HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Jokinen on Phaneuf

Old
02-05-2010, 03:39 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Didn't read through the entire thread so maybe it was touched on but I could have sworn I heard that Burke was attempting to get Jokinen in the Phaneuf deal also if Calgary added some incentive for taking on the rest of his salary.

But Sutter wasn't interested in parting with Jokinen in the Phaneuf deal.

Anyone else hear this too?

02-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Eklund was funny yesterday. Six hours before the Kov trade, he was posting that everyone needed to relax, it was going to take awhile. LOL.
he's been wrong (or oblivious) to the trades this past week. way to go, ek!

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Adversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Belfour View Post
I'm pretty sure that was because of some adultery going on at the time which led to players taking sides.
Was Corson boinking Mogilny's wife/ That's what my inside sources said at the time

Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Defense

Sutter just had a brainfart on this one.

Defense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Myke

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiberg View Post
Funny quote. I'm having a hard time picturing Jokinen 'going to war'.
I dunno, with his moustache...

Myke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Kevin Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adversary View Post
Was Corson boinking Mogilny's wife/ That's what my inside sources said at the time
Does anyone remember what the Leafs official statment was for Corson just walking away from the team in the middle of the playoffs? I remember them making up some ridiculous story to try and downplay things.

Kevin Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:37 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
To be honest, I never heard about Phaneuf being a cancer in the lockerroom before he was traded to the Leafs.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Adversary

Quote:
Does anyone remember what the Leafs official statment was for Corson just walking away from the team in the middle of the playoffs? I remember them making up some ridiculous story to try and downplay things.
And don't forget that Mogilny left the team during a road trip to attend to 'personal matters' at home, and when he returned Corson was benched and eventually quit the team.

Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
To be honest, I never heard about Phaneuf being a cancer in the lockerroom before he was traded to the Leafs.
anyone the Leafs sign or trade for was a cancer... Blake, Kessel, Komisarek, Phaneuf, Orr, etc.

Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Thainor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorPayne View Post
This help?

Haha, that made my day.

Thainor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Lisa Needs Braces

Quote:
Corson had/has collitis (sp?) and I think it flared up pretty badly during the playoffs if I remember correctly. That was what the leafs were saying anyway, but yea, supposedly there was something pretty fishy going on during that time period.

Lisa Needs Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 06:44 PM
william_adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Didn't read through the entire thread so maybe it was touched on but I could have sworn I heard that Burke was attempting to get Jokinen in the Phaneuf deal also if Calgary added some incentive for taking on the rest of his salary.

But Sutter wasn't interested in parting with Jokinen in the Phaneuf deal.

Anyone else hear this too?
yes. it was reported that burke said he was willing to take jokinen but that sutter said no.

i'd say burke explores options in the off season (at the right price of course...) looks like jokinen is signalling that he'd been receptive to listening to offers here as well...

william_adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 07:03 PM
Kevin Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Leaf View Post
Corson had/has collitis (sp?) and I think it flared up pretty badly during the playoffs if I remember correctly. That was what the leafs were saying anyway, but yea, supposedly there was something pretty fishy going on during that time period.
So he didn't use protection.

Kevin Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
What about the story about him and Iginla squaring off in the dressing room. So many BS stories and people here eat it up.
Honsetly, when you loose a player like Phaneuf, you have to try and convince yourself (and others) that it was for the better. What better way of proving this sort of thing then by making up stories about great locker room rifts that can neither be proven nor disproven by anyone.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 08:29 PM
william_adams

i really think that because some commentators were making him out to be a combination of chris pronger, scott stevens and ray bourque (obviously an unreachable level for ANYBODY) that when it became clear that he was not a perennial Norris candidate there had to be something wrong with him.

I think the downside of Dion is Bryan McCabe, and that's not a bad downside at all. There is significant upside too, depending on how he adjusts and develops (who knows, maybe he himself was a believer in the hype).

i think jokinen's comments are more about jokinen advertising himself to bryan burke than they are to actually defend dion phaneuf though...

william_adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_adams View Post
I think the downside of Dion is Bryan McCabe, and that's not a bad downside at all. There is significant upside too, depending on how he adjusts and develops (who knows, maybe he himself was a believer in the hype).
I agree that a McCabe downside is still pretty good. But Dion is a better shut down guy than McCabe ever was, and he has much better puck control, especially skating the offensive line. McCabe had a terrible time trying to shift on the blueline, and could never settle the puck down, he needed perfect passes to get his chances.

anyway, McCabe in his prime was an awesome offensive force on D, and a pretty gritty nasty player. Dion can do all that, and be responsible and effective defensively too.

sorry for the Digression though... I totally agree about the hype issue, and inflated expectations. I do however think Phaneuf can get to a higher level, and definitely push into the elite status many claim... he's probably a top 10 d in the league as it is.

Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 10:23 PM
ThinMcWhistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorPayne View Post
This help?

LOL, that's actually really funny. Good on you sir!

ThinMcWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 11:02 PM
Stats79

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicism View Post
. It seems to me this flack of Phaneuf being bad in the dressing room is a transparent attempt by the Sutter camp to make himself look better.
Where does it say that the Sutter camp suggested this? I heard it from the media as speculation for the trade.

Stats79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 11:04 PM
The Beyonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
When ever the leafs trade for somebody have high calibre, every leaf hater starts spewing verbage about him being "a cancer in the locker room" or "did not get along with his coach, and doesn't take criticism." Every damn player, back to Owen Nolan and beyond. All the time it happens.

The Beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 11:20 PM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_adams View Post
i really think that because some commentators were making him out to be a combination of chris pronger, scott stevens and ray bourque (obviously an unreachable level for ANYBODY) that when it became clear that he was not a perennial Norris candidate there had to be something wrong with him.

I think the downside of Dion is Bryan McCabe
, and that's not a bad downside at all. There is significant upside too, depending on how he adjusts and develops (who knows, maybe he himself was a believer in the hype).

i think jokinen's comments are more about jokinen advertising himself to bryan burke than they are to actually defend dion phaneuf though...

I'll take Phaneuf over McCabe any day of the week, ever since the league cracked down on the clutching and grabbing, McCabe couldn't check for beans. There are very few exceptional dmen who could give an open ice hit like Phaneuf and are at the same time such a threat on the powerplay.

I'll sign Jokinen for a couple of years at $3.5 to $4 million -- he can't be as bad as Blake, can he?

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 11:36 PM
Macke*

I'd say Iginla would be a bigger problem in the locker room then Phaneuf. Terrible Leader.

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote