HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Halak to the Hawks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-05-2010, 12:33 PM
  #101
HawksTillDeath
Registered User
 
HawksTillDeath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N/A
Posts: 1,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
How about:

To Hawks: Price + Andrei Kostitsyn + Spacek
To Habs: Byfuglien + Barker + 2nd + Niemi
its a toughy... but its close... would rather vesteeg instead of byfug..


plus do you really want Gionta to look smaller than he is

Byfuglien .. 6-4 .. 260 pounds

HawksTillDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 12:34 PM
  #102
pmxc12873
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 75
vCash: 500
Let me ask this one then....(doubting Price gets moved. I do agree with most MTL fans that say you guys should keep both)

Price
Hamrlik/Gil/Spacek/Mara (only one of those)

for

Huet
Barker or Versteeg
Ladd or a prospect (Crawford - G, Skille/Aliu - forwards)

pmxc12873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 12:35 PM
  #103
Halifaxhab*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,219
vCash: 500
If BG wants to dump a Dman, he doesn`t necessarily have to do it in the same deal, there could be an agreement in place and BG makes a second move to free up that roster spot. Teams like Pittsburgh, Phoenix, etc may be looking for depth dmen for a run at the playoffs. So I can see Gill sent to Pittsburgh for a 3rd or 4th and Mara to Phoenix at the same price.

So if Chicago is willing to send us Barker + a pick (say a 2nd) for Halak
or maybe
Barker + 1st rd pick + Aliu + Huet for Halak + D'Agostini
(then we waive Huet )

then move on to a move like Gill to Pittsburgh for a 3rd

then we have the roster space we needed and our prospect pool has just gotten deeper with the addition of Aliu and a 1st and 3rd this year (now we go from 4 picks to having 5 in the top 3 rds)

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 12:42 PM
  #104
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,501
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmxc12873 View Post
Let me ask this one then....(doubting Price gets moved. I do agree with most MTL fans that say you guys should keep both)

Price
Hamrlik/Gil/Spacek/Mara (only one of those)

for

Huet
Barker or Versteeg
Ladd or a prospect (Crawford - G, Skille/Aliu - forwards)
Stop. We're not taking Huet.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 12:44 PM
  #105
Habnot
 
Habnot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Which is another way of saying that he can't trade Halak, then.

Granted, the clock could strike midnight at any time. But Halak is giving us the Theodore Hart run kind of heroics right now. As was already posted, he is keeping the Habs from being a lottery team, the way the team is playing in front of him.

Anyway, a Habs-Hawks deal continues to be rendered difficult by the salary constraints that both teams are under. Habs can't really afford to take on salary for next season. But the Hawks can't take back any salary balancers from us either.

As for Price, I would submit that he has played well enough this year to be considered a #1 goalie by many teams. It's not his fault that Halak has gone to another level. But as Jakomyte says, there is no real reason for the Habs to trade either of them this year.
The only fly in the ointment is that Halak's value might diminish if we wait to after the season. I don't believe that Halak wants to stay long term in Montreal so if we are going to trade him, now is the time.

Gainey has made many decisions based on making the playoffs in previous years (too many to list) and they have all nearly all backfired. Getting swept 4 straight in the first round is not worth not getting maximum value for Halak in a trade.

The Hawks I believe are our premiere trading partner. They have a Stanley Cup aspiring team without goaltending. Halak could be the missing piece of the puzzle and although a free agent next year, restricted and you can still control salary. Yes - I assume a slight overpayment from the Hawks given their potential of winning this year.

My suggestion is:

Halak-D'Agostini

for

Barker - Brouwer

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 12:46 PM
  #106
FanHabtic
Registered User
 
FanHabtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
If BG wants to dump a Dman, he doesn`t necessarily have to do it in the same deal, there could be an agreement in place and BG makes a second move to free up that roster spot. Teams like Pittsburgh, Phoenix, etc may be looking for depth dmen for a run at the playoffs. So I can see Gill sent to Pittsburgh for a 3rd or 4th and Mara to Phoenix at the same price.

So if Chicago is willing to send us Barker + a pick (say a 2nd) for Halak
or maybe
Barker + 1st rd pick + Aliu + Huet for Halak + D'Agostini
(then we waive Huet )

then move on to a move like Gill to Pittsburgh for a 3rd

then we have the roster space we needed and our prospect pool has just gotten deeper with the addition of Aliu and a 1st and 3rd this year (now we go from 4 picks to having 5 in the top 3 rds)
There's something called the tagging rule. Even if we waive Huet and bury him in the minors his salary would count to the cap for tagging purposes in the off-season which would limit who we can sign etc. in the off-season.

Its a terrible idea to take on salary just to bury it. Especially high salary as it still has a crippling effect.

Salary cap 101

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 12:46 PM
  #107
FanHabtic
Registered User
 
FanHabtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksTillDeath View Post
its a toughy... but its close... would rather vesteeg instead of byfug..


plus do you really want Gionta to look smaller than he is

Byfuglien .. 6-4 .. 260 pounds
We we have Hal Gill who is 6'7 250lbs. Gionta doesn't seem to mind when Gill uses his head as an arm-rest.

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 12:49 PM
  #108
RainbowDash
20% Cooler
 
RainbowDash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Equestria
Posts: 2,023
vCash: 500
Here Hawks fan. Let me suggest a better idea.

The Hawks don't have a goalie solution before the deadline. Pretty much everyone who is in the playoff hunt needs their best Goalie. I've read them all. You MIGHT be able to pry Turco from the Stars for at least a rent if they fall completely off the playoff map. If not, wait until Free agency to pick him up. The Hawks are NOT going to get a Top 10 goalie before the trade deadline without overpaying for it, so you guys might as well just stop dreaming about it and fall back down to reality.

Also, your GM made a BIG mistake with Campbell. What the hell was he thinking? Get rid of that contract. If you can't find anyone to take him, you'll just have to bury him in the AHL. Recall him even, take the recall waiver hit. Find a way to drop him. Theres plenty of other FA's coming up that will be much better for the Hawks.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 12:51 PM
  #109
GNick42
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksTillDeath View Post
watching Halak over this last week and a half..

Chicago needs this guy


the olympics will be a good barometer on how he can play on the
"big stage".. comparable to that of the stanley cup playoffs

and anyone that says the hawks dont have goalie problems are abit nieve.. they're problems aren't as bad as some people say..

but im so damn tired of watching other goalies stand on their head and steal games (elliot against ottawa 2 weeks ago, and cam ward last week for example)..

for once can a hawks goalie steal a game... neimi has had a couple (vancouver in that 1-0 game)

but getting Halak would definitely be an upgrade



so whats his value?

although its high and rising fast..
Montreal can't trade Halak now...he has been stealing games for them left right and center.

Give us Barker, Sharp and a 1st for Price?

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 12:53 PM
  #110
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardebut30 View Post
Not that Halak is likely to be traded, especially to the Hawks, but I found this comment curious. How would Halak make both Hawk goalies expendable? Huet sure, he has a contract he's not worth, but Niemi has played great for us and he's not someone the organization will be looking to part with anytime soon.
I meant in the offseason.

Then again, they could re-sign Niemi instead of a signing a vet backup or bringing up Crawford.

Just said that they would acquire a guy that would hog the vast majority of starts.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 12:55 PM
  #111
Halifaxhab*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
There's something called the tagging rule. Even if we waive Huet and bury him in the minors his salary would count to the cap for tagging purposes in the off-season which would limit who we can sign etc. in the off-season.

Its a terrible idea to take on salary just to bury it. Especially high salary as it still has a crippling effect.

Salary cap 101
I do realize this, and you are absolutely correct. I just didn't want to type up a long ass post, but, as he's already cleared waivers, if he chooses to leave NA for a european based team his salary comes off completely. And I can tell you he would not want to play in the AHL

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:09 PM
  #112
HawksTillDeath
Registered User
 
HawksTillDeath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N/A
Posts: 1,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post
Here Hawks fan. Let me suggest a better idea.

The Hawks don't have a goalie solution before the deadline. Pretty much everyone who is in the playoff hunt needs their best Goalie. I've read them all. You MIGHT be able to pry Turco from the Stars for at least a rent if they fall completely off the playoff map. If not, wait until Free agency to pick him up. The Hawks are NOT going to get a Top 10 goalie before the trade deadline without overpaying for it, so you guys might as well just stop dreaming about it and fall back down to reality.

Also, your GM made a BIG mistake with Campbell. What the hell was he thinking? Get rid of that contract. If you can't find anyone to take him, you'll just have to bury him in the AHL. Recall him even, take the recall waiver hit. Find a way to drop him. Theres plenty of other FA's coming up that will be much better for the Hawks.

he definetly didn't make a mistake with Campbell

they weren't think


1) if he added 2 years on that contract at 1 million his cap hit would be about 5 mil or something

2) adding huet, and signing buff to a contract of 3mil when he didnt prove anything yet (even though we got lucky now) and sopel for 2.3 mill for 3 years.. all of those contracts are much worse than what campbell bring to this team

and he brings alot!

HawksTillDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:11 PM
  #113
TheBrokenRib
Registered User
 
TheBrokenRib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,875
vCash: 500
Don't think the Habs want to part ways with Halak. He's stolen almost every game he's played in for them.

Pay up Chicago if you want him that bad.

TheBrokenRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:27 PM
  #114
DougHarvey
Registered User
 
DougHarvey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 679
vCash: 500
What about Brouwer , Lalonde, Danis Papin , 4th

for

Halak and Carle

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:35 PM
  #115
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Something tells me that the Hawks should focus on Price instead of Halak as I have a gut feeling that he'll be the one being traded.

As mentioned earlier, Halak is worth more to the Habs today than what the Hawks would be whiling to give for him.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:20 PM
  #116
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,266
vCash: 500
Would love to have Brouwer but I am sure he is pretty much untouchable.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:23 PM
  #117
pmxc12873
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 75
vCash: 500
I'd be happier if I was CHI and starting the playoffs with Price instead of Huet...not sure how/if that will happen though....

So....GO HUET!

pmxc12873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:25 PM
  #118
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
The only fly in the ointment is that Halak's value might diminish if we wait to after the season. I don't believe that Halak wants to stay long term in Montreal so if we are going to trade him, now is the time.
I don't think any of us should spend time trying to read Halak's mind. He justifiably expressed a desire to play more. Now he is playing more. If he gets #1 status in Montreal based on his having earned it, then I don't see what he'll have to complain about. His postulated potential disgruntlement was predicated on the prediction that Gainey's predilection for Price would continue. If the results on the ice have overcome that, then Halak is as well off staying in Montreal as anywhere else.
Quote:
My suggestion is:

Halak-D'Agostini

for

Barker - Brouwer
I hope I don't sound like too much of a broken record on this, but I think Barker is a poor defenseman and a bad cap investment and that such proposals overrate him dramatically. The above deal reads like Brouwer for Halak to me. We have defensemen in the minors who will be better than Barker. I like Brouwer, but I don't make that deal.

But anyway, I don't see the Blackhawks getting too concerned about their goaltending this season. Who knows, I can't read their minds either. We need Halak down the stretch, and they may need to have a playoff disappointment to drive home the need for improvement. But if you really think they need next-step goaltending to challenge for a championship... well, I don't see how you convince them that Halak is the immediate answer. Huet had some nice save percentages for us too. Halak doesn't have any playoff experience. There are arguments the Hawks would be expected to make for not paying a premium on goaltending in the midst of this season IMHO.

Off-season, different story perhaps. They will even have some surplus salary to move to help grease the wheels of any such overpayment. But then that's where Montreal's cap situation still makes the two teams non-ideal trade partners.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:15 PM
  #119
pmxc12873
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 75
vCash: 500
I'm not the biggest Barker fan..but he just needs a change of scenary. He's only 23yrs old and definately has top 4 potential but just not on Chicago. He had 40pts in 68gms last year...and was in tied for 5th in PP points as a defenceman last year ...all as a 22 year old. He was playing 18min a game last year.

He had a good playoff as well - 17gms - 3g - 6a - 9pts

But this year, he's only playing 13min a game with the emergence of Hjalmarsson....

pmxc12873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:28 PM
  #120
Halifaxhab*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmxc12873 View Post
I'm not the biggest Barker fan..but he just needs a change of scenary. He's only 23yrs old and definately has top 4 potential but just not on Chicago. He had 40pts in 68gms last year...and was in tied for 5th in PP points as a defenceman last year ...all as a 22 year old. He was playing 18min a game last year.

He had a good playoff as well - 17gms - 3g - 6a - 9pts

But this year, he's only playing 13min a game with the emergence of Hjalmarsson....
Oh so true. If Barker were given more ice time, he'd flourish. But Chicago is filled with great young talent so some flounder. This is the year for Chicago to use thier embarassment of riches and make a couple of offseason moves to tweak their team talent and Cap wise. The hawks are set for a long time now.

If Barker were being offered up as trade bait I would definately bite. This kid has talent and size. He's kind of like Phaneuf, only more of a team player and less of a complete a*****e

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:28 PM
  #121
Beukeboom Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post
Here Hawks fan. Let me suggest a better idea.

The Hawks don't have a goalie solution before the deadline. Pretty much everyone who is in the playoff hunt needs their best Goalie. I've read them all. You MIGHT be able to pry Turco from the Stars for at least a rent if they fall completely off the playoff map. If not, wait until Free agency to pick him up. The Hawks are NOT going to get a Top 10 goalie before the trade deadline without overpaying for it, so you guys might as well just stop dreaming about it and fall back down to reality.

Also, your GM made a BIG mistake with Campbell. What the hell was he thinking? Get rid of that contract. If you can't find anyone to take him, you'll just have to bury him in the AHL. Recall him even, take the recall waiver hit. Find a way to drop him. Theres plenty of other FA's coming up that will be much better for the Hawks.
If you actually watch a Hawks game right now - Campbell is playing very well. I'm not saying he's worth his contract - but he is playing well now and an important part of the team. If he were making $5M instead of $7M - no one would *****ing about him. And it would be ludicriously stupid to expose him to recall waivers. Then the Hawks would be stuck with a $3.5M cap hit for the next 6 years, and only free up $3.5M to replace him as a top 4 d-man. You see what $3.5M gets you for d-men lately? Not that much.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:37 PM
  #122
pmxc12873
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 75
vCash: 500
That was a bad FA year.....but Campbell got what the "standards" were ...as being set the year before and that year -
Campbell - 7.1mil
Gomez - 7.3mil
Drury - 7.05
Redden - 6.5mil
Rafalski - 6mil
Jovanoski - 6.5mil

You can prob knock about 2mil off of all those guys for their true "worth"...but Campbell has at least played to his expectations out of that goup (just not up to the contract)

pmxc12873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:48 PM
  #123
DeVries*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In your face
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHarvey View Post
What about Brouwer , Lalonde, Danis Papin , 4th

for

Halak and Carle
Lol, never.

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.