HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Dartmouth wins a wild one over UNH in Manchester, 9-8

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2005, 08:40 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Dartmouth wins a wild one over UNH in Manchester, 9-8

No kidding!

Dartmouth wins their first ever Riverstone Cup. Congrats Dartmouth.

I just got through listening to the webcast and I'm telling you this one would've been great to catch on the tube, because it sounded like (from the webcast) to be a very exciting albeit very wild game. Maybe some of our resident UNH fans who actual saw the game can give us a some more insights on it.

Dartmouth went through three goalie changes. Yacey started, then it was Samuel and freshman Mike Devine (I believe that's his name) got his first start and the win! Jeff Pietrasiak went the distance for the heartbreaking loss.

UNH went into the 3rd with an 8-5 lead and ended up losing the game 9-8. It sounded like the Wildcats just gradually fell apart.

Now the Wildcats faithful who saw the game will probably be steamed at the fact that Vinz and Ciocco got penalties for some scrums that they were involved in and the Dartmouth players that were in it with them did not. The Vinz call came late in the 2nd period and Ciocco's came with about 2 minutes left in the third.

Old
01-12-2005, 10:36 PM
Crossbar

Am I reading this correctly...Dan Yacey faced a total of 4 shots and let in 2 GA, then they replaced him with Sean Samuel who faced a total of 6 shots and let in 3 GA, then finally they replaced him with Mike Devine who faced a total of 5 shots and let in 3 GA and ended up winning the game?!? Guess third times a charm, but boy thats freaking hilarious!!

Old
01-12-2005, 10:44 PM
johnny cool

Send a message via AIM to johnny cool
At one point, UNH led 7-3. That's been UNH's problem all year, though. They can score and score and score but have had generally porous defense too. Lots of UNH games this year have been high scoring, and you're just not gonna win a slugfest every single time. UNH's all-offense gameplan finally caught up with them in a major (embarassing) way

Old
01-12-2005, 10:53 PM
Crossbar

Geez yeah I can just imagine what a heartbreaker that must've been for the UNH fans.

BTW whats been going on with Dan Travis?? Hes only played 9 games so far this season, does he not fit the all-out offensive style you speak up?

Old
01-12-2005, 11:44 PM
johnny cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar
BTW whats been going on with Dan Travis?? Hes only played 9 games so far this season, does he not fit the all-out offensive style you speak up?
just asked my girlfriend (a UNH fan).. she says that he was not hurt that she knew of, so it's probably just another one of Umile's strange coaching calls.

i will say, though, that as an outsider of sorts, I have always thought Travis and Dan Winnik had great chemistry. It only makes sense that Umile would try to keep them apart as much as possible.

Old
01-13-2005, 12:46 AM
Crossbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlambert
just asked my girlfriend (a UNH fan).. she says that he was not hurt that she knew of, so it's probably just another one of Umile's strange coaching calls.

i will say, though, that as an outsider of sorts, I have always thought Travis and Dan Winnik had great chemistry. It only makes sense that Umile would try to keep them apart as much as possible.
Yeah that is strange, thanks for the reply ryanlambert.

Old
01-13-2005, 03:42 AM
clefty
What?

Man, Nick Johnson (Dartmouth) is heating up.

Old
01-13-2005, 11:07 AM
johnny cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty
Man, Nick Johnson (Dartmouth) is heating up.
i thought he played for the Montreal Expos

thanks i'll be here all week

Old
01-13-2005, 05:04 PM
TMHUNH

Certainly was a wild one.

I'd like to see a more comprehensive replay of the "no goal" that was scored in the beginning of the 3rd that would have given UNH the 9-5 edge but was waved off, seemed like all the players saw it go in, but they didn't show any good replays of it on the broadcast.

Oh well, can't complain that a win was deserved when you give up 9 goals. Kind of a fun game though, LOTS of scoring chances, the difference for the first 45 minutes was that UNH scored on theirs, where Dartmouth had some bad bounces and I actually thought Petree played a solid game in net. I think it was the 2 goals at the end of the 2nd period that were the gamebreakers.

All in all, it was a fun game as it was happening, but now I think everyone would like to forget it ever happened, and that is including Dartmouth fans, who had to watch their team give up costly turnover after costly turnover.

As for Dan Travis,

Kind of a shame he doesn't get in many games, because he really is a good player, and as Ryan pointed out, does have chemistry with Winnik (whenever they were on a line together last year with Caron, they dominated).

Unfortunately there is something about his game or his work ethic or something that must rub the coaching staff the wrong way.

You can always tell with UNH teams what guys are in the doghouse because they never play and guys who are similarly or inferiorly skilled get lots of ice time. Same situation currently with UNH's Mark Kolanos.

I think Umile better start playing Travis soon before he pulls a John Doherty and bolts.

Personally I could do without Andrew Leach for a few games, not because I think he is bad, but because he takes too many penalties.

Old
01-13-2005, 05:49 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMHUNH
Certainly was a wild one.

I'd like to see a more comprehensive replay of the "no goal" that was scored in the beginning of the 3rd that would have given UNH the 9-5 edge but was waved off, seemed like all the players saw it go in, but they didn't show any good replays of it on the broadcast.

Oh well, can't complain that a win was deserved when you give up 9 goals. Kind of a fun game though, LOTS of scoring chances, the difference for the first 45 minutes was that UNH scored on theirs, where Dartmouth had some bad bounces and I actually thought Petree played a solid game in net. I think it was the 2 goals at the end of the 2nd period that were the gamebreakers.

All in all, it was a fun game as it was happening, but now I think everyone would like to forget it ever happened, and that is including Dartmouth fans, who had to watch their team give up costly turnover after costly turnover.

As for Dan Travis,

Kind of a shame he doesn't get in many games, because he really is a good player, and as Ryan pointed out, does have chemistry with Winnik (whenever they were on a line together last year with Caron, they dominated).

Unfortunately there is something about his game or his work ethic or something that must rub the coaching staff the wrong way.

You can always tell with UNH teams what guys are in the doghouse because they never play and guys who are similarly or inferiorly skilled get lots of ice time. Same situation currently with UNH's Mark Kolanos.

I think Umile better start playing Travis soon before he pulls a John Doherty and bolts.

Personally I could do without Andrew Leach for a few games, not because I think he is bad, but because he takes too many penalties.
TMHUNH: Thanks for an update.

In regards to that non-goal, I caught the UNH feed of the webcast and apparently(according to the broadcasters) the puck was behind Devine but didn't cross the goal line. The guys said that the ref was right there and supposedly made the right call. Just giving you what the broadcasters mentioned.

Old
01-13-2005, 08:39 PM
dafranchz

But Pietrasiak let in all 9 goals!

Old
01-13-2005, 08:44 PM
TMHUNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Dahlia
But Pietrasiak let in all 8 goals!
Yeah...well, all 9 actually.

But he did make 31 saves, at least half of which I would say were "good" or "tough" saves. Now clearly, a goalie is called upon to make such saves, but I did think he played well in this game if you can believe it.

I would say he made just as many good saves as he did in either Providence game this past weekend, which was his breakout series to emerge as UNH's clear starter (wonder if this game changes that )

Let's just put it this way. If any of Dartmouth's 3 goalies were tending UNH's net the way that they played last night, the score would have been 20-8 Dartmouth. The defense was that bad.

My tape ran out before the last 2 goals. But up until when it was 8-7, I thought Jeff had played a good game, he bailed out the defense a lot more times than Dartmouth's goalies did for theirs.

I think my judgement is based more on the saves he did make, rather than the ones he didn't, most of which were saveable, but he was hung out to dry all night.

I think anyone that saw the game would agree that he didn't play poorly, despite the 9 goals, whereas outsiders are wide eyed as to why he wasn't pulled.

Old
01-14-2005, 11:58 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Gophers win wild one over MSU

Sounds like a wild game. There was an entertaining contest between Minnesota and Minnesota St tonight on TV. Gophers won 9-6. Danny Irmen first career hat trick and an assist. Included was an awesome shorthanded goal where he faked the goalie out of his pads to the backhand.

Potulny broke his goal drought with his nation-leading 12th PP tally.

Guyer- SHG, assist (played really well)
Tallackson- goal, assists (played to his capabilities)
Hirsch- goal

Becker- 2 goals for MSU
Peto- 3 points (1-2-3)

This was very entertaining. Even though he allowed six, Briggs made several big saves and was ultimately the difference.

Old
01-15-2005, 12:39 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Dang..if Jessiman was in the lineup for that game it probably would have been 13-8.

Old
01-17-2005, 11:39 AM
acr*

I think it was embarassing, but I wasn't really upset at all. If this were to happen in the Frozen Four, I'd have broken something(and find some way to blame it on Michael Ayers)

Old
01-17-2005, 03:34 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by acr
I think it was embarassing, but I wasn't really upset at all. If this were to happen in the Frozen Four, I'd have broken something(and find some way to blame it on Michael Ayers)

Closed Thread