HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Pens scouting Ponikarovsky

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-03-2010, 08:37 PM
  #101
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Ponko is a rubbish nickname though.
Ponko & Rubbish?

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 08:37 PM
  #102
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,041
vCash: 500
I really hate the Ryan Malone comparison for Ponikarovsky. There's a difference between industrious and gritty. Malone is gritty and tough as nails. Ponikarovsky is just industrious. Malone is a true leader who sacrifices himself for his teammates. Poni is...industrious.

Nothing wrong with that, but Alexei Ponikarovsky has been overrated on our board for quite some time now. Hopefully, he moves to Nashville (where he was traded last March but it happened too late to be processed with the league) and we can move on with our lives.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 08:38 PM
  #103
66-29-33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Ponko & Rubbish?
Sounds like a cartoon. "We will be right back with Ponko and Rubbish after this commercial break".

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:12 PM
  #104
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!
 
Tender Rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 12,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Alexei Ponikarovsky has been overrated on our board for quite some time now.
Or underrated by a few posters.
Last year he got 60 points while leading the Leafs in plus/minus. This year he will get around 60 again while beating his personal best in goals (23, last year), and he is the ONLY regular Leaf forward who is a plus player.

He is defensively responsible, an accomplished secondary scorer with a big frame and a low salary. Its close to being the ideal rental package for a team in our situation.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:12 PM
  #105
gafel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 240
vCash: 500
Ponko's a lot better than Pony. I'm really not trying to yell "PONY" in the playoffs (if he's on our team) when he scores.

gafel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:18 PM
  #106
BlindWillyMcHurt
Registered User
 
BlindWillyMcHurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,726
vCash: 500
I dunno...

"Stay Gold, Poni-Boy!"

"Dig a Poni"

It has some legs.

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:24 PM
  #107
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 20,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gafel View Post
Ponko's a lot better than Pony. I'm really not trying to yell "PONY" in the playoffs (if he's on our team) when he scores.
why not? Simon Despres nickname is the Horse if we had both next year lots of fun to be had there.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:26 PM
  #108
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by There's only one 66 View Post
Or underrated by a few posters.
Last year he got 60 points while leading the Leafs in plus/minus. This year he will get around 60 again while beating his personal best in goals (23, last year), and he is the ONLY regular Leaf forward who is a plus player.

He is defensively responsible, an accomplished secondary scorer with a big frame and a low salary. Its close to being the ideal rental package for a team in our situation.
But if we're going for a non-proven rental from a chronically bad team, I'd rather go after someone with more upside (someone we may actually keep beyond this year).

If we're going the rental route, I want a winner. Whitney fits the bill. Maybe Tkachuk. Not someone with so little experience in playing games that matter.

I'd rather have Mueller. And Phoenix may actually want one of our more experienced wingers in return. They want veterans right now.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:27 PM
  #109
#66
Registered User
 
#66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I really hate the Ryan Malone comparison for Ponikarovsky. There's a difference between industrious and gritty. Malone is gritty and tough as nails. Ponikarovsky is just industrious. Malone is a true leader who sacrifices himself for his teammates. Poni is...industrious.

Nothing wrong with that, but Alexei Ponikarovsky has been overrated on our board for quite some time now. Hopefully, he moves to Nashville (where he was traded last March but it happened too late to be processed with the league) and we can move on with our lives.
2nded and I like Poni. Wouldn't mind seeing him on the Pens at all though.

Right now I think he would cost a lot though. I would rather see the Pens turn it down a notch and go after the Juice and Andy Sutton.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:27 PM
  #110
Uncle Jorgi
Registered User
 
Uncle Jorgi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cranberry Twp, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
why not? Simon Despres nickname is the Horse if we had both next year lots of fun to be had there.
If that came to pass, we'd basically be obligated to trade for Franzen

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:30 PM
  #111
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 20,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jorgi View Post
If that came to pass, we'd basically be obligated to trade for Franzen

The Horse
The Poni
The Mule
The ManBearPig

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:33 PM
  #112
Uncle Jorgi
Registered User
 
Uncle Jorgi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cranberry Twp, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post

The Horse
The Poni
The Mule
The ManBearPig


Didn't even think of including TK in that. Well done.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:44 PM
  #113
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 20,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jorgi View Post


Didn't even think of including TK in that. Well done.
The Horse (Despres)
The Pony (Ponikarovksy)
The Mule (Franzen)
The ManBearPig (Kennedy)
The Goose (Goligoski)
The Moose (Hedburg)
The Ferret (Legace)
The Big Bird (Valiquette)
The Gorilla (N. Wallin)

I think Franzen is the only one Shero would have difficulty acquiring and obviously we'd only sign one of the back up goalies. Too much time on my hands.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:46 PM
  #114
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!
 
Tender Rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 12,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
But if we're going for a non-proven rental from a chronically bad team, I'd rather go after someone with more upside (someone we may actually keep beyond this year).

If we're going the rental route, I want a winner. Whitney fits the bill. Maybe Tkachuk. Not someone with so little experience in playing games that matter.

I'd rather have Mueller. And Phoenix may actually want one of our more experienced wingers in return. They want veterans right now.
I would certainly be happy with Whitney too, but there's most likely a steep price to pay.
Tkachuk... could make some sense also if the price is right and we're out of other options, but lets not forget that his last four trips to the playoffs has ended in first round exists with Tkachuk scoring 2 goals (9 points) in 20 games. Last year he had a big fat '0' in a four game sweep against the Canucks.
In 13 playoff runs he has gotten out of the first round twice. I don't know that a history of failure is better than having never had the chance, and Ponikarovsky is a much better player now than Tkachuk is. We have enough lack of mobility with Guerin also, IMO.

As for Mueller.... we're talking about a deadline deal here where you amp up for the playoffs. If Phoenix deals him it is to amp up and get someone they can rely on to perform. The idea that Shero would trade for a player who has underperformed for two years and has 4 goals on the season... that just seems wack. In the off-season perhaps.

In terms of a fit, Ponikarovsky is pretty much a Kunitz for Geno. Their scoring is about the same, and whereas Kunitz fast, terrier style suits Crosby, Pony's more laboured physicality fits Malkin. Doesn't hurt that there's no language barrier either for smooth transition.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 10:08 PM
  #115
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 41,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
The Horse (Despres)
The Pony (Ponikarovksy)
The Mule (Franzen)
The ManBearPig (Kennedy)
The Goose (Goligoski)
The Moose (Hedburg)
The Ferret (Legace)
The Big Bird (Valiquette)
The Gorilla (N. Wallin)

I think Franzen is the only one Shero would have difficulty acquiring and obviously we'd only sign one of the back up goalies. Too much time on my hands.
The Pterodactyl

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 10:30 PM
  #116
gafel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 240
vCash: 500
"TPBDerek RT@rnstrong Also, for those that missed it, McKenzie predicted Ponikarovsky as the Pens' most likely acquisition"

TSN's Bob McKenzie is solid with this kind of stuff too.

gafel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 10:37 PM
  #117
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u
 
HandshakeLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 18,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
The Pterodactyl
[Insert retarded Errey noise here.]

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:46 PM
  #118
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
[Insert retarded Errey noise here.]
Something like "Steigy!" but with a Scooby-Doo voice, Steigy instead of Shaggy.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:06 AM
  #119
Danger
Registered User
 
Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gafel View Post
"TPBDerek RT@rnstrong Also, for those that missed it, McKenzie predicted Ponikarovsky as the Pens' most likely acquisition"

TSN's Bob McKenzie is solid with this kind of stuff too.

Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 12:21 PM
  #120
Riggs
Kaptain
 
Riggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 3,178
vCash: 500
twitter - kausatoday
Kovy gone, Whitney on deck, Ponikarovky in the hole. Considerable interest in Leafs' Ponikarovsky, but Pens not among suitors.

Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 12:36 PM
  #121
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggs View Post
twitter - kausatoday
Kovy gone, Whitney on deck, Ponikarovky in the hole. Considerable interest in Leafs' Ponikarovsky, but Pens not among suitors.
Music to my ears. Jiggyfly too, I suspect.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 12:39 PM
  #122
AgentM
Registered User
 
AgentM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Allison Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Music to my ears. Jiggyfly too, I suspect.
You realize this means Poni is definitely going to be a Pen now

AgentM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 12:43 PM
  #123
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
You realize this means Poni is definitely going to be a Pen now
I doubt it, and it's probably because Tangradi is a non-starter for Shero.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:01 PM
  #124
Ugene Malkin
Oh..Well!
 
Ugene Malkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 21,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
[Insert retarded Errey noise here.]
Steigy: Bob, look at him gallop.

Errey: (horse snort) If you wanna ....ride, ride the white Powni.

.....or

Steigy: Pownranger rides again, high.....o silver,...away!

Errey: (horse snort) ....Ride Kimosabe, ....ride!

I'm sure it gets used some how.

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:26 PM
  #125
penguinschick13
Registered User
 
penguinschick13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Up your... what?
Country: Canada
Posts: 114
vCash: 500
Psh, I wish.

penguinschick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.