HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers to talk extension with Emery soon; not interested in Turco

Old
02-05-2010, 01:54 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by litflyersfan View Post
With all the fleecing going on any chance get the Panthers to give us Vokoun for nada or get this year's worst sophmore slump, Steve Mason, from Columbus for a Coburn like return. Heck its worth a shot
Probably a "no" on both, though Columbus has been looking for some decent D for a while. Whether or not Coburn fits the description of decent D is up to you (I think he does).

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:31 AM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

I say keep Emery on the cheap for now, and if he can't hack it in the postseason then throw money at a guy like Bryz next year when he turns FA.

It's looking more and more like this isn't going to be our year anyway.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:01 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

[QUOTE=six sigma;23670864]I say keep Emery on the cheap for now, and if he can't hack it in the postseason then throw money at a guy like Bryz next year when he turns FA. [QUOTE]

Agreed on at least the Emery half. He's cheaper now than if the Flyers' season reaches May. The way the team has played, even a first round exit would likely not be on him.
I'd also be pitching a contract to Coburn RIGHT NOW. He played third pairing the past two games. He's played better recently compared to his horrid start, but it's not enough to justify the big raise so many thought he would end up being in line for before the season. He won't be any cheaper than he is now.
That's what made the Bartulis deal so great -- he couldn't get any cheaper. The same is true for Emery and Coburn.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 06:16 AM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
What does it have to do with the Flyers?
It means the Flyers aren't getting a high calibre goalie for a long long long time, when they get lucky and draft one. They'll never be able to trade for one without giving too much and they'll never be able to sign one in a salary cap NHL with the way this team hands out big contracts. The only way they're going to be able to win with a lesser goalie like Emery, is if they build the perfect team in front of him, ie Detroit.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 06:58 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by litflyersfan View Post
With all the fleecing going on any chance get the Panthers to give us Vokoun for nada or get this year's worst sophmore slump, Steve Mason, from Columbus for a Coburn like return. Heck its worth a shot
Mason is s better player than he looks this season, but I've heard he has work ethic issues. That's enough to make me hesitant.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 07:32 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Emery has done well and shows that a one-two punch of Emery and Leighton has been very good for the Flyers so far this year.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
It means the Flyers aren't getting a high calibre goalie for a long long long time, when they get lucky and draft one. They'll never be able to trade for one without giving too much and they'll never be able to sign one in a salary cap NHL with the way this team hands out big contracts. The only way they're going to be able to win with a lesser goalie like Emery, is if they build the perfect team in front of him, ie Detroit.
So what else is new?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 07:43 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I know this isn't everyone, but why do people think we have a goaltending problem? Even when the Flyers were slumping, their goaltending wasn't the problem. If the Flyers make a trade (which they pretty much have to with all the moves the Atlantic is making) they have to go after a serious D-man. Doubling (or quadrupling, haven't done the real math) Emery's salary to get Turco while not focusing on the team's real needs, would be a terrible idea. I say go after Niedermayer in Anaheim.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 10:00 AM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Quote:
So what else is new?
The point I'm trying to make, which is in response to what you originally said about the higher tiered goalies within the division, is that the Flyers success hinges on whether the team can play good enough in front of the net to win, and not actually who's in net. We're not going to get a good goalie in the forseeable future, so the focus should be on the team play and not the goalie.

Old
02-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
The point I'm trying to make, which is in response to what you originally said about the higher tiered goalies within the division, is that the Flyers success hinges on whether the team can play good enough in front of the net to win, and not actually who's in net. We're not going to get a good goalie in the forseeable future, so the focus should be on the team play and not the goalie.
So what else is new? It's been like that since.. At least 86 (injuries killed us) and 97 when Detroit killed us.

Old
02-05-2010, 10:18 AM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Quote:
So what else is new? It's been like that since.. At least 86 (injuries killed us) and 97 when Detroit killed us.
Then why bring up the other goalies in the division like it means something?

Old
02-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Then why bring up the other goalies in the division like it means something?
Call it hmmm.... jealousy?

Old
02-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I know this isn't everyone, but why do people think we have a goaltending problem?
Because they are 19th in save percentage.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 10:36 AM
CptCannon

Ellis or Rinne?

Sooner or later Preds are in situation when one can stay and one's gotta go.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 10:48 AM
bennysflyers16

I have watched the last few Habs games and Halak is REAL good. I hope we make some sort of offer for him if the HAbs choose Price to be the starter.

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 11:05 AM
flountown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
I have watched the last few Habs games and Halak is REAL good. I hope we make some sort of offer for him if the HAbs choose Price to be the starter.
I agree, if we go after a young goalie, it should be Halak or Price. Both have shown that they can be great goalies and in my opinion would be less of a risk than some of the other young comparables out there.

And before I get bashed for maybe wanting Price, realize the guy had the weight of the world on his shoulders being christened as the next great goalie in Montreal as the franchise is entering Centennial celebrations, they nicknamed him Jesus Price for Christ's sake. I think any pressure Philly can put on him for the goal tending situation would be fractional compared to what French-Canadians can muster.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 12:19 PM
CTU2fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
I agree, if we go after a young goalie, it should be Halak or Price. Both have shown that they can be great goalies and in my opinion would be less of a risk than some of the other young comparables out there.

And before I get bashed for maybe wanting Price, realize the guy had the weight of the world on his shoulders being christened as the next great goalie in Montreal as the franchise is entering Centennial celebrations, they nicknamed him Jesus Price for Price's sake. I think any pressure Philly can put on him for the goal tending situation would be fractional compared to what French-Canadians can muster.
Fixed that for ya

I don't know, the talent is pretty clearly there but there's been whispers about his dedication etc. He's gotten a rep for being a party guy, and it seems like the Flyers are trying to avoid/move away from that if possible. He is very young still though, if you think he's ready to rededicate himself then I think you take the chance.

Personally I'm comfortable with Emery. I'm just not sure if the upgrade (to Rinne, Vokoun, Halak/Price, Pavelec) is worth what it will cost. Other than the period when he was playing hurt I've liked what Emery's showed, but of course the playoffs will tell the story.

This fan base has a tough time talking goaltending IMO. We've got guys who tend to overrate goaltenders who are just solid, based on past subpar play (I guess I'm in that group). And we've got other guys who viewed the Emery signing as a lateral move at best, and are very quick to call the move a bust, and almost seem to hope Emery blows up so they can say "told you so" and complain. The organization and the fan base really need a goalie to stabilize that position with years of at least above average play and reliability.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 12:23 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
if we can get Halak or Price for a reasonable price, I'd go for it.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 12:33 PM
jb**

the flyers need a goalie who doesnt lose them games and one who wins them games. Can emery win them games like fleury does when the team isnt playing well? they throw money aound on d and o. yet they refuse to address the most important position with quality.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 12:36 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Emery will be alot cheaper than Turco's salary, Emery just has to prove himself in the playoffs first.
No to Turco!

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 12:38 PM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
Quote:
Emery just has to prove himself in the playoffs first.
The guy did make it to the Finals with a 1 line team so, to me anyway, he has nothing to prove. If the current team in front of him would play more consistently, the Flyers could be the darkhorse come playoff time.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 12:48 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
the flyers need a goalie who doesnt lose them games and one who wins them games. Can emery win them games like fleury does when the team isnt playing well? they throw money aound on d and o. yet they refuse to address the most important position with quality.
Let's not turn Fleury into freaking Brodeur.

The overrating of Marc-Andre Fleury's abilities as a goaltender are becoming vastly overrated just like the amount of beer you drank and the hilarity of the stupid things you did the night before grew to the best night of your life by the time the sun set.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:07 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
if we can get Halak or Price for a reasonable price, I'd go for it.
With the way Halak is playing, I don't think we can afford to give up what Montreal will ask for. They would most certainly first ask for one of Giroux/JVR first which would be a no. But from there they would probably want Coburn + a decent pick which we don't have or a higher end forward prospect (think Maroon or Matsumoto). You have to remember Montreal is also in a playoff race, so trading their hot goalie won't go well with the guys upstairs.

Old
02-05-2010, 01:13 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
With the way Halak is playing, I don't think we can afford to give up what Montreal will ask for. They would most certainly first ask for one of Giroux/JVR first which would be a no. But from there they would probably want Coburn + a decent pick which we don't have or a higher end forward prospect (think Maroon or Matsumoto). You have to remember Montreal is also in a playoff race, so trading their hot goalie won't go well with the guys upstairs.
Montreal would likely want Hartnell, to which I say Halak + Pacioretty. Since that's a no-go, I don't think a deal would get done.

Of course that's in the offseason. Holmgren is not trading for a goalie right now.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:21 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Montreal would likely want Hartnell, to which I say Halak + Pacioretty. Since that's a no-go, I don't think a deal would get done.

Of course that's in the offseason. Holmgren is not trading for a goalie right now.
I was thinking before the deadline, but Halak's pricetag would be too steep.

In the offseason I would definitely do a deal around Hartnell if Montreal can fit him in. But then we would have to sign Halak...