HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalchuk, Salmela traded to the Devils, for Oduya, Bergfors, Cormier and a first

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-03-2010, 10:30 PM
  #26
Beastieboy
Registered User
 
Beastieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 425
vCash: 500
You'd think if Lavi has any input he would like a Cane that knows his system and won a cup with him... but rumours of ask for Whitney are high. Cullen may be possible, though we had his brother and he never saw the light of day... hopefully the family is not holding a grudge.

Beastieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 10:50 PM
  #27
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastieboy View Post
You'd think if Lavi has any input he would like a Cane that knows his system and won a cup with him... but rumours of ask for Whitney are high. Cullen may be possible, though we had his brother and he never saw the light of day... hopefully the family is not holding a grudge.
I hope the comment on Cullens brother was sarcastic.

Matt Cullens brother hasnt seen the light of day much at all in the NHL, let alone the Flyers.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 10:54 PM
  #28
Beastieboy
Registered User
 
Beastieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
I hope the comment on Cullens brother was sarcastic.

Matt Cullens brother hasnt seen the light of day much at all in the NHL, let alone the Flyers.
Yes, sarcasm in effect. Mark Cullen has not exactly lit the world on fire...

Beastieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:16 AM
  #29
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Well... we might not be getting him...

UPDATE at 9:20 p.m.: According to Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com, the Flyers are not in the running anymore. Team sources told Panaccio that the team fears signing Kovalchuk, who is can become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, would "mortgage our future." Kovalchuk is reportedly seeking more than $10 million per season, and the Flyers don't appear willing to pay that.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...id=DL|NHL|home
That's cool and all, but I'll wait until Kovalchuk is traded before I actually believe any interested team is out of the running. Not that I ever had much hope of him coming here.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:17 AM
  #30
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
That's cool and all, but I'll wait until Kovalchuk is traded before I actually believe any interested team is out of the running.
Well according to Timmy P, it all depended on how we did tonight (it was his latest Kovy article)

And we lost...

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:23 AM
  #31
Sanders418777
Registered User
 
Sanders418777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bucks County, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Well according to Timmy P, it all depended on how we did tonight (it was his latest Kovy article)

And we lost...

And we scored zero goals.

Sanders418777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:26 AM
  #32
ELab2
Registered User
 
ELab2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlantic City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,348
vCash: 500
If some specific event was going to prompt a trade for Kovalchuk getting shut out by the worst team in the league would be it

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:49 AM
  #33
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
If some specific event was going to prompt a trade for Kovalchuk getting shut out by the worst team in the league would be it
Which would be the worst kind of blind, stupid panic. Forget Kovalchuk. Let him ruin another team.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:09 AM
  #34
clockwise
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
Atlanta can keep the rent a star.

Love how Kovalchuk's agent says he want's to 'be on a playoff team'.

Yeah sure when he has dollar signs in his eyes and want's the effing league maximum. He'd be the 'playoff team'.

He probably want's to be traded to a playoff team for a run at the cup, then when the season ends the KHL will back a Brinks truck up to his pad carry his ass rickshaw (or wheelbarrow idk Russia) over to the mother land so he can light Cubans with Ben Franklin's

WIN WIN

clockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:21 AM
  #35
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,551
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastieboy View Post
You'd think if Lavi has any input he would like a Cane that knows his system and won a cup with him... but rumours of ask for Whitney are high. Cullen may be possible, though we had his brother and he never saw the light of day... hopefully the family is not holding a grudge.
Whitney has a no trade clause(not sure if its a full one or not).
LA was rumored to have offered defensive prospect Vyacheslav Voynov and a 2nd round pick for Whitney.
Not sure if I want Recchi. He didnt leave here on good terms the last time.
i wouldnt mind Ponikarovsky, but when was the last time we traded with Toronto(well for anything halfway significant)

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:46 AM
  #36
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,775
vCash: 500
Some more information

Quote:
No deal gets done w/o a top 6 d, fwd, and ace prospect. Don Waddell has two deadlines. Next fri and March 3rd.
http://twitter.com/darenmillard

Do we really have a really good d-man to trade?

Briere, Carle/Coburn, JVR? I dont I'd even do that... I dont want to give up JVR being honest...

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:55 AM
  #37
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Some more information



http://twitter.com/darenmillard

Do we really have a really good d-man to trade?

Briere, Carle/Coburn, JVR? I dont I'd even do that... I dont want to give up JVR being honest...
You know, they're going to want one of JVR or Giroux.

If you had to get rid of one, who is it?

I'd get rid of Briere and Carle and Coburn. The Giroux and JVR are the ones that stings. I love both of them.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:32 AM
  #38
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!
 
DeadPhish5858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: the Shade
Country: United States
Posts: 13,476
vCash: 70
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I just hope he goes to the West. I dont want him on my team and I dont want my team to play him.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 03:04 AM
  #39
fire bettman
 
fire bettman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
You know, they're going to want one of JVR or Giroux.

If you had to get rid of one, who is it?

I'd get rid of Briere and Carle and Coburn. The Giroux and JVR are the ones that stings. I love both of them.
If that happened I would spend how ever long it takes to find out where homer lives and light light a bag of **** on his porch at least twice a day. To trade JVR or Giroux for a rental would be insane. I really hope homer is smart enough to look at those two players as the future faces of this franchise.

fire bettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 03:17 AM
  #40
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
The only thing that would make sense would be to, like many have said, dump a few toxic contracts onto Atlanta (which they would almost certainly refuse) and then soak up the glory of the newly found cap space. But I doubt Atlanta would take Briere and Hartnell and I further doubt that either of them would be willing to waive their NTCs.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 06:04 AM
  #41
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
I hope Holmgren offered Briere + Coburn and then hung up the phone when Waddell came back with Hartnell + Carle + JVR.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 06:17 AM
  #42
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Give them Coburn back...

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 07:05 AM
  #43
Lomark
Registered User
 
Lomark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Personally... I say F Kovy and go after Matt Cullin
Cullen would be a good addition imo. He doesn't have to be surrounded by to much talent to be effective. Pretty good overall game and very good with the puck.
Can we fit him tho? His cap is 2,875,000. How does cap work come playoff time?

Lomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 07:11 AM
  #44
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomark View Post
Cullen would be a good addition imo. He doesn't have to be surrounded by to much talent to be effective. Pretty good overall game and very good with the puck.
Can we fit him tho? His cap is 2,875,000. How does cap work come playoff time?
There is no salary cap come playoff time however, there is a very real salary cap from the deadline until the end of the regular season.

According to capgeek, Cullen has $998,057 of his cap hit left as of right now.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 07:18 AM
  #45
Lomark
Registered User
 
Lomark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
There is no salary cap come playoff time however, there is a very real salary cap from the deadline until the end of the regular season.

According to capgeek, Cullen has $998,057 of his cap hit left as of right now.
Ok, that was what I thought but I've been hearing so many things I didn't know what to make of it anymore.. So that means we could fit a rental in the Cullen/Torres/Nolan tier without subtracting salary by trade then, yes? We have like $900,000 to spare?


Last edited by Lomark: 02-04-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Lomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 07:22 AM
  #46
Lomark
Registered User
 
Lomark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire bettman View Post
If that happened I would spend how ever long it takes to find out where homer lives and light light a bag of **** on his porch at least twice a day. To trade JVR or Giroux for a rental would be insane. I really hope homer is smart enough to look at those two players as the future faces of this franchise.
Indeed. I always find myself holding back when discussing those two on these boards. I don't wanna get flamed or jinx them, but I really think the sky is the limit for them. Especially when it comes to Giroux.
Besides, manageable contracts will only rise in value, it would be incredibly stupid to move these type of players for someone destined to make 8,5+...

Lomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 07:40 AM
  #47
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomark View Post
Ok, that was what I thought but I've been hearing so many things I didn't know what to make of it anymore.. So that means we could fit a rental in the Cullen/Torres/Nolan tier without subtracting salary by trade then, yes? We have like $900,000 to spare?
Yes, I'm sure we could find $900,000 in floaters that don't need to be on the NHL team.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 08:59 AM
  #48
flountown
Registered User
 
flountown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,366
vCash: 500
Even though he has just under $1 million in terms of remaining cap, wouldn't that 2.875 number be more important when considering the day to day cap, where you can't ice a team whose cap hits are over the limit?

flountown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 09:24 AM
  #49
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
There is no salary cap come playoff time however, there is a very real salary cap from the deadline until the end of the regular season.

According to capgeek, Cullen has $998,057 of his cap hit left as of right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Yes, I'm sure we could find $900,000 in floaters that don't need to be on the NHL team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
Even though he has just under $1 million in terms of remaining cap, wouldn't that 2.875 number be more important when considering the day to day cap, where you can't ice a team whose cap hits are over the limit?
I'm suprised Shafer doesn't understand the cap. It is calculated daily (at 12 or 5 pm I believe) and the Flyers have big salary on LTIR. LTIR means whatever we don't spend to the cap, LTIR takes us to the limit before insurance kicks in.

Therefore, the Flyers have spent to the cap every single day of the season. Remaining salary is a worthless number for us. Total caphit is all that matters, because when we add everyones contract up and divide by the number of days in a season, we can not exceed our daily limit.

Remaining salary is only important for clubs with financial trouble who could care less about cap hit and are concerned with how much ACTUAL cash they spend on personnel.

So, think of it like this, at no point during the season, can the total sum of all our players salaries exceed $56.8 mill. Not the first day of the season, not today, not tomorrow. We can never go a single day spending over $56.8 mill unless it's in bonuses. LTIR insurance picks up everything over $56.8 mill.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 09:26 AM
  #50
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Frankly I'd love for the Penguins to waste nearly $30m in cap space on 3 players.
Pens will not do that.. They may trade for Kovy just like they did with Hossa. Kovy may stay there for extra year if they do not win the cup again or he will walk..

For isntance Tangradi, Kunitz/Fedotenko and 1st as a starting offer.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.