HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Blocking Shots: OK Tactic, Bad Strategy

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-05-2010, 05:40 PM
  #1
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,094
vCash: 500
Blocking Shots: OK Tactic, Bad Strategy

I'm really tired of the "block-a-shot" strategy the Rangers deploy in just about every defensive situation.

I understand the tactic can be useful at times, and that it's somewhat easier to do in the modern era because of the development of new materials used in pads and equipment.

But I think falling back on this as a defensive strategy is creating bad habits and facilitating "lazy" hockey where we become flat-footed in our own zone, and fail to take the physical initiative to neutralize opposing forwards and gain control of the puck in a way that allows us to break out, instead of just clear the zone.

I don't know if other teams do this as often as we do, but I know I have seen enough of this to know I don't like it. To block a shot from time to time opportunistically is one thing, but this constant collapsing back is a big fail.

It screens our goal-tender, and creates as many weird deflections as it does blocked shots.

Can we please shelve this idea and take the body? We don't need all these guys playing goalie. We just need to knock some forwards on their a$$ and let Henrik take care of making saves.

It's dumb. I don't like it.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 05:45 PM
  #2
Zuccarello Awesome*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,264
vCash: 500
I support this post.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 05:55 PM
  #3
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
So, we're going to abandon blocking shots because ONE goal goes in off Girardi? It's rarely happened this year, and if there's one thing I think that Tortarella impliments that actually plays to this teams strengths(of the few strengths they may actually have), it's allowing guys to give up their body and get in the shooting lanes regularly. It's been fairly rare that we have any OWN goals because of this this year.

I haven't seen many players look "lazy" because they just figure they can block the shot when it comes to them. Your post gives me the impression you've never seen what happens on the PK when a guy over pursues the puck. Players may look flatfooted but it's so they don't lose positioning, not because they're "lazy."

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 05:56 PM
  #4
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,845
vCash: 50
I respectfully disagree. You make some good points but I think that when the playoffs roll around, just about every teams employs the shot blocking strategy as much as is possible. It is proven a way to reduce chances.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 05:57 PM
  #5
RegalRangers
Registered User
 
RegalRangers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 1,447
vCash: 500
I understand what you're saying but this is not the team to block fewer shots. I do not want Henrik seeing MORE shots per game. When a shot is blocked it does lead to a moment of unpredictability which can lead to goals against, but are you really going to just let Ovi shoot at will?

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 05:59 PM
  #6
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,070
vCash: 500
Too much chasing in the defensive zone leads to opportunities for the other team in the slot. By staying towards the net they can't get to high percentage areas.

It's just a difference in philosophy, either one can theoretically work. The coaching staff must think we're more suited for this style, I'll defer to them for now.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 06:00 PM
  #7
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
It's rarely happened this year, and if there's one thing I think that Tortarella impliments that actually plays to this teams strengths(of the few strengths they may actually have), it's allowing guys to give up their body and get in the shooting lanes regularly. It's been fairly rare that we have any OWN goals because of this this year.

I haven't seen many players look "lazy" because they just figure they can block the shot when it comes to them. Your post gives me the impression you've never seen what happens on the PK when a guy over pursues the puck. Players may look flatfooted but it's so they don't lose positioning, not because they're "lazy."
Well I disagree with the rare part, and I think Henrik would as well.

And I'm not even talking about the Penalty Kill really, we seem to do this all the time, especially late in the game, when opponents are coming on. Is it because they're tired? Isuspect that has something to do with it. Stop, catch your breath, and just try to block a shot. pfft! Crap hockey if you ask me.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 06:05 PM
  #8
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Well I disagree with the rare part, and I think Henrik would as well.

And I'm not even talking about the Penalty Kill really, we seem to do this all the time, especially late in the game, when opponents are coming on. Is it because they're tired? Isuspect that has something to do with it. Stop, catch your breath, and just try to block a shot. pfft! Crap hockey if you ask me.
It's happened no more than it does on any other team.

The incident I'm sure this thread's stemming from is when Girardi had a shot go off him and in, and that was on the PK.

If it happens as often as you say it does, maybe you could go ahead and name each goal for me.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 06:06 PM
  #9
dtrap
Registered User
 
dtrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,720
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
I'm really tired of the "block-a-shot" strategy the Rangers deploy in just about every defensive situation.

I understand the tactic can be useful at times, and that it's somewhat easier to do in the modern era because of the development of new materials used in pads and equipment.

But I think falling back on this as a defensive strategy is creating bad habits and facilitating "lazy" hockey where we become flat-footed in our own zone, and fail to take the physical initiative to neutralize opposing forwards and gain control of the puck in a way that allows us to break out, instead of just clear the zone.

I don't know if other teams do this as often as we do, but I know I have seen enough of this to know I don't like it. To block a shot from time to time opportunistically is one thing, but this constant collapsing back is a big fail.

It screens our goal-tender, and creates as many weird deflections as it does blocked shots.

Can we please shelve this idea and take the body? We don't need all these guys playing goalie. We just need to knock some forwards on their a$$ and let Henrik take care of making saves.

It's dumb. I don't like it.

This post confuses me. From this I gather you want them to do one of two things:

1) Chase the puck carrier all around and try to hit them. In effect easily getting taken out of position.
2) Play zone-d like they are now...but get out of the way of shots and let Hank stop them?

Please correct me if I am wrong...in all seriousness. Cause that is what I am taking away from this.

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 06:07 PM
  #10
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,094
vCash: 500
I don't mean to say we should run around chasing the puck. A good defenseman should focus on removing the man from the puck, or a well-timed hit as the puck arrives to an opponent from a pass or rebound.

Take the man. Stopping giving up the high ground.

We scramble in front of the net after a blocked shot trying to clear the puck instead of knocking bodies to the ice.

It's not working

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 06:08 PM
  #11
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,598
vCash: 500
Blocking shots is not "lazy" hockey.

It's a tactic primarily used on the PK where the players are forced to collapse because they lack the manpower to force the puck up ice. It's certainly not a "go-to" strategy used at even strength.

Failing to stand up the opposition at the blueline has nothing to do with the fact that our players are employing a strategy where they want to block shots, it's just that our defense is not very good. The players on this team are small and not physical, and tend to get outmuscled easily.

The one complaint I have with blocking shots is that if you are going to block a shot, make sure you get all of it and not a piece of it. Those are the types of things that lead to deflections and flukey goals.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 06:10 PM
  #12
dtrap
Registered User
 
dtrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,720
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
I don't mean to say we should run around chasing the puck. A good defenseman should focus on removing the man from the puck, or a well-timed hit as the puck arrives to an opponent from a pass or rebound.

Take the man. Stopping giving up the high ground.

We scramble in front of the net after a blocked shot trying to clear the puck instead of knocking bodies to the ice.

It's not working
Ok...gotcha. I semi agree. But I don't think shot block is lazy at all. In fact I think it takes more guts to block a slapper than it does to check someone.

I agree we need to take the man more...but there are certain areas on the ice (like slapshots from the point) where blocking shots is necessary.

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 06:45 PM
  #13
Zuccarello Awesome*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,264
vCash: 500
He's basically pointing out one of the minor problems that comes with the lack of any real identity and a lack of unity on this team. I'm not talking about being tight with each other off the ice:

Nobody on this team has trust in anyone else on the team.

Puck goes into the corner, 2 rangers go for it, neither come up with it. Now someone's wide open for a shot from the slot on Lundqvist.

Rangers block a shot and it goes to the boards. One ranger is going for it and gets there, gets the puck, but all 4 of his teammates are still in the zone almost standing still because they don't trust that he's going to a) get to the puck and b) be able to move it. Then the player who just got to the puck has nobody to pass it to and if he does pass it, we're still standing still in our own zone.

If the players had any trust or faith in eachother (usually comes with confidence and winning of course) someone would start breaking up ice when they see that we're going to get to the puck first. The only player who does this consistently is Gaborik.

The puck gets kept in at the point and gets shot behind our net to ONE opposing player, yet TWO rangers go for him leaving a guy wide open in front. There's a lack of a communication and trust. Too many times we actually do recover the puck in our own zone, but everyone's standing around looking at the puck carrier like they're so worried he's going to cough it up and they don't want to skate too far away.

The same mental flaws are seen in the offensive zone. Two players forecheck the same guy, but they're both LATE because there's hesitation as to who is going to do what. We have plenty of good forecheckers on this team but it means nothing when the linemates are completely out of sync with each other. I see little to no anticipation by the other 2 forwards when the first man in does get there quickly.

There's too much "BUNCHING UP" in the defensive zone. Nobody trusts anyone to do their own job so they start overcompensating / trying to do someone else's job / covering up for them before they're even beat. This leads to more offensive zone time for the other team and almost always leads to us running around in our own zone or committing a penalty.

The OP is seeing the same thing with our passive D-zone coverage. How often does it look like the other team has a powerplay when they don't because everyone's so afraid to make a mistake and doesn't trust that a teammate will win a board battle and be able to start the transition up ice? Someone misses an opportunity to clear it because nobody gives them an option to pass while they're MOVING. Then we all back in and it looks like a penalty kill.

Add to this that I see absolutely no signs of a set breakout other than Del Zotto making a brilliant pass up the ice. Why don't they work on this in practice? What DO they work on in practice? I've said it many times. This team looks SO undercoached. Not only is there no "systematic game plan" but there's no chemistry because the lines never stay together even when they're producing! This part falls on Torts. The other part falls on the players for not understanding that it's a team game. Too many are trying to do too much on their own and are trying to do other players' jobs.

If your teammate looks like he's getting to the puck first, MOVE YOUR FEET, GET OPEN, MOVE UP THE ICE, GIVE HIM AN OPTION. We often have "puck support" but we're stationary and all too close together. It makes it SO easy for the other team to stop is in the neutral zone when we have no speed and don't move as a team.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 06:52 PM
  #14
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,094
vCash: 500
Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris: "How often does it look like the other team has a powerplay when they don't because everyone's so afraid to make a mistake and doesn't trust that a teammate will win a board battle and be able to start the transition up ice?"

Yes. Thank you.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 06:54 PM
  #15
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,786
vCash: 500
you show me a team that doesnt block shots..and ill show you a team actually worse than ours.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 06:56 PM
  #16
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,094
vCash: 500
not about not blocking shots at all

about using it as a crutch strategy

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 07:00 PM
  #17
coolbean04
Registered User
 
coolbean04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,733
vCash: 500
Yea lets change our strategy on the one thing we're good at. That's brilliant!!!!

We're 5th this year in PK
1st in 08-09

How about we not waste time on PK and keep trying to improve the PP.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 07:29 PM
  #18
Rangerfans
Registered User
 
Rangerfans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,097
vCash: 500


Block shots are pivotal. The problem against Washington was our weak, pathetic defense and their inability to muscle players away.

Washington constantly had 2 players (at times 3) in front of our net.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 05:27 AM
  #19
shon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post


Block shots are pivotal. The problem against Washington was our weak, pathetic defense and their inability to muscle players away.

Washington constantly had 2 players (at times 3) in front of our net.
just a comment. When Girardi took AO out in front of the net and knocked him on his A** everyone was all over him for taking a penalty.
Blocking shots is one of the most selfless things in hockey.
These shots are coming at the players with no goalie pads on.
You seem to think some of our players aren't tough , have no guts etc.
You stand in front of AO's shot.

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 05:55 AM
  #20
Rangerfans
Registered User
 
Rangerfans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shon View Post
just a comment. When Girardi took AO out in front of the net and knocked him on his A** everyone was all over him for taking a penalty.
Blocking shots is one of the most selfless things in hockey.
These shots are coming at the players with no goalie pads on.
You seem to think some of our players aren't tough , have no guts etc.
You stand in front of AO's shot.
I just think he doesn't have heart all the time.

No, thank you. I'd rather not stand in front of AO's shot. It's the same reason why I never say anything about Chris Drury. Sorry for picking out Danny G. I guess I am still bitter about the whole Gab fighting thing.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 08:12 AM
  #21
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,094
vCash: 500
We do it too much. It's a suck strategy and it's one of the reasons WE suck.

Hockey is about skating and movement. Any moron with good pads can block a shot. I don't care how brave someone is. Play the damn game.

Anybody watch the Devil/Leafs game last night? Ever watch the Red Wings the past 10 years.

I'm not saying you shouldn't block a shot if the opportunity presents itself and its the right move at the time, but we shouldn't rely on it so much at even strength.

It's suck hockey. It blows, and we suck for doing it so much. Standing around like a bunch of cones. bah!

Watch us get massacred tonight and then tell me how often the Devils block shots the way we do.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 08:18 AM
  #22
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,422
vCash: 500
every single team in the league blocks shots. It's basically the #1 priority in the defensive zone. Clog shooting and passing lanes. Deflect or block shots. The Rangers are doing NOTHING that everyone else isn't doing

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:31 AM
  #23
SomebodySaveKreider
Registered User
 
SomebodySaveKreider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,512
vCash: 500
Opening night, didn't Pittsburgh block like, 20 something shots? It was some crazy stat.

Every team blocks shots.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:48 PM
  #24
Ice Hockey
Registered User
 
Ice Hockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 759
vCash: 500
I agree with the OP. Collapsing back as the main strategy (except when you're in a 3 on 5 situation) is not a good one. This means long shifts which means not clearing the puck which means goals. I'd like to see more pressure on PKs.

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 01:29 PM
  #25
allstar3970
Registered User
 
allstar3970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Hockey View Post
I agree with the OP. Collapsing back as the main strategy (except when you're in a 3 on 5 situation) is not a good one. This means long shifts which means not clearing the puck which means goals. I'd like to see more pressure on PKs.
we have one of the best pk's in the league, one bad pk game against a team scoring at 40% higher than league average and now we need to tinker with it.

we're not losing bc we're trying to block too many shots. this is just another "THIS is the reason we're bad!!!!!" theory, get in line behind the "we're soft! look at this YouTube video of other teams being tough!", "we need LEADERSHIP!" and "torts' system is crap!!" threads.

we're losing bc this team as assembled is not good enough to be a contender. some pieces are there, but bad contracts are holding back filling the rest.

Do you think this team is good enough to play 'attacking' D against washington? they would've won 12-5 instead of 6-5


Last edited by allstar3970: 02-06-2010 at 01:39 PM.
allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.