HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

So, what are everyone's thoughts on Emery at this point?

Old
02-04-2010, 01:12 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 122
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Good news. That is why he has started so much few weeks. The organization wanted to get a good look at him. They really need to sign him IMO for awhile, we aren't getting anyone better. He's not great but he will get the job done.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:21 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

Similar link, but from CSNPhilly:

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...788&feedID=704
Quote:
he Flyers are planning to talk to Ray Emery’s agent in March about a contract extension.

General manager Paul Holmgren told CSNPhilly.com that he would be amendable to discussing a contract extension in-season, rather than wait till the off-season.

As far as the Flyers are concerned, they’ve seen enough of Emery to make their goalie for the foreseeable future beyond this season.

“We’d probably start talking about it after the Olympics and once the trade deadline passes,” said Flyer president Peter Luukko. “Right now, it’s a busy time with other things.”

Old
02-04-2010, 01:32 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
I love goalies that miss extended time with injury and suck on breakaways. Sign 'em up!

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:37 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I love goalies that miss extended time with injury and suck on breakaways. Sign 'em up!
Fair enough argument, what is your solution?

edit: Keep in mind I won't argue. I just want to know what you think.

Old
02-04-2010, 08:04 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post

There is none.

I wouldn't mind waiting till the offseason and going after Biron again, might be cheap, but with the Flyers current salary setup, there's no solution. Holmgren will probably get Emery to accept an el cheapo deal and hope we can keep getting decent play from backups.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 08:52 AM
IceDaddy
Bound for Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Well, first of all, of your list only Brodeur, Luongo, Lundqvist, Miller, Vokoun, Backstrom, Kiprusof, and Nabokov are substantially better than Emery. Bolded are the elites, and the rest make up the rest of the upper echelon of goaltending in the NHL.

Thomas, Ward, Fleury, Quick, Hiller, and Emery all sit in the next tier right now.

Then you have players like Roloson, Bryzgalov, Anderson, and Smith.

Then you have your Huet, Osgood, Theodore, Elliot, Turco, C. Mason, and Hedberg.

Then you have guys that really don't know where they fall yet: Varlamov, Rask, Howard, Rinne, S. Mason, Pavelec, Price, Halak, etc.

Your post was also misleading particularly when you said that Emery gets his wins because the Flyers are so good. So does Fleurry, Thomas, Kiprusof, Nabokov, Bryzgalov, Anderson, Smith, Huet, Osgood, Theodore, Elliot, etc.

Pretty much every goalie outside the elite 4 is in danger of drastic swings in production depending on the talent of the team they have in front of them.

Goaltending is necessary to put a good team on the ice. Goaltenders have to be consistent and useful. Other than that, they are the most overrated and useless position in hockey. They are static beings by nature, doomed to ever be impacted instead of making an impact themselves. Sure they can get hot or cold, but the reality of the goaltending position in hockey is that unless you are the best of the best, you live and die by the talent in front of you. Everything from team speed, passing, skating, goal-scoring, depth, defense, forechecking, backchecking, the system, etc effects your goaltending to the point where it's almost impossible to get a read on how well a goaltender is doing outside of whether or not he is doing his job by not letting in soft goals. Most starting NHL goaltenders have the skill necessary to get a good team to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Just because you assume Emery doesn't have the skill that some of the other goalies have doesn't make your opinion a correct one.
I think most people would agree that The Penguins, The Sabres, The Devils, are better or close to the Flyers. Having said that, how comfortable are you going in to a playoff series where both teams are roughly the same, but the other team has Miller, Brodeur, Fleury and the Flyers have Emery?

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 09:04 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
hopefully Emery's injury brings his asking price down

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 09:47 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
I think most people would agree that The Penguins, The Sabres, The Devils, are better or close to the Flyers. Having said that, how comfortable are you going in to a playoff series where both teams are roughly the same, but the other team has Miller, Brodeur, Fleury and the Flyers have Emery?
The Sabres and Devils are where they are because of goaltending.
A case could be made for goaltending being the only reason.
Miller is playing fantastic and Brodeur is Brodeur, that's why they are that good this season.
As for skaters, I doubt that both, Buffalo and NJ, are better or close to what the Flyers can offer.

dookie88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 09:50 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
The Sabres and Devils are where they are because of goaltending.
A case could be made for goaltending being the only reason.
Miller is playing fantastic and Brodeur is Brodeur, that's why they are that good this season.
As for skaters, I doubt that both, Buffalo and NJ, are better or close to what the Flyers can offer.
Goaltending might be the only reason for the Sabres, but NJ has a pretty good all around team as well.

NJ and Washington are better than the Flyers. Pittsburgh is a maybe. The other teams, probably not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
hopefully Emery's injury brings his asking price down
After going to the finals with Ottawa as a 23 year old, Emery signed a contract worth $3.17 per year over three years.

I'd be okay with that kind of contract for Emery here, but it'd be nice to get him somewhere around $2.75.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
Not that worried other than with Brodeur, because even if he isn't hot he's got a good team in front of him. It would take a very hot Miller I think to lift his team over ours in a series. Fleury and Emery in my mind is a wash and depends on which goalie is hotter. In my mind, in both those cases, the team makes the goalie, not vise versa.

Last edited by CS: 02-04-2010 at 09:56 AM.
CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post

Well, for starters...Holmgren would need to commit himself to carving out actual salary space for a starting goalie. If Emery signs again for cheap, fine...whatever. However, I don't view him as a long-term solution that is going to take us anywhere special.

As to what...I don't know. If we had any draft picks I would love to have dealt for Halak and seen how he played out.

Old
02-04-2010, 11:03 AM
mtxed

So he's hurt and out now? Gawd.

mtxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:09 AM
ArmchairGM

At the very least I think he can be a gap stop until a prospect is ready or their is more cap space. 4 year 11.5 million contract would be nice. Especially considering he's still getting paid by Ottawa.

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
It would take a very hot Miller I think to lift his team over ours in a series. Fleury and Emery in my mind is a wash and depends on which goalie is hotter. In my mind, in both those cases, the team makes the goalie, not vise versa.
What world are you living in bro? The Flyers must win every night there.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:52 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
What world are you living in bro? The Flyers must win every night there.
I don't think the Penguins are a better team than us.

I do however think that we are unlucky against them.

I also believe that Staal's line used to rip apart our defense because they weren't physical enough. Staal absolutely preyed on Timonen last postseason.

Pronger should be able to put a stop to that.

I also think if that terrible call hadn't happened in game 2 we had a nice momentum swing in our favor. It also didn't help to have a coach who didn't know how to protect leads in game 6.

That's the world I'm living in. Emery and Fleury do not matter. The ability for our team to successfully stop Malkin and Crosby while not getting destroyed by the Staal line's forechecking will be the difference if we meet up again. If we can do that, we can beat the Penguins.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Jester

Pittsburgh...is a better team than us. They have finished above us, and beaten us in the last two playoffs...and had success against us this year. Are they an order of magnitude better? No, not when we are playing well...but you make your own luck, as they say, so that's a poor thing to fall back on, IMO.

MAF > Emery

Crosby, Malkin > Richards, Carter

Timonen, Pronger > Gonchar, Orpik

I think we have better depth, but Staal is an absolute killer for us when it comes to matching up (as he is with everyone when he's scoring). We can beat 'em...we could have beaten 'em last year with a few small breaks along the way, but they've earned the right to claim they're better than us.

Old
02-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Dan85

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post
At the very least I think he can be a gap stop until a prospect is ready or their is more cap space. 4 year 11.5 million contract would be nice. Especially considering he's still getting paid by Ottawa.
Wouldn't Cechmanek, Esche, Biron and Niitymaki all be considered "gap stops"? Look where that got the Flyers.

Dan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
I don't think the Penguins are a better team than us.

I do however think that we are unlucky against them.
Luck is for gamblers. The Flyers didn't lose the flip of a coin, or a penalty shot, or one period of one game, or even an entire game, they lost a 7 game series......think about that 7 games.

The better team wins a 7 game series. The Penguins won, in 6 games, and sealed it out on the road in a game that they were down 3 goals in. If you don't think they were the better team you're kidding yourself.

Quote:
I also believe that Staal's line used to rip apart our defense because they weren't physical enough. Staal absolutely preyed on Timonen last postseason.

Pronger should be able to put a stop to that.

I also think if that terrible call hadn't happened in game 2 we had a nice momentum swing in our favor. It also didn't help to have a coach who didn't know how to protect leads in game 6.
A coach that didn't know how to protect leads, nice. Stevens was bad, but I'm not about to lay all the blame at his feet for blowing a three goal lead. That's on everybody. I wonder what you had to say about Stevens back when he was a Flyer.

Game 2? You mean the game where Fleury used his go-go-gadget leg to absolutely stone Carter in the final minutes to get the game to overtime? But Fleury doesn't matter right?

Bad calls happen. They are part of the game. Stanley Cup winners kill off penalties from bad calls. I'm not gonna blast them for it, but the Flyers didn't kill that one. Whatever, everyone can't be a Stanley Cup caliber team.

Quote:
That's the world I'm living in. Emery and Fleury do not matter.
Did Fleury not matter when he gave his entire team the night off for game four and walked out of the Wach with a win anyway (stopping 44 of 45 shots against)? Did he not matter on the aforementioned telescopic leg save that eventually led to a 2-0 series lead?

We should take up a collection to get you a plexiglass stomach so you can see whats obvious to everyone else, because you're certainly not willing to pull your head out of your ass.

Quote:
The ability for our team to successfully stop Malkin and Crosby while not getting destroyed by the Staal line's forechecking will be the difference if we meet up again. If we can do that, we can beat the Penguins.
Well you certainly said a lot there didn't you. That's a Maddenism if ever I've seen one ("If they score more points, they'll win the game!").

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 11:03 AM
IceDaddy
Bound for Glory

Quote:
Luck is for gamblers. The Flyers didn't lose the flip of a coin, or a penalty shot, or one period of one game, or even an entire game, they lost a 7 game series......think about that 7 games.

The better team wins a 7 game series. The Penguins won, in 6 games, and sealed it out on the road in a game that they were down 3 goals in. If you don't think they were the better team you're kidding yourself.

A coach that didn't know how to protect leads, nice. Stevens was bad, but I'm not about to lay all the blame at his feet for blowing a three goal lead. That's on everybody. I wonder what you had to say about Stevens back when he was a Flyer.

Game 2? You mean the game where Fleury used his go-go-gadget leg to absolutely stone Carter in the final minutes to get the game to overtime? But Fleury doesn't matter right?

Bad calls happen. They are part of the game. Stanley Cup winners kill off penalties from bad calls. I'm not gonna blast them for it, but the Flyers didn't kill that one. Whatever, everyone can't be a Stanley Cup caliber team.

Did Fleury not matter when he gave his entire team the night off for game four and walked out of the Wach with a win anyway (stopping 44 of 45 shots against)? Did he not matter on the aforementioned telescopic leg save that eventually led to a 2-0 series lead?

We should take up a collection to get you a plexiglass stomach so you can see whats obvious to everyone else, because you're certainly not willing to pull your head out of your ass.

Well you certainly said a lot there didn't you. That's a Maddenism if ever I've seen one ("If they score more points, they'll win the game!").

Pwned

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Dan85

Quote:
Nicely said. The whole post was awesome, but this part was by far the best.

Dan85 is offline   Reply With Quote