Notices

Shultz

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2004, 11:42 PM
komisakick ass

vCash: 500
Shultz

Hi guys what do you think of Shultz for the future, can he be a 25-30 pts d-men?

Old
12-15-2004, 12:55 AM
Russian_fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by komisakick ass
Hi guys what do you think of Shultz for the future, can he be a 25-30 pts d-men?
For sure...

I see him as a 35 pt defender who has potential to hit 40.

Old
12-15-2004, 02:01 AM
zecke26

this thread makes me wanna cry. schultz is so damn bad at the moment, he's playing like crap. he's not even good enough for the DEL. i had so high hopes on him when he signed here for the duration of the lockout, but now i just wish he'll leave soon.

i guess it's all about his mind. he's not willing to give 100 percent.

Old
12-15-2004, 07:51 AM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26
this thread makes me wanna cry. schultz is so damn bad at the moment, he's playing like crap. he's not even good enough for the DEL. i had so high hopes on him when he signed here for the duration of the lockout, but now i just wish he'll leave soon.

i guess it's all about his mind. he's not willing to give 100 percent.
He needs the right motivation. Last two seasons he's had questionable starts in the NHL, if I recall correctly. Lemaire has said he's hard to figure out; tough to know how to motivate him. If nobody's pushing the right buttons over there I can easily see that he wouldn't be playing at his best. Once he matures and doesn't need that external help I think he'll be very good.

Old
12-15-2004, 08:39 AM
Monkeypox

He has the skills and the ability to be a pretty good d'man. Last season, he really got better at picking his spots to pinch in or go with the offense, although it often resulted in missing some wide open nets. Considering his age, there is still a lot of upside to his game. 30 points would be outstanding from him.

Old
12-15-2004, 01:37 PM
Jbcraig1883

Like Ceber said, Schultz has a history of playing lazy, and only by being benched by Lemaire, has he come back to play strong. I think that once he matures, he will be a 25 pt player with a decent +/-, while seeing time on the 2nd PP.

Old
12-16-2004, 05:33 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
He needs the right motivation. Last two seasons he's had questionable starts in the NHL, if I recall correctly. Lemaire has said he's hard to figure out; tough to know how to motivate him. If nobody's pushing the right buttons over there I can easily see that he wouldn't be playing at his best. Once he matures and doesn't need that external help I think he'll be very good.
kassel should try to get lemaire as long as schultz is here.

schultz is actually trying to play more offensive which leads to heavy mistakes in his own end. impossible to count all his mistakes or bad positioning that lead to breakaways.

is it possible that he plays very soft without much checking and dirty work? i haven't seen a single bodycheck from him and i wonder if this is his style.

Old
12-16-2004, 06:03 PM
Wild Thing

Quote:
kassel should try to get lemaire as long as schultz is here.

schultz is actually trying to play more offensive which leads to heavy mistakes in his own end. impossible to count all his mistakes or bad positioning that lead to breakaways.

is it possible that he plays very soft without much checking and dirty work? i haven't seen a single bodycheck from him and i wonder if this is his style.
He does play a little soft, or maybe I should say he plays small. He's not Scotty Stevens, that's for sure. He doesn't hurl himself at people; he plays a smarter, more positional game. Or at least he tries to. Sometimes I watch him and wonder just exactly how he defines "smart", because it doesn't seem to have much to do with my idea of what the word means.

Old
12-16-2004, 06:06 PM
Wild Bill

Quote:

Well, I wouldn't call it his style. I also wouldn't call him an overly aggressive player either. It is hard to say. I think he played his best in the playoffs a couple years back, when he was doing all the little things...being a pest, if you will. When he has played like you are describing, he has been benched and openly criticized by Lemaire. This type of motivation has worked ok for him in the past IMO. He also hasn't been asked to shoulder much of an offensive load like he may be right now. I think eventually he'll realize that he can't do it all by himself.

Old
12-16-2004, 06:24 PM
zecke26

thanks wild thing and velvet e. sax for your quick answers.

i agree that he was asked to do too much work. he played on the first PP unit as well as on the first PK unit and got a lot of icetime on even strength. it's because he's the star on our defense and maybe the old coach didn't realize that he's still a young defender who has a lot to learn. kassel has a new coach because the team did play like ****. under the new coach i was only able to watch 1 of 3 games but in that game nick looked much better.
he's not here to play tough, we have dean melanson and kirk furey who could do so. and christian laflamme is better offensively so nick should try to play a solid 2way game which he is able to do.
he wasn't the only player who disappointed the fans and hasn't matched the expectations. it's just that he was out of position too often and he had the most individual mistakes. and sometimes he looked like he's just here to play a bit and don't want to risk an injury. and if you're not giving 100%, you're not able to play like expected.
i will see him tomorrow against wolfsburg and i will try to watch him closely. if you want, i can tell you more about his play here after the game.

Old
12-17-2004, 06:35 AM
ceber

Quote:
...and sometimes he looked like he's just here to play a bit and don't want to risk an injury.
I could see that. From the sounds of it a lot of the NHLers over in Europe are treating it more like a way to just stay in shape and have a little fun than like a job. Unfair of me to say, because I don't know what they're thinking... but some of the articles about players over there make it sound that way sometime.

Quote:
i will see him tomorrow against wolfsburg and i will try to watch him closely. if you want, i can tell you more about his play here after the game.
Please do!

Old
12-17-2004, 07:35 AM
komisakick ass

Thanx guys

Old
12-17-2004, 10:15 AM
MePutPuckInNet

...in my opinion - he's another guy that would benefit from a change of position. He's got a goal scorer's mindset. He should be a forward. I don't think he'd be a 75 point a year guy then, either. But, with a little shot work, I think he could be a 15-20 goals per season guy and maybe as many assists.

Go ahead and mock me. But JL is watching.

Old
12-17-2004, 03:57 PM
zecke26

kassel won 4-2 today. schultz played...oh well...he played like he's a solid ECHLer. he wouldn't crack the aeros lineup with the passes he plays. but he had his ups and downs. there were are few situations were he was able to keep the puck in the opponent's zone and so kassel could change 4 players. that was extremely good. but his passes...arg...almost 10 meters away from the teammate and very often directly to an opponent. it really looks like he's just here to train a bit. i just hope the lockout ends soon and he will play his best hockey for your wild. i somehow still like him.

btw: the biggest german hockey newspaper called him "the holiday-NHLer." that says a lot.

Old
12-19-2004, 02:56 PM
theCRAZYman

I definitely see Schultz being a top pairing defenceman... possibly with Burns. I think you guys have a solid nucleus of young talent in your system.

Gaborik, O'Sullivan, Koivu, Wallin, Bouchard, Burns, Schultz, Harding... nice.

Old
12-23-2004, 05:19 PM
zecke26

it's me again.

today schultz scored a nice goal. his shift-mates made some beautiful passes to confuse iserlohn's defense and schultz fired a shot between post and goalie.
he had a horrible mistake later, but i'm just glad he scored a goal. his team won the third straight game and is really hot. it's still unlikely, but maybe the play-offs are possible if the team can play like today.
and with possibly no NHL-season, maybe schultz is getting a bit more motivated to play the best he can.

Old
01-05-2005, 08:10 AM
zecke26

schultz is out for 4 weeks with a broken finger or something like that. it happened during practise. i hope he'll return soon as his last games were a lot better and he showed some promise.

Old
01-17-2005, 06:56 AM
Jamie

hmmm, I'm an Oiler fan, and was just 'trolling' through the other Pacific Divisions teams boards and this Schultz talk kind of caught me off guard. I've admittantly not seen him as much as Minny fans, but everytime I've seen him play, I've thought of him as a small, but tough defensive dman. A guy that plays positionally well, thinks the game well, and does the simple things. I'm a big fan of his, not knocking him at all, but 40 points? Really? I considered him to be a guy that'll consistantly be in the 20-25 point range, be a high end 2nd pairing guy(top pairing on a short defense), and end up with a nice +/- rating. I'm guessing I've just caught him on his off days(or are those his good days?)?

Like I said, not trying to bash him, just don't think he has that much offense personally, and look forward to hearing some more feed back on the kid. (I also just noticed he +5 in his 18 playoff games, very impressive)

EDIT: A good comparable IMO is Oiler dman Steve Staios. Very comparable IMO from what I've seen(and that's the Staios that has played for the Oil. He's said before that Keenan's experiment with him as a forward really hurt his devolpment and has only come around to where he wants to be since joining the Oilers)

Old
01-17-2005, 09:56 AM
Monkeypox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
hmmm, I'm an Oiler fan, and was just 'trolling' through the other Pacific Divisions teams boards and this Schultz talk kind of caught me off guard. I've admittantly not seen him as much as Minny fans, but everytime I've seen him play, I've thought of him as a small, but tough defensive dman. A guy that plays positionally well, thinks the game well, and does the simple things. I'm a big fan of his, not knocking him at all, but 40 points? Really? I considered him to be a guy that'll consistantly be in the 20-25 point range, be a high end 2nd pairing guy(top pairing on a short defense), and end up with a nice +/- rating. I'm guessing I've just caught him on his off days(or are those his good days?)?
I think your read on Schultz is right on.

Closed Thread