HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalchuk to Sharks? (MOD EDIT: to NJ w/Salmela for Oduya, Cormier, Bergfors, 1st)

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2010, 06:32 PM
allworldcaucasn*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
Well, people are saying its happening tonight, so we'll see. Source: kusatoday on Twitter.

Old
02-04-2010, 06:34 PM
TheBrokenRib

Do we have any scratches for tonight lol? Or would that matter?

Old
02-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Flintstone View Post
ARE YOU SERIOUS!?!?!? how do you know? if so we would need to score 5+ goals in the playoffs and pray we dont run into a hot goalie or were done. our d is questionalble now just wait till we trade murray how disgusting it would be
The Thrashers will want to resolve this issue before the Olympics to try and get whatever return they got as much time to acclimate to continue their playoff run.

My opinion is that our defense is questionable because of Murray not in spite of him. He's not the only one but he's one of the reasons. Blake is the other big one to me. Both are not quick to pucks and are prone to not getting them out or getting beat to them and thus allowing teams to sustain pressure in our zone. He's also not capable of being leaned on when others are out. He's maxed out right now, imo, and it's barely passable as a borderline #4. He's not a legit #4.

I don't think it'll actually happen but Clowe, Murray, prospect, and a 1st for a rental Kovalchuk gives them something even the Hawks and Wings don't have. With them, the choice is easy on who to put your best defenders on. Hawks have Brouwer-Toews-Kane and Ladd-Sharp-Hossa as their top two lines. Wings have Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom and Cleary-Filpulla-Bertuzzi. Those choices are easy compared to Marleau-Thornton-Heatley and Kovalchuk-Pavelski-Setoguchi. At first look, it's easy to go with that top line but you give inferior competition to a guy like Kovalchuk and he's going to own you consistently.

Old
02-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Fred Flintstone

im gonna check up on here every minute or so or just stay watching the nhl net for any news. reading all these rumors makes me believe but then again, cmon theres really no way ilya kovalchuck comes here just no way

Old
02-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Fred Flintstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
The Thrashers will want to resolve this issue before the Olympics to try and get whatever return they got as much time to acclimate to continue their playoff run.

My opinion is that our defense is questionable because of Murray not in spite of him. He's not the only one but he's one of the reasons. Blake is the other big one to me. Both are not quick to pucks and are prone to not getting them out or getting beat to them and thus allowing teams to sustain pressure in our zone. He's also not capable of being leaned on when others are out. He's maxed out right now, imo, and it's barely passable as a borderline #4. He's not a legit #4.

I don't think it'll actually happen but Clowe, Murray, prospect, and a 1st for a rental Kovalchuk gives them something even the Hawks and Wings don't have. With them, the choice is easy on who to put your best defenders on. Hawks have Brouwer-Toews-Kane and Ladd-Sharp-Hossa as their top two lines. Wings have Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom and Cleary-Filpulla-Bertuzzi. Those choices are easy compared to Marleau-Thornton-Heatley and Kovalchuk-Pavelski-Setoguchi. At first look, it's easy to go with that top line but you give inferior competition to a guy like Kovalchuk and he's going to own you consistently.
ok true. but do we all really think inspite say we get kovalchuck that our d will be able to hold up with a nabby who seems to give up softies come play off time?

Old
02-04-2010, 06:47 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
im gonna check up on here every minute or so or just stay watching the nhl net for any news. reading all these rumors makes me believe but then again, cmon theres really no way ilya kovalchuck comes here just no way
They are saying east coast team. Thank god.

Old
Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Send a message via AIM to Eid Ma Clack Shaw
Yeah I keep checking on all the usual sites/blogs right now as if it was trade deadline day or July 1st. The scary thing is I'm starting to believe DW is crazy enough to deplete our depth and defense for this.

But the rational part of me says that nothing is going to happen because it's impossible.

Old
TheBrokenRib

Kovy is staying in the East it seems. No luck for us.

Old
02-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

Damn Its gonna be Philly.

I knew it wasn't possible, but I hoped anyways

Old
02-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Philly, New York or Boston. Either way this is good because the Kings or Hawks ain't getting him.

Old
02-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Fred Flintstone

whether its ny, philly or boston none are winning the cup so oh well. philly can be dangerous in the east though and live up to those pre season expectations

Old
02-04-2010, 06:54 PM
allworldcaucasn*

Saying it's an eastern conference team.

Old
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
whether its ny, philly or boston none are winning the cup so oh well. philly can be dangerous in the east though and live up to those pre season expectations
they still have shaky goaltending

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 35 GP, 13-17-5 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
ok true. but do we all really think inspite say we get kovalchuck that our d will be able to hold up with a nabby who seems to give up softies come play off time?
Honestly, I think the way that this team plays defense is better for Nabby than it was last year. He's a worse goalie when he's not seeing a lot of shots. This defense gives up a lot of shots and when Nabby gets into a rhythm, he's hard to beat. I'd also like to think that we'd be a lot better at possessing the puck, especially since our 2nd line is not that great at it doing that, in order to not be worried too much on D.

Another thought as opposed to just flat out replacing Clowe with Kovalchuk is to roll with a setup like Marleau-Thornton-Setoguchi and Kovalchuk-Pavelski-Heatley. The benefit to bringing in Kovalchuk is that we're guaranteed to have secondary scoring strength and not just hoping which is our current situation.

Old
02-04-2010, 06:56 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Honestly, I think the way that this team plays defense is better for Nabby than it was last year. He's a worse goalie when he's not seeing a lot of shots. This defense gives up a lot of shots and when Nabby gets into a rhythm, he's hard to beat. I'd also like to think that we'd be a lot better at possessing the puck, especially since our 2nd line is not that great at it doing that, in order to not be worried too much on D.

Another thought as opposed to just flat out replacing Clowe with Kovalchuk is to roll with a setup like Marleau-Thornton-Setoguchi and Kovalchuk-Pavelski-Heatley. The benefit to bringing in Kovalchuk is that we're guaranteed to have secondary scoring strength and not just hoping which is our current situation.
You better not be planning on re-signing him then, because being stuck on the second line is not going to sit well with a guy like Kovy.

That said, Kovy - Pavelski - Heatley might be our first line

Old
02-04-2010, 07:03 PM
allworldcaucasn*

Mackenzie says it's not Boston or Rangers. It's Philly isn't it... Jeff Carter probly involved

Old
02-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
Blake is also our captain, 39 and has a NTC. He's not going anywhere.
He has an NTC???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJfortheCUP View Post
Mackenzie says it's not Boston or Rangers. It's Philly isn't it... Jeff Carter probly involved
Devils.

Old
02-04-2010, 07:09 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
Philly, New York or Boston. Either way this is good because the Kings or Hawks ain't getting him.
Meh, it wouldn't have mattered, Kovy can't do **** against Nabby. Or do you not remember the all-star game

Old
02-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post

Devils.

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Old
02-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Kitten Mittons

McKenzie confirms it will be done tonight! Flyers or Devils? I think he will fit better on the Devils.

Old
02-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
You better not be planning on re-signing him then, because being stuck on the second line is not going to sit well with a guy like Kovy.

That said, Kovy - Pavelski - Heatley might be our first line
I'm fully expecting him to walk after the season. And I'm honestly fine with that considering my proposal, the long term benefits, and the dynamic player we would acquire.

Old
02-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
Meh, it wouldn't have mattered, Kovy can't do **** against Nabby. Or do you not remember the all-star game
I do remember Nabby was a beast in that All-Star game. If I remember correctly, during the shootout style competition he kept making crazy saves too.

Could be the Devils. Not sure what the Flyers would be giving up. Crazy how in the age of internet we're watching everything unfold in real time. No more surprises

Old
02-04-2010, 07:14 PM
sjshark91

Atlanta will get a terrible return just like they did with Hossa.

Old
02-04-2010, 07:16 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJfortheCUP View Post
Hmm, I wouldn't trade Carter straight up for Kovalchuk...

Old
02-04-2010, 07:18 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=308935

TSN story on Kovy turning down $101mm 12 year deal

Closed Thread