HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Dallas interested in Goligoski

Old
02-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Espen

vCash: 500
Goligoski and a first round pick for Neal? Too much for Dallas?

I want Neal.

Espen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:12 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk311 View Post
I havn't watched enough of the Dallas players to really form an opinion.

But i think most offers on here have really undervalued GoGo. He has 25 points this year on the back end. Skates very well. PP weapon. and is only 24 and signed to a very fair deal. Everybody has forwards in their system with potential. Very few teams have proven, young, puck moving d-men (locked up at less than 2M a year) We harp on him every game under the microscope. Alot of teams would probably be happy to have a 24 year old puck mover who consistently puts up points. You have to know he isnt going to be a shutdown dman, but thats not what they are trading for.

I would try GOGO, Feds, and a 2nd for Eriksson and Fistric

Gogo fills their needs and wants, and like Eriksson is young proven and signed.

Feds - shed his cap hit for the rest of the season, and dallas is still in the hunt so they would likely want a solid roster player. He may have history with Richards also.

2nd- could be a first if shero really thinks he filled two needs now and going forward.
we could add our next two firsts to Gogo and we still couldn't get Eriksson.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:14 PM
johnniewalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
That being said it does leave us with a very big hole when Gonchar leaves or retires or just starts to suck horribly. Goligoski was supposed to be the guy coming in to replace that, I cant see Letang being that guy so that would leave us looking for an offensive D man capable of running a PP. It would be quite ironic since that was our surplus not too long ago.
If we were to trade away Goligoski, and get a "good team" discount on a couple free agent defensemen, we could have a seriously upgraded defense corps by spreading the wealth a bit and not having that clear cut #1 guy.

This is completely hypothetical because it's hard to say what this season has done to their values, but I would go after Dan Hamhuis and Kurtis Foster, who are both UFAs this summer.

I'd keep Eaton and Letang, signing Eaton to a raise and Letang to a fair market deal.

With Benn taking a top winger spot at an ELC price and with some of our WBS guys able to step in, it would give us a ton of flexibility.

Using a player like Nick Johnson on the 2nd line and Letestu as our third line center would enable us to pay a lot more for our defensemen. We could potentially give Letang a raise to 3.25, give Eaton a raise to 3, and then bring in a couple free agents for about 4 and 3.75. Sign Lovejoy to the league minimum and you ought to still have a couple million in space under the cap.

Getting a young winger like Benn would be huge for us. It could even allow us to keep Gonchar and Letang and sign a d-man in the 3m range to take over for McKee.

johnniewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:35 PM
jdpitt05

Dallas isn't trading Neal. Put yourself in their position and ask yourself why would you ever trade him unless its huge overpayment. Benn would be the guy to focus on when trying to acquire him in a trade. Look at his age and contract, he'd be a fantastic fit here. Even then, if your Dallas, why would you trade him right now? They'd be better off keeping both and signing a dman in the offseason. Gogo+ for Benn is what it would take for Dallas to start listening.

jdpitt05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:46 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpitt05 View Post
Dallas isn't trading Neal. Put yourself in their position and ask yourself why would you ever trade him unless its huge overpayment. Benn would be the guy to focus on when trying to acquire him in a trade. Look at his age and contract, he'd be a fantastic fit here. Even then, if your Dallas, why would you trade him right now? They'd be better off keeping both and signing a dman in the offseason. Gogo+ for Benn is what it would take for Dallas to start listening.
See I kind of disagree. I think Benn for Goligoski is a totally fair deal. Dallas' major weakness is on the backend, especially when it comes to puck movers because Niskanen is not coming along as they expected as far as I've seen him. They need someone like Goligoski (and yes I know Vishnevsky is expected up next year but I think Gogo has a much better future than he does anyway). They have so many forwards right now between Neal, Eriksson, Benn, Glennie, Brunnstrom (yes I think they still have some faith in him), plus the rest of the forwards they have in their system. I think they're in a position to deal someone like Benn to get back a solid puck mover and not really lose too much sleep over it.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Gogo+ for Benn is what it would take for Dallas to start listening.
I think people are being too anti-homer about Gogo and going a little overboard on Benn.

GoGo is locked into a great contract and has just as much value as Benn.

If Dallas wants anything more significant than Gogo, Shero should hang up the phone and move on.

Remember, Shero doesn't deal out of desperation. He won't overpay.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Jag68Sid87

We can't deal unless we're getting a defenseman back.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Feds 4 Darrian Hatcher!

Old
02-04-2010, 01:54 PM
jdpitt05

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly> View Post
I think people are being too anti-homer about Gogo and going a little overboard on Benn.

GoGo is locked into a great contract and has just as much value as Benn.

If Dallas wants anything more significant than Gogo, Shero should hang up the phone and move on.

Remember, Shero doesn't deal out of desperation. He won't overpay.
Benn has the same contract length as Gogo and is 1m cheaper. And he's only 20 years old. I just believe from a Dallas Stars point of view that it would take Gogo+ to get Benn out of there. They aren't going to make the playoffs so why make this trade right now? They could just keep all their players and sign a defenseman in free agency.

Old
02-04-2010, 01:54 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
If we were to trade away Goligoski, and get a "good team" discount on a couple free agent defensemen, we could have a seriously upgraded defense corps by spreading the wealth a bit and not having that clear cut #1 guy.

This is completely hypothetical because it's hard to say what this season has done to their values, but I would go after Dan Hamhuis and Kurtis Foster, who are both UFAs this summer.

I'd keep Eaton and Letang, signing Eaton to a raise and Letang to a fair market deal.

With Benn taking a top winger spot at an ELC price and with some of our WBS guys able to step in, it would give us a ton of flexibility.

Using a player like Nick Johnson on the 2nd line and Letestu as our third line center would enable us to pay a lot more for our defensemen. We could potentially give Letang a raise to 3.25, give Eaton a raise to 3, and then bring in a couple free agents for about 4 and 3.75. Sign Lovejoy to the league minimum and you ought to still have a couple million in space under the cap.

Getting a young winger like Benn would be huge for us. It could even allow us to keep Gonchar and Letang and sign a d-man in the 3m range to take over for McKee.
You're about a million over the cap with all of that, but if Eaton gets $3 million/year I'll eat my hat so it doesn't matter anyways. It's not exactly a great setup anyways to be frank. Nick friggin' Johnson as a full time top six forward, an unproven (yes face it) Letestu getting consistent minutes, and you need to re-sign/replace Cooke as well which would definitely put it over the cap.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:04 PM
invictus

I wish I knew enough about other team's to guess at this stuff. It seems fun.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Lionel Hutz

haha I love tanger and GoGo, but I'd swap either for Eriksson without batting an eye. This rumor is garbage.

Lionel Hutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Benn has the same contract length as Gogo and is 1m cheaper. And he's only 20 years old. I just believe from a Dallas Stars point of view that it would take Gogo+ to get Benn out of there. They aren't going to make the playoffs so why make this trade right now? They could just keep all their players and sign a defenseman in free agency.
Again, you are being desperate, and Shero won't be desperate.

The crop of blueliner FAs this Summer isn't that impressive.

- Dallas #1 need is a puck moving, offensive PP QB.

- They have a plethora of good young fwds. So they would be dealing from a position of strength.

- They also would be interested in a good young goalie prospect (Alexander Pechurski?)

All of this makes them an ideal trading partner, but again, Shero won't overpay.

Old
02-04-2010, 02:11 PM
jdpitt05

Quote:
Again, you are being desperate, and Shero won't be desperate.

The crop of blueliner FAs this Summer isn't that impressive.

- Dallas #1 need is a puck moving, offensive PP QB.

- They have a plethora of good young fwds. So they would be dealing from a position of strength.

- They also would be interested in a good young goalie prospect (Alexander Pechurski?)

All of this makes them an ideal trading partner, but again, Shero won't overpay.
How am I being desperate? I never advocated making the trade. Just in my opinion thats what it would take to get Benn out of Dallas. If I were suddenly appointed Dallas Star's GM I wouldn't trade Benn for Goligoski straight up. Benn is 20 has an insanely good contract for a couple more years and will be an RFA at the end of it. There will be solid defensemen come free agency.

Old
02-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
How am I being desperate? I never advocated making the trade. Just in my opinion thats what it would take to get Benn out of Dallas. If I were suddenly appointed Dallas Star's GM I wouldn't trade Benn for Goligoski straight up. Benn is 20 has an insanely good contract for a couple more years and will be an RFA at the end of it. There will be solid defensemen come free agency.
That's like the Pens saying they should go find a good young winger in FA...

FA almost always forces teams to pay too much money for a player that isn't worth his contract.

Why didn't Dallas just sign an offensive blueliner in FA this Summer if it is that easy to find one at a good price?

There aren't any Benn or Gogos floating around in FA. They are always locked up long before they can hit UFA.

Old
02-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Kunitziwa

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to Kunitziwa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
This. getting rid of Gogo or Letang leaves a pretty big hole to fill on the blueline. Ide like to speculate as well as anyone that we could get this much help at the wings, but is it worth it taking a step forward on offense to (potentially) take a step back on D?

Kunitziwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:25 PM
kmillzy5

Benn and Fistric for Gogo and a pick?? done.

kmillzy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
cassius

How about this deal?

To Pitt:
Steve Ott
James Neal

To Dallas:
Alex Goligoski
Pascal Dupuis
Luca Caputi
3rd Round pick

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jdpitt05

Quote:
That's like the Pens saying they should go find a good young winger in FA...

FA almost always forces teams to pay too much money for a player that isn't worth his contract.

Why didn't Dallas just sign an offensive blueliner in FA this Summer if it is that easy to find one at a good price?

There aren't any Benn or Gogos floating around in FA. They are always locked up long before they can hit UFA.
Hey all I'm saying is that if I was a Stars fan I wouldn't do Gogo for Benn straight up. Go ask around on their board and see what they say to a Benn for Gogo swap.

Old
02-04-2010, 02:26 PM
oshjo75

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
How about this deal?

To Pitt:
Steve Ott
James Neal

To Dallas:
Alex Goligoski
Pascal Dupuis
Luca Caputi
3rd Round pick
I would love that. Shero read that.^^^

oshjo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:31 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Hey all I'm saying is that if I was a Stars fan I wouldn't do Gogo for Benn straight up. Go ask around on their board and see what they say to a Benn for Gogo swap.
"OMGZ! IT WouDl Tak Gowrligowski + Stall + 1st + Crosby's first born!!"

I don't put much stock in the trade value deemed by fans.

When all things are equal such as contract, age, potential, a good young blueliner will always carry more value. Especially a puckmoving blueliner like Gogo.

Old
02-04-2010, 02:36 PM
wej20

Quote:
How about this deal?

To Pitt:
Steve Ott
James Neal

To Dallas:
Alex Goligoski
Pascal Dupuis
Luca Caputi
3rd Round pick
Completly rip off Dallas

say Dupuis +3rd gets us Ott, No way does Gogo and Caputi gets us Neal.

Old
02-04-2010, 02:43 PM
AK

TIOPS is not a source of any kind, but I would consider something only if were based around Benn or Scott Glennie.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:43 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Completly rip off Dallas

say Dupuis +3rd gets us Ott, No way does Gogo and Caputi gets us Neal.
Keep in mind that you're just a hockey fan, not a GM.

If I told you that Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen, Angelo Esposito, and a 1st rounder would net us Hossa, you would have told me the same exact thing.

So yes, there's fair value, but there's also the pressure and animal spirits (to borrow a phrase from Maynard Keynes) that GM feel around the trade deadline which can lead to some crazy transactions.

I do honestly think that Dallas has a burning need for an offensive d-man to fill the shoes left by Zubov. They have a study defense, but they are really lacking that go to PP QB.. which I think Gologiski could fill very nicely.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 02:50 PM
wej20

Quote:
Keep in mind that you're just a hockey fan, not a GM.

If I told you that Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen, Angelo Esposito, and a 1st rounder would net us Hossa, you would have told me the same exact thing.

So yes, there's fair value, but there's also the pressure and animal spirits (to borrow a phrase from Maynard Keynes) that GM feel around the trade deadline which can lead to some crazy transactions.

I do honestly think that Dallas has a burning need for an offensive d-man to fill the shoes left by Zubov. They have a study defense, but they are really lacking that go to PP QB.. which I think Gologiski could fill very nicely.
James Neal is on pace for a 34 goal season in his 2nd season.