HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Red Wings Mid-Season Prospect Rankings [#3]

View Poll Results: #3 Red Wings Prospect
(F) Joakim Andersson 0 0%
(F) Cory Emmerton 0 0%
(F) Landon Ferraro 3 8.82%
(F) Jan Mursak 9 26.47%
(F) Gustav Nyquist 5 14.71%
(F) Mattias Ritola 1 2.94%
(D) Adam Almqvist 0 0%
(D) Brendan Smith 16 47.06%
(G) Daniel Larsson 0 0%
(G) Thomas McCollum 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-03-2010, 12:19 PM
jacK

vCash: 500
Red Wings Mid-Season Prospect Rankings [#3]

RWC's updated rankings: link
r0bert8841's prospect tracker: link
previous polls: [#1] [#2]

even with all the 'hate', Kindl's our #2.

vote for #3, tell us why, tell me who to add... lather, rinse, repeat.
added for round 3, Adam Almqvist.

Results:
#1 - (F) Tomas Tatar - 45.45%
#2 - (D) Jakub Kindl - 48.08%

jacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 01:07 PM
zackisonfire*

I've got Mursak here. He's just too talented to not make at the least a solid energy type guy and he's still got time to work on his consistency/strength to be more than that.

add lashoff

Last edited by zackisonfire*: 02-03-2010 at 04:02 PM.
zackisonfire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 01:08 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Brendan Smith.

Add Nestrasil.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 01:18 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Brendan Smith.

Add Nestrasil.
this.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 01:27 PM
probertrules24
Down with the Bruins

Voted: Smith

Add: Lashoff

probertrules24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 01:29 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Mursak again, since he didn't get the 2 spot. Otherwise, Nyquist is my #3.

1. Tatar
2. Mursak
3. Nyquist

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Birko19

Hmm, no love for Nyquist? The guy is dominating the NCAA in his second year, not to mention he had a very solid freshman year also.

Birko19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 01:58 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Still voting hard for Mursak, with Smith and Nyquist to follow.

Add Nestrasil

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 02:25 PM
heyfolks

Nyquist

Not sold on Mursak's remarkable turn around and I am not a huge Ritola fan just yet. based on that elusive word "potential" I am torn between the NCAA boys. If Smith can learn to play D in a competent manner, given his substantial offensive skills, he will be an impact player in the NHL. Nyquist is a different, but thesame type of story. He has the tools, he just needs to grow into his man body,hit the gym etc. I give the nod to the Bear.

Last edited by heyfolks: 02-03-2010 at 08:39 PM.
heyfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 04:30 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Still voting hard for Mursak, with Smith and Nyquist to follow.

Add Nestrasil
This.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 04:36 PM
r0bert8841

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyfolks View Post
Not sold on Mursak's remarkable turn around
Could you elaborate?

Old
02-03-2010, 08:38 PM
heyfolks

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post
Could you elaborate?

Sure. Mursak struggled last season and I mean S-T-R-U-G-G-L-E-D. He was a healthy scratch for the Grifs on many nights. - He played in 51 game and had only 2goals and 7 assists. He did not make the clear day roster in March and did not suit up for 6 of 10 playoff games.

He has had a remarkable turn around year and, in that regard, I give him full marks. I just do not believe he has shown enough to go from a part-time Grif player to a top 3 prospect.

Great skater, soft hands and, for a little guy, he is pretty tough. I like him and he has moved up a ton in most books. that said, he won't crack the top 5 this season.

Old
02-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Anchor Town

Smith
Mursak
Nyqvist are my next three

add Kosolov

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:06 PM
r0bert8841

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyfolks View Post
Sure. Mursak struggled last season and I mean S-T-R-U-G-G-L-E-D. He was a healthy scratch for the Grifs on many nights. - He played in 51 game and had only 2goals and 7 assists. He did not make the clear day roster in March and did not suit up for 6 of 10 playoff games.

He has had a remarkable turn around year and, in that regard, I give him full marks. I just do not believe he has shown enough to go from a part-time Grif player to a top 3 prospect.

Great skater, soft hands and, for a little guy, he is pretty tough. I like him and he has moved up a ton in most books. that said, he won't crack the top 5 this season.
Good points. I have more of a "what have you done for me lately" mentality. What he has done this season is really impressive, especially with this Griffins team stacked with skillless grinders. But I guess he needs to keep it up for him to jump that high.

Old
02-03-2010, 09:29 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

Ferraro is going to be a gem.

GT500x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500x View Post
Ferraro is going to be a gem.

Yeah, considering he was drafted higher than the tatar... how did tatar leapfrog him? Injury?

Old
02-03-2010, 09:46 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Brendan Smith.

Add Nestrasil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
this.
This x2

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 06:32 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Yeah, considering he was drafted higher than the tatar... how did tatar leapfrog him? Injury?
different development curve maybe?

and taking one player later than another doesn't mean they think he's worth. the wings often took a worse player earlier because they knew that others want him and took a better player later because he would still be there. hakan explained that in a TV interview a while ago. it's about getting them all and to not draft in your own order.

Old
02-04-2010, 10:17 AM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I think it has more to do with Tatar's performance and accomplishments since he was drafted, than it does with Ferraro's injury. Imo, Tatar and Ferraro were on about equal footing when they were picked, with Ferraro being the safer pick and Tatar being more of a high-risk/high-reward type; the kid with the higher ceiling. Ferraro's injury doesn't help him, but he'd have to be absolutely tearing up the WHL to eclipse Tatar this season, who has the highest points-per-game ratio on an AHL team.

Old
02-04-2010, 10:36 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
I think it has more to do with Tatar's performance and accomplishments since he was drafted, than it does with Ferraro's injury.
tatar wasn't really scouted much by other teams. the wings on the other hand watched him a lot. so i guess he's more of a "find".

and while the current season and accomplishments are important for the fans, the more important thing for NHL teams is what they might do in the future.
i mean, most on hfboards talk about stats. it's only stats. but the scouts have a much harder job. they have to look at the potential. so tatar might be ahead of ferraro at the moment, but will he be in the future?

Old
02-04-2010, 11:28 AM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
tatar wasn't really scouted much by other teams. the wings on the other hand watched him a lot. so i guess he's more of a "find".

and while the current season and accomplishments are important for the fans, the more important thing for NHL teams is what they might do in the future.
i mean, most on hfboards talk about stats. it's only stats. but the scouts have a much harder job. they have to look at the potential. so tatar might be ahead of ferraro at the moment, but will he be in the future?
I don't think those two items are mutually exclusive. How a player performs now has a lot to do with how they project in the future. Tatar, succeeding the way he is as a 19-year old in the AHL, bodes well for his NHL future.

Old
02-04-2010, 11:41 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
I don't think those two items are mutually exclusive. How a player performs now has a lot to do with how they project in the future. Tatar, succeeding the way he is as a 19-year old in the AHL, bodes well for his NHL future.
sure, but some players takes longer and have to develop other aspects than scoring first.
tatar's easy transition to NA is a very good thing. no doubt about it. but what does it tell us about his future and his upside?

it's hard to compare his development to players who are in juniors right now and maybe working on defense or something else.

don't get me wrong, i'm glad tatar is doing fine, but it doesn't necessarily mean he's climbing on the depth chart or getting ahead of others. ferraro for example is stuck in juniors. unlike tatar he can't show how ready he is. so i just don't think ferraro was leapfrogged by tatar.

Old
02-04-2010, 11:41 AM
doublejack

Quote:
different development curve maybe?

and taking one player later than another doesn't mean they think he's worth. the wings often took a worse player earlier because they knew that others want him and took a better player later because he would still be there. hakan explained that in a TV interview a while ago. it's about getting them all and to not draft in your own order.
This.

Ferraro, playing in juniors, was scouted very heavily. Tatar may or may not have been higher on the Wings draft board, but because he played in Europe he wasn't scouted to the same extent. That made it more likely he'd be available later on. When teams make decisions in crunch time, they stick with what they are most familiar & comfortable.

Detroit has used the same logic for a very long time, sandbagging picks until later because they were pretty confident they'd still be on the board. If I'm not mistaken Zetterberg falls into that category, as one example.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 07:16 PM
heyfolks

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post
Good points. I have more of a "what have you done for me lately" mentality. What he has done this season is really impressive, especially with this Griffins team stacked with skillless grinders. But I guess he needs to keep it up for him to jump that high.
Thanks.

I do agree with your comments on the over-all Grif roster. When the team is down and/or weak, it is hard to pick-up on who is doing well. One could argue the entire roster is horrible over the past 7 games (ouch) but that is rarely the case. Many also discuss the increased number of games, but it is also the travel and compression of the schedule. Heck even in last year's post season the Grifs were bused in and played 3 games in 4 days. That takes its toll on the best of players.

I like Fraser and stil have hopes this roster can makeit into the post season. Dumping Nylander and adding Gator will help.

Old
02-04-2010, 10:00 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

Quote:
sure, but some players takes longer and have to develop other aspects than scoring first.tatar's easy transition to NA is a very good thing. no doubt about it. but what does it tell us about his future and his upside?

it's hard to compare his development to players who are in juniors right now and maybe working on defense or something else.

don't get me wrong, i'm glad tatar is doing fine, but it doesn't necessarily mean he's climbing on the depth chart or getting ahead of others. ferraro for example is stuck in juniors. unlike tatar he can't show how ready he is. so i just don't think ferraro was leapfrogged by tatar.
agrees with this.

GT500x is offline   Reply With Quote