HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Dallas interested in Goligoski

Old
02-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Gunnar Staal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pensown View Post
Goligoski,Caputi,Johnson,4th for Benn,Fistric,Ott
Jeffery for Sutton
Waive Skoula
Mckee for 4th
Fedetenko for 3rd

Kunitz-Crosby-Guerin
Benn-Staal-Malkin
Cooke-Ott-Kennedy
Dupuis-Rupp-Talbot

Gonch-Orpik
Sutton-Letang
Fistric-Eaton
You are REALLY underselling McKee. Getting less for him than Fedex?

Gunnar Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 08:28 AM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
I'm not going to post the exact numbers, and our winger situation would be heavily influenced by prospects and 15-20 goal FA guys, but it's still possible and I think still a priority for Shero as it stands right now.

Now, I'm not saying which way is right, because I've haven't been anything close to a Gonchar proponent for the future, but I think there's still a good chance he's back next year.
It would probably mean one more season of Guerin, two rookie wingers in the top six, no Cooke and potentially no Eaton either. Sarge isn't worth that. He's good, but he's not worth that.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 08:39 AM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
It would probably mean one more season of Guerin, two rookie wingers in the top six, no Cooke and potentially no Eaton either. Sarge isn't worth that. He's good, but he's not worth that.
Dunno why you harp on Gonchar but we really do not have someone ready to take over for him. There was nothing I saw when Gonchar was down that makes me any bit comfortable in the idea of Letang or Goligoski trying to run our powerplay next year. Gonchar is extremely important in that capacity even moreso than whatever other use his cap space would be put to.

I'd like to see Gonch retire as a penguin. He's been a solid contributor and theres some guys you deal away when you're done with them and theres other guys you treat with respect and let them finish on their own terms. As long as his contract demands are within reason I cannot see any reason why this team shouldnt re-sign him.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 08:56 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
Dunno why you harp on Gonchar but we really do not have someone ready to take over for him. There was nothing I saw when Gonchar was down that makes me any bit comfortable in the idea of Letang or Goligoski trying to run our powerplay next year. Gonchar is extremely important in that capacity even moreso than whatever other use his cap space would be put to.

I'd like to see Gonch retire as a penguin. He's been a solid contributor and theres some guys you deal away when you're done with them and theres other guys you treat with respect and let them finish on their own terms. As long as his contract demands are within reason I cannot see any reason why this team shouldnt re-sign him.
I see nothing but truth in this post.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 09:09 AM
johnniewalker

I'd really like to see us go after Kurtis Foster in the offseason if we can pry him away from Tampa. He took a 1 year deal to show what he could do and to prove his career wasn't over after that leg injury last season, and I think he's proved it.

He might even come reasonably cheap and could be a good PPQB solution.

He has an absolute bomb of a slapper. He has broken the glass behind the net 4 times this season. 14 of his 25 points have come on the power play. He's 6'5", 230 lbs. His +/- has been pretty consistently positive with the exception of some big minuses in blowout games.

johnniewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
I'd really like to see us go after Kurtis Foster in the offseason if we can pry him away from Tampa. He took a 1 year deal to show what he could do and to prove his career wasn't over after that leg injury last season, and I think he's proved it.

He has an absolute bomb of a slapper. He has broken the glass behind the net 4 times this season. 14 of his 25 points have come on the power play. He's 6'5", 230 lbs. His +/- has been pretty consistently positive with the exception of some big minuses in blowout games.
Yeah - I put his name up some months ago here. He has been playing some of his time as a forward though, getting a big proportion of his D ice-time on special teams, but now I think he is back on D regularly. He is not a QB by any means though. He is a RH gun from the point, which only adds to the appeal, IMO. Now that he is showing how he can play again though - he probably isn't going to take the kind of salary he has now - 600k. Would have been nice if we had been the ones to take that chance.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:

If you can define what "within reason" means as far as his demands are, then we can move on. We've already discussed this ad nauseum. And there isn't ANYBODY down on Gonchar. I'm looking at him the way GMs would...from a business standpoint.

Would 3 years, $15 million and a NTC be "within reason" to you? Because it'll probably take at least that to get a deal done. And then we're in even greater cap hell next year and with a potential albatross contract.

Love the guy, hate the contractual situation.

Old
02-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by There's only one 66 View Post
Yeah - I put his name up some months ago here. He has been playing some of his time as a forward though, getting a big proportion of his D ice-time on special teams, but now I think he is back on D regularly. He is not a QB by any means though. He is a RH gun from the point, which only adds to the appeal, IMO. Now that he is showing how he can play again though - he probably isn't going to take the kind of salary he has now - 600k. Would have been nice if we had been the ones to take that chance.
He's not back on D. Ohlund-Lundin, Meszaros-Walker and Hedman-Smaby are their pairings right now. Foster's playing fourth line RW with Fedoruk and Konopka.

To be honest, he'd be an awesome acquisition for us. A 6-7 D man, or sometimes replacement for Godard at fourth line RW with an absolute cannon on power plays.

Old
02-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Quote:

You realize of course the law of unintended consequences would be in play if we signed Foster... that would mean every time he breaks the glass, we have to sit there and listen to Steigerwart and Errey make retarded jokes and yammer on about nothing for an extra 10 minutes. Just Say No to extra Steigerwald air time!

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 11:05 AM
johnniewalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
You realize of course the law of unintended consequences would be in play if we signed Foster... that would mean every time he breaks the glass, we have to sit there and listen to Steigerwart and Errey make retarded jokes and yammer on about nothing for an extra 10 minutes. Just Say No to extra Steigerwald air time!
I suspect the new arena will take that into consideration and have some feature where a new pane of glass automatically pops up and replaces the old one within seconds.

johnniewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

We can dream....

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 11:16 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
I suspect the new arena will take that into consideration and have some feature where a new pane of glass automatically pops up and replaces the old one within seconds.
Lemme guess.... this new automatic glass technology is remote controlled right?

Will these remotes also have a special "Steig-off" button which when used..magically mutes Steigy (but keeps every other sound in the arena audiable) as well?

Hey....I can dream right?

Last edited by MetalheadPenguinsFan: 02-05-2010 at 11:29 AM.
MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 11:19 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Staal View Post
You are REALLY underselling McKee. Getting less for him than Fedex?
That and the fact that no one's going to trade for McKee and Fedetenko by themselves. Why would some team want a salary dump when they're not going to make the playoffs, and give us a pick on top of it lol.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Gooch

Quote:
If you can define what "within reason" means as far as his demands are, then we can move on. We've already discussed this ad nauseum. And there isn't ANYBODY down on Gonchar. I'm looking at him the way GMs would...from a business standpoint.

Would 3 years, $15 million and a NTC be "within reason" to you? Because it'll probably take at least that to get a deal done. And then we're in even greater cap hell next year and with a potential albatross contract.

No I wouldnt consider that within reason and I cant see him asking for the same contract that he asked for when he was in his prime vs where he is on the sunset of his career.

Old
02-05-2010, 11:48 AM
JTG

Quote:

You don't know that. People keep saying "It will take...AT LEAST to get a deal done." The Gonchar situation right now is one of the most cloudy that we have had in a very long time. I don't think anyone knows exactly what he'll fetch.

JTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
You don't know that. People keep saying "It will take...AT LEAST to get a deal done." The Gonchar situation right now is one of the most cloudy that we have had in a very long time. I don't think anyone knows exactly what he'll fetch.
Is he going to take a $1.5 million paycut? If yes, hooray for us because it's going to take that for us not to be forced to get rid of a lot of players to fit him in.

We don't know anything, you're right. But what is his market value? How far are we from the deadline? From July 1? From the Olympics? There isn't a ton of time here.

And I really wish we could lock down Letang first, because the situation on defense is anything but comfortable right now.

Old
02-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Gooch

Quote:
Is he going to take a $1.5 million paycut? If yes, hooray for us because it's going to take that for us not to be forced to get rid of a lot of players to fit him in.

We don't know anything, you're right. But what is his market value? How far are we from the deadline? From July 1? From the Olympics? There isn't a ton of time here.

And I really wish we could lock down Letang first, because the situation on defense is anything but comfortable right now.
I don't believe it's out of the realm of possiblity for him to take a 1.5 mill paycut. He's an older player who probably is comfortable where he is. He made his money already and different things could be of more value than trying to scrape together the biggest contract elsewhere. Sometimes piece of mind and security rank higher than money.

While on the open market I wouldnt doubt for a minute that he'd get more than 5 mill a season from some GM. Much in the way that Bill Guerin probably couldve gotten more than 2 million from elsewhere, and Fedotenko probably couldve gotten more than 1.8 mill. We're seeing a trend with regards to guys doing what they can contract wise to help out the team I honestly would be shocked to see Gonchar be a holdout for a raise.

Old
02-05-2010, 03:06 PM
JTG

Quote:
I don't believe it's out of the realm of possiblity for him to take a 1.5 mill paycut. He's an older player who probably is comfortable where he is. He made his money already and different things could be of more value than trying to scrape together the biggest contract elsewhere. Sometimes piece of mind and security rank higher than money.

While on the open market I wouldnt doubt for a minute that he'd get more than 5 mill a season from some GM. Much in the way that Bill Guerin probably couldve gotten more than 2 million from elsewhere, and Fedotenko probably couldve gotten more than 1.8 mill. We're seeing a trend with regards to guys doing what they can contract wise to help out the team I honestly would be shocked to see Gonchar be a holdout for a raise.
I don't think it's out of the question either. I think he may value keeping roots more than money at this point in his career.

JTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Jag68Sid87

But if he doesn't live in Pittsburgh (we've heard everything from Toronto earlier to Florida recently), what roots are we talking about?

Old
02-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Would Neal/Daley for Staal/Gogo be of any interest to the Pens?

02-05-2010, 03:53 PM
DJ Kariyaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Would Neal/Daley for Staal/Gogo be of any interest to the Pens?
no

but then again, im not mr. shero, so you'd have to ask him.

DJ Kariyaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Kariyaaa View Post
no

but then again, im not mr. shero, so you'd have to ask him.
This.

Old
02-05-2010, 04:10 PM
AEKaki

who else here is annoyed reading about staal proposals...

i am so annoyed

AEKaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:12 PM
DJ Kariyaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEKaki View Post

i am so annoyed
i am as well. the kid is so young and talented, and unless the Crapitals offer Ovechkin, I don't see him going anywhere. Shero knows when to stick to his guns, and this is a kid we need to have for the long run.

DJ Kariyaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEKaki View Post

i am so annoyed
Settle down, I meant no offense by it.

I still think it's fair value, and addresses concerns for both teams. But, much like Benn/Goligoski, it involves two great young players that both respective fanbases do NOT want to give up.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote