HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers acquire Ville Leino from Detroit for OK Tollefsen + '11 5th round pick

Old
02-06-2010, 11:58 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
BTW, last time the Flyers made a trade with the Red Wings: October 5, 1993 (they made 4 trades in 1993 alone)
One of them was the acquisition of Jim Cummins about a year after he and Hextall got into a stick-swinging fight in a pre-season game in Miami.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:58 AM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Personally... I dont think they would trade a regular on Detroit, use a draft pick, just to sit in the box.

Just saying... its not how the Flyers do things.
Well, Leino had been in the pressbox for 6 straight games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Check out post 3
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=733274

Haha.

I think this makes Powe the 13th forward for now. Or at least him and Leino alternate.
Nice call, I actually agree with the Carter part too. If there's one thing that JC has shown, it's that it doesn't really matter who plays with him, so it might be worth giving Leino a shot there.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:00 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Ruzicka had talent and a skill-set too.

Why will Asham sit? Hey, I love Asham. But we've seen before that he is not the most loved by those who make the decisions, and when it comes time for someone in this group of guys to take a seat, Asham is the best bet.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:00 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Asham will almost certainly (and should) sit if this guy is in the lineup tonight. Yes he is a scrapper, but so is half the team. Asham does not have a nice playmaking touch. His chemistry with JVR (and Giroux for that matter) is there but not more than any out of the ordinary. I don't know too much about Leino's defense so I can't talk about that. Leino, from what I have seen, has a scoring touch. He's not gonna put up 50 goals, but JVR and Giroux would both benefit from having a scorer on their line. I'm cool with Leino starting over Asham or Leino being the 13th forward. I think Leino would do better but it wouldn't be a huge upgrade so either way. I think Powe should definitely not sit though. It should be Asham or no one.
He's not going to put up 10 goals.

I love Asham, I think he has nice hands, he's a good forechecker, he scraps, creates trouble, plays hard, works hard, hope we resign him, but he's really earned his spot.

He had a great year last year and started this season out on the bench, but did he complain? Nope, he just earned his spot back.

Old
02-06-2010, 12:01 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Another reason why it might be Powe over Asham, is that Leino is a LW like Powe has been playing. Asham is a good fit with the kids on the 3rd line.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:01 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Well, Leino had been in the pressbox for 6 straight games.

Nice call, I actually agree with the Carter part too. If there's one thing that JC has shown, it's that it doesn't really matter who plays with him, so it might be worth giving Leino a shot there.
Oh didnt know that... well personally, Leino is gonna get a shot. I like Powe like everyone else, but if theres a time that Giroux isnt moving up, Powe is gonna sit..

Gagne-Richards-Hartnell
Leino-Carter-Briere
JVR-Giroux-Asham

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:02 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Oh didnt know that... well personally, Leino is gonna get a shot. I like Powe like everyone else, but if theres a time that Giroux isnt moving up, Powe is gonna sit..

Gagne-Richards-Hartnell
Leino-Carter-Briere
JVR-Giroux-Asham
Yeah you are probably right. I don't like having Giroux on the 3rd line, but that seems to be the decision and Powe certainly isn't suited for top-6 duties.

Old
02-06-2010, 12:03 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

http://www.freep.com/print/article/2...om-for-Franzen

Quote:

LOS ANGELES — As expected, the Red Wings have moved Ville Leino, opening the room they need to activate Johan Franzen when he returns Tuesday.

The Wings traded Leino to Philadelphia, in the Eastern Conference, for a fifth round pick in 2011 and defenseman Ole-Kristian Tollefsen.

Tollefsen will be put on waivers at noon today and, if he clears, will be sent to Grand Rapids Monday afternoon.

The Wings signed Leino, a free agent out of Finland, in spring of 2008, seeing in him a promising addition to their future lineup. He was sent to Grand Rapids at the start of the 2008-09 season, and showed promise when he scored in his very first NHL game in January of 2009. He impressed regularly during 13 games with the Wings, contributing nine points, enough to get into seven playoff games last spring.

This season, his skill was hard to spot. After 42 games, he had just seven points and was a minus-10, and had become a regular scratch.

“When we signed him, we had high hopes for him,” general manager Ken Holland said. “He played well for us in Detroit last year and with all the offense we lost last summer, we thought this was a great opportunity for him. For whatever reason, it just didn’t work out, and other players grabbed the reins while we had injuries.”

The move clears $800,000 from the salary cap, enough to make room for Franzen when he returns after being sidelined four months recovering from a knee injury.

Old
02-06-2010, 12:03 PM
dookie88

I think he will take Powe's spot on one of the top two lines. Powe doesn't posess the skills offensively to keep up with them, maybe Leino does.

It could be part of something bigger, where we trade 2 for 1 or it's just a trade where we look if it works with Leino on a scoring line and if not, we still have some time before the deadline to tweak some things if necessary.

I like it, because we didn't give up a lot, it's a low risk high reward situation.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:06 PM
captainpaxil

powe back to the 3rd asham sits and leino plays in the top 6. i think they try and give him a real opportunity to excel in his new location and make the most of the change of scenery

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:06 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Yeah you are probably right. I don't like having Giroux on the 3rd line, but that seems to be the decision and Powe certainly isn't suited for top-6 duties.

Powe is fine for a game or two due to injuries, but long term we needed a bit more skill around.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:07 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Looks like OKT would be waived and sent to the minors anyways. As noted, DRW made the trade for cap relief, took the salary from the Flyers, and the draft pick is really what they gain the most out of it.

I wouldn't be surprised if OKT never plays a game for them.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:07 PM
albo23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
Where are the Wings? Can he play tonight? If he can, will he play tonight?
They're in L.A. Thank you Philly for taking this guy, I'm glad we got a great return. OKT will end up in the minors for us but it was surprising we got something as good as a 5th rounder.

albo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:08 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Yea, it's gonna be Powe. If we were going with 2 scoring lines and a traditional checking line, I'd say Asham. Holmgren/Laviolette seem set on the 3 scoring lines and Asham's been contributing.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
Weakness:
-Slowest player on your team now regardless who the other person is
-never keeps his feet moving/floats
-gets knocked off the puck quick
-when he makes a move, he's so slow that it never works because the defenseman can get back in time to fix his mistake.
Those sound like weaknesses that Lavi will fix in a hurry or else he'll just refuse to play the guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Asham. Sorry guys. I'm very confident it's going to be Asham.

Well, that is if anyone sits at all.
Asham... you mean one of Laviolette's favorite players going back to his days on the Isle? The same Asham who has always played his best hockey under Laviolette? The same Asham who just had a very productive month of almost mistake free hockey?

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:09 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Holmgren's quote:

Quote:
“Ville is a skilled forward that is going to give us some depth,” general manager Paul Holmgren said via e-mail. “I think he has the ability to play up and down our lineup and play with our skilled players. We're excited to have him.”

Old
02-06-2010, 12:10 PM
DUHockey9

I'm not at all upset about losing OKT, the 5th kinda sucks, but at least Leno has some potential.

TBH though, I really don't want him dressing over anyone currently. I'm a little perplexed at this move.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:11 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Leino-Carter-Briere stinks. I've had enough of the Carter-Briere business. They suck together, quite frankly. I'd like to go through the stats and see how many times they've even been involved with each other's goals.

Briere has been fully healthy virtually the entire season...we have better players to surround him with than in his 95 pt year, yet he's nowhere near a PPG pace. It's totally unacceptable. It's issues like that should be the top priority for this team right now, and I hope they are. Briere needs to be putting up more points. And Lavi needs to work much harder at making that happen. The amount of time he's left Carter and Briere together is discouraging to me. I like giving lines time...I'm not into constant juggling, but changes need to be made. Firstly, they need to attempt to spark the glory days of Gagne-Richards-Briere again.

Here's a frustrating tidbit...sure, Knuble is playing with some incredible players...but the fact that his PPG is on par with Richards, and nipping at the heels of Carter's, when we could've signed him for $2.8m at the most(maybe less)....well, it's just pretty damn frustrating.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:11 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Asham... you mean one of Laviolette's favorite players going back to his days on the Isle? The same Asham who has always played his best hockey under Laviolette? The same Asham who just had a very productive month of almost mistake free hockey?
Thank you, I was beginning to wonder if anybody had actually been watching him.

I still wonder why we included the pick.

Old
02-06-2010, 12:12 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

The idea is to jumpset him. I really think he could do well...

Old
02-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

vCash: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Holmgren's quote:
Sounds like Powe's sitting then?
Gagne-Richards-Leino
Hartnell-Carter-Briere

???

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:14 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Leino-Carter-Briere stinks. I've had enough of the Carter-Briere business. They suck together, quite frankly. I'd like to go through the stats and see how many times they've even been involved with each other's goals.

Briere has been fully healthy virtually the entire season...we have better players to surround him with than in his 95 pt year, yet he's nowhere near a PPG pace. It's totally unacceptable. It's issues like that should be the top priority for this team right now, and I hope they are. Briere needs to be putting up more points. And Lavi needs to work much harder at making that happen. The amount of time he's left Carter and Briere together is discouraging to me. I like giving lines time...I'm not into constant juggling, but changes need to be made. Firstly, they need to attempt to spark the glory days of Gagne-Richards-Briere again.

Here's a frustrating tidbit...sure, Knuble is playing with some incredible players...but the fact that his PPG is on par with Richards, and nipping at the heels of Carter's, when we could've signed him for $2.8m at the most(maybe less)....well, it's just pretty damn frustrating.
I've been beginning to wonder about this myself, I don't really see another solution (not a fan of Gagne-Richards-Briere right now), but that combo hasn't worked as well as most of us hoped I don't think.

Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Holmgren had great admiration for all things Detroit, so it's not a real shock that he's willing to give a chance for someone off their team. Late draft pick, and traded someone they had no intention on using again.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Those sound like weaknesses that Lavi will fix in a hurry or else he'll just refuse to play the guy.

Not just the most productive. Probably the best hockey since he has been here.

That being said, everyone needs to relax. Just like Val said, you forget who our coach is. If he plays lazy... he wont play. Pretty simple as that. He has the skill set but his lazyness is a problem. Lavy doesnt take that ****.

We lose a 5th... oh well. We can easily pick that back up if we really needed.

Old
02-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Flashman

Please let it be Powe that sits.

And please trade Jeff Carter for a skilled player who actually gives a *****.

Flashman is offline   Reply With Quote