HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Robin Lehner - The next Lundqvist?

Old
02-05-2010, 02:00 PM
OgieO

vCash: 500
It sure would be nice if he was.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:08 PM
jordan7hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
Emery was not a number 1 with the Sens. We had nothing else to offer.
He took the job from our supposed #1 and went on to post a 33-16-6 record with a .918 SV% and a 2.47 GAA in the year we went to the SCF. His performance was a key factor in turning this club around and led us to the best season in franchise history.

He has had one season of sub .900 SV% in the NHL and in fact that's his only sub .900 save % in his entire career going back to the OHL. Injury, controversy and attitude sabotaged that season - he has noone to blame for it but himself, but most players and goalies have low spots in their careers.

His worst playoff SV% was with the Sens as a rookie (.900), and then with the Sens as a sophomore he posted .907 (while not incredible, still shows improvement). In the AHL/OHL he posted between .912 and .925 in the playoffs for 4 year span.

He spent a year in hockey purgatory because of his attitude, but after demonstrating that he could still play, he was immediately signed as the #1 goalie of a contender and outside of a very poor 6 game stretch bookending an injury he has been solid for that team. His numbers are not elite by any stretch, but they're firmly within #1 goalie territory.

You have unrealistic expectations if you think Emery isn't a #1.

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:15 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Its amazing how many people want to disregard everything Emery achieved with the Senators just because they don't like the guy. He was solid for the organization and was the best goalie the team ever developed.

I guess Ottawa is pretty set in goal now, with the next Belfour in Elliott and the next Lundqvist in Lehner. They'll probably be battling each other for the Vezina on a yearly basis.

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:17 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJong View Post
The fact that he has pretty solid numbers on a garbage Soo team speaks volumes for this guy...

I wonder if he'll be staying in the OHL next year or whether Murray wants him in the AHL...
You can't put him in the AHL untill he turns 20. So its either OHL or NHL next year for him (so, OHL obviously).

Karlsson could go to the AHL because he was never in the CHL.

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Jared Cowen - The next Bure?

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:30 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Its amazing how many people want to disregard everything Emery achieved with the Senators just because they don't like the guy. He was solid for the organization and was the best goalie the team ever developed.

I guess Ottawa is pretty set in goal now, with the next Belfour in Elliott and the next Lundqvist in Lehner. They'll probably be battling each other for the Vezina on a yearly basis.

Seriously. Saying Emery wasn't a number 1 is funny as hell.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:30 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftwin View Post
You can't put him in the AHL untill he turns 20. So its either OHL or NHL next year for him (so, OHL obviously).

Karlsson could go to the AHL because he was never in the CHL.
He actually can play in the AHL next year because he was drafted out of Sweden and not the CHL.

Old
02-05-2010, 02:31 PM
source

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
Jared Cowen - The next Bure?
More like the next Rico Fata.... minus the speed.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 03:12 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

i'm sorry, i'm excited about lehner and all, but as an organization we have been through this so many times before its just disheartening. Prusek, Glass, Emery, etc. Lehner may turn out for the best, but he also may not, which is why i still subscribe to the theory that we need to draft one goalie every year. Goalies are a crapshoot, and they can mature into stars out of nowhere or turn into busts suddenly. Any organization needs to have a steady pipeline of goaltenders in order to hit that one 'jackpot'.

02-05-2010, 03:15 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
i'm sorry, i'm excited about lehner and all, but as an organization we have been through this so many times before its just disheartening. Prusek, Glass, Emery, etc. Lehner may turn out for the best, but he also may not, which is why i still subscribe to the theory that we need to draft one goalie every year. Goalies are a crapshoot, and they can mature into stars out of nowhere or turn into busts suddenly. Any organization needs to have a steady pipeline of goaltenders in order to hit that one 'jackpot'.
Couldn't agree more. Remember that Mathew Chouinard guy the Sens drafted in the first round. Then drafted again a few years later. The guy who never made the NHL?

Sigh.

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 03:49 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
You forgot Kelly Guard, he won a Memorial Cup, remember.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Rooverick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post
Emery is a legit #1 who took the team to the SCF.

Elliott is looking ok, though it's still very early.
Emery was the #1, but the team took him to the final, not the other way around.

Rooverick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:27 PM
jordan7hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooverick View Post
Emery was the #1, but the team took him to the final, not the other way around.
Doesn't work like that. I don't think Emery carried them there Patrick Roy style, but the team changed playing in front of him. He was a crucial part to the cup run, as important as any other player on the team, more important than most.

In the first two games against Anaheim he also stood on his head. The forwards couldn't score to help him out, and that was the series.

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:35 PM
Spence334

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
You forgot Kelly Guard, he won a Memorial Cup, remember.
What about the Glass guy

Spence334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:38 PM
The Fuhr

It`s the CHL, Jeff Glass and Justin Pogge were both named goalies of the year there.

The Fuhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:42 PM
MatthewT

Quote:
bingo, 100% agree. if you pick a goalie every year your are bound to get a high calibre goalie eventually. He doesn't have to be a first round pick, but I would be taking a goalie each year from round 2-4

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
bingo, 100% agree. if you pick a goalie every year your are bound to get a high calibre goalie eventually. He doesn't have to be a first round pick, but I would be taking a goalie each year from round 2-4
Could you argue this would make you highly susceptable to continuously ridding of goalie prospects year after year as new ones come in, and then possibly watching one or a couple flourish elsewhere? Some goalies develop slowly, if were constantly drafting new ones we could risk giving up too early, consistently.

Not arguing just asking the question. Just throwing out an opposing view point as food for thought, I dont necesarily disagree with drafting a goalie annually.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 05:03 PM
The Fuhr

Goalies develop later, we can just pull a guy from Europe and strike lightning...

Backstrom, Hiller, Niemi, Gustavsson, Salak all Euro UFA when they came over

The Fuhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 05:08 PM
H2O

Arguably our best rookie at camp this season. Nice to see he continued his strong play in the O. I have high hopes.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 05:08 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Could you argue this would make you highly susceptable to continuously ridding of goalie prospects year after year as new ones come in, and then possibly watching one or a couple flourish elsewhere? Some goalies develop slowly, if were constantly drafting new ones we could risk giving up too early, consistently.

Not arguing just asking the question. Just throwing out an opposing view point as food for thought, I dont necesarily disagree with drafting a goalie annually.
You make a good point. Its similar to defensemen as well, since the majority of defensemen and goalies come from North America. An organization can only develop so many guys at one position at a time. AHL teams fill up quickly and NHL teams can't have too many youngsters at either position and be competitive. Forwards are slightly different because many can be developed in the KHL or SEL for a few years before coming to NA and having many young forwards on an NHL or AHL roster is much more common. The NCAA is becoming a valuable resource to many NHL teams because of this, where long term project prospects can take time to develop.

I don't think you need to draft a goalie every year but you certainly shouldn't go multiple years (like the Sens did) without drafting one or two.

Danishh is right though, goaltenders are a major crapshoot. You never know what you might end up with. There's too many mental variables that can't really be measured that factor into whether a goalie will be successful in the professional ranks. I'm certainly not about to anoint Lehner as the next great goalie.

Old
02-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
I wouldn't say it has to be that early. Why? From the 2003 draft, there are 4 NHL goalies. 2 of them were drafted in the 9th round, and one was drafted first overall. Unless you're drafting really high (and even then not even), it's incredibly hard to judge an 18 year old goalie.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 07:06 PM
Caeldan

vCash: 732
i also subscribe to the theory that goalies, like quarterbacks in football, should be drafted at least once a yea. There's plenty of places to let goalies develop - remember you dont have to sign ncaa players until they graduate and that elcs dont kick in until they spend time in the bigs - so some euro goalies can stay overseas for ayear or so more... Plus ther is both elmira and bingo to stock.
easily room to keep the rights to between 7-10 goalies in the system if need be
Posted via Mobile Device

Caeldan is offline   Reply With Quote