HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer league mistakes and tips

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-05-2010, 01:12 PM
  #51
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,606
vCash: 500
Mr. Cole, if my team did those things you said, we would win every game. Great post.

Jarick is offline  
Old
02-05-2010, 01:29 PM
  #52
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Tips for Beer leaguers....
  1. Dont' play linear hockey!
  2. The player without the puck in a weave goes behind!
  3. Always exit your defensive zone on the weak side!
  4. Always enter the attacking zone on your off wing!
  5. Set up behind the net!
  6. Trail the puck carrier into the attacking zone!
  7. Only change when the puck is in the attacking zone!
  8. On a delayed penalty, don't advance the puck, send it back to the defense, get the goalie off, then attack!
  9. Anyone can score goals, learn to be a playmaker!

Hope this helps
Head coach
What is "linear hockey"?

All the other bolded ones are things I do that my teammates yell at me for doing The only thing more frustrating than playing w/ people who don't think the game well... is playing with people who don't think the game well but still feel that they need to teach you how to play hockey

Everything Headcoach mentioned is sound advice... but what do you do when your teammates aren't good enough to buy into the system?


...and please don't reply with "play defense"!

noobman is offline  
Old
02-05-2010, 05:57 PM
  #53
Steelhead16
Registered User
 
Steelhead16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boise, ID
Country: United States
Posts: 1,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
I disagree 100%. Here is why.

Most beer leaguers are not in 100% cardio shape. Dumping the puck is a way to chase after a free puck that you probably will not get, then the rest of your shift you will be useless. In my mind, at this level, it is all about puck possession. If you have the puck, do not give it up. Dumping=turnover when you have no legs.

-On a transition zone rush, the guy with the puck crosses the blue THEN makes his play/pass. Avoids offsides from bad communication with guys you may have never played with before.

-Defensemen, STOP wrapping the puck blindly around the boards in the defensive end. This is the weakest of all breakouts. Lift your head and look. There are better outlet passes.

-Forwards, give the defensemen passing options. Do not stay behind a checker, move to free ice.

-Play hard, be involved, always be in a position to receive the puck or fight for it when it is near.

-when the whistle blows, the play and the emotions are dead. No cheapshotting. Play hard when the puck is in play, not after the whistle.

-play with guys you like. Have fun. Enjoy the brotherhood.
One more thing I should have added that happens in 99% of beer league games. Skate hard and get off the ice. Shifts shouldn't be 2 mins long. The bold above is a product of that. Players aren't in shape because they skate at 50% so they can stay out longer. You will never get in shape skating 50%. The reason I say dump the puck in is because most C/D level teams can't complete more than 1 or 2 passes in a row. It was directed more toward them. If you are so out of shape that you can't or don't want to skate hard from the red line to the goal line, then get off the ice. If you push yourself on the ice magically you will get in better shape. Most lower level players can't skate full speed while carrying the puck. I promise you that if you dump the puck in and skate as hard as you can you will get it 80% of the time. Because you will be skating past someone who is skating 50% so they can stay out longer.

The rest of Joe Cole's points are great at all levels.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Mr. Cole, if my team did those things you said, we would win every game. Great post.

Jarick makes a good point with one word.....IF. He says if all teams could do all that they would win. That is true, but the truth is they can't. If you do nothing but skate as hard as you can your game will improve greatly. Lead by example and the rest of your team will follow. Don't experiment or practice during a game. Find time to go to drop ins or stick times to practice your skills at a slow pace. Then in the game when you skate hard you will have the skills needed to up your game.

Steelhead16 is offline  
Old
02-05-2010, 06:11 PM
  #54
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
Learning how to properly receive a pass is something that I'm dismayed to say, few players know how to do properly with composite sticks. You can't use the same idea as wood, this ain't the Mighty Ducks and there's no egg trick. To catch a hard pass, you have to exert more force on your lower hand and move up to meet it while cupping your blade.

BadHammy* is offline  
Old
02-05-2010, 07:30 PM
  #55
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Learning how to properly receive a pass is something that I'm dismayed to say, few players know how to do properly with composite sticks. You can't use the same idea as wood, this ain't the Mighty Ducks and there's no egg trick. To catch a hard pass, you have to exert more force on your lower hand and move up to meet it while cupping your blade.
This is surprisingly true! With some of the whippier sticks, your stick flexes a fair bit while receiving the pass. This is why I like Easton sticks... they have a very dull feel and for whatever reason it's much easier to control passes.

noobman is offline  
Old
02-05-2010, 07:51 PM
  #56
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
I've never had an issue recieving a pass no matter what I was using. I actually do not even remember a difference between a composite and wood when I switched from wood to composites a year ago.

Interesting that many people have such a hard time with a basic skill because of their stick.

Interesting.

I would also venture to say that it isn't the stick causing the problems. It may be an issue with someone being not as skilled perhaps?

Not picking on anyone, I am just legitimately curious because I did not even notice any difference at all and I am not a gifted fancy stickhandler. I'm a decent stickhandler I mean, I look like I know what I am doing in other words but it isn't my strong suit. I am a very excellent passer however and do handle the puck well. I play defense and passing is a priority as well as receiving a pass that is often a very hard pass.

I find these forums interesting for this stuff we discuss.

Hockeyfan68 is offline  
Old
02-05-2010, 11:11 PM
  #57
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I've never had an issue recieving a pass no matter what I was using. I actually do not even remember a difference between a composite and wood when I switched from wood to composites a year ago.

Interesting that many people have such a hard time with a basic skill because of their stick.

Interesting.

I would also venture to say that it isn't the stick causing the problems. It may be an issue with someone being not as skilled perhaps?

Not picking on anyone, I am just legitimately curious because I did not even notice any difference at all and I am not a gifted fancy stickhandler. I'm a decent stickhandler I mean, I look like I know what I am doing in other words but it isn't my strong suit. I am a very excellent passer however and do handle the puck well. I play defense and passing is a priority as well as receiving a pass that is often a very hard pass.

I find these forums interesting for this stuff we discuss.
Yeah, everyone who I've known to switch to comp from wood has complained about it. With maybe 1 exception!

BadHammy* is offline  
Old
02-05-2010, 11:48 PM
  #58
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Yeah, everyone who I've known to switch to comp from wood has complained about it. With maybe 1 exception!
I've never heard anyone complain about it until now and I was honest in saying I never noticed a difference. I didn't notice a difference.

I'm interested in finding out why and wasn't downing anyone. I am legitimately confused by your post because I have never heard of it before. I would like to hear from someone else who had problems handling a hard pass with a composite and they could with wood.

You learn something new everyday I guess because this would be something new as far as I am concerned about this issue. I would think if it were that big of deal i would have noticed it after using woodies for 35 years.

Hockeyfan68 is offline  
Old
02-06-2010, 12:17 AM
  #59
Headcoach
Registered User
 
Headcoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 746
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
What is "linear hockey"?

All the other bolded ones are things I do that my teammates yell at me for doing The only thing more frustrating than playing w/ people who don't think the game well... is playing with people who don't think the game well but still feel that they need to teach you how to play hockey

Everything Headcoach mentioned is sound advice... but what do you do when your teammates aren't good enough to buy into the system?


...and please don't reply with "play defense"!
I hear what you are saying. A lot of players that play in beer leagues are coaches themselves. And to be honest, because the majority of them are coaches, they all have their own idea of how the game needs to be played...in their opinion.

As for Linear Hockey. Linear hockey is kind of a catch phrase that I use when I am coaching my players. Linear hockey is when players just skate straight up their skating lanes.

When a player does this, it makes it easier for the defensemen on the other team to play you easier. However, if you cross over into the next skating lane over (weave) it makes it a little harder for the defensemen to track you. However, it's important that the player that is in the skating lane that you are moving into, that he moves over into the lane that you just left.

This move from your team mate should be performed from behind. The general rule goes something like this..."the player without the puck goes behind". This should help you guys from running into each other.

Hope this helps!

Head coach

__________________
Hundreds of Hockey Drill for FREE at http://www.passthepuck.net
Headcoach is offline  
Old
02-06-2010, 01:16 AM
  #60
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,407
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Haven't seen this mentioned but don't use hockey to get into shape. It's an-aerobic. I see some guys who are playing hockey and I'm afraid for their health. Just in really poor shape and they go out there full tilt using hockey as their exercise for the week. I can only imagine what they are intaking nutritionally. Put on the leg warmers, the dolphin shorts and pop in the Sweatin To The Oldies DVD. If you're playing forward and you're in a goalie cut jersey you need to lose weight! It looks like a moo moo!

The Tikkanen is offline  
Old
02-06-2010, 01:45 AM
  #61
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
Good point made by the poster above. One more thing I'd love to ask every C player to add to their arsenal, the flip shot. I've scored so many goals with it, from bad angles, from 3 feet, from 12 feet, without being able to see the net, on my rear end etc. It's just magical. It'll add to your goal totals.

BadHammy* is offline  
Old
02-06-2010, 08:42 AM
  #62
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I've never had an issue recieving a pass no matter what I was using. I actually do not even remember a difference between a composite and wood when I switched from wood to composites a year ago.

Interesting that many people have such a hard time with a basic skill because of their stick.

Interesting.

I would also venture to say that it isn't the stick causing the problems. It may be an issue with someone being not as skilled perhaps?

Not picking on anyone, I am just legitimately curious because I did not even notice any difference at all and I am not a gifted fancy stickhandler. I'm a decent stickhandler I mean, I look like I know what I am doing in other words but it isn't my strong suit. I am a very excellent passer however and do handle the puck well. I play defense and passing is a priority as well as receiving a pass that is often a very hard pass.

I find these forums interesting for this stuff we discuss.
I'd say Mario Lemieux is more talented than you or anyone you know... and he specifically stated he didn't like composite sticks because taking passes was difficult with them. I used wood for 20 years and noticed the "ping" feeling of a composite right away.

Almost everyone I know, many who are elite players, have said the same thing.

There is a big difference between the feel of wood and a composite, very few people would argue that. I've even had people fire passes at me while standing still, and let the puck hit my stick without cupping it, just to see how far it will bounce... and there is a huge difference in the way a puck "pings" off a composite as compared to wood.


Last edited by Mr Jiggyfly: 02-06-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Mr Jiggyfly is offline  
Old
02-06-2010, 09:39 AM
  #63
Frankie Spankie
Registered User
 
Frankie Spankie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dorchester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Stop on the puck ... every pro does it and it is so simple to do you do not have to know anything more than how to stop on your skates.

When you lose the puck STOP and go back in the direction it is going to try and get it back from the guy who took it.

I see lots of people lose a puck or make a bad pass to the other team and give up a 3 on 1 or whatever. When they do this they make a wide turn looking at the ceiling in disgust instead of STOPPING and getting back in the play.

The quickest way back to the puck is stop and go that way where it is now going.

Many time you can help out the mistake you made this way by getting in the play, picking up a man by back checking and maybe even causing a turnover and YOUR team goes down and scores.

But yeah it is called "stopping on the puck" and that is what it means. It is simple to do and will make you a better player.

Good players don't look at the ceiling and sigh and moan after they lose the puck, they go get it back. The time you waste making a big circle trailing the play and watching your puck you just gave up is a huge waste of time and space.

This also applies to scoring chances where the goalie makes a save and if you had stopped on the puck you would have been there for the reboiund instead of in the corner of the rink looking at the ceiling in disgust.
This, I absolutely hate it when people do this. Whenever I screw up on something like that, I always make the extra effort to get back and fix my mistake before it leads to a goal. I can't count how many times I've seen people go in on a breakaway and shoot, whether the goalie blocks it or he misses the net, they'll skate the opposite way half the time instead of going for the second chance. Also applies to when somebody gets a penalty. I'll never understand why when somebody gets a penalty, the whole team stops skating...

Frankie Spankie is offline  
Old
02-06-2010, 10:02 AM
  #64
Pog Form
Registered User
 
Pog Form's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krejci46 View Post
Whenever I screw up on something like that, I always make the extra effort to get back and fix my mistake before it leads to a goal.
I'm exactly the same. The hardest I ever skate is when I'm trying to redeem myself for a mistake that I've made personally. I'd go all out like that all the time if I had the energy, though, I promise!

Pog Form is offline  
Old
02-06-2010, 12:18 PM
  #65
Bolt32
Registered User
 
Bolt32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,765
vCash: 500
Wingers, get those point men! Let the defensemen do their job! Take away the Dman at the point and it will make it a thousand times easier for your defense to take away the puck. Centers, You have to be the first ones in the O zone for a scoring chance, and THE FIRSTS ONES BACK! There is no excuse for you to chill by the oposing blueline looking for that home run pass. The same people that do this are the same that take three minute shifts. We all paid for the ice time, so lets share it equally. If you want a break away get in the D-zone and steal the puck to create one. Dont expect me to steal it from someone then act like I'm Brett Farve on skates, it doesn't work like that.

Bolt32 is offline  
Old
02-06-2010, 07:30 PM
  #66
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly> View Post
I'd say Mario Lemieux is more talented than you or anyone you know... and he specifically stated he didn't like composite sticks because taking passes was difficult with them. I used wood for 20 years and noticed the "ping" feeling of a composite right away.

Almost everyone I know, many who are elite players, have said the same thing.

There is a big difference between the feel of wood and a composite, very few people would argue that. I've even had people fire passes at me while standing still, and let the puck hit my stick without cupping it, just to see how far it will bounce... and there is a huge difference in the way a puck "pings" off a composite as compared to wood.
All I can comment on is what I feel and like yourself I've used woodies for 35 years. I did not notice a difference in feel when I switched.

I use Harrow composite 2 pieces if that helps any. I do know they designed them for feel and not to be the lightest stick on the market. The shafts have vibration absorbing things inserted every few inches.

Whatever ... I am not lying about it. I don't think you have to be a pro to tell the difference between feels. I used wood for many years .... you would think I would have noticed a huge change.

The composites today are better than when Super Mario played by the way. That was what .... 2005 when he called it a career? 5 years ago .... lots of things have changed with compos between now and then.

Hey I'm just sayin'. I personally did not notice anything to get upset about and have had NO issues whatsoever.

Hockeyfan68 is offline  
Old
02-06-2010, 07:32 PM
  #67
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator
 
Chairman Maouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fire Lake
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,759
vCash: 50
I wasn't able to play beer-league for long because after awhile I was told to hit the road. I couldn't turn off the competitive instinct. I had to hit people.

Chairman Maouth is offline  
Old
02-06-2010, 07:41 PM
  #68
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly> View Post
I'd say Mario Lemieux is more talented than you or anyone you know... and he specifically stated he didn't like composite sticks because taking passes was difficult with them. I used wood for 20 years and noticed the "ping" feeling of a composite right away.

Almost everyone I know, many who are elite players, have said the same thing.

There is a big difference between the feel of wood and a composite, very few people would argue that. I've even had people fire passes at me while standing still, and let the puck hit my stick without cupping it, just to see how far it will bounce... and there is a huge difference in the way a puck "pings" off a composite as compared to wood.
agree 100%

CanadaBacon is offline  
Old
02-06-2010, 07:41 PM
  #69
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
I wasn't able to play beer-league for long because after awhile I was told to hit the road. I couldn't turn off the competitive instinct. I had to hit people.
and what?

CanadaBacon is offline  
Old
02-06-2010, 07:50 PM
  #70
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,407
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Another thing I've seen from time to time is the guy who goes around challenging or getting into fights. I have no problem with fighting as long as it's two willing participants who square up and exchange bombs. That said, if your sole purpose for signing up for beer league hockey is to start fights or skate around asking people to fight in no fighting leagues-join a MMA gym! Go box, something. If you get banned from a rink for your actions maybe it's time to change up the routine.

The Tikkanen is offline  
Old
02-06-2010, 08:31 PM
  #71
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator
 
Chairman Maouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fire Lake
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,759
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
and what?
I don't get what you're not getting.

Chairman Maouth is offline  
Old
02-06-2010, 08:32 PM
  #72
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
I don't get what you're not getting.
i just assumes that there should be more to that.

CanadaBacon is offline  
Old
02-06-2010, 08:36 PM
  #73
blueberrydanish
Registered User
 
blueberrydanish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
i just assumes that there should be more to that.
I assume he played a competitive league, moved down/started playing rec after a long break, and played way too physical prob throwin hits. My take of his story.

blueberrydanish is offline  
Old
02-06-2010, 08:39 PM
  #74
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator
 
Chairman Maouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fire Lake
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,759
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
I assume he played a competitive league, moved down/started playing rec after a long break, and played way too physical prob throwin hits. My take of his story.
That's it. I had a very hard time turning it off, and when I made a concerted effort to turn it off, I didn't enjoy myself and felt out of place. I loved hitting more than scoring goals, and when that was gone, the fun was gone for me too.

Chairman Maouth is offline  
Old
02-06-2010, 08:43 PM
  #75
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
That's it. I had a very hard time turning it off, and when I made a concerted effort to turn it off, I didn't enjoy myself and felt out of place. I loved hitting more than scoring goals, and when that was gone, the fun was gone for me too.
Play Senior A

CanadaBacon is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.