HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Kovalchuk to Sharks? (MOD EDIT: to NJ w/Salmela for Oduya, Cormier, Bergfors, 1st)

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2010, 04:11 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
No offense, that's pretty bad. Clowe and Petrecki are the only ones with some sort of value.
None taken, but I was trying to make it work cap wise. Clowe has value of course, but so does Blake as he could be flipped to another team by Atlanta.

Value: Clowe, Petrecki, Blake, let's make it a 1st round pick instead of a 3rd
Cap help: Huskins, Shelley, Mitchell

for a stud young d-man (Enstrom) and a pure rental who may not even play in the NHL next season.

In terms of NHL players (not picks/prospects), what playoff-bound team can realistically offer players better than Clowe and Blake and who would they be?

Old
02-04-2010, 04:12 PM
TheBrokenRib

Lol, this is ridiculous. We aren't getting Kovalchuk. We are going to be paying a **** load for a couple months of Kovalchuk and then what? We would be screwed in terms of depth.

I will eat my poo if we trade for Kovalchuk.

Old
02-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Lockout Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post

BTW, Kovy rejected $101 12-year deal.
Was he going to play in Mexico?

Old
02-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Fatturdmanshark
Crosscheck your life

If this happens...And Kovalchuk is added to a team already featuring the likes of Thornton,Heatley,Marleau,Nabokov and Boyle...Does this make us the clear cut team to beat for the cup?

Old
02-04-2010, 04:14 PM
one2gamble

im half tempted to go back and quote everyone who said they were giving up testicles and eating **** just in case because you never know with DW anymore.

Old
02-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Calicool49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Other points to consider if you added Kovy:

1.) Adding Kovy to this team makes this Sharks squad arguably the most talented major pro sports team in the history of the San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose Bay Area. TV ratings are already good but it could get ridiculously high if the Sharks marketed it well. The Bay Area like many markets loves good teams, and to be given a great team is something Bay Area sports fans won't forget (again, marketing has to be good. Sharks have to tap media outlets and make sure everyone in the Bay Area knows how many Top 10 in the NHL players they have on their team).

2.) If you added Kovy, and could keep him through next season (And Marleau), my vision of Sharks at Caps 2011 Winter Classic is a no-brainer for Bettman because of the sheer amount of NHL superstars in one game and plenty of scoring, which the causal fan loves.

I think you are getting a little ahead of yourself thinking that even with Kovalchuk the Sharks would go down as the one of the greatest franchises in Bay Area history. The top 2 spots are already etched in stone-- the 49ers in the 80s and the A's back in the early 70s. Sure the Sharks would look great on paper, however, they have never proved anything in the playoffs. It would certainly take several Stanley Cups just for them to enter into the conversation.

Old
02-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Lockout Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundsHansen32 View Post
If this happens...And Kovalchuk is added to a team already featuring the likes of Thornton,Heatley,Marleau,Nabokov and Boyle...Does this make us the clear cut team to beat for the cup?
Well considering that being the team to beat is based on the opinions of others, and that our roster includes Joe Thornton... No.

Old
02-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Fatturdmanshark
Crosscheck your life

Does Mitchell give up 17?

Old
02-04-2010, 04:21 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundsHansen32 View Post
No, but it might make us the team it's easiest to score on in the playoffs.

Old
02-04-2010, 04:21 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicool49 View Post
I think you are getting a little ahead of yourself thinking that even with Kovalchuk the Sharks would go down as the one of the greatest franchises in Bay Area history. The top 2 spots are already etched in stone-- the 49ers in the 80s and the A's back in the early 70s. Sure the Sharks would look great on paper, however, they have never proved anything in the playoffs. It would certainly take several Stanley Cups just for them to enter into the conversation.
Well maybe most talented since the last 49er Super Bowl team, the last major pro sports title for the Bay Area which was the last time the Niners were a true superpower.

I know it's difficult to compare sports, but this Sharks team with Kovy would be more talented, IMHO, than the 02 Giants. Or any of the A's teams of the 00's. Or the last Raiders super bowl team in the early 00's. More so than the half-season the Warriors had Davis, Ellis, JRich, Stephen Jackson, and Al Harrington.

Last edited by ChompChomp: 02-04-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old
02-04-2010, 04:28 PM
allworldcaucasn*

Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
Are we forgetting that we are facing cap armageddon this off season anyways? The logic is the Hawks could trade Barker and Sharp or Versteeg since someone has to go anyway. Well the same is true for the Sharks, if we want to re sign Pavs Seto Marleau and Nabby. Why not create that cap space by renting Kovalchuk for a run?

Old
02-04-2010, 04:29 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
im half tempted to go back and quote everyone who said they were giving up testicles and eating **** just in case because you never know with DW anymore.
Maybe someone should go back and see who said that about Heatley, Boyle, Campbell, and Guerin, esp. Heatley.

Old
02-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Calicool49

Quote:
Well maybe most talented since the last 49er Super Bowl team (or the team that destroyed the Bronocs).

I know it's difficult to compare sports, but this Sharks team with Kovy would be more talented, IMHO, than the 02 Giants. Or any of the A's teams of the 00's. Or the last Raiders super bowl team in the early 00's. More so than the half-season the Warriors had Davis, Ellis, JRich, Stephen Jackson, Al Harrington.
It has certainly been a bleak 15-20 years for Bay Area sports fans, and the Sharks w/ Kovy would definitely have the most talented team in that time span. I am in the camp that is hoping the Sharks are just snooping around and driving up the price that a Kovy suitor is going to have to fork over, i.e. the Kings. The Kings with Kovy would be a tough match up for the Sharks, as would be the Hawks or the Wings. But then again, maybe Wilson is sensing his team needs that little extra difference maker, and is willing to mortgage the future for a shot at a cup.

Old
02-04-2010, 04:32 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJfortheCUP View Post
Are we forgetting that we are facing cap armageddon this off season anyways? The logic is the Hawks could trade Barker and Sharp or Versteeg since someone has to go anyway. Well the same is true for the Sharks, if we want to re sign Pavs Seto Marleau and Nabby. Why not create that cap space by renting Kovalchuk for a run?
To create that cap space now, Blake (likely to retire this offseason, almost certainly not a part of the Sharks 10-11 plans) would have to be dealt too (as I suggested). Are you okay with that?

Last edited by ChompChomp: 02-04-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old
02-04-2010, 04:40 PM
allworldcaucasn*

Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
Quote:
To create that cap space now, Blake (likely to retire this offseason, almost certainly not a part of the Sharks 10-11 plans) would have to dealt too (as I suggested). Are you okay with that?
I can't see Atlanta or anyone else being interested in Blake. If it were to happen, I'd guess it would have to be something like Clowe, Murray, Petrecki, 1st for Kovalchuk + another piece with value.

Old
02-04-2010, 04:43 PM
TheBrokenRib

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJfortheCUP View Post
I can't see Atlanta or anyone else being interested in Blake. If it were to happen, I'd guess it would have to be something like Clowe, Murray, Petrecki, 1st for Kovalchuk + another piece with value.
Who the hell is going to play d, lol? If the Carolina trade goes down, would Wallin be Murray's replacement? Boy, we would be in a world of hurt.

Old
02-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Rickety Cricket

Blake is also our captain, 39 and has a NTC. He's not going anywhere.

Old
02-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Pinkfloyd

Considering that this trade is likely to happen in a couple days, the Sharks would have to make room for 2.2 mil which is the cost of Kovalchuk's remaining cap hit this season AND the replacement costs which is a minimum of 200k per roster spot needed.

This would mean that the Sharks would have to include Ryane Clowe and Douglas Murray just to cover Kovalchuk's salary for the rest of the year. If the rumored deal involving Wallin is accurate, there's our replacement for Murray but that would require 600k of space to make happen. The Sharks have 500k in space roughly but sending Shelley out the other way would cover it.

In terms of value here, with Clowe and Murray involved, the Sharks would likely have to throw in a prospect like Ferriero, Petrecki, or McGinn, and a 1st round pick to realistically have a chance to acquire Kovalchuk.

If it were Clowe, Murray, Ferriero, and a 1st for Kovalchuk, it would be overpaying but I would seriously consider it because I think making that push with Kovy and moving the two salaries are for the greater good of this team. It's an unpopular stance to take but that's my view on it. I'd probably do it.

Old
02-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Fred Flintstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Considering that this trade is likely to happen in a couple days, the Sharks would have to make room for 2.2 mil which is the cost of Kovalchuk's remaining cap hit this season AND the replacement costs which is a minimum of 200k per roster spot needed.

This would mean that the Sharks would have to include Ryane Clowe and Douglas Murray just to cover Kovalchuk's salary for the rest of the year. If the rumored deal involving Wallin is accurate, there's our replacement for Murray but that would require 600k of space to make happen. The Sharks have 500k in space roughly but sending Shelley out the other way would cover it.

In terms of value here, with Clowe and Murray involved, the Sharks would likely have to throw in a prospect like Ferriero, Petrecki, or McGinn, and a 1st round pick to realistically have a chance to acquire Kovalchuk.

If it were Clowe, Murray, Ferriero, and a 1st for Kovalchuk, it would be overpaying but I would seriously consider it because I think making that push with Kovy and moving the two salaries are for the greater good of this team. It's an unpopular stance to take but that's my view on it. I'd probably do it.
ARE YOU SERIOUS!?!?!? how do you know? if so we would need to score 5+ goals in the playoffs and pray we dont run into a hot goalie or were done. our d is questionalble now just wait till we trade murray how disgusting it would be

Old
02-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Hold the Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekortiz3 View Post
If it were Mitchell and Clowe going we would look something like this...

Heatley-Thornton-Marleau
Kovalchuk-Pavelski-Seto
McGinn-Malhotra-Ortmeyer
Shelley/McLaren-Nichol-Staubitz

Never gonna happen but that would be pretty sweet.
That second line is alright... that is, they all shoot right.

Old
02-04-2010, 05:04 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold the Pickles View Post
That second line is alright... that is, they all shoot right.
thats why one of patty or heater goes down since they are all lefties up top

Old
02-04-2010, 05:11 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

vCash: 390
Send a message via Yahoo to yada
Lets be reality, dumbest rumour ive heard and the sharks have bigger worries. Sharks have enough forward depth and cap worries without the addition of kovalchuck. Id rather see 2 defensemen brought in.

Old
02-04-2010, 05:12 PM
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Flintstone View Post
ARE YOU SERIOUS!?!?!? how do you know? if so we would need to score 5+ goals in the playoffs and pray we dont run into a hot goalie or were done. our d is questionalble now just wait till we trade murray how disgusting it would be
No hot goalie is stopping Marleau, JT, Heater and Kovy and Boyle on the back end.

I'd have to look at what the deal looks like to make a decision, but I just don't see how this happens anyways, so why work myself up about it.

Thereís a lot of things wrong with this country, but one of the few things still right with it is that a man can steer clear of the organized ******** if he really wants to. Itís a goddamned luxury, and if I were you, Iíd take advantage of it while you can.
-- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Old
02-04-2010, 05:19 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
No hot goalie is stopping Marleau, JT, Heater and Kovy and Boyle on the back end.

I'd have to look at what the deal looks like to make a decision, but I just don't see how this happens anyways, so why work myself up about it.
ya no ****, the crazy thing is that the more I sit here and think about it the more I think the Sharks can get away with making this trade if they dont seriously over trade. I still think its more of a blocking move against Chicago though.

Id rather grab a Top 4 dman though.

Old
02-04-2010, 05:28 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
ya no ****, the crazy thing is that the more I sit here and think about it the more I think the Sharks can get away with making this trade if they dont seriously over trade. I still think its more of a blocking move against Chicago though.

Id rather grab a Top 4 dman though.
If we can afford Kovalchuk why not trade for someone we could really use, like a top tier D-man. I mean, it's fun to pontificate about, but it's not the right move, we all know it, and so DW probably knows it.

Closed Thread