HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

KOVALCHUK traded to the New Jersey Devils for Bergfors, Oduya, Cormier & 1st rounder

Old
02-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Craig71

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I wouldn't want one of the most prolific scorers of this generation either

Are you his agent or psychic?

So would I, but 3 Crosby's aren't currently available but 1 Kovalchuk is.
Don't make this personal man, it's a message board and I can give my opinion(although not a correct one) just like you and everyone else. I don't like Kovalchuk as a team player, awesome talent, but not for my team. He won't be coming here anyway so why bother, for what we would have to give up does anyone honestly think we would be a better team? I think not, just a rental.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 10:31 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Don't make this personal man, it's a message board and I can give my opinion(although not a correct one) just like you and everyone else. I don't like Kovalchuk as a team player, awesome talent, but not for my team. He won't be coming here anyway so why bother, for what we would have to give up does anyone honestly think we would be a better team? I think not, just a rental.
He's been the only player on his team since he came into the league. The only years this wasn't the case was the few that Hossa was with him. We haven't seen him in a "team" to see how he'd be as a team player so IMO you can't pass that judgement.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 10:48 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
He's been the only player on his team since he came into the league. The only years this wasn't the case was the few that Hossa was with him. We haven't seen him in a "team" to see how he'd be as a team player so IMO you can't pass that judgement.
Before Hossa was Heatley. Let's not forget Savard either. Atlanta hasn't had all of the pieces to make it deep in the playoffs, but they had 3 star-caliber players (from 02-03 til 06-07) when we had 0...

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 11:27 PM
Classified

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHab View Post
Let's be realistic Montreal has nothing Atlanta wants. Let's all pray Plekanec is still around next year because Montreal will be rotting in the standings for the next five years. On top of that, I don't see anyone that can do a better job than Gainey. On top of that, I don't see anyone that can do a better job than Gainey. We had some pretty big names come here under him. The only problem was they were on the decline or enigmatic. Tanguay, Bonk, Kovalev!!!
Really?

Classified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 11:31 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Let's be realistic Montreal has nothing Atlanta wants. Let's all pray Plekanec is still around next year because Montreal will be rotting in the standings for the next five years. On top of that, I don't see anyone that can do a better job than Gainey. We had some pretty big names come here under him. The only problem was they were on the decline or enigmatic. Tanguay, Bonk, Kovalev!!!
Really? I don't want the Habs to deal 3 or 4 assets for a rental but how can you say the Habs have nothing Atlanta would want? Unless you're Don Waddell that is...

Waddell is apparently looking for a top 6 forward,a top 4 dman and a high pick/high end prospect...This is not a proposal but lets say if the Habs were interested..Top 6 forward = Andrei Kostitsyn...Top 4 dman = Josh Gorges...High end pick/Prospect = Habs 1st round pick this year or 1 of either Subban or Leblanc..I'd say that is an offer Atlanta would definitely consider for a player they can't sign...

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:10 AM
dhockeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
you do know hes a rental right?

hawks do look like they are rdy to give up a extalblished player, wich is what ATL is looking for. Poor atlanta, they will have no attendance this year/next
he just said hes crazy

dhockeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:24 AM
Koivu2001

vCash: 350
Since atlanta wants impact players to keep in the playoff race, I would offer Gomez, Georges, Pacman, and 1st 2010 for Kovy in a hearthbeat,I think its atractive for atlanta, then sing him for 12 millions for a long term with a lower cap hit, hey one can only dream. Isn't Markov a good friend of Kovalchuk? hell have 3 months to convience him to stay in Montreal and if he doest resing we still win on gomez contract.

Koivu2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:30 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyukhin View Post
yup, i think if your Gainey going for Kovy ,you remember how it went with Hossa.

So instead of tryting to front run, wait in the weeds(like Pittsburgh did) save the time and energy.

If he was going after Hossa, how could Kovy be any less of a prize?
Our team was doing well and considered a contender. We're not a contender. We'll probably make the playoffs again and go to the 2nd round at the best. If we did acquire Kovalchuk, we'd either have to sign him, or at least make it to the conference finals for it to be a good deal and not get Gainey's head on a platter.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:46 AM
Ginu

Again, you get him because he's Kovalchuk. How long has this team been crying out for a player of his calibre? What Montreal has been missing for the last 15 years is a franchise player. We have the opportunity to get one here especially considering the offers have been low. I know the offers have been low for a reason but if we offer Halak + Hamrlik + prospect/young roster player there are two pieces there that we would have wanted to deal anyways (one of our goalies and Hamrlik's contract). If we can get a player of Kovalchuk's calibre you do it. I understand he's a rental because we don't necessarily know if he'd stay but for two pieces that we're looking to deal anyways, we a) have the chance, and b) have the opportunity to show him Montreal. Dude, they call it the best place to play for a reason.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:47 AM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koivu2001 View Post
Since atlanta wants impact players to keep in the playoff race, I would offer Gomez, Georges, Pacman, and 1st 2010 for Kovy in a hearthbeat,I think its atractive for atlanta, then sing him for 12 millions for a long term with a lower cap hit, hey one can only dream. Isn't Markov a good friend of Kovalchuk? hell have 3 months to convience him to stay in Montreal and if he doest resing we still win on gomez contract.
I like it but I think adding Pacioretty is too much..
I would say though: Gomez and/or Gionta, Gorges, Dagostini or (any winger not named pacioretty in Hamilton) and a first, plus an additional first if he resigns.
Start there and see if atl's gm bites

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:58 AM
Sebaldian

Quote:
Honestly would not surprise me. I can come up with more reasons why other teams won't do it. Just a hunch. RT @OnSmashHaze: Kovalchuk to NJ?
http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/statuses/8622745528

Sebaldian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:01 AM
OneSharpMarble

Man I hope Boston gives up some big picks and prospects for him and they miss the playoffs anyways and Kovy walks away. That would be the best.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:12 AM
Biggsy

I am thinking out west

Biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:30 AM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Really? I don't want the Habs to deal 3 or 4 assets for a rental but how can you say the Habs have nothing Atlanta would want? Unless you're Don Waddell that is...

Waddell is apparently looking for a top 6 forward,a top 4 dman and a high pick/high end prospect...This is not a proposal but lets say if the Habs were interested..Top 6 forward = Andrei Kostitsyn...Top 4 dman = Josh Gorges...High end pick/Prospect = Habs 1st round pick this year or 1 of either Subban or Leblanc..I'd say that is an offer Atlanta would definitely consider for a player they can't sign...
People keep saying this over and over. I think if he comes to team for a trade like this there will be incentives...say if Kov signs then all is ok, if not the trading team gives up some picks.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:36 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koivu2001 View Post
I would offer a similar offer....Gomez, Hammer, Patches and Maxwell?

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:52 AM
Komarov47

Accordinf to McKenzie, Kovalchuk would go to NJ.... Good job Bob

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 03:35 AM
jiboy
Patience

vCash: 150
i remember a video or an article where Don Waddel explained how he traded Hossa

and Waddell seemed to be a kind of "action guy" he wants it to be exciting for him to make his "GM JOB"..because the "GM JOB" is to trade big player for big return and to take risks etc.

he was 5 minute before the trade deadline when he decided to trade Hossa to Pittsburgh..thats borderline crazy and not necessarly the best thing to do..

i think hes going to wait again for the limits because thats what "every good gm do" when they want to get the max value for a player..

jiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 07:21 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Let's be realistic Montreal has nothing Atlanta wants. Let's all pray Plekanec is still around next year because Montreal will be rotting in the standings for the next five years. On top of that, I don't see anyone that can do a better job than Gainey. We had some pretty big names come here under him. The only problem was they were on the decline or enigmatic. Tanguay, Bonk, Kovalev!!!
That's not being realistic, that's being dillusional.

If the Habs really wanted Kovalchuk I'm sure Gainey could get a deal done today...but he'd look like an idiot if he walks on July 1st and it could cost him his job.

Is Camalleri on the decline? Gionta? Gomez? Pouliot? The guys on the decline were actually shown the door and money was spent on other players.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 07:23 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
You don't think NJ is a possibility? MacKenzie is usually on the ball.

Old
02-04-2010, 07:38 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Look, I agree with you he's not a team player type guy. That being said he's never had a team to play with and no matter what, he is a generational talent regardless. Players if his calibre are extremely rare and valuable. Would I pay him more then Crosby or Ovy, my god no but he's a huge chip to add to your roster. Atl would have nothing if not for him. He's floated that joke of a franchise for years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
He's soo going to NJ. Per BobbyMac:

A case could be made. RT @NJerseyDevil: Dudley at Lowell game tonight + Waddell at NJ/Kings + Dudley also at NJ/Leafs. SOMETHING is up!

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 02-04-2010 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Merge
shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 07:51 AM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post

throw in both kost bros and hamrlik. Maybe that will mean a 2nd rd pick this year instead of first?

that would definately help out in the salary dept for signing kovy.

the kost bros could flourish in a new environment together.

only 1 more trade would be left, getting rid of a pleks that has a high market value for now, and getting a big skilled centre, or big skilled centre prospect. ( mueller ? )

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 08:05 AM
Prendan Brust

Quote:
Just here at HFBoards, you have about 250 posters that think they'd do a better job.

-----------------------------------------------------

I think Atlanta would probably consider an offer like :

O'Byrne (or Gorges), Kostitsyn 1st + mid level prospect

They might consider Plekanec if they're sure they can sign him. I doubt they take another risky UFA for Kovalchuk. They want to get something for next year... Something that could make them better.

Can we afford a deal like this? Not sure...

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 02-04-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Prendan Brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 08:13 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony View Post
I think Atlanta would probably consider an offer like :

O'Byrne (or Gorges), Kostitsyn 1st + mid level prospect

They might consider Plekanec if they're sure they can sign him. I doubt they take another risky UFA for Kovalchuk. They want to get something for next year... Something that could make them better.

Can we afford a deal like this? Not sure...
If Gianey does that without having a signed extension he should be fired immediately.

Old
02-04-2010, 08:28 AM
Prendan Brust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If Gianey does that without having a signed extension he should be fired immediately.
Agreed. But the competition to acquire Kovalchuk is fierce, so the price will be steep and it will be a risky acquisition.

Personally, I don't think it's in the habs best interest to try to get Kovalchuk. He's great but I don't think we're in an ideal situation to get him... Just my 2 cents.

Prendan Brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 08:47 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony View Post
Agreed. But the competition to acquire Kovalchuk is fierce, so the price will be steep and it will be a risky acquisition.

Personally, I don't think it's in the habs best interest to try to get Kovalchuk. He's great but I don't think we're in an ideal situation to get him... Just my 2 cents.
I'm not so sure the competition to acquire him is that fierce at all. To my understanding Atlanta is asking too much and teams are willing to wait for him to lower his demands. It's unfortunate for Atlanta, but it seems Kovalchuk has indicated he won't sign before July 1st. This makes him a short term transaction for any team.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote