HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

KOVALCHUK traded to the New Jersey Devils for Bergfors, Oduya, Cormier & 1st rounder

Old
02-05-2010, 07:37 AM
Prendan Brust

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony View Post
Just here at HFBoards, you have about 250 posters that think they'd do a better job.

-----------------------------------------------------

I think Atlanta would probably consider an offer like :

O'Byrne (or Gorges), Kostitsyn 1st + mid level prospect

They might consider Plekanec if they're sure they can sign him. I doubt they take another risky UFA for Kovalchuk. They want to get something for next year... Something that could make them better.

Can we afford a deal like this? Not sure...
Not to pat my own back (yes in fact ) but I was pretty spot on with my evaluation of Kovalchuk's value.

Next time I speak, listen you peons.

Prendan Brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 07:50 AM
CarrePrisme

I hate the Devils even more now, if that's possible.

Last edited by CarrePrisme: 02-05-2010 at 08:16 AM.
CarrePrisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Jiggernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony View Post
Not to pat my own back (yes in fact ) but I was pretty spot on with my evaluation of Kovalchuk's value.

Next time I speak, listen you peons.
Yes, pat yourself on the back for 'evaluating' Kovalchuks value on what Wadell said he was asking for, and reported a whole day before you posted it.

"Teams have been told Waddell wants one top six forward, one top four defenceman and a prospect or high end draft pick."

"O'Byrne (or Gorges), Kostitsyn 1st + mid level prospect"

And what does he go for? A top four D Man, A young 1st round player with top 6 potential, another prospect AND a frist round pick.

Bravo.....bravo...

Jiggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 09:20 AM
Prendan Brust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggernaut View Post
Yes, pat yourself on the back for 'evaluating' Kovalchuks value on what Wadell said he was asking for, and reported a whole day before you posted it.

"Teams have been told Waddell wants one top six forward, one top four defenceman and a prospect or high end draft pick."

"O'Byrne (or Gorges), Kostitsyn 1st + mid level prospect"

And what does he go for? A top four D Man, A young 1st round player with top 6 potential, another prospect AND a frist round pick.

Bravo.....bravo...

I didn't know what Waddell asked but it was tongue in cheek anyway. No need to get pissy.

Prendan Brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 09:48 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Kovalchuk: Party Like it's 2001/2002

A crappy team with a goaltender that might be good enough to lift his teammates to the playoffs?

A pitch to Waddell for Ilya Kovalchuk.

I've seen this movie before.

Seriously, we've got to be thinking it. In 2001 Kovalchuk was one of the biggest prizes in entry draft history, and if you believe the reports, was one untouchable player away from being pilfered by the Montreal Canadiens in a player package that would have built Atlanta a decent team.

Fast forward.

Montreal is as needy as they were back in 2001. 22 guys and a great goaltender -same team situation. Same player sits before us, this time possibly as a free agent and a big (and known) price tag around his neck.

Albatross or the superstar we've needed and missed for a long time?

Ruskie Primadonna, or team foundation?

Deal or no Deal?

Before someone starts typing "the salary Cap says HI" it is obvious that salaries need to be cleared for a signing of this magnitude. At minimum Gomez, Plekanec, a goalie have to be sacrificed.

The move will put the team tight against the cap every year for the foreseeable future. It will place total reliance on Timmins and GM creativity for the future success of the team, as player development and the minor snapping of pieces in and out of the roster would be the keys to making a Kovalchuk centric team more than Atlanta ever became.

As someone who has seen the team struggle for so long, is baffled at it's current offensve ineptitude, and with no other solutions on the horizon, I think a good rebirth could be had going forward with a great goaltender, great defenceman, and great offensive forward.

A once-in-a-generation opportunity possibly coming up. Let's hope Lemaire is insufferable to Kovalchuk and he opts for free agency. And Bob lands the helicopter and the deal.

One mans opinion.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 09:50 AM
Kebekoi

1. OP cannot inb4
2. The salary Cap says HI

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Fozz

@earl the habs fan

Food for thought indeed.

Hockey is a team sport and a team isn't has good as it's best players. I'll take a solid lineup throughout instead of a few super-dupers complemented by a bunch of holes, thanks.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 09:55 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
What little Jersey gave up could all be replaced thru free agency, role players.

Waddell's mistake on this trade could be final nail for Atlanta. Tough to trade a 50 goal for next to nil in return and keep good fanbase.
Trashers had fans?

Welcome to Hamilton/Quebec Trashers.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX PACIORETTY View Post
quite possibly as bad as the Joe Thornton trade to San Jose holy crap. Jersey gave up nothing in this trade. Like whitesnake said earilier esp since they swaped 2nd rounders the first rounder will be late anyway. WOW what a terrible trade. sucks for both teams really Devils will have to live with an ENOURMOUS contract and the thrashers suck more than the did before.
Devils didn't sign Kovalchuk, so they're not stuck with a huge contract. I personally don't see Kovalchuk signing there.

As for the return, Jersey overpaid. You don't know much about the players involved if you feel they're nothing.
Bergfors is a solid prospect having a great rookie year. He can be an A.Kost type scorer except consistent.
Oduya is a solid D, better than Gorges.
Cormier can become a 3rd liner and I wouldn't mind having him in my prospect pool at all.
1st round pick is still a 1st round pick. Matters little if it's a late one or not. It's an extra asset and they now have 2 first rounders.
They can trade away both and a player to move up the draft, or trade them for players before, all in all, it gives them an extra asset.
Never say no to a 1st rounder, and if players can be picked in the 9th round only to become solid NHLers, then it shouldn't be a problem doing so with a late 1st round pick either.

NJ overpaid.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevenueSharing View Post
and you know what's crazy about this? because the habs far and away make the most revenue in the league along with the leafs, a portion of OUR money is being used by jersey to pay for Kovalchuk's salary. Cool ain't it? Gotta love Revenue Sharing and helping out the poor teams that don't have any freaking fans.
I'm not sure if NJ is getting revenue sharing. I think Waddell sent him to Jersey though as a final 'FU' to Kovalchuk for not wanting to stay in Atlanta.

I mean, it would have made more sense to hang on for a bit before trading him unless Don was a little pissed.

Last edited by Habs: 02-05-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:31 PM
sheed36

Don Waddell is on hockeycentral right now and he just said that the Kovy camp wanted a 13 year deal @ the max per year..So over 130 million for 13 years..Sad part is Waddell said the Kovy camp felt that was his worth...

So Kovy seemingly wanted the Thrashers to overpay him to keep him there as I doubt he gets 100 million from any other team....Kudo's to Waddell for not giving into that greedy son of a *****'s contract demands....

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Don Waddell is on hockeycentral right now and he just said that the Kovy camp wanted a 13 year deal @ the max per year..So over 130 million for 13 years..Sad part is Waddell said the Kovy camp felt that was his worth...

So Kovy seemingly wanted the Thrashers to overpay him to keep him there as I doubt he gets 100 million from any other team....Kudo's to Waddell for not giving into that greedy son of a *****'s contract demands....
Yup, was just watching that myself. 13 years of the max, eh? Waddell did well refusing to go to those limits. Do Kovy and his agent really expect to get that somewhere else, or will they end up accepting less to join a "contender" in the off season? Waddell offered him 10 years, $100 mil and he refused. I think that shows Ilya's commitment to the Thrashers. It also shows that this is a "now or never" situation for NJ, as I doubt they will throw the kind of money around that Ilya wants after this Cup run. We'll see though.

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post

You have to be able to read between the lines. It's like Lemaire asking the Habs for 3M, a big house on the north shore, and 4 season tickets.
It pretty much means, I don't want to coach here so if you want to convince me otherwise, you'll have to really overpay.

Same thing with Kovalchuk. He wanted out, so the only way he'd consider staying is if they paid the max.

I don't think he's expecting that much from other teams during the summer.

I think he's seeing Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin all getting huge recognitions, and he's stuck on a crappy Atlanta team playing in front of 5people.
I've said it before, I think (''hope'' might be the better word) that he wants to play in a hockey market city.
He'd be an absolute God if he played in Mtl, or Toronto, CGY, VAN, well any Canadian city.
I really hope he doesn't re-sign in NJ, and I doubt he will.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 03:05 PM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

I dont know Im not used to seeing Kovi in red...

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post

I've seen this movie before.

Fast forward.

Montreal is as needy as they were back in 2001. 22 guys and a great goaltender -same team situation. Same player sits before us, this time possibly as a free agent and a big (and known) price tag around his neck..
Are you comparing Gionta and Cammalleri to Pretov and Savage?? Brisebois to Markov?? Theo wasen't even great back then, save % under .910... both Price and Halak are better.

This team is a lot better than the joke of a team we had in 00-01.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote