HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010-2011 Season Opening Roster

Old
02-05-2010, 07:25 PM
MasterShake

vCash: 500
2010-2011 Season Opening Roster

From reading prior threads, I think that the majority of posters here think that, out of the Sharks' expiring priority contracts (Nabby, Seto, Pavs, Marleau), Nabokov may be the player easiest to part with.

Condition: Ignore all possibilities of roster change that depend on players currently outside the Sharks system (in other words, nobody will trade with the Sharks, and nobody from the outside will sign, sort of a worst case scenario kind of deal).

Could the Sharks go with Greiss and bring up another goalie to split games with him? I don't know which of the goalies in the Sharks system is ready to come up and play 20-30 games alongside Greiss with 50-60 games.

I'm just going to go with Stalock (playing the most games for Worchester)

Remaining contracts:
Forwards - 8
Heatley 7.5
Thornton 7.2
Clowe 3.625
McGinn 0.997
Mitchell 1.367
Couture 1.242
Ferriero 0.635
McLaren 0.544
Defensemen - 5
Boyle 6.667
Murray 2.5
Vlasic 3.1
Demers 0.544
Joslin 0.550
Goalies - 2
Greiss 0.550
Stalock 0.850
Total Salary - $37.871 million ($18.929 million under the current cap)

Players I think we should re-sign (don't kill me for overestimating please):
Forwards - Need 5
Nichol 1.5
Setoguchi 4
Pavelski 4
Marleau 7
Staubitz 0.5
Updated cap space: $1.929 million (under current cap)

If my math is correct, Wilson will have roughly 2 million (depending on his bargaining skills and the salary cap number next year) to sign 2 defensemen.

Who are these two defensemen at $2 million, collectively?
My first suggestion (the cap-conservative one) is to bring in Joe Callahan as a seventh defenseman and work out a deal with Jay Leach, for I think he could fill the 6th d-man spot.

And yes something is missing... unless he proves he's worth his $1.7 million dollar cap hit.

So take this scenario, and if you wish, use realistic trades/free agent signings to improve the team. Feel free to criticize my roster decisions/contract extensions/math. My first thread!...

Last edited by LadyStanley: 02-05-2010 at 07:29 PM. Reason: correct year in title
MasterShake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

Seto is the easiest to part with right now.

Chairman Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 07:35 PM
MasterShake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mallard View Post
Seto is the easiest to part with right now.
Hmm, Nabokov's performance has been far better, but I think Setoguchi will continue to improve, will be easier to sign, and is more important to the future of the team (2-4 seasons from now, I would say).

MasterShake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 07:45 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
It would help to know what the cap is next year but if you go by this year Patty, Nabby would have to take a pay cut or say good by to a couple of guys.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
From reading prior threads, I think that the majority of posters here think that, out of the Sharks' expiring priority contracts (Nabby, Seto, Pavs, Marleau), Nabokov may be the player easiest to part with.
I don't know if "easiest" is the right word. I think the collective argument I've heard is the difference in Nabby's asking price and what the Sharks can afford.

If Nabby's fine w/ a $3m per or less deal for 2-3 years, sign him and trade Clowe for a top 4 dman.

Quote:
Condition: Ignore all possibilities of roster change that depend on players currently outside the Sharks system (in other words, nobody will trade with the Sharks, and nobody from the outside will sign, sort of a worst case scenario kind of deal).
Kind of unrealistic to not speculative additions from outside the org. I'd be shocked if the Sharks didn't sign a UFA or make a trade...

Quote:
Players I think we should re-sign (don't kill me for overestimating please):
Forwards - Need 5
Nichol 1.5 (my guess $900K-1m)
Setoguchi 4 (my guess $2.5-2.75 for 1 yr to "prove himself")
Pavelski 4 (my guess $3.5 per)
Marleau 7 (my guess $5 for 7 yrs)
Staubitz 0.5 (my guess, let him go or fine, league minimum/ Don't care much for him)
Updated cap space: $1.929 million (under current cap)
so my changes will result in ~$6.5m ... a MUCH different scenario to fill those 2 d spots.

Quote:
If my math is correct, Wilson will have roughly 2 million (depending on his bargaining skills and the salary cap number next year) to sign 2 defensemen.

Gilligans Island is online now   Reply With Quote