HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

KOVALCHUK traded to the New Jersey Devils for Bergfors, Oduya, Cormier & 1st rounder

Old
02-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
Gainey made a mistake when he didn't go after Gaborik. I had this gut feeling he was going to have an injury free year. He had the problem corrected in the offseason.You want someone that can score/points close to Ovy numbers its Gaborik and he come cheaper.
Giving Gaborik 7.5 million IS THE mistake. That contract is a recipe for disaster. They have been lucky so far, but most years you're lucky to get 45-50 games from Gaborik.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:01 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Not much for a rental player in all probability.....The Devs are going to be that much tougher

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
Lou is a smart GM. Kovalchuk is guaranteed to resign in Jersey. They compete every year. Unlike the Habs.
Lou would never pay a player that much, they made the deal knowing he is a rental. The big risk is will he fit in Lemaire's system. He's had issues with super talented guys who don't play defense(Lafleur Gaborik) and Kovalcuk only plays one way...doesn't sound like a match made in heaven.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:06 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Good lord, it's gonna be tough to get past the 1st round...

NJ are gonna be sick, Wash is on a tear, Pitts are the champs... Buffalo and Ottawa got a hold on the NE division.

But we got pretty darn good goalies

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:24 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
Not much for a rental player in all probability.....The Devs are going to be that much tougher
I disagree.
No doubt, the Devils got better although Oduya was a key piece of their D imo.
That being said, I don't like their chances to go far in the POs. I might be wrong, but I just don't see it.
They have a defensive system, and a very minimal productive offense sitting 27th in terms of GF. That gives them about 2-3months to convert a Kovalchuk used to having a system built around his skills to one playing on a defensive team.
Not too sure how that will pan out for them. Gaborik couldn't flourish under Lemaire, Kovalchuk is even more offensively minded.

If they don't go far in the POs, I'm not too sure they have big chances of re-signing. Not only might he not fit in their system, but maybe he's not interested in playing in yet another dead hockey market. Purely speculative from my part, but I only hope this guy finally plays in a city where he'll be cherrished for what he really is.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:33 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Kriss,

I'm a bit of a Lou lover and I think he really didn't think much of their 2 rookies, so they decided to unload them in a rental trade.

What do you think of that possibility? ( I can't remember their names but its their 2 throw ins that were both 1st round pics).

Last edited by macavoy: 02-04-2010 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Bergfors and Cormier
macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 12:01 AM
McNuts

The only way NJ wins this trade is if they win the Stanley Cup.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 12:01 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Quote:
"Lou a sorti un chapeau de son sac!" --Benoit Brunet
He never ceases to amaze. He also named one of the players Cammallerri tonight. Even though Brunet is as bad at quotes as George W. Bush, he's correct. Lou robbed the Thrashers big time.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 12:04 AM
Nidema

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Oh hell no. I hope he's wrong. The Habs can't be trying to do something stupid like that.
Well they could have been in on it but be offering junk. Spacek, D'agostini, Carle, 1st, Trotter. Not a serious offer but still sorta in on it. I doubt that Gainey didn't at least make a call to test the waters and see his response to his package. If anything, it lets him establish a frame of reference of how these assets are valued on the open market so he can use that knowledge for later dealings.

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 12:15 AM
superstar436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
So Kovy just went from playing in front of 8k fans per game, to 9k. How exciting for his career.
: laugh:

superstar436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 12:20 AM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Giving Gaborik 7.5 million IS THE mistake. That contract is a recipe for disaster. They have been lucky so far, but most years you're lucky to get 45-50 games from Gaborik.
45-50 games for Gaborik = 55-60 pts = A full season production for 7.3M$ Gomez

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 12:55 AM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

mother of god.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 12:58 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Kriss,

I'm a bit of a Lou lover and I think he really didn't think much of their 2 rookies, so they decided to unload them in a rental trade.

What do you think of that possibility? ( I can't remember their names but its their 2 throw ins that were both 1st round pics).
Isn't Bergfors the only 1st rounder (player, that is) in the group? Oduya was a late rounder, and I thought Cormier was a 2nd rounder (late 2nd too, I think).

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:02 AM
macavoy

you think wrong.

Old
02-05-2010, 01:07 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
you think wrong.
Me? Which part?

edit: double-checked

Bergfors: 1st round, #23
Cormier: 2nd round, #54
Oduya: 7th round, #221
1st round pick.

Old
02-05-2010, 01:10 AM
Spitfire14

Cormier was drafted in the 2nd round.

Spitfire14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:11 AM
macavoy

Ok, I'm wrong, I can admit it but I relied on a news report.

Old
02-05-2010, 01:13 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Ok, I'm wrong, I can admit it but I relied on a news report.
Ohashi_Jouzu say: He who relies on the media to think, process, and report is lost.

Old
02-05-2010, 01:29 AM
RevenueSharing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
So Kovy just went from playing in front of 8k fans per game, to 9k. How exciting for his career.
and you know what's crazy about this? because the habs far and away make the most revenue in the league along with the leafs, a portion of OUR money is being used by jersey to pay for Kovalchuk's salary. Cool ain't it? Gotta love Revenue Sharing and helping out the poor teams that don't have any freaking fans.

RevenueSharing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:35 AM
Go Habs Go

Thank you Bob for not making this trade. That return is ridiculous

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:40 AM
tinyzombies

Bettman should have nixed this trade. Ridiculous. Atlanta gets Oduya and nothing. I'm guessing Bob took Subban off the table (why I don't know). Smells like collusion to me. The owners are at it again.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:44 AM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
Thank you Bob for not making this trade. That return is ridiculous
Essentially it'd be for us like trading Gorges (Oduya, sort of but not quite as good), Leblanc (Cormier), Pouliot (Bergfors) and our 1st rounder (a more valuable one so that balances out the Gorges<Oduya comparison). If that were for Kovy beyond 2 years, I'd be all for it. But not for potentially a rental. Plus Lou might have decided Subban would be preferable over Gorges or one of the other two. It makes more sense for Jersey since they can afford to make this deal and it could get them a cup. And who knows? Maybe Kovy takes a liking to ti and signs there. Although it would be expensive, Kovy turned down those offers from Atlanta not on money purposes but because he's tired of playing for that losing franchise with its clueless owners and their puppet strings incompetent GM (who set the team back 5 years in his desperate moves in 07 to get the Thrashers somewhere- which turned out to be a humiliating sweep against New York).

Atlanta obviously couldn't get much more out of anyone or get something in current assets. THey're in trouble down there, but won't be going anywhere... unless Bettman can handpick and/or be sucked up to by potential new owners who want to move it somewhere. I think the NHL would let a team be moved to Hamilton, only under their own terms hence why Ballsillie got battled. This could also result in a team in Las Vegas or Kansas City but only the former would make any sense, seeing as how KC is part of the Blues fan territory and already had an NHL team that failed. Could work better than Atlanta though, a hot locality that has never taken to hockey the way people in Dallas or Carolina have. Winning would've helped, mind you.

Last edited by Hab-a-maniac: 02-05-2010 at 01:51 AM.
Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 03:43 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Bob McKenzie: Bergfors, Oduya, Cormier and a 1st rd pick
Jersey never had to give up Tedenby or Josefson? Devils really never gave up much, their pick will be late first round, this is not a overwhelming draft by then. Cormier is a third liner tops, Bergfors on pace for 40 points, and Oduya is an average defenseman. First Phaneuf and now Kovalchuk can't believe star players go for quantity. Bob where was you?

Jersey fans must like that trade they don't give up much for Cup shot.

Last edited by GNick42: 02-05-2010 at 04:07 AM.
GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 06:10 AM
GeneralMarky79

quite possibly as bad as the Joe Thornton trade to San Jose holy crap. Jersey gave up nothing in this trade. Like whitesnake said earilier esp since they swaped 2nd rounders the first rounder will be late anyway. WOW what a terrible trade. sucks for both teams really Devils will have to live with an ENOURMOUS contract and the thrashers suck more than the did before.

GeneralMarky79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 06:31 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX PACIORETTY View Post
quite possibly as bad as the Joe Thornton trade to San Jose holy crap. Jersey gave up nothing in this trade. Like whitesnake said earilier esp since they swaped 2nd rounders the first rounder will be late anyway. WOW what a terrible trade. sucks for both teams really Devils will have to live with an ENOURMOUS contract and the thrashers suck more than the did before.
What little Jersey gave up could all be replaced thru free agency, role players.

Waddell's mistake on this trade could be final nail for Atlanta. Tough to trade a 50 goal for next to nil in return and keep good fanbase.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote