HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jokinen on Phaneuf

Old
02-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Kevin Malone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Cayce View Post
Apparantly it was a rift of cliques. If it was true, maybe Olli was with Dion. I don't really care either way, as long as it helps the team win. I also don't mind intense people, and can be short fused myslef. If teammates are gonna whine enough and not compete to get rid of an intense or even irritating individual, then they aren't real competitors in my opinion. Wasn't there a rift between Roberts/Domi and Tucker/Corson? That never affected their play. Of course haveing level headed guys like Niewy and Sundin surely helped.
I'm pretty sure that was because of some adultery going on at the time which led to players taking sides.

Kevin Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:11 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
too bad we couldnt have gotten jokinen as well
Don't you think Jokinen is angling right now?

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:14 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 9-5

I wouldn't mind Jokinen for the right price. After all other 1st line options have been explored.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:18 PM
GoodNewfieBoy
Jim,coach Leafs too?

I'd actually like to get Jokinen. He's probably top 5 free agent out there, definitely top 10. Maybe give him 8 million over 2 years. If I was Burkie I wouldn't do more than that, maybe try to get him for 7/2 or 10.5/3...

GoodNewfieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Falon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Don't you think Jokinen is angling right now?
Absolutely, without a doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
I wouldn't mind Jokinen for the right price. After all other 1st line options have been explored.
Unfortunately, managers get really silly in the offseason. I doubt Jokinen signs anywhere for the "right" price. It will almost certainly be the "wrong" price. Here's my guess. 5 years (for Jokinen), front loaded, 4 million dollar cap hit contract with a limited no trade clause. About a million less than his cap hit now, while making no less money for the first 3 years. Someone will offer that up. Whether it is Burke or not. Then again, Alex Tanguay (fortunately) got a lot less then he expected, I think after a weak year in Montreal. And is having trouble living up to THAT.

Falon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:26 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 9-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falon View Post
Absolutely, without a doubt.

Unfortunately, managers get really silly in the offseason. I doubt Jokinen signs anywhere for the "right" price. It will almost certainly be the "wrong" price. Here's my guess. 5 years (for Jokinen), front loaded, 4 million dollar cap hit contract with a limited no trade clause. About a million less than his cap hit now, while making no less money for the first 3 years. Someone will offer that up. Whether it is Burke or not. Then again, Alex Tanguay (fortunately) got a lot less then he expected, I think after a weak year in Montreal. And is having trouble living up to THAT.
Burke doesn't strike me as the silly type. He'll have a number/term that he won't exceed.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Falon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Burke doesn't strike me as the silly type. He'll have a number/term that he won't exceed.
You know what, I withdraw my comment. The more I think about it, the more I realise that if Burke had genuine interest in Jokinen, he probably would have got him in the Calgary trade. Considering what the Flames got for him, adding Ponikarovsky probably would have been enough.

Falon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:35 PM
stoney

I'm pretty sure most of the rumours about Phaneuf being a dressing room cancer came from Eklund and his "sources".

He mentioned it more than once, and as far as I'm concerned that completely discredits the entire premise if history serves as evidence.

stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:41 PM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falon View Post
You know what, I withdraw my comment. The more I think about it, the more I realise that if Burke had genuine interest in Jokinen, he probably would have got him in the Calgary trade. Considering what the Flames got for him, adding Ponikarovsky probably would have been enough.
Jokinen is a UFA though. The Leafs aren't competing for a stretch drive, so why give up something more for a few months of negotiating with Jokinen ?

And who knows what Sutter wanted ...

BlueAndWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I wonder if Jokinen was one of the Phaneuf faction guys that Regehr and co. apparently had problems with? Just wondering aloud..
I wonder if that would explain his poor play in Calgary?

080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:49 PM
spitfires07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Belfour View Post
I'm pretty sure that was because of some adultery going on at the time which led to players taking sides.
Does anyone remember the clothing line that tucker and corson had? It was called Kewl or something. Im guessing its non-existent now

spitfires07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:57 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfires07 View Post
Does anyone remember the clothing line that tucker and corson had? It was called Kewl or something. Im guessing its non-existent now
Still out there with Tucker, May, Ohlund, Colaiacovo, Clouthier referenced.

Old
02-05-2010, 02:07 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Jokinen on a 2-3 year contract next season would not be that bad if the money is right.
3 years $9m or 2 years $7m.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Mikeyplz

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfires07 View Post
haha i still have a Kewl tracksuit from my highschool hockey team from a few years ago. I still wear the pants, they're awsome lmao

Mikeyplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Jokinen on a 2-3 year contract next season would not be that bad if the money is right.
3 years $9m or 2 years $7m.
As I've said, there's no way a guy with his history signs for that low, unless someone is blackmailing him. Got any compromising pictures?

Expect $4.5 million minimum on a 3 year deal.

Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodCanadianBoy View Post
I'd actually like to get Jokinen. He's probably top 5 free agent out there, definitely top 10. Maybe give him 8 million over 2 years. If I was Burkie I wouldn't do more than that, maybe try to get him for 7/2 or 10.5/3...
That says less about Jokinen, and more about the quality of the FA pool though, doesn't it?

Personally I'd say no - underachieving players just aren't what's needed here.

That, and Jokinen doesn't appear to be the type of player that Burke prefers; if he were, he probably would have been involved in the Phaneuf deal, no?

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:21 PM
DoctorPayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiberg View Post
Funny quote. I'm having a hard time picturing Jokinen 'going to war'.
This help?

DoctorPayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:23 PM
robr00

I wouldnt be surprised to see him get Tanguay type money which wouldnt be too bad.

robr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:23 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
That says less about Jokinen, and more about the quality of the FA pool though, doesn't it?

Personally I'd say no - underachieving players just aren't what's needed here.

That, and Jokinen doesn't appear to be the type of player that Burke prefers; if he were, he probably would have been involved in the Phaneuf deal, no?
It certainly looks like Sutter was after a player under contract for him. He didn't have to take Kotalik. Who could the Leafs have offered who is healthy and under contract next year that could contribute this year?

Leafs really don't have much left that fits that category.

Old
02-05-2010, 02:36 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneymcstone View Post
I'm pretty sure most of the rumours about Phaneuf being a dressing room cancer came from Eklund and his "sources".

He mentioned it more than once, and as far as I'm concerned that completely discredits the entire premise if history serves as evidence.
Hey now that means a 6% chance it could be true. Don't diss the Eck

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:59 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HocusPocus View Post
Coming from a guy recently shipped out of the same dressing room as Phaneuf, apparently he was not a problem personality as has been suggested.

The article goes on to suggest that it might have been disgruntled fans that caused him to be traded. I'm not sure I really believe that at all but at least dressing room problems don't seem to have been the big issue with Phaneuf in Calgary.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hoc...49296-sun.html
I am pretty sure it was a 9 game losing streak and a $6 million offensive defenseman working on a 30 pt season. You don't change a losing mentality by moving the bit players around. Plus Giordano stepped up and basically outplayed Phaneuf while earning under $1 million a year. Can't trade Jaybo and Regehr wouldn't bring as much back.

If Dion had a bit of an attitude before I think he will be a bit more humble with a new club where nobady remembers or mcares how good he was a few years ago. I listen to Fan 960 in Calgary every day and i have never heard anything about his character(or Olli's for that matter).

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Morguee
That's Mind-boggling

I saw Tucker and Corson referenced in this thread so I have to go back a bit and reference Gary Roberts. This is who Dion somewhat reminds me of with his intensity and personality. Not always the most social chap but very intense and competed hard.

Morguee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Spazmatic Dan
Force Beyond Measure

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Jokinen talking about cancer in the dressing room is like Tiger Woods vouching that his buddy isnt an adulterer.
Takes one to know one.

So clearly either one or both of them isn't one.

Logic=sound.

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:35 PM
Ratboy
PTSD-Leafdom

I think the only major locker-room problem to be traded on sunday was Mr. Jason Blake.

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:38 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneymcstone View Post

Eklund was funny yesterday. Six hours before the Kov trade, he was posting that everyone needed to relax, it was going to take awhile. LOL.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote