HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Kovalchuk, Salmela traded to the Devils, for Oduya, Bergfors, Cormier and a first

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-04-2010, 10:47 AM
  #76
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Not surprising, I would. Carle's defense is weak but he can move the puck. His production is a product of playing with Chris freakin Pronger.

Moving his salary is nice also. Hartnell is a loss in front of the net, but not much elsewhere.

For Kovalchuk, sign me up.
What are the odds Hartnell waives his NTC? I don't mind losing either, but I wish we were offering Briere instead although I guess Atlanta isn't stupid enough to take on his contract.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 10:48 AM
  #77
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Meh, thats hoping Legein and Maroon even do that well.

If we dont give up JVR and just Gagne/Briere or something along that, Id be fine with having Kovy (and we have some cap space for him to resign. Maybe he goes alittle cheaper if he is a good hockey town).

I dont trust Carcillo on anything higher then the 4th line. JVR (if we still have him) hopefully can take over Hartnell spot in front of the net.
20-30 points isn't hard at all for a 3rd liner. Upshall did 30pts in 61 games in Philly.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 10:49 AM
  #78
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow
 
SeanL44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,270
vCash: 500
Also let's not forget Kovalchuk has said he doesn't want to play in a City that he will be in the papers everyday. I feel like he would become the Donovan McNabb of this team. "We won! Kovys the greatest player in franchise history!" "We lost? Kovy comes up short in big situations.."

SeanL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 10:49 AM
  #79
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
What are the odds Hartnell waives his NTC? I don't mind losing either, but I wish we were offering Briere instead although I guess Atlanta isn't stupid enough to take on his contract.
Briere and Coburn is a deal I'd do also, haha.

Then move Hartnell in the offseason to the Kings or something.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 10:51 AM
  #80
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanL44 View Post
Also let's not forget Kovalchuk has said he doesn't want to play in a City that he will be in the papers everyday. I feel like he would become the Donovan McNabb of this team. "We won! Kovys the greatest player in franchise history!" "We lost? Kovy comes up short in big situations.."
Bleh, whatever.

If he goes to the KHL, he would be the best player IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE. So going to Philly would be better in that sense.

Plus, it's the Flyers, they get overshadowed by D-Mac no matter what, even when the Eagles are in the off-season.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 10:56 AM
  #81
WJG
Running and Rioting
 
WJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Ireland
Posts: 12,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanL44 View Post
Also let's not forget Kovalchuk has said he doesn't want to play in a City that he will be in the papers everyday. I feel like he would become the Donovan McNabb of this team. "We won! Kovys the greatest player in franchise history!" "We lost? Kovy comes up short in big situations.."
I've heard this as well, but I've never seen or read any actual evidence of it.

If in fact Kovalchuk believes this, his options become limited to teams like Carolina and Tampa Bay, who can't afford him anyways due to their internal cap.

IMO, Kovalchuk strikes me as having a similar personality to Ovechkin. They want money, they want fame and most of all, they want to win. Whatever team can offer him all three will be the one he signs with (even if it's a KHL team).

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 10:58 AM
  #82
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
20-30 points isn't hard at all for a 3rd liner. Upshall did 30pts in 61 games in Philly.
I think its alittle easier said then done. Upshall wasnt that bad of a player, hense this season showing that he could score more when playing more time.

That being said, I think Legein has the best chance. Even though he has only 20 or so points, I watched alot of phantoms games and his line mates (first was Nodl and Ross, not Pyorala and Ross) arent finishing anything or giving him any good passes. Ross has been horrendous this season.

Legein next to Giroux, I think, could be a 30-40 point player...



Small update I guess you can say:

Quote:
Enter the Phialdelphia Flyers who could probably pull off this deal by moving a Daniel Briere and a Scott Hartnell among others. These players could certainly help Atlanta continue the important playoff push while helping the Thrashers moving forward.

This deal in all likelihood will be no different than the other deals we’ve seen in recent years. Whoever takes on Kovalchuk will likely be sending close to the same amount of dollars the other way. There aren’t too many clubs (especially Cup contenders) who can afford to take on Kovachuk’s salary without ridding themselves of close to the same amount of salary.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Andy-...k-Rats/5/26028

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:00 AM
  #83
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I think its alittle easier said then done. Upshall wasnt that bad of a player, hense this season showing that he could score more when playing more time.

That being said, I think Legein has the best chance. Even though he has only 20 or so points, I watched alot of phantoms games and his line mates (first was Nodl and Ross, not Pyorala and Ross) arent finishing anything or giving him any good passes. Ross has been horrendous this season.

Legein next to Giroux, I think, could be a 30-40 point player...
Exactly, Legein could get 30 points next to Giroux, which makes trading Hartnell and or Briere worth it.

Say we move Hartnell and Carle for Kovalchuk. Even adding JVR doesnt effect out top 2 lines.

Kovalchuk-Richards-Gagne
Powe-Carter-Briere
JVR-Giroux-Legein
Carcillo-Betts-Lappy

Pronger-Coburn
Timonen-Krajicek
Bartulis-Parent/OKT

Emery
Boucher/Leighton

I can live with that. Move Gagne/Briere/someone in the offseason to re-sign Kovalchuk and Emery and Coburn.

Flyers winning the cup is all I care about.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:01 AM
  #84
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Rangers dropping out of Kovalchuk race?

According to NY Post reporter Larry Brooks, posting via his Twitter account, the Thrashers are looking for a combination of packages that include: defenseman Marc Staal; defenseman Michael Del Zotto and forward Ryan Callahan; or Brandon Dubinsky and a first-round pick.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/nyr100204.html


Forget about Kovy.. lol

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:02 AM
  #85
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
According to NY Post reporter Larry Brooks, posting via his Twitter account, the Thrashers are looking for a combination of packages that include: defenseman Marc Staal; defenseman Michael Del Zotto and forward Ryan Callahan; or Brandon Dubinsky and a first-round pick.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/nyr100204.html


Forget about Kovy.. lol
Good. Let NYR cripple their future.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:03 AM
  #86
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
According to NY Post reporter Larry Brooks, posting via his Twitter account, the Thrashers are looking for a combination of packages that include: defenseman Marc Staal; defenseman Michael Del Zotto and forward Ryan Callahan; or Brandon Dubinsky and a first-round pick.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/nyr100204.html


Forget about Kovy.. lol

Sadly though...
Quote:
The Boston Bruins, Ottawa Senators and Calgary Flames have also reportedly balked at the asking price.
I dont see the Flyer's name in there.

Goodbye Giroux and JVR

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:04 AM
  #87
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Good. Let NYR cripple their future.
What Brooks forgets to mention is salary dump.. I mean NYR MUST move salary. Redden, Drury, Rozie who?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:05 AM
  #88
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Sadly though...


I dont see the Flyer's name in there.

Goodbye Giroux and JVR
It wouldn't be BOTH of them, just 1 ...


IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:05 AM
  #89
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
What are the odds Hartnell waives his NTC? I don't mind losing either, but I wish we were offering Briere instead although I guess Atlanta isn't stupid enough to take on his contract.
They were stupid enough to trade Coburn for Zhitnik. I wouldnt be surprised.

ShawnTHW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:06 AM
  #90
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
The team as constructed got shutout by a horrible, injured Oilers team. No one is untouchable.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:06 AM
  #91
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
It wouldn't be BOTH of them, just 1 ...

It is Homer we are talking about though.

Mr. Overpay himself...

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:07 AM
  #92
ryangib
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 515
vCash: 500
i only really came here to see what the kovy hype was like for other teams. i'm a devils fan. you guys are much more calm about this then we are. devils are never even mentioned during big trade rumours so its like christmas on the devils forum right now.

ryangib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:08 AM
  #93
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
It is Homer we are talking about though.

Mr. Overpay himself...
No ONE is stupid enough to trade both of them. No one.




I hope ...

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:08 AM
  #94
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangib View Post
i only really came here to see what the kovy hype was like for other teams. i'm a devils fan. you guys are much more calm about this then we are. devils are never even mentioned during big trade rumours so its like christmas on the devils forum right now.
I really DONT want Kovalchuk on the Devils. That would be a nightmare.

Honestly though, if I was them I would get it done. 2 of the best LW in the league on the same team gives them more offense, something they could use to win the Cup.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:16 AM
  #95
ryangib
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
I really DONT want Kovalchuk on the Devils. That would be a nightmare.

Honestly though, if I was them I would get it done. 2 of the best LW in the league on the same team gives them more offense, something they could use to win the Cup.
are you not a normal philly fan? i almost feel like me and you can have a conversation about opposing sports clubs with out fearing my life, even behind a computer? or would you say that fans in philly just have a bad rap. i was weary of even posting here.

ryangib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:20 AM
  #96
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangib View Post
are you not a normal philly fan? i almost feel like me and you can have a conversation about opposing sports clubs with out fearing my life, even behind a computer? or would you say that fans in philly just have a bad rap. i was weary of even posting here.
People hate us for just hating us. We are passionate about our team... like every other team is. People just start **** about us cause of how our team plays.

We wont eat you lol. You keep your cool on our boards (like not calling us out) and we can easily have a normal conversation.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:21 AM
  #97
UseYourAllusion
Registered User
 
UseYourAllusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 6,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangib View Post
are you not a normal philly fan? i almost feel like me and you can have a conversation about opposing sports clubs with out fearing my life, even behind a computer? or would you say that fans in philly just have a bad rap. i was weary of even posting here.
an unnecessarily bad rap

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:24 AM
  #98
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangib View Post
are you not a normal philly fan? i almost feel like me and you can have a conversation about opposing sports clubs with out fearing my life, even behind a computer? or would you say that fans in philly just have a bad rap. i was weary of even posting here.
Well, first of all you are not a Pens fan, so that's a huge plus. We have our delusional fans, but generally I find this board to be knowledgeable (and slightly biased obviously, however we are sometimes overly critical of our own guys)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
People hate us for just hating us. We are passionate about our team... like every other team is. People just start **** about us cause of how our team plays.

We wont eat you lol. You keep your cool on our boards (like not calling us out) and we can easily have a normal conversation.
Pretty much. I try to be as knowledgeable as possible about the sport in general, so I have no issue communicating with other teams fans.

It's those delusional Pens, Leafs, Habs fans that get me going. Oh man some of them are flat out comical.

You should be ok, you are here to talk hockey, not starting **** about Hartnell biting people or Richards trying to end Booth's life.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:27 AM
  #99
McNasty
Registered User
 
McNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rutgers
Country: United States
Posts: 5,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanL44 View Post
Call me a negative nancy but I think soon enough here we're going to have to embrace the fact that we probably won't be able to keep both JVR and Giroux in a couple years.
At this point Giroux hasn't done anything to warrant a huge extension. He'll get a raise David Krejci got what 3.75 coming off a 70 point season? I don't think he'll be in a position to command much more then 3 million on a short term deal. I mean it's tough to say how these things will go but you figure Gagne's money coming off should be enough to give Carter a raise and pay Giroux. JVR could still explode but I really doubt he gets to a point where we need to give him 5+ to keep him.

McNasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:37 AM
  #100
DenverBoone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 897
vCash: 500
Dang. I don't know what Carle needs to do to not be mentioned in almost every trade scenario. If they did indeed offer him, too bad. I mean me being a homer aside, he has earned his salary this year, and he still is getting mentioned. Krajicek might be good enough plug for Carle, but I don't want to see the poor ******* waste away in Atlanta for chrissakes!

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.