HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers to talk extension with Emery soon; not interested in Turco

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-05-2010, 01:34 PM
  #51
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Hartnell has a NTC

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:52 PM
  #52
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
At this point I deal Hartnell + Bouch/Emery for Halak + some middling prospect + Cap Space and feel alright about it.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:54 PM
  #53
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Hartnell has a NTC
When considering MTL has a decent team, I could see the Flyers convincing him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
At this point I deal Hartnell + Bouch/Emery for Halak + some middling prospect + Cap Space and feel alright about it.
I wouldn't. If we're trading Hartnell we need to at least get at least a cheap 3rd liner out of it. Preferably a punk ala Hartnell, Knuble, or JVR to sit in front of the net. Pacioretty can do that. That's the whole point.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:58 PM
  #54
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
When considering MTL has a decent team, I could see the Flyers convincing him.



I wouldn't. If we're trading Hartnell we need to at least get at least a cheap 3rd liner out of it. Preferably a punk ala Hartnell, Knuble, or JVR to sit in front of the net. Pacioretty can do that. That's the whole point.
I see where you're coming from, but then it's probably got to grow a little bit on our side of things too. The way Halak is going right now, I don't know if Montreal deals him for Hartnell straight up, let alone Pacioretty and Halak.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:24 PM
  #55
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Let's not turn Fleury into freaking Brodeur.

The overrating of Marc-Andre Fleury's abilities as a goaltender are becoming vastly overrated just like the amount of beer you drank and the hilarity of the stupid things you did the night before grew to the best night of your life by the time the sun set.

Where do you see me overrating him and turning him into borduer? I was using him as an example. If you watched the playoffs last year you will know that when the pens needed their goalie to come up big and make the saves at key times he did. He kept them from losing games and he won games for them. So agin i ask you put fleury on the flyers and biron on the pens. Who wins that series?

How is fleury overrated by the way? He isnít mentioned in the top tier of goalies. Yet he still gets the job done. Plays big when it matters.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:51 PM
  #56
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Where do you see me overrating him and turning him into borduer? I was using him as an example. If you watched the playoffs last year you will know that when the pens needed their goalie to come up big and make the saves at key times he did. He kept them from losing games and he won games for them. So agin i ask you put fleury on the flyers and biron on the pens. Who wins that series?

How is fleury overrated by the way? He isnít mentioned in the top tier of goalies. Yet he still gets the job done. Plays big when it matters.
Pens still win that series if they had Biron and we had Fleury. The only thing I think that was changeable that determined the outcome of that series was the end of game 2. That BS call was the difference between 1-1 at home and all the momentum vs. 0-2 headed home with no momentum. Us, with Fleury, does not change the outcome of that series.

You said Fleury has more ability to steal games than Emery, yet you've seen Boucher and Leighton practically steal us games this season if our offense at the time was anywhere NEAR competent. Emery has also stolen us some games. Maybe you can't remember them, but he's had a few. Normally when Emery was winning he didn't need to steal us games. He certainly stole some games for Ottawa during their Cup run.

This idea of "stealing games" is completely overblown. Any hot goaltender can steal a few games here and there. Any hot goaltender can steal a playoff series. The real question is whether or not a HEALTHY goalie you have can remain consistent enough even when he's not on fire to give his team a chance to win a playoff series. Both Emery and Fleury are capable of that.

The only goalies who can flip a switch, so to speak, are the truly elite ones like Brodeur, Luongo, Miller, and Lundqvist. Even then, their teams aren't always the greatest. Only Brodeur has had real success.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 03:03 PM
  #57
1865
Registered User
 
1865's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chester, UK
Country: England
Posts: 9,155
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
In the division with Brodeur, Lundqvist, MAF, as well as older but still good Rolston and who knows about DP situation.

Flyers may have Emery. How ironic.
What's ironic about that?

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 03:06 PM
  #58
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
The only goalies who can flip a switch, so to speak, are the truly elite ones like Brodeur, Luongo, Miller, and Lundqvist. Even then, their teams aren't always the greatest. Only Brodeur has had real success.
Why are you comparing everyone to Brodeur? He is unique goalie/player.

Lets compare every forward to Gretzky and see where it will take us. How about that?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 03:10 PM
  #59
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Pens still win that series if they had Biron and we had Fleury. The only thing I think that was changeable that determined the outcome of that series was the end of game 2. That BS call was the difference between 1-1 at home and all the momentum vs. 0-2 headed home with no momentum. Us, with Fleury, does not change the outcome of that series.

You said Fleury has more ability to steal games than Emery, yet you've seen Boucher and Leighton practically steal us games this season if our offense at the time was anywhere NEAR competent. Emery has also stolen us some games. Maybe you can't remember them, but he's had a few. Normally when Emery was winning he didn't need to steal us games. He certainly stole some games for Ottawa during their Cup run.

This idea of "stealing games" is completely overblown. Any hot goaltender can steal a few games here and there. Any hot goaltender can steal a playoff series. The real question is whether or not a HEALTHY goalie you have can remain consistent enough even when he's not on fire to give his team a chance to win a playoff series. Both Emery and Fleury are capable of that.

The only goalies who can flip a switch, so to speak, are the truly elite ones like Brodeur, Luongo, Miller, and Lundqvist. Even then, their teams aren't always the greatest. Only Brodeur has had real success.

I will totally disagree with you that if they, the flyers, had fleury they win that series rather easily. Goaltending was the biggest key imo. Biron let in soft goal after soft goal. That kills a team as they know they really cant count on their goalie so they play different. Biron Never made a key stop during a key point in the game. Fleury like I said put the hammer down when it was needed. Did that throughout the series. He let up some soft goals as well. However he has the ability to close the door when needed. Every goalie steals a game here and there. No doubt. I am talking about a goalie who does it more than hear and there. Not sure if your comparing emery and fleury but if you are it isnít even close who the better goalie is imo.
dont think the idea of stealing or keeping your teamin games is overblown at all.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:13 PM
  #60
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
What's ironic about that?
I was gonna ask the same thing, but I didn't wanna be that guy. It also occurred to me that if that wasn't a typo and he is making the assertion that Devils right winger Brian Rolston is a better goalie than Emery, that is somewhat ironic and funny (that's a pretty big benefit of the doubt though).

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 03:58 AM
  #61
fire bettman
 
fire bettman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I know this isn't everyone, but why do people think we have a goaltending problem? Even when the Flyers were slumping, their goaltending wasn't the problem. If the Flyers make a trade (which they pretty much have to with all the moves the Atlantic is making) they have to go after a serious D-man. Doubling (or quadrupling, haven't done the real math) Emery's salary to get Turco while not focusing on the team's real needs, would be a terrible idea. I say go after Niedermayer in Anaheim.
I'm with you... I'm pretty happy with our goaltending situation right now, I don't see what all the uproar is about. Emery has been playing really well lately and was playing stellar before his injury. Leighton deserves a lot more credit than Flyers fans have been giving him. He has been nothing but solid from day one, who cares if he doesn't make those perfect pad deflections on every shot he can't snare? He's a perfectly reliable backup for now. It makes me wonder how good of a goalie we have to get for everyone to be satisfied. I think everyone needs to take their eyes off of the stats sheets when it comes to our goalies because after Emery's terrible slump (which we know now was because of injury) and Leighton's horrible start with Carolina it will take some time for those numbers to reflect how well they've been playing as of late.

fire bettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 09:55 PM
  #62
chimrichalds18
the key
 
chimrichalds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 500
Glad to see Morganti has a brain, even though he works for CSN. Postgame show he just said something like "I don't know why they'd bring up an extension when he's shown that he's got a few injuries now."

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 09:58 PM
  #63
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,428
vCash: 5700
Hopefully by some miracle the Sharks let Nabokov walk and we can sign him

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:00 PM
  #64
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Glad to see Morganti has a brain, even though he works for CSN. Postgame show he just said something like "I don't know why they'd bring up an extension when he's shown that he's got a few injuries now."
Even with out injuries.. WTF is so special about Emery that Homer wants to talk any contract now? If some crazy team is ready to pay him over 1.5M a year.. Please do it.

Homer should look into moving Briere, Hartnell and really check Simons health get a real goaltender.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:04 PM
  #65
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Even with out injuries.. WTF is so special about Emery that Homer wants to talk any contract now? If some crazy team is ready to pay him over 1.5M a year.. Please do it.

Homer should look into moving Briere, Hartnell and really check Simons health get a real goaltender.
Likely because Holmgren hopes he can re-sign him for a low offer...as opposed to carving out salary space and going after a more legit option.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:08 PM
  #66
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Likely because Holmgren hopes he can re-sign him for a low offer...as opposed to carving out salary space and going after a more legit option.
I am not so sure I want him for any offer.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.