but it's not $10-20, it's about 50-60. But yeah, totally right on with everything else you said. Sometimes, the new models cost more and are inferior. You can usually get good stuff from pro stock but it's kind of a roulette game, because you often never know what stick you're going to get exactly...
I bought a Warrior Johnson Stick brand sparkling new at 35$. Carbon Fiber costs around 10$ per pound, that is the weight of an average composite stick (around a pound). However, being a finance student I know there's so many other factors of production but from a material point of view, the sticks are dirty cheap. With marketing alone a stick could cost 1 000 000$ if some rich sap could buy it but that's another story.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 07:36 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteHockeyBunny View Post
I bought a Warrior Johnson Stick brand sparkling new at 35$. Carbon Fiber costs around 10$ per pound, that is the weight of an average composite stick (around a pound). However, being a finance student I know there's so many other factors of production but from a material point of view, the sticks are dirty cheap. With marketing alone a stick could cost 1 000 000$ if some rich sap could buy it but that's another story.
I think the price of carbon fiber has gone up a lot in the past 2 years. I think it is about 15 per pound now, but yeh, supply and demand is the biggest key still. And at $50 total production cost, selling it to the e-tailer at $140 is an insane profit...

Old
02-03-2010, 08:02 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post

There are some older sticks people still crave, the CNT being one of them. I personally love the Vapor XXX-Lite shaft I own...wish I could still find the OPS version.

some of the Inno OPS are XXX lites I believe.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote