HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#55: Flyers @ Oilers - February 3, 2010 - 9:30 PM (ET)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-04-2010, 12:28 PM
  #726
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Bryzgalov is a pretty good example also.
No he's not. Bryzgalov doesn't have a single season in the NHL where he put up less than a .900 SVPCT.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:30 PM
  #727
sa cyred
Offseason...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: Cuba
Posts: 16,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
No he's not. Bryzgalov doesn't have a single season in the NHL where he put up less than a .900 SVPCT.
I was talking about waivers...

I goalie is a backup, hits waivers after a bad season and another team picks him up and he does well.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:30 PM
  #728
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Of course. None of the success he has had has been a result of his play at all. Let's just discredit his play completely.
Who is discrediting his play completely?

You gotta make the first save to leave a rebound to be cleared, right?

Quote:
If it was a couple of games I might agree with you. To put up the numbers he has put up over 10 games is more than just the team in front of him.
Yes, we've never seen, in any sport, a player go on a 10+ game run of play over their head.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...careyji01.html

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...raycran01.html

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:32 PM
  #729
sa cyred
Offseason...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: Cuba
Posts: 16,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Who is discrediting his play completely?

You gotta make the first save to leave a rebound to be cleared, right?



Yes, we've never seen, in any sport, a player go on a 10+ game run of play over their head.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...careyji01.html

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...raycran01.html
Yes and we have never seen a goalie who went from a AHL fodder to a good backup?

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:32 PM
  #730
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I was talking about waivers...

I goalie is a backup, hits waivers after a bad season and another team picks him up and he does well.
Bryzgalov was a waiver casualty because of the salary cap, not because of his play.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:34 PM
  #731
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Yes and we have never seen a goalie who went from a AHL fodder to a good backup?
We have, but that's not what I'm seeing when I see Leighton. I see the same problems that have plagued him elsewhere...poor positioning (leading to wide open nets), bad recovery (see last night), and horrible rebound control.

Right now it's working for him...but I don't see anything that makes me think it's sustainable.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:34 PM
  #732
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I appreciate that as well, but last night a BAD goal cost us a point in the standings. Being a goalie is high pressure and has a harsh success to failure threshold, similar to being a pitcher, QB, etc. All the good work he did for 59.5 minutes last night was destroyed with one awful goal last night.
Whoa, one goal cost the Flyers a point in the standings? It had nothing to do with the fact that the Flyers potent offense couldn't solve Vezina winner Jeff Druin-Deslauriers and the future Stanley Cup champion Oilers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
Leighton is 28 now and still doesn't have his **** together. Craig Anderson's last "bad" season in the NHL was when he was 24. Since then, he's put up .931 (5 games), .935 (17 games), .924 (31 games), and .924 (47 games). Not really comparable.
Not comparable because Anderson has since played as an NHL regular. Let's see what Leighton does after putting up the numbers he is putting up now. Again, I'm not saying that Leighton is going to turn into Craig Anderson. I'd say that it's highly unlikely. But he's never played in the NHL with success and confidence can do wonders for a goaltender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
Tim Thomas is a whole other bag of marbles, as he's a completely unorthodox mess that relies so much on athleticism it's difficult to discuss him with most other goalies (though, I see a lot of that in Emery as well).
I agree that Thomas' "style" makes it tough to compare, but there were plenty of people who thought that he had zero chance of being a legitimate NHLer.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:37 PM
  #733
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Yes, we've never seen, in any sport, a player go on a 10+ game run of play over their head.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...careyji01.html

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...raycran01.html
Not saying that we haven't. But after each game that Leighton plays for the Flyers, despite how many goals he gives up, are posts about how he sucks, yet he then goes out (this time after not playing for a long stretch of games) and plays well again.

How about just being happy that when he has been in net that he has put the team in a position to win games?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:40 PM
  #734
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Whoa, one goal cost the Flyers a point in the standings? It had nothing to do with the fact that the Flyers potent offense couldn't solve Vezina winner Jeff Druin-Deslauriers and the future Stanley Cup champion Oilers?
...you say this as if no one has criticized the offense. Again, look up, you'll find an entire post by me *****ing about the stupid offensive plays Richards was making last night.

Fact of the matter was that with 16 s. left it was a 0-0 game and a bad goal cost us a point. That doesn't mean the offense doesn't deserve it's own critique. Just like a bad pick-6 by a QB in a 35-35 game doesn't mean the defense should be left out of the discussion as well.

Quote:
Not comparable because Anderson has since played as an NHL regular. Let's see what Leighton does after putting up the numbers he is putting up now. Again, I'm not saying that Leighton is going to turn into Craig Anderson. I'd say that it's highly unlikely. But he's never played in the NHL with success and confidence can do wonders for a goaltender.
Not comparable because Anderson developed into a legit NHL goaltender at the age you'd expect him to. Leighton might, but I just don't see it in his game. He's a less athletic (but bigger) version of Nitty.

Quote:
I agree that Thomas' "style" makes it tough to compare, but there were plenty of people who thought that he had zero chance of being a legitimate NHLer.
Frankly, I wouldn't want Thomas as my goalie now (same problems I have with Emery). When he's right, that style can stop pretty much everything...but when those guys go into funks it can be ugly.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:40 PM
  #735
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Not saying that we haven't. But after each game that Leighton plays for the Flyers, despite how many goals he gives up, are posts about how he sucks, yet he then goes out (this time after not playing for a long stretch of games) and plays well again.

How about just being happy that when he has been in net that he has put the team in a position to win games?
I am happy, but I feel we are going to come to regret ditching Boucher if we keep Leighton around.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:57 PM
  #736
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 115,744
vCash: 625
It's looking like a decision on Leighton or Boucher won't need to be made until the trade deadline. At that point, the options will present themselves. If the Flyers need the cap space they'll keep Leighton. If not, they could still keep Boucher. Complicating things is the fact that Boucher has another year on his contract.

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 12:59 PM
  #737
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
It's looking like a decision on Leighton or Boucher won't need to be made until the trade deadline. At that point, the options will present themselves. If the Flyers need the cap space they'll keep Leighton. If not, they could still keep Boucher. Complicating things is the fact that Boucher has another year on his contract.
Otherwise known as cost certainty. However, I'm sure Leighton would be more than happy to sign a cheaper one-way deal to be the backup.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:03 PM
  #738
Kambo
 
Kambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pennsauken, NJ
Country: Ireland
Posts: 5,357
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Goodness people. I was pretty miffed myself last night, but I have since calmed a bit. It was a crappy overall game, BY EVERYONE. The offense couldn't score, and Leighton had a major brainfart in the last 16 seconds of a 0-0 game. They are both to blame. Leighton stills scares the **** out of us, and the team needs to consistently play with some heart. End of story. Time to move on.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:03 PM
  #739
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 36,024
vCash: 50
speaking of which what are we going to do with Boucher? The guy hasnt played in forever. He is going to be rusty as hell when he gets into a game. Anyone think he could have gone to the AHL for conditioning?
It was a all around team FAIL last night. Our better players were not very good last night and Leighton gives up a garbage goal at the end. Leighton should have stopped that shot and our forwards, especially Richards who missed that open net in the first period.
Its just another point in the standings this team has given away. I have lost count the points they have given away this season.

Kambo and I pretty much saying the same thing. I just realized that lol

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:25 PM
  #740
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Bruzgalov set a NHL record for playoff shutout streak before going to waivers. He is not like Leighton. Leighton can be good enough with a good D to clear his rebounds, but he is not a good goalie

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 04:05 PM
  #741
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Bruzgalov set a NHL record for playoff shutout streak before going to waivers. He is not like Leighton. Leighton can be good enough with a good D to clear his rebounds, but he is not a good goalie
Leighton's GAA is over 3 (until last night anyway)....he happened to play for this team when we started scoring goals. He could be a decent backup in this league, but I take Boucher over him any day of the week.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 04:10 PM
  #742
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Leighton's GAA is over 3 (until last night anyway)....he happened to play for this team when we started scoring goals. He could be a decent backup in this league, but I take Boucher over him any day of the week.
Boucher played great for a stretch too, but the difference is the team was only scoring 1 goal or less each game then.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 04:17 PM
  #743
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Boucher played great for a stretch too, but the difference is the team was only scoring 1 goal or less each game then.
Exactly. I dont want to take anything away from Leighton....He has played well, like a solid backup should....but he has been one lucky ******* this season!

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 04:21 PM
  #744
sa cyred
Offseason...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: Cuba
Posts: 16,527
vCash: 500
I still find it weird that... RANDOMLY.... the team decides to start playing good when he starts (you could see it when he took over Boucher in the middle of the Panthers game) I dont think it was just a coincidence. I still think, because Leighton isnt as "good" as Boucher (Boucher isnt that good either), thats the reason they play better. Your nervous about your goalie, which makes you play harder. I think thats a positive thing, not a negative.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 04:54 PM
  #745
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I still find it weird that... RANDOMLY.... the team decides to start playing good when he starts (you could see it when he took over Boucher in the middle of the Panthers game) I dont think it was just a coincidence. I still think, because Leighton isnt as "good" as Boucher (Boucher isnt that good either), thats the reason they play better. Your nervous about your goalie, which makes you play harder. I think thats a positive thing, not a negative.
The thing is though that there's absolutely nothing to support that theory though. It's about as superstitious as you can get.

What I don't get though, supposing that this is true, then how come earlier on when the team was playing so well in front of him it was because of Leighton, yet in a 1-0 loss to Edmonton that theory gets completely thrown out the door.

I mean, when we play well in front of Leighton it's because they work harder in front of him then Boucher. When the offense scores seven goals in front of him it's because they work harder in front of him. When the defense clears all loose pucks it's because of Leighton.

When we play super ****** like against Edmonton and we lose 1-0 we completely forget all that. It isn't Leighton's fault that our offense couldn't pot one goal against the worst team in the league. It isn't Leighton's fault that the defense lost their man in the dying seconds of the third period.

It's like there's no way that Leighton can lose with some of you guys. It's insane.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 05:22 PM
  #746
1865
Registered User
 
1865's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chester, UK
Country: England
Posts: 10,044
vCash: 500
It's come to my attention that we've been shut out by two of the worst three teams in the league..

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 08:50 PM
  #747
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I still find it weird that... RANDOMLY.... the team decides to start playing good when he starts (you could see it when he took over Boucher in the middle of the Panthers game) I dont think it was just a coincidence. I still think, because Leighton isnt as "good" as Boucher (Boucher isnt that good either), thats the reason they play better. Your nervous about your goalie, which makes you play harder. I think thats a positive thing, not a negative.


I liked Leighton's game after the long layoff. I thought he fought the puck a little early, but he also had some real nice saves on the few point shots that got through. He didn't see some of them through traffic, but he was square and sound and stopped them. He did overplay a little on the only mistake that cost him. If nothing else he showed me that he can jump in there on short notice. I'm probably more confident with Leighton than Boucher ATM.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.