HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Equipment for scrawny people

Old
02-03-2010, 07:40 PM
porcella

vCash: 500
Equipment for scrawny people

Hi,

I recently decided that I want to start playing hockey again.

I played growing up, but quit in junior high. Most of my equipment back then had been previously worn by a friend's rather overweight younger brother. In retrospect, almost none of it fit properly, so I'm in the market for new stuff.

I should note here that I'm a girl and not particularly large: 5'7" tall and between 105 and 110 pounds. I've tried some of the women-specific equipment on, but most of it just doesn't fit me very well. The women's breezers, in particular, are incredibly wide in the hips. Am I too big for junior-sized stuff?

The stick I used most often before was a 100 or 110 flex, purchased on clearance and cut down to fit me. Obviously, this was way too stiff - I could have sat on it without it bending. I'm looking at new ones, but I don't know exactly what to look for. Is 65 flex still going to be too stiff?

Thanks for your help, everyone!

porcella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:17 AM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcella View Post
Hi,

I played growing up, but quit in junior high. Most of my equipment back then had been previously worn by a friend's rather overweight younger brother. In retrospect, almost none of it fit properly, so I'm in the market for new stuff.

I should note here that I'm a girl and not particularly large: 5'7" tall and between 105 and 110 pounds. I've tried some of the women-specific equipment on, but most of it just doesn't fit me very well. The women's breezers, in particular, are incredibly wide in the hips. Am I too big for junior-sized stuff?

The stick I used most often before was a 100 or 110 flex, purchased on clearance and cut down to fit me. Obviously, this was way too stiff - I could have sat on it without it bending. I'm looking at new ones, but I don't know exactly what to look for. Is 65 flex still going to be too stiff?

I've heard LEGO makes a pretty sick set up for smaller people.

On a serious note, junior stuff should fit you but you should try it on first if you can. That is the only way to know for sure. Also, a 65 flex should be good for you.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:56 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcella View Post
Hi,

Generally (not a set rule but for the most part) the flex should be about half of your body weight to begin at a starting point. The 65 flex would be good if you are not cutting the stick down obviously.

Secondly I commend you for being a woman and playing hockey, I am 41 years old (male) and when I played in highschool there were no women playing hockey at all competetively. Things have come a long way and have changed for the better.

A couple of years ago a girl's highschool team's players were out on an outdoor rink playing for fun and I had a great time playing hockey with them. They were very skilled and good hockey players.

Also for the junior sized stuff there are some small teenage boys your size who fit in it so I am sure you would as well if the women's hip sizing for the stuff you tried were too big in the hips.

Don't feel badly about your issues, when you are a big guy like me it is also hard to find the right sized equipment. I hate buying new equipment because of it. The stores mainly cater to teenagers and medium to average sized senior men sizes.

Good luck anyway, I think you should be all set with the stuff people have mentioned.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote