HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Halak will get traded soon according to Réjean and Marinaro.

Old
02-05-2010, 02:39 PM
sheed36

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
what's with the constant obsession with "making the playoffs"? there's NO point in making it if your team doesn't have a chance at all to go far.

Gainey's focus should be 100% on improving the team for the next years. I guess he didn't see it like this though when he got Mr. Cap Space Gomez.. I'm sick of the half-ass approach. We've had a mediocre team for 15+ yrs.

Hockey is a business and for the owners it is all about making the playoffs even if it is only for 2 home games just for the added revenue...

It's tough as fans to just be content making the playoffs and having a mediocre team but really it all boils down business and how much money an owner can make in the end...

If I had a choice of the Habs finishing 8th or 9th and just missing the playoffs I would still pick the playoffs even if it only lasts 4 games...

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:40 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
what's with the constant obsession with "making the playoffs"? there's NO point in making it if your team doesn't have a chance at all to go far.

Gainey's focus should be 100% on improving the team for the next years. I guess he didn't see it like this though when he got Mr. Cap Space Gomez.. I'm sick of the half-ass approach. We've had a mediocre team for 15+ yrs.
Pulling for another team might be just what the doctor orders for you good sir. You seem so sick of this team, it could do you some good.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:18 PM
All-Star

If there's no good offers to be had, why would Gainey trade either?

Although I think taller goalies (with equivalent potential) are likelier to have longer careers in the NHL (less dependant on lightning-quick reflexes), I can't see trading Halak this season unless the return is worth it...

I definitely wouldn't trade Price this season unless it was for a massive over-payment...

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:21 PM
holyhabs87

Better to trade one at the draft.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
Making the playoffs means you have a chance to win the Cup. Not making them means you don't.

Also, ask an owner what the big deal is. Come playoff time all revenues a team makes stays with the team and is not shared with the league and all salaries have been paid so it's all gravy. 21,000x2 playoff priced tickets and other revenues can turn out to be a handsome sum.
It's also revenue for the Molson brothers, its a business.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:33 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
It's also revenue for the Molson brothers, its a business.
I think that being shrewd businessmen, the Molsons would understand risk and return-on-investment.

Selling the farm for a small chance at 2-3 playoff dates this year, at the cost of sacrificing more than 2-3 future playoff home dates, is not a good business decision.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:

yes, what's all this playoffs nonsense. Smartest post on the board in years really. Why would anybody want to make the playoffs.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
yes, what's all this playoffs nonsense. Smartest post on the board in years really. Why would anybody want to make the playoffs.
owners, front office and players are so dumb, don't they realize the real goal in hockey is your draft position???

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 05:02 PM
bobbyfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcarle View Post
Tony Marinaro continues on his crusade over how unhappy Halak is, and the damage is done, etc. Can't we just hope that he's happy that he's playing a lot and that's he a good team guy that won't put his past "hurt feelings" ahead of the team? Halak seems happy to win, the team plays hard for him, let it be. We have two good goalies who are the brightest spot in this otherwise mediocre season.

The radio guys always complain about how you have to choose a number one goalie and stick with it. While it doesn't seem to be common, teams like the 2002 and 2006 Hurricanes alternated starting/hot goalies until the Stanley Cup finals. Halak is hot, leave him in, end of discussion/controversy. Should he cool off, we'll deal with it later. Why trade a young goalie? How much did Anaheim get for Bryzgalov again? Oh ya...nothing.

Goaltending is not the problem.
I am sooo tired of " Scoop " Marinato

bobbyfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 05:05 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
If there's no good offers to be had, why would Gainey trade either?

Although I think taller goalies (with equivalent potential) are likelier to have longer careers in the NHL (less dependant on lightning-quick reflexes), I can't see trading Halak this season unless the return is worth it...

I definitely wouldn't trade Price this season unless it was for a massive over-payment...
What is a massive overpayment when it comes to Price?

If it's the big 3, you might as well say that you don't want to trade him.

I would only trade Price, if we get young players with his kind a talent back... (or Vinny, of course, but I'd prefer looking at western teams for obvious reason)

I would do this because we have the luxury of having 2 young talented goalies.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 05:19 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcarle View Post
Tony Marinaro continues on his crusade over how unhappy Halak is, and the damage is done, etc.
Marinaro is trying very hard to convince the world that Gainey should be fired. Yesterday if not sooner.

Old
02-05-2010, 05:22 PM
DeVries*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Marinaro is trying very hard to convince the world that Gainey should be fired. Yesterday if not sooner.
So is JC Lajoie.

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 05:43 PM
RushDP

Quote:
Actually, it's become an obsession of his. He rails on and on about insignificant details and takes cheap shots on BG every day during his show. He doesn't do it when he's on with Tieman because he'd get a discussion going and then Tieman would school him.

Marinaro used to be OK but he's become full of himself. I'd love to see him go one on one with Gainey and discuss all the things he says when BG isn't around. That would be so sweet!

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 05:45 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Thank goodness their word doesn't mean **** !

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 06:16 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
Actually, it's become an obsession of his. He rails on and on about insignificant details and takes cheap shots on BG every day during his show.
I don't listen to him often, but I knew he'd fallen off the deep end when he was talking to Pierre McGuire about the WJC training camp, brought up Greg Neimisz, and then railed about how that was the pick the Habs had traded for Tanguay who'd then left for nothing.

Keep in mind, it was a segment about the WJC. The Habs had nothing to do with the subject.

Old
02-05-2010, 06:25 PM
JackieChan

Quote:
I don't listen to him often, but I knew he'd fallen off the deep end when he was talking to Pierre McGuire about the WJC training camp, brought up Greg Neimisz, and then railed about how that was the pick the Habs had traded for Tanguay who'd then left for nothing.

Keep in mind, it was a segment about the WJC. The Habs had nothing to do with the subject.
Well it's not like he started to talk Nascar...

I do agree he's always *****ing about Gainey though, just like Tremblay.

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 06:26 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
Well it's not like he started to talk Nascar...
Still, it was completely out of context.

All I could think of was "WTF dude, just talk about the WJC."

Old
02-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Umm, he has got this team to make the playoffs in 4 of the last 5 years, something which did not happen the 5 previous years before he was hired. Once teams make the playoffs, it's anyone's game, look at Edmonton the year they got to the finals, they only made the playoffs on the last day of the season.

Only 1 team wins a year, that means 29 Gms fail every year.

The fact that we may actually make the playoffs this year without ever having a full top 6 for more than one full game, added with the fact that we had an entire new team is pretty impressive.

Given that our GMs must be bilingual, you will not find one better than Bob. If you want to go back the Savard and Houle, be my guest.
ummm the bulk of the players that led the team to the playoffs once Gainey got here were already assembled when Gainey took over... and are almost all gone now as we watch the team float around the 8th spot in the conference.

I agree that once a team makes the playoffs, anything can happen... but then again, if a team has played bad hockey throughout the year, it's a bit of a stretch to think that they will all of a sudden put it together in the post-season.

Every team deals with injuries, and it's a stretch to say we haven't ever had a "full top 6"... we didn't have a clear "full top 6" going into the season.

I don't buy the "no one better than Bob" argument. A. Savard did as good of, if not a better job than Gainey, but as I mentioned above, Gainey was the one that reaped the benefit of his work since he didn't get the chance. I hope you were talking about A.Savard, and not S.Savard, who despite some awful drafting and a few terrible trades, still produced 3 cup finalists and 2 stanley cups...

are you really saying that there aren't any billingual people in all of hockey capable of doing a good job as a GM? Really? What, does the french language somehow make a person unable to handle management of an NHL team? I don't think you were implying that, or at least I hope you weren't.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Go Habs Go

I think if Bob trades Halak right now when we're fighting for a playoff spot... I will never support or defend Bob again. I'm not saying trade Price instead but you can't trade away the better goalie right now. It would send a horrible message to the other players.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Hockey is a business and for the owners it is all about making the playoffs even if it is only for 2 home games just for the added revenue...

It's tough as fans to just be content making the playoffs and having a mediocre team but really it all boils down business and how much money an owner can make in the end...

If I had a choice of the Habs finishing 8th or 9th and just missing the playoffs I would still pick the playoffs even if it only lasts 4 games...
Absolutely.

It is fantastic time for the fans too.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 04:31 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
I think if Bob trades Halak right now when we're fighting for a playoff spot... I will never support or defend Bob again. I'm not saying trade Price instead but you can't trade away the better goalie right now. It would send a horrible message to the other players.
Well you should stop defending him already as he traded Rivet when we were in a playoff run.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Agalloch

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
Better to trade one at the draft.
Yep. If there's one to trade it's the best moment... some players will be available because of cap.

I think that's what will happen.. to be honest.

And it's not as if Halak was UFA. He's a RFA this summer , same for Price, there's not rush to trade either of them right now. It's only wishful thinking for most fans and journalists to see which one Habs are going to choose! Just choose both, that's it.

Last edited by Agalloch: 02-06-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Agalloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 08:44 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Well you should stop defending him already as he traded Rivet when we were in a playoff run.
Not the same. Halak is our best goalie while Rivet was our worst defenceman, or damn close. ALso, Halak is RFA while Rivet was UFA. The risk of NOT trading is not the same.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Agalloch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Rivet was a veteran whose the coach wasnt playing anymore and was a UFA. Two completely different situations.

Agalloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:05 AM
mrCoffea*

Quote:

Are you stupid? Ask Molson if he wants the team to make the playoffs or not. Just the revenue you get from it is insane, and if Gainey wants to keep his job, he better get them there

The team should just stick to these two goalies, I wouldn't trade either of them. The minute we do and start having problems in front of the net, people are going to miss the days when we had two of the best young goalies in the league

mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote