HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Halak will get traded soon according to Réjean and Marinaro.

Old
01-30-2010, 01:29 PM
JackieChan

vCash: 500
I'm betting Gainey now sees Halak as another "distraction" and WILL trade him, regardless of him being more valuable to the Habs right now than what he would get in return.

JackieChan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:39 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
I'm betting Gainey now sees Halak as another "distraction" and WILL trade him, regardless of him being more valuable to the Habs right now than what he would get in return.
Honestly the distraction has nothing to do with Halak. It has to do with the fact they thought Price was ready when he wasn't and it will now have to do with how ready he is at this moment. 'Cause no matter who you bring as the #2, what if Price can't bring his game to a much needed level and whoever the #2 is can? Then, you'll have the distraction between Price and #2. If Price is traded, then I don't believe that nobody expects Halak to be a saviour. So no matter who comes as #2, people would more easily live with a tandem than waiting for the saviour to "save" us....

Now....I am not implying to trade Price. Not at all, I want to keep both unless an overpayment comes our way. I'm just saying that for the "distraction" factor, trading Halak won't help not having it.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:59 PM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Honestly the distraction has nothing to do with Halak. It has to do with the fact they thought Price was ready when he wasn't and it will now have to do with how ready he is at this moment. 'Cause no matter who you bring as the #2, what if Price can't bring his game to a much needed level and whoever the #2 is can? Then, you'll have the distraction between Price and #2. If Price is traded, then I don't believe that nobody expects Halak to be a saviour. So no matter who comes as #2, people would more easily live with a tandem than waiting for the saviour to "save" us....

Now....I am not implying to trade Price. Not at all, I want to keep both unless an overpayment comes our way. I'm just saying that for the "distraction" factor, trading Halak won't help not having it.
Imo that's most likely true... However, chances are the management thinks Price would benefit from a confidence vote, and from having nobody in the rear view mirror. They've went down that road before (Huet) after all...

Old
01-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
Imo that's most likely true... However, chances are the management thinks Price would benefit from a confidence vote, and from having nobody in the rear view mirror. They've went down that road before (Huet) after all...
But that's what I'm saying. Chances are it probably wouldn't happen, but who comes as #2 after a Halak trade? Sanford? Well he struggles so far in Hamilton but I guess he's the best candidate and they'll let Desjardins develop in there so he'd become our next #2. Well what if Price stuggles? Chances are you'd hear in the crowd some Halak chant......or they'll be asking for Sanford and let's say he starts doing well? Well from a Price-Halak distraction to a Price-Sanford one. So from a distraction to another. Price, if he's not playing well, will always have to look in his rear view mirror. Chances are, he wouldn't be as much 'cause Halak is 1000 times better than Sanford, but you never know what it will mean to Sanford to come back in the NHL. And then, what if another backup comes in a Halak trade? Can he give some pressure to Price as well? And then when the media will start rolling how it was a mistake to trade Halak instead of Price 'cause Halak would do well while Price would struggles.....the distraction will never ends.

Where you are right is that it is possible that trading Halak is what Price needs to make him relax. Possible that nobody will care if Sandford, Halak or whoever does well since Price will be doing well also. But that's a freakin big bet to take. 'Cause if he doesn't after you would have traded Halak, Price will then ask to get the heck out of here. And you'd go from a Price-Halak tandem to a unkwown one.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 02:35 PM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
(...)
Where you are right is that it is possible that trading Halak is what Price needs to make him relax. Possible that nobody will care if Sandford, Halak or whoever does well since Price will be doing well also. But that's a freakin big bet to take. 'Cause if he doesn't after you would have traded Halak, Price will then ask to get the heck out of here. And you'd go from a Price-Halak tandem to a unkwown one.
The way I see it, they should play Halak as much as possible, test him against the best
teams until the end of the season, and if he responds well enough and shows #1 worthy consistency, then trade Price for a king's ransom during the offseason. Im just afraid Montreal is not a good fit for Price and that we'll lose him for nothing when he turns ufa.

Old
01-30-2010, 02:46 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Quote:
It does make sense we can't afford both come contract time but it will likely come down to this last stretch before the olympic break because if Halak is carrying the load and we're still competing then will likely keep him otherwise will trae him when we can get a possible huge return
They're both RFA's, they can't go anywhere. Might as well hold on to them for now and hope for a better deal near the draft. There's no rush. Remember Phil Kessel. He didn't sign until November and look what the B's got for him. Im not saying we'll get that much for either goalie but it pays to wait.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
They're both RFA's, they can't go anywhere. Might as well hold on to them for now and hope for a better deal near the draft. There's no rush. Remember Phil Kessel. He didn't sign until November and look what the B's got for him. Im not saying we'll get that much for either goalie but it pays to wait.
True, but the only reason they didn't have to rush is because Kessel was recovering from surgery. If he was healthy, he would have been traded much sooner.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 03:06 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

If Halak is traded, I give up on management. How stupid can they be?

Do they not realize they'll get the same or more in the off-season through an offer sheet?

If we keep Price, fine. But don't give Halak away.
Posted via Mobile Device

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
Kessel signed before the season started(September), it was surgery from last June on his shoulder that kept him out until November.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 04:56 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

Do they not realize they'll get the same or more in the off-season through an offer sheet?

Posted via Mobile Device
Nobody will offer Halak anything more than 3 mil per year on an offer sheet so they won`t get any more that way.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 05:10 PM
TomPlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Nobody will offer Halak anything more than 3 mil per year on an offer sheet so they won`t get any more that way.
Don't even bother. He's clearly just saying it to hide behind a facade. He wants Price traded and Halak to be the #1. He always has no matter what he says. By not trading Halak now, he can just delay that fact from coming out into the open by claiming that he wants to get more from an offer sheet. Now, if that time comes, it'll be "match that offer because the value in return for that offer wouldn't be high enough".

TomPlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 04:22 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
Well rumor is Halak has asked for a trade per Marinaro. He also mentionned that no matter what the situation is, he wants to leave.

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 04:25 PM
ScottFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
Well rumor is Halak has asked for a trade per Marinaro. He also mentionned that no matter what the situation is, he wants to leave.
This rumour/thread is pretty much another Fail by both Reports..

ScottFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 04:27 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Well, if Gainey leaves, I'm pretty sure he'll be happy to stay...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 04:28 PM
alexstream

Quote:
nanananaaaaaaaaaaaah.

totally wrong.

no matter what, he wants to PLAY

not to leave.

he said he wanted to play here OR elsewhere, but the most important was to PLAY.

that's the only thing he said.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 04:34 PM
HotPie

Considering almost every single rumour has never come to fruition, I seriously doubt this one will.

Gainey would be an absolute moron to trade the reason why we might make the playoffs.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 06:16 PM
BakerNator

I wish they would trade him soon. These threads are getting boring

BakerNator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 07:22 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Oilers will trade you O'Sullivan for Halak. Done.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
No thanks.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 08:46 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
by O'Sullivan u mean Taylor Hall?

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanNistelrooy View Post
Gorge profonde is a common name in french for a undisclosed source.
I will bring some culture here...

Deep Throat is the surname of the guy who informed Woodward and Bernstein about how Nixon's organization was involved in spying the Democratic National Committee headquarters at the Watergate complex. The Watergate. Might ring you a bell or two. If not, think about the Forest Gump movie. Remember when looking through the window of his hotel in Washington, Forest noticed that people breaked in an office just in front? Well, that's how the whole story started, except that a genitor called the police, and not Forest.

Deep Throat linked those guys to Nixon's organization... and since then, deep throat - gorge profonde - is a way to talk about a source.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 10:25 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
nanananaaaaaaaaaaaah.

totally wrong.

no matter what, he wants to PLAY

not to leave.

he said he wanted to play here OR elsewhere, but the most important was to PLAY.

that's the only thing he said.
Until yesterday.. Marinaro said that Halak asked for a trade because he didn't like how the organization treated him.. but is only a rumor from Marinaro.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Corey

Why do people assume that if Halak is traded the Habs would get poor value in return? The Habs aren't desperate to trade him. He's not a UFA at the end of the season. If the Habs could get a first rounder they could afford to gamble on one of their two picks. They were too cautious when they drafted Chipchura in 2004 and Fischer in 2006 and it hurt.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 10:44 PM
HF-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
I will bring some culture here...

Deep Throat is the surname of the guy who informed Woodward and Bernstein about how Nixon's organization was involved in spying the Democratic National Committee headquarters at the Watergate complex. The Watergate. Might ring you a bell or two. If not, think about the Forest Gump movie. Remember when looking through the window of his hotel in Washington, Forest noticed that people breaked in an office just in front? Well, that's how the whole story started, except that a genitor called the police, and not Forest.

Deep Throat linked those guys to Nixon's organization... and since then, deep throat - gorge profonde - is a way to talk about a source.
lol.

Last edited by HF-Addict: 02-04-2010 at 10:52 PM.
HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:10 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Until yesterday.. Marinaro said that Halak asked for a trade because he didn't like how the organization treated him.. but is only a rumor from Marinaro.
if i put myslef in Halak (pads) id feel the same way .
Something must have clicked as finally the habs are letting him run(starting after a loss etc).

Hopefully feelings can be put aside and he sticks around .

If im coach , id say shes your ball boy take us on home, this guy saved our season when Huet went down , then the rug got pulled on him then (Huet let in 6 and we all know the rest of the story )

Halak been deemed second fiddle from day 1 , so i think he's just saying "hey" you dont want to give me a chance at 1 , send me elsewhere ill show you why.

He is no different , he wants to max out his earning power and playing back up doesnt do that. He is capale of being a number 1 , were all seeing that now.

If im GM/coach
next season 50-55 games Halak

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote