HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Dallas interested in Goligoski

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-04-2010, 12:11 PM
  #26
Fraction Jackson
Registered User
 
Fraction Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copenhagen View Post
Dallas : Gologoski , Tangradi , Sneep , 1st 2010

Pitt: Benn, Neal, Fistric


i may be way off
If this happened I would cry tears of pure joy.

Also, if we managed Goligoski for Benn + Fistric somehow I'd be really happy too. I don't think that happens, but Benn is a cheap winger with potential and Fistric is the kind of physical, crease-clearing, intimidating D that we could use. It'd be like having two Orpiks, only Fistric is even stronger I think even if he's less polished at the NHL level. A defense with Orpik, Fistric, Eaton and McKee would give Fleury a lot of support and make us annoying as hell to play against.

The main issue I would see with doing that is we'd lose some of our puck-moving ability from the back end. Despres aside, there's not a lot in the system to make up for that going forward; Sneep isn't guaranteed, I'm not sold on Alex Grant very much, Strait isn't really a puck-mover and of course neither is Lovejoy. The only guy who would really fill Goligoski's role would be Velischek - he seems like a very similar style of player, but of course he's a few years away even in the best case scenario and we have no idea how he will turn out.

Still, with that problem in mind, I would still do Goligoski for Benn + Fistric without much thought.

Fraction Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:11 PM
  #27
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u
 
HandshakeLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 18,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
I think I'd take Neal before Eriksson. But both are good.
Oh me too. Which means that it's not going to happen.

I could see a minor swap for someone like Ott though. Definitely an under-the-radar player that would be good for the stretch run. I wonder who Dallas would want, though?

Goligoski's an overpayment by himself for a Steve Ott rental.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:13 PM
  #28
AgentM
Registered User
 
AgentM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Allison Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,825
vCash: 500
I remember reading a rumor that we talked to Dallas about sending Ryan Whitney there last year. Shero asked for Neal and that killed the talks. Don't know if that was true at all though.

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:15 PM
  #29
johnniewalker
Registered User
 
johnniewalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
I was just thrown off when I didnt see Benn in the lineup.
That's because I'm stupid and apparently have such a short attention span that I forgot about Benn halfway through my own post about acquiring him.

Sorry... Allow me to revise that

Benn - Crosby - Kunitz (switchable for whichever could play RW more comfortably)
Malkin - Staal - Guerin
Cooke - Ott - Kennedy
Rupp - Talbot - Fedotenko

Trade, Waive or Scratch: Dupuis/Godard/Adams

johnniewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:17 PM
  #30
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
I remember reading a rumor that we talked to Dallas about sending Ryan Whitney there last year. Shero asked for Neal and that killed the talks. Don't know if that was true at all though.
That's what word on the street was. I can't see Dallas parting with Eriksson or Neal.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:17 PM
  #31
johnniewalker
Registered User
 
johnniewalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
Why would Dallas trade away any of their big forward talent though? None have unreasonable contracts. They've got a pretty good foundation for when Modano leaves and the old guard is gone. Sure they might love to have Gogs or Tanger but I don't see them as being so deep at F they can afford to just swap away. They'd be trading one problem for another down the road pretty much. I think Dallas needs to just keep on keepin' on, find a good replacement for Turco and in a year or two they'll be a very solid team.
Benn might be expendable for them because they took Scott Glennie 8th overall last year in the draft. If they feel he is coming along well, it might be possible for them to move him.

johnniewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:19 PM
  #32
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u
 
HandshakeLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 18,067
vCash: 500
If the Pens ARE interested in Ott, (and that's a big IF) you'd think that means that they're planning on keeping Staal on Malkin's line for a while longer. He's sort of the 2nd most ideal third line center we could get, I think.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:20 PM
  #33
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
I just wish the trade deadline would be here and gone already. I'm getting tired of hearing all of these so called rumors.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:20 PM
  #34
vecens24
Registered User
 
vecens24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
Oh me too. Which means that it's not going to happen.

I could see a minor swap for someone like Ott though. Definitely an under-the-radar player that would be good for the stretch run. I wonder who Dallas would want, though?

Goligoski's an overpayment by himself for a Steve Ott rental.
I'm gonna go the other route on this. I would take Eriksson before I took Neal. I'm fairly convinced that Eriksson is a younger version of Marian Hossa, with great goal scoring ability, ability to play in all situations including the PK, fast, just everything you could possibly want in a winger. Plus, he's signed this year at 1.6M and then the next 4 years after that 4.25M. So we have him until he's 28, at 4.25M, playing with one of the two centers (probably Crosby because a line of Kunitz-Crosby-Eriksson sends chills up my spine offensively as well as defensively).

Neal on the other hand, is an RFA this offseason and with scoring totals of 24 in his rookie year, and probably close to 30 this year with 65 points, he's goign to get wayyyyy overpaid this offseason I think. Something in the area of 5M-5.5M would not be out of the question I don't think if they wanted to lock him up through some UFA years. I'll take Eriksson contract that's already taken care of and cheap over Neal. Plus I just think Eriksson is a better player at this stage in his career. More polished, does more things to help a team win than Neal does.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:22 PM
  #35
vecens24
Registered User
 
vecens24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
If we could pull off a Steve Ott and Jamie Benn for Alex Goligoski and a 2nd/3rd rounder I'd be pretty stoked. Also like I said earlier, a Benn and Skrastins for Gogo and a 3rd/4th sounds okay to me too.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:24 PM
  #36
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains
 
Hans Rutherford's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
That's because I'm stupid and apparently have such a short attention span that I forgot about Benn halfway through my own post about acquiring him.

Sorry... Allow me to revise that

Benn - Crosby - Kunitz (switchable for whichever could play RW more comfortably)
Malkin - Staal - Guerin
Cooke - Ott - Kennedy
Rupp - Talbot - Fedotenko

Trade, Waive or Scratch: Dupuis/Godard/Adams
I would trade or waive Fedotanko long before Dupis or Adams. Feds would just be more useless in the bottom six. At least Dupis and Adams could be there to grind and kill penalties.

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:25 PM
  #37
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u
 
HandshakeLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 18,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
If we could pull off a Steve Ott and Jamie Benn for Alex Goligoski and a 2nd/3rd rounder I'd be pretty stoked. Also like I said earlier, a Benn and Skrastins for Gogo and a 3rd/4th sounds okay to me too.
That's not a bad idea. If they could resign Ott, and they want to keep Staal on that 2nd line, that's kind of an interesting, cheap solution to the wing problems.

So, if we could get Steve Ott and Benn for Goligoski + Fedotenko, you could see:

Kunitz - Crosby - Whoever
Benn - Staal/Malkin - Malkin/Staal
Cooke - Ott - Kennedy
Rupp - Letestu/Talbot - Adams

We lose a bit of puckmoving though, but the top 9 solidifies. That third line would have to be one of the most irritating to play against in the league.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:29 PM
  #38
regard
Registered User
 
regard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Staal Debates
Country: United States
Posts: 3,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
That's because I'm stupid and apparently have such a short attention span that I forgot about Benn halfway through my own post about acquiring him.

Sorry... Allow me to revise that

Benn - Crosby - Kunitz (switchable for whichever could play RW more comfortably)
Malkin - Staal - Guerin
Cooke - Ott - Kennedy
Rupp - Talbot - Fedotenko

Trade, Waive or Scratch: Dupuis/Godard/Adams
No problem I thought for sure I was missing something.
That looks good to me, only problem then would be D if we didnt get Fistric.
We'd be set with all three or even Benn or Fistric, that would be quite exciting.

regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:31 PM
  #39
vecens24
Registered User
 
vecens24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
That's not a bad idea. If they could resign Ott, and they want to keep Staal on that 2nd line, that's kind of an interesting, cheap solution to the wing problems.

So, if we could get Steve Ott and Benn for Goligoski + Fedotenko, you could see:

Kunitz - Crosby - Whoever
Benn - Staal/Malkin - Malkin/Staal
Cooke - Ott - Kennedy
Rupp - Letestu/Talbot - Adams

We lose a bit of puckmoving though, but the top 9 solidifies. That third line would have to be one of the most irritating to play against in the league.
I'll tell you one thing that is like sacrilegious around here: I'd keep Dupuis on that second line. His speed fits perfectly with those two. He's looked great out there I think. I'd just put Dupuis on the second and move Benn up to the first and thats a perfect top 9 in my view. Not too expensive for now because of Benn, but highly skilled because you're keeping Staal up and adding Benn. Plus then you could use the money you were going to use (2M-2.5M) on a free agent to shore up the backend with a puckmover.

I'm getting way too exciting about a stupid TIOPS rumor.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:34 PM
  #40
BrookswasHere44
Registered User
 
BrookswasHere44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,414
vCash: 500
If we trade with Dallas can we please get Grossman somehow (The swedish Jew)

BrookswasHere44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:36 PM
  #41
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!
 
AquaticBirdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,219
vCash: 500
Well, I'm particularly enjoying these threads based on fictitious trade rumors that have absolutely not chance of happening. Can't wait to see what new one happens to pop up here tomorrow

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:37 PM
  #42
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u
 
HandshakeLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 18,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
I'll tell you one thing that is like sacrilegious around here: I'd keep Dupuis on that second line. His speed fits perfectly with those two. He's looked great out there I think. I'd just put Dupuis on the second and move Benn up to the first and thats a perfect top 9 in my view. Not too expensive for now because of Benn, but highly skilled because you're keeping Staal up and adding Benn. Plus then you could use the money you were going to use (2M-2.5M) on a free agent to shore up the backend with a puckmover.

I'm getting way too exciting about a stupid TIOPS rumor.
Yeah, I know right? I mean, if I get this wrapped up in a trade, it means it's never going to happen.

That'd be a perfect fit, but you'd be scratching Guerin or giving him spot duty on the PP or using him for depth. I'd be fine with that, but it might cause problems (ala Recchi) with the lockerroom.

The good part about trading Goligoski AND fedotenko is that we free up close to 3.5 million in space, but we only take on around 2.5 million. That's another million we could possibly use to acquire someone to fill that hole.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:40 PM
  #43
vecens24
Registered User
 
vecens24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
Yeah, I know right? I mean, if I get this wrapped up in a trade, it means it's never going to happen.

That'd be a perfect fit, but you'd be scratching Guerin or giving him spot duty on the PP or using him for depth. I'd be fine with that, but it might cause problems (ala Recchi) with the lockerroom.

The good part about trading Goligoski AND fedotenko is that we free up close to 3.5 million in space, but we only take on around 2.5 million. That's another million we could possibly use to acquire someone to fill that hole.
Oh I thought you were talking about next year though when Guerin is off the payroll anyway.

If we're talking about this year:

Kunitz-Crosby-Benn
Malkin-Staal-Guerin
Cooke-Ott-Kennedy
Dupuis-Rupp-Talbot

Assuming we deal Fedotenko in another deal....

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:42 PM
  #44
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!
 
AquaticBirdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,219
vCash: 500
Am I the only one that thinks that there's no way we deal Fedotenko by the deadline? DB loves the guy, and of course he still has that "playoff warrior" reputaiton forever attached to his name, so I dread we'll be stuck with him until the Summer.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:45 PM
  #45
johnniewalker
Registered User
 
johnniewalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
I would trade or waive Fedotanko long before Dupis or Adams. Feds would just be more useless in the bottom six. At least Dupis and Adams could be there to grind and kill penalties.
The reason I kept Fedotenko around is because he is basically worthless on the market because he's a UFA and under-performs, whereas we might be able to swing a decent pick from someone for Dupuis.

If we could get a 2nd or 3rd or so for Dupuis, we could turn that around with another pick and go after Ponikarovsky. In that case, I'd love to see this lineup:

Kunitz - Crosby - Benn
Ponikarovsky - Staal - Malkin
Cooke - Ott - Kennedy
Rupp - Talbot - Guerin/Fedotenko

The speed and grit on our first line would be incredible, the size and defensive capability would be ridiculous on our second line, the hitting, speed and agitation on our third line would be hell for other teams to play against and our 4th line could actually score and be a threat.

It would be nice to have a guy like Fedotenko around in case you need him for the playoffs ala Satan last year.

johnniewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:45 PM
  #46
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u
 
HandshakeLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 18,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcquaticBirdMan66 View Post
Am I the only one that thinks that there's no way we deal Fedotenko by the deadline? DB loves the guy, and of course he still has that "playoff warrior" reputaiton forever attached to his name, so I dread we'll be stuck with him until the Summer.
I dunno. I can see some teams like the Hawks taking him on because of the reputation and the fact that they're short on leadership, and he's on an affordable cap hit. If he was traded, though, I'd bet on him going out west to a young team.

I also don't think that Bylsma's mancrush has any bearing on what RS is going to do. Plenty of players who were coaches favorites (Mango Salsa, Armstrong) have been traded by their GMs.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:47 PM
  #47
AgentM
Registered User
 
AgentM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Allison Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcquaticBirdMan66 View Post
Am I the only one that thinks that there's no way we deal Fedotenko by the deadline? DB loves the guy, and of course he still has that "playoff warrior" reputaiton forever attached to his name, so I dread we'll be stuck with him until the Summer.
I think that you're right. The only guy on our roster now that I can see going anywhere is Skoula via waivers.

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:54 PM
  #48
regard
Registered User
 
regard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Staal Debates
Country: United States
Posts: 3,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
I think that you're right. The only guy on our roster now that I can see going anywhere is Skoula via waivers.
I thought for sure that was coming right after the Buffalo game.
I was fully prepared for him to not even exit the locker room after the second period.

Im suprised it hasnt happened, so long as no Dman is on IR we would have saved tiny bits of cap by having him off the roster these 4 days......right?

regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:59 PM
  #49
Gooch
Registered User
 
Gooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 13,957
vCash: 500
I really like the batch of young talent Dallas has. They seem like a great trading partner if there is any truth to these rumors.

That being said it does leave us with a very big hole when Gonchar leaves or retires or just starts to suck horribly. Goligoski was supposed to be the guy coming in to replace that, I cant see Letang being that guy so that would leave us looking for an offensive D man capable of running a PP. It would be quite ironic since that was our surplus not too long ago.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:00 PM
  #50
Funk311
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 912
vCash: 500
I havn't watched enough of the Dallas players to really form an opinion.

But i think most offers on here have really undervalued GoGo. He has 25 points this year on the back end. Skates very well. PP weapon. and is only 24 and signed to a very fair deal. Everybody has forwards in their system with potential. Very few teams have proven, young, puck moving d-men (locked up at less than 2M a year) We harp on him every game under the microscope. Alot of teams would probably be happy to have a 24 year old puck mover who consistently puts up points. You have to know he isnt going to be a shutdown dman, but thats not what they are trading for.

I would try GOGO, Feds, and a 2nd for Eriksson and Fistric


Gogo fills their needs and wants, and like Eriksson is young proven and signed.

Feds - shed his cap hit for the rest of the season, and dallas is still in the hunt so they would likely want a solid roster player. He may have history with Richards also.

2nd- could be a first if shero really thinks he filled two needs now and going forward.

Funk311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.