HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalchuk, Salmela traded to the Devils, for Oduya, Bergfors, Cormier and a first

Old
02-04-2010, 12:38 PM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I'm starting to get a feeling we'll end up with him, not happy.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:40 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post

See right now, I can easily say "I don't want Kovalchuk on the Flyers." If they do trade for him, barring some absurd overpayment, I'd probably be uncontainably giddy.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:41 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
Dang. I don't know what Carle needs to do to not be mentioned in almost every trade scenario. If they did indeed offer him, too bad. I mean me being a homer aside, he has earned his salary this year, and he still is getting mentioned. Krajicek might be good enough plug for Carle, but I don't want to see the poor ******* waste away in Atlanta for chrissakes!
That is why NHL players should NOT sign contracts above their talent level, they become throwaway players who get traded.

A $3.5 mill defenseman who can't play solid defense is basically going to be a salary throw-in at this point.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:44 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
If they trade Hartnell, Coburn, Nodl, and Marshall/Bourdon, why would you not be happy?

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Darren Elliot was just on Fan590, (analyst for the Thrashers, writes for SI.com among others) he says we're definitely in on it.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:45 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
At this point Giroux hasn't done anything to warrant a huge extension. He'll get a raise David Krejci got what 3.75 coming off a 70 point season? I don't think he'll be in a position to command much more then 3 million on a short term deal. I mean it's tough to say how these things will go but you figure Gagne's money coming off should be enough to give Carter a raise and pay Giroux. JVR could still explode but I really doubt he gets to a point where we need to give him 5+ to keep him.
In a perfect world this is what our team should look like in three years provided we somehow move Briere:

Gagne (3.50) - Richards (5.75) - Hartnell (4.20)
vanRiemsdyk (3.75) - Carter (5.75) - Giroux (3.75)
Maroon (1.20) - Wellwood (0.60) - Legein (1.20)
Carcillo (1.50) - Powe (1.50) - Nodl (1.00)

Pronger (4.92) - Coburn (2.75)
Timonen (6.33) - Parent (1.75)
Marshall (1.20) - Bourdon (1.20)

Emery (3.50)
Riopel (0.90)

Total: 56.25

Welcome to my pipe-dream scenario.

So, I say Briere + Carle for rental Kovalchuk!

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:46 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
In a perfect world this is what our team should look like in three years provided we somehow move Briere:

Emery (3.50)
Riopel (0.90)

Dont particularly like that 3rd line. They will have to show some great team chemistry for that to pay off.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:50 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

Emery (3.50)
Riopel (0.90)

So, I say Briere + Carle for rental Kovalchuk!

Hmm, I'd say maybe Eriksson as the backup. By then he will be 22/23. Hopefully he will be ready. Instead of Nodl, Id go with a vet. It has shown that 4th line vets help the team out alot. I doubt Lappy will still be around, but players like him are always needed. Also, as much as I like Powe, I think we would need a 4th line vet center too.

Oh and Wellwood is a left wing.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Darren Elliot was just on Fan590, (analyst for the Thrashers, writes for SI.com among others) he says we're definitely in on it.
Thank you storm.. keep posting..

****.. we can get Kovalchuk!

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:52 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
See right now, I can easily say "I don't want Kovalchuk on the Flyers." If they do trade for him, barring some absurd overpayment, I'd probably be uncontainably giddy.
Oh yeah me too without a doubt, but there's just so many things that could go wrong, starting with the fact that to resign him, we'd have to somehow get rid of Hartnell and Briere and even then, I don't feel good about paying guys more than 7.5 mill unless it's Sid/Malkin/Ovie.

Old
02-04-2010, 12:54 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I will be pretty pissed if we traded Giroux/JVR.

Like REALLY mad...

Also, if this is just for a rental (aka if we cant sign him), I'll be even more pissed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I can't believe Holmgren could be THAT stupid.
I understand that there is a loyalty to players on the Flyers. And I like JVR and Giroux as much as the next, but if we can get him here long term I don't know who you would be upset about it. Giroux and JVR will likely be good players in the NHL. Neither of them will be Kovalchuk. If it is for a rental, ok then that is a terrible move (unless we win the Cup). But if we can get Kovalchuk here long term, I would trade anyone on this team except for Richards.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:54 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
I woke up and thought about it today. I have the same exact feeling, just yesterday, I was saying how the Kings will end up on him. But as time past, I think we'll end up with him.

I'm all for getting rid of Briere, I'm a big Danny fan as well. Players I'm not crazy about getting rid of are; Giroux, and JVR. Everyone else, I would hate to lose however, I'd get over it.

What is league maximum? I'm hearing he wants the biggest contract in the game. I'm not sure if he is quite worth that.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:55 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Hmm, I'd say maybe Eriksson as the backup. By then he will be 22/23. Hopefully he will be ready. Instead of Nodl, Id go with a vet. It has shown that 4th line vets help the team out alot. I doubt Lappy will still be around, but players like him are always needed. Also, as much as I like Powe, I think we would need a 4th line vet center too.

Oh and Wellwood is a left wing.
I know what position Wellwood plays, but I think he's defensively responsible enough to handle a third line center role.

As I said, it's just a dream scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I woke up and thought about it today. I have the same exact feeling, just yesterday, I was saying how the Kings will end up on him. But as time past, I think we'll end up with him.

I'm all for getting rid of Briere, I'm a big Danny fan as well. Players I'm not crazy about getting rid of are; Giroux, and JVR. Everyone else, I would hate to lose however, I'd get over it.

What is league maximum? I'm hearing he wants the biggest contract in the game. I'm not sure if he is quite worth that.
In the Kovalchuk trade, the only players I consider untouchable are JVR, Giroux, Richards, Carter, Timonen, and Pronger. If we come away without moving any of those I'll be able to live with the deal.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:57 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:

11.4 million I believe.

Old
02-04-2010, 12:57 PM
IrishSniper87

I'm starting to think the team might just rent Kovalchuk using Hartnell and Carle.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:58 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Oh yeah me too without a doubt, but there's just so many things that could go wrong, starting with the fact that to resign him, we'd have to somehow get rid of Hartnell and Briere and even then, I don't feel good about paying guys more than 7.5 mill unless it's Sid/Malkin/Ovie.
However it goes down, it's such a "video game" trade. Acquiring a legit superstar would be beyond exciting.

Old
02-04-2010, 12:59 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
However it goes down, it's such a "video game" trade. Acquiring a legit superstar would be beyond exciting.
Yeah it would be. I remember thinking we just mortgaged our future in the Pronger trade, but being really excited anyways.

I dunno, a part of me wants it, the smart part of me doesn't.

EDIT: Damn, that sounds gay.

Old
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
I'm starting to think the team might just rent Kovalchuk using Hartnell and Carle.
So we are trading 13-16 goals and a bunch of Hartnells penalty minutes?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Thank you storm.. keep posting..

****.. we can get Kovalchuk!
I would if I had the time. I should be sleeping now (got home from work at 6:30am), but got woken up.

Quote:

In no way, shape, or form is Kovalchuk worth more than Crosby, Malkin, or Ovechkin. He can go **** himself if these contract demands are legit.

On the other hand, I think some of these numbers are exaggerated if it's true that he turned down a huge offer to stay with the Thrashers (an offer rumoured to be more than Ovechkin's deal).

Old
02-04-2010, 01:00 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I understand that there is a loyalty to players on the Flyers. And I like JVR and Giroux as much as the next, but if we can get him here long term I don't know who you would be upset about it. Giroux and JVR will likely be good players in the NHL. Neither of them will be Kovalchuk. If it is for a rental, ok then that is a terrible move (unless we win the Cup). But if we can get Kovalchuk here long term, I would trade anyone on this team except for Richards.
This is a good point, I wasn't happy about losing Sbisa, but at this point I can't say I miss him. If Kovalchuk comes here and stinks it up for 10 years while Giroux/JVR become perennial all stars sure that would suck. But I don't think thats as likely as people like to think.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:00 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
I would if I had the time. I should be sleeping now (got home from work at 6:30am), but got woken up.

In no way, shape, or form is Kovalchuk worth more than Crosby, Malkin, or Ovechkin. He can go **** himself if these contract demands are legit.

On the other hand, I think some of these numbers are exaggerated if it's true that he turned down a huge offer to stay with the Thrashers (an offer rumoured to be more than Ovechkin's deal).
He turned down 12 years 100 million I believe.

Old
02-04-2010, 01:01 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
If it came down between JVR and Giroux, Id **** slap JVR and tell him to **** off.

Then rub out to a picture of Giroux.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:02 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
If it came down between JVR and Giroux, Id **** slap JVR and tell him to **** off.

Then rub out to a picture of Giroux.
Only cause he looks like Foppa.

Old
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:

I agree with everything there.

I didn't think Brian Campbell would make the money he makes from Chicago when he was demanding it.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
He turned down 12 years 100 million I believe.
I thought it was more, but can't say I really paid that close attention. I still say **** him if $100 million is not good enough over any amount of years. When you're talking numbers like that it's just getting stupidly greedy. You're set for life for playing a game for a few years.