HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Halak will get traded soon according to Réjean and Marinaro.

Old
02-04-2010, 11:56 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyukhin View Post

If im GM/coach
next season 50-55 games Halak
If I'm GM / coach, I don't decide to blanketly give someone 50x starts no matter what. That is how you fall below expectations, by doing something because you decided it was the right move last year.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:59 PM
Nidema

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
If I'm GM / coach, I don't decide to blanketly give someone 50x starts no matter what. That is how you fall below expectations, by doing something because you decided it was the right move last year.
Yea exactly. Unless you are a proven veteran like Backstrom, Miller, Bryzgalov and the likes, you should always be fighting for your ice time. Heck, even Thomas is kinda fighting his ice-time. To pencil young goalies in for a set amount of games is not the best practice in my opinion. Make them earn it. Halak definitely has and hopefully, Price will learn from this experience and work harder.

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 12:00 AM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
No thanks.
How about JF Jacques.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 12:02 AM
Nidema

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
How about JF Jacques.
How about Eberle? Didn't think so.

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Habs4thewin

People are saying there is no market for a goalie... While somehow I agree, I think there is always a market for a good young goaltender.... Halak is only 24 while Price is 22...

Maybe we rushed Price a little, but can you blame the organization after he pratically won the calder cup by himself ? ...

I still think Carey Price is our future... Who knows if Halak is falling into a slump in 1 week ? Trade him now... It's not the 1st time we see a young goalie have a super streak and cold down a little few weeks after... It happened every year around the league...

I think Marcoux is doing a great job and I would like to see a veteran goaltender with Price either this year or for the next season... He's still learning the game and will do so for a long time still...

My 2 cents

Habs4thewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 08:12 AM
BadHabit

If we trade Halak it will mark the death of this seasons playoff run. With that being said, the way the team is playing we won't go far anyhow, so if we get good return it might not be too bad. However if Price doesn't step up next year, we're back to another 5 year plan.

Decisions decisions...

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 08:16 AM
HomaridII

From Mike Boone's about last night:

http://habsinsideout.com/boone/28753

More recently, Canadiens president Pierre Boivin told some dining companions that Halak would be traded soon.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 08:23 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post

More recently, Canadiens president Pierre Boivin told some dining companions that Halak would be traded soon.
Halak looks poised now and I would say very focus, play him.

otto bond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 08:36 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:

What a huge mistake that would be..

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 08:52 AM
Jedrik

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
If that's true, what the hell is Pierre Boivin doing telling his dinner buddies that trades are imminent and specifying players? Not very professional. Though I must confess, I don't even know what an NHL president exactly 'does'.

And I've been away from the boards for several weeks -- I see there's been some mod-reshuffling. Cheers natey on becoming our newest babysitter!

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 08:57 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
we have been hearing about this for like some time now.. hopefully bob is not retarded and plays his cards like a true MTF* *g thug, the last time we were having 2 pairs, the last card came up, now you got a full (halak insane performances since on the spot), play smart and dont give up on your hand... but strike fast, because the oponent, might realise they could just fold and play against someone else...

Halak, might get traded, its Bob RESPONSABILITY to increase Jaros value, and get it done now, while everyone is aware, and some teams in desperate need of a potential Nabokov, Kipprusof or Vokoun ( old habs property.. perfect exemple )... We all know on how old habs players can simply dominate elsewhere.. we have seen that with multiple players.. its already a huge pression in mONTREAL, i dont see how he wouldnt be as good elsewhere..

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:

I hope Molson will continuously look over Gainey's shoulders (we know Gainey has a serious man crush on Price) to make sure the Montreal Canadiens' assets are well managed and maximised.

Whatever happens, the Montreal Canadiens will end up with a good starter (Halak and Price are two very gifted and young goalies) so the most important thing, imo, is to make sure the runner up, whoever he is, fetch the biggest possible return.

With all his thoroughbred crap, I think Gainey is biased. In consequence, Molson should not give free reign to Gainey.

Btw... Réjean Tremblay first reported it ("...More recently, Canadiens president Pierre Boivin told some dining companions that Halak would be traded soon...") a week ago:

"... Pierre Boivin a rencontré des hommes d'affaires la semaine dernière. Deux jours avant l'annonce, il a révélé à ses hôtes que les jours de Georges Laraque étaient terminés avec le Canadien. Et selon une Gorge profonde qui était présente à la rencontre avec M. Bovin, il a également ajouté que d'ici deux ou trois semaines, Jaroslav Halak serait échangé. Les choses peuvent évoluer dans une autre direction, mais Gorge profonde est fiable. Il brasse des centaines de millions (et ce n'est pas un Vincent Lacroix) et il suit son hockey. Mais peut-être que d'ici la date limite des transactions, Bob Gainey aura changé d'idée..."

Loosely translated:

"... Pierre Boivin attended a business meeting last week (19/01?). Two days before Laraque was fired, he told his hosts that Laraque's days with the club were over. According to the same source, an important businessman also present at the conference, Boivin added that the plan was to move Halak within 2-3 weeks..."

Réjean Tremblay ended his note with "... things change quickly in hockey and maybe Gainey will change his mind...".

Source: http://www.cyberpresse.ca/opinions/c...pas-perdre.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
Dude is at 930 in Sv%, now I'm one of those who did like him, but I never thought he was THAT good.

Also what I love from Halak this year is that he asked for a trade because he thinks he can be a number 1 goalie elsewhere and he backs it up with his play.

That's called balls.
Just a quick note: Halak asked for more TOI. I think (hope!) he would be happy with more TOI in Montreal.

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 02-05-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 09:36 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Dude is at 930 in Sv%, now I'm one of those who did like him, but I never thought he was THAT good.

Also what I love from Halak this year is that he asked for a trade because he thinks he can be a number 1 goalie elsewhere and he backs it up with his play.

That's called balls.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 09:38 AM
hotcarle

Tony Marinaro continues on his crusade over how unhappy Halak is, and the damage is done, etc. Can't we just hope that he's happy that he's playing a lot and that's he a good team guy that won't put his past "hurt feelings" ahead of the team? Halak seems happy to win, the team plays hard for him, let it be. We have two good goalies who are the brightest spot in this otherwise mediocre season.

The radio guys always complain about how you have to choose a number one goalie and stick with it. While it doesn't seem to be common, teams like the 2002 and 2006 Hurricanes alternated starting/hot goalies until the Stanley Cup finals. Halak is hot, leave him in, end of discussion/controversy. Should he cool off, we'll deal with it later. Why trade a young goalie? How much did Anaheim get for Bryzgalov again? Oh ya...nothing.

Goaltending is not the problem.

hotcarle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHab View Post
Halak is a distraction!! Gainey will pull the trigger.
on the contrary, he loves distractions.. just look at his team..

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 10:09 AM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
I hope Molson will continuously look over Gainey's shoulders (we know Gainey has a serious man crush on Price) to make sure the Montreal Canadiens' assets are well managed and maximised.
Umm...as you say, Gainey might be biased, but I would much rather place my faith in a biased Gainey than a beer company.

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
Umm...as you say, Gainey might be biased, but I would much rather place my faith in a biased Gainey than a beer company.
I have zero faith in Gainey regarding our goalies situation so I guess we will have to agree to disagree here!

Old
02-05-2010, 10:29 AM
mvp76

[QUOTE=hotcarle;23673595]Tony Marinaro continues on his crusade over how unhappy Halak is, and the damage is done, etc. Can't we just hope that he's happy that he's playing a lot and that's he a good team guy that won't put his past "hurt feelings" ahead of the team? Halak seems happy to win, the team plays hard for him, let it be. We have two good goalies who are the brightest spot in this otherwise mediocre season.

I don't buy this bit by Marinaro. Halak has said he wants to play whether it's here or somewhere else as long as he's playing more. Halak wanted to be in a spot where he could prove himself an this is where he is right now. I don't know if this would persuade him to sign an extension after the season but his RFA status holds his rights to us.

The way I see it, many have penned Price as the goalie of the future,
If so, let him earn it...Halak wants to play more, Ride Halak this year and next and season Price as a back-up..The salary cap would have something to say to this but there's ways to make things happen. Hell Bob Managed to trade a problematic Theodore with a fat contract..

mvp76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
How about JF Jacques.
Hmmm... Let me see. I starting goalie that seems to be the real thing for a 4th liner? Still no thanks.

It really doesn't matter because the Habs need Halak and Price and should keep both until this summer, at the very least. There's no rush to trade either and Halak's value keeps on rising. If a team really wants him, they'll have to pay Gainey's price. Otherwise, no deal.

Fozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Capitano

Gotta keep them both as long as we can...trading either one of them can come back to bite us.

I'd rather wait until the new goalie pad regulation comes in next year to see how they do.

Keep both for now.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 10:55 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Name one time in the history of the NHL where ownership meddling into the GM's affairs has been a good thing. The GM is a hockey expert; the owner is a hockey fan... If the owner doesn't feel the GM is doing a good job, he should replace him with another expert, not start meddling...

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
Name one time in the history of the NHL where ownership meddling into the GM's affairs has been a good thing. The GM is a hockey expert; the owner is a hockey fan... If the owner doesn't feel the GM is doing a good job, he should replace him with another expert, not start meddling...
Gainey took the helm in 2003; I think his leash got shorter over the years.

I understand your point (an owner, under normal circumstances should not intervene/meddle in hockey operations) and I agree with you.

However, the goalie situation (both goalies want TOI, they are young and this team has plenty of holes to fill so a trade is definitely a possibility) in Montreal, can not be considered as "normal circumstances". Remember Huet out? Gainey openly declaring that Halak is on the market a few weeks ago (I already provided links)? And what about the thoroughbred crap?

Imo Gainey is biased and I don't trust him regarding our goalies situation. Molson looking over his GM's shoulder would be the lesser of two evils imo.

Old
02-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Kafka

If Halak is heading to Dallas, then Gainey can't ask nothing else than Jamie Benn. I don't want Halak to go, but if he has to, then it needs to be for him. I don't want a second round pick for Halak deal please...

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Brownies

If one of Halak or Price is traded this season It will be the "Roy" fiasco all over...

Brownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 11:57 AM
vokiel
Registered Settler

I don't think we're trading Halak before the Olympics, let alone trade him at all.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote