HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ken Hitchcock's coaching tenure

Old
01-10-2010, 10:02 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Post-lockout Hitch here wasn't good, but he wasn't helped that the Flyers didn't buy into the new-NHL as opposed to the last 8 or 9 times they said they were going to cut down on hooking and holding and never did it. Otherwise Hatcher and Rathje would have never gotten the contracts they did. Rathje will finally be off the books after this season, only another 6 months!
Keeping that injury plagued, young, and filled with dreadful role players (Savage?!?! Dimitrakos?!?!) team afloat the first year out of the gate was one of the best coaching jobs we've witnessed here in recent years.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Jester

Quote:
If I had one question to ask Hitchcock, it would be about what went through his mind when he decided to make Petr Nedved a shutdown center.
It's called making the best of a bad situation.

Old
01-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
So basically they were the same thing...marginal NHL players at the time. Look, I wasn't a fan of giving up Sharp at the time...but making it out like we gave up "oh so much" for "nothing much" is revisionist history at its finest. Sharp wasn't considered anything special by anyone at the time. Clarke was a savvy trader and won most trades he made...he wasn't giving up a guy he perceived as a 30-goal scorer for ****s and giggles.

It was a whatever trade at the time...no more, and no less.
The problem is, it was a trade for the sake of making a trade. Notice I didn't say I knew-or that anyone knew-what Sharp would become, but Ellison was a bubble player on a bad team. Sharp was a young guy that had shown he could produce if given decent ice time.

Yes, Sharp wanted to get more ice time and knew he'd get it by going elsewhere. That doesn't mean you trade a guy as soon as he makes the request.

Just because Clarke was normally a savvy trader doesn't mean he was incapable of some horrendous deals: Daigle, Falloon and Calder all jump to mind immediately.

Clarke made a trade for the sake of making a trade and it was a bad one, right from the jump.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
The problem is, it was a trade for the sake of making a trade. Notice I didn't say I knew-or that anyone knew-what Sharp would become, but Ellison was a bubble player on a bad team. Sharp was a young guy that had shown he could produce if given decent ice time.

Yes, Sharp wanted to get more ice time and knew he'd get it by going elsewhere. That doesn't mean you trade a guy as soon as he makes the request.

Just because Clarke was normally a savvy trader doesn't mean he was incapable of some horrendous deals: Daigle, Falloon and Calder all jump to mind immediately.

Clarke made a trade for the sake of making a trade and it was a bad one, right from the jump.

Just like asking anyone today if they voted for, say Kennedy, everyone who was of age back then will say yes. Similarly, now all these mother****ers are coming out of the woodwork saying that they hated that trade all along. And, who knows, maybe you did. But most people didn't care one way or the other. It was a minor move at the time and virtually no one batted an eye.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Just like asking anyone today if they voted for, say Kennedy, everyone who was of age back then will say yes. Similarly, now all these mother****ers are coming out of the woodwork saying that they hated that trade all along. And, who knows, maybe you did. But most people didn't care one way or the other. It was a minor move at the time and virtually no one batted an eye.
OK, guess I have been told...

Old
01-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Jester

Quote:

He didn't make a trade for the "sake of making a trade." He made a trade because a guy didn't want to be a part of the team anymore, and he appeased his desire. As has been previous noted, it's not out of the ordinary to get rid of a guy when he makes it known he doesn't want to be part of what you're doing anymore.

Sharp had put up 15 pts in 66 games as a Flyer...he looked like a heady player that could help you out a bit from the back, and had put up some points in the AHL (like a lot of players)...and had asked off the team.

Debating it at this point is silly, but claiming it was a "dumb trade at the time" is pure revisionist history. They got back an equivalent draft pick that they'd used to get Sharp (which they converted into two players, one of whom is probably the best forward on the Phantoms right now), and a similar young player that just didn't work out.

Chicago won the deal...but "dumb" trade is pure hindsight speaking.

Old
01-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
He didn't make a trade for the "sake of making a trade." He made a trade because a guy didn't want to be a part of the team anymore, and he appeased his desire. As has been previous noted, it's not out of the ordinary to get rid of a guy when he makes it known he doesn't want to be part of what you're doing anymore.

Sharp had put up 15 pts in 66 games as a Flyer...he looked like a heady player that could help you out a bit from the back, and had put up some points in the AHL (like a lot of players)...and had asked off the team.

Debating it at this point is silly, but claiming it was a "dumb trade at the time" is pure revisionist history. They got back an equivalent draft pick that they'd used to get Sharp (which they converted into two players, one of whom is probably the best forward on the Phantoms right now), and a similar young player that just didn't work out.

Chicago won the deal...but "dumb" trade is pure hindsight speaking.
Ok, guess I been told. Not really worth debating a 4 year old trade with somebody who apparently knows everything

Old
01-10-2010, 10:21 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
Quote:
Keeping that injury plagued, young, and filled with dreadful role players (Savage?!?! Dimitrakos?!?!) team afloat the first year out of the gate was one of the best coaching jobs we've witnessed here in recent years.
Dimitrakos worked...for about a week.

Savage I didn't like, however if I recall, the PK got a lot better when he got more time on it. That wasn't was he was brought here to do though.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Jester

Quote:
Ok, guess I been told. Not really worth debating a 4 year old trade with somebody who apparently knows everything
Pot. Kettle. If you really think your debating position is any different...whatever.

Not to mention, in this thread we've had Sharp (at the time) compared to Boedker, a #8 overall pick (not you). Blasting the Sharp trade is built entirely on hindsight and has little to do with the perception at the time.

Quote:
Dimitrakos worked...for about a week.

Savage I didn't like, however if I recall, the PK got a lot better when he got more time on it. That wasn't was he was brought here to do though.
That roster, looking back, is absolutely absurd. It was fine the first half when they had bodies...but once they started going down it just got ugly. Rathje completely falling apart, KJ getting the concussion, etc. it was just a downhill spiral. Not to mention they had mediocre goaltending all year, and then Nitty just couldn't swing it after the Olympics.

Old
01-10-2010, 10:33 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
God damn Dan Cleary

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 08:33 PM
captainpaxil

hitch fired by colombus.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=308802

if im ed snider im wondering how big a check i have to write him to be the director of player development/adirondack coach. i think this would work out for both parties as a prospects time in the ahl is limited so its not long enough for hitchcocks style to ware on the players and his ability to make complete players out of guys is exactly what you want young players to experience. hed be extremely effective as hes shown he can win at the highest levels and is a student of the game. "ya wanna be the next call-up kid? listen to me, i won a stanley cup."

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
hitch fired by colombus.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=308802

if im ed snider im wondering how big a check i have to write him to be the director of player development/adirondack coach. i think this would work out for both parties as a prospects time in the ahl is limited so its not long enough for hitchcocks style to ware on the players and his ability to make complete players out of guys is exactly what you want young players to experience. hed be extremely effective as hes shown he can win at the highest levels and is a student of the game. "ya wanna be the next call-up kid? listen to me, i won a stanley cup."
Ah, Hitch will have another job in the NHL in the not too distant future.