HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Congrats to Marc Staal

Old
02-06-2010, 12:19 PM
GothamRanger

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Congrats to Marc Staal

This may be a little late, but Marc Staal deserves congratulations. On January 17 against Montreal, Staal recorded an assist, giving him 15 points and tying his career best in terms of offensive production. In 49 games he already has more points than he had last season.

He has increased offensive production by 50% from his rookie season to his sophomore season, and is on pace to increase production by 100% from last season to this (expected 31 points, 7 goals in 82 games). He is only second in defense scoring to Mike Del Zotto, and does not even play on the power play.

It can be easy to only extoll Staals defensive virtues, especially with allegedly superior offensive defensemen in our system, and some may be frustrated with his offensive game at times but everyone on this board should be happy with his sure and steady progress, especially on a team riddled with offensive problems.

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRanger View Post
This may be a little late, but Marc Staal deserves congratulations. On January 17 against Montreal, Staal recorded an assist, giving him 15 points and tying his career best in terms of offensive production. In 49 games he already has more points than he had last season.

He has increased offensive production by 50% from his rookie season to his sophomore season, and is on pace to increase production by 100% from last season to this (expected 31 points, 7 goals in 82 games). He is only second in defense scoring to Mike Del Zotto, and does not even play on the power play.

It can be easy to only extoll Staals defensive virtues, especially with allegedly superior offensive defensemen in our system, and some may be frustrated with his offensive game at times but everyone on this board should be happy with his sure and steady progress, especially on a team riddled with offensive problems.
He's a good one.

I want to see him work on his upper body strength this off-season. It should help his slap-shot and his ability to clear bodies. But regardless, he's our shut-down guy, and I'm glad to have him.

Sather was smart not to give him or MDZ up for Kovalchuk.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:26 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:

He's been underrated this season. No, he's never going to be elite offensively, but he is a 100 times more complete player than he was last year. The coaching staff has done wonders improving his offensive production, and aside from a portion of the beginning of the season it hasn't compromised his defensive play, either.

The best part about this is that he only just turned 23. He still has a pretty big window in which he could make even more progress.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:32 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
He's been underrated this season. No, he's never going to be elite offensively, but he is a 100 times more complete player than he was last year. The coaching staff has done wonders improving his offensive production, and aside from a portion of the beginning of the season it hasn't compromised his defensive play, either.

The best part about this is that he only just turned 23. He still has a pretty big window in which he could make even more progress.
I think he could be good for 40 points / season. He's got the tools and like you said he's only 23. Is this too ambitious?

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:45 PM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
I think he could be good for 40 points / season. He's got the tools and like you said he's only 23. Is this too ambitious?
I think he'll flirt with 40 points a year, maybe even surpass it once but he'll probably hover around 30-35 a season IMO.

TrojanRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:48 PM
morffin

He is still very young and playing with an idiot for d partner...this kid is going to be very good.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

and he can only get better.. they said in the begg of the year that he was working on his offence. and you can see it.

Tony D63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 01:19 PM
bumrusherer

Find another great offensive forward + put him on the Powerplay = Easy 40+ points for Staal.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 01:26 PM
ColonialsHockey10

The best part about his assists are that they come directly from defense. He will poke check a player or intercept a pass and simply tap it forward to create an odd-man rush. A great example was in Colorado on Gaborik's last goal. Staal broke up a pass and it went right to Prospal, who fed Gaborik for the breakway.

ColonialsHockey10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 01:36 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumrusherer View Post
Find another great offensive forward + put him on the Powerplay = Easy 40+ points for Staal.
I agree... if Staal is on the power play he can get 40 points easily... Actually, I am willing to assume that almost all the offensive defenseman on all NHL teams who play first line power play minutes would get 40 points or more.... If not, the defenseman is not doing his job on the power play..

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 01:45 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
The best part about his assists are that they come directly from defense. He will poke check a player or intercept a pass and simply tap it forward to create an odd-man rush. A great example was in Colorado on Gaborik's last goal. Staal broke up a pass and it went right to Prospal, who fed Gaborik for the breakway.
I agree, makes a lot of good defensive plays that lead to goals the other way. If you're upset with Staal this season you are insane. He's not Shea Weber or Mike Green and he will never be. Can we just enjoy him for who he is? He plays 23 minutes a game and provides more offense than some give him credit for (some people here don't give him any credit at all). Defenseman who play his minutes (without being a liability) and are able to contribute as much as he does even strength offensively (I think he's like top 10 for defenseman or something) are not exactly easy to come by.

The things we actually have to worry about are Redden's rapid decline both offensively and defensively, Rozsival's inconsistency for a veteran defenseman, and how fast MDZ is able to learn to play defense (let's be honest, he has been dreadful the last few months). Staal is a good defenseman who is stuck on a crappy, poorly assembled team.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Im glad that a little O seems to have kicked in. But I dont think he'll be more than a 25-30 pointer consistently.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Marky Marc FTW.

Loffen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 02:03 PM
NewYorkStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I think he's like top 10 for defenseman or something
Yup, he is 4th in the league behind Duncan Keith (36), Mike Green (27), Tobias Enstrom (24). Staal has 22 points, all at even strength.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...iewName=points

You would have to believe Staal would have a chance at the 11 points needed to vault him into the top 10 in overall scoring by defensemen if he was a primary player on the power play. If he didn't he would definitely be on the cusp of it, in my mind.

NewYorkStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 02:33 PM
LyNX27

I just love that in the play offs he elevates his game and becomes such an immense physical beast. I would love to see him fit the Stevens mold but I think he's a bit far from that in terms of that mean streak, hes got the body but he just doesn't have that dirty streak about him.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

And some think he's overrated.

Look at the offensive talent in our division. Now how important is Henke and Marc?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
And some think he's overrated.

Look at the offensive talent in our division. Now how important is Henke and Marc?
He's a little overrated.

Old
02-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
He's a little overrated.
By who? Crazies exist in every fanboy base, but the general concensus is right. He's 6'4 23 yr old playing top minutes against the games best. Maybe not as dynamic as some of the younger monsters of the NHL backline, but he's as every bit important to our success, now and in the future.

Not to mention the blueline beauties he's been given over the years.

Old
02-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
He's a little overrated.
By us, sure. League-wide though, I think he's underrated. We tend to overrate him because we regularly watch these brilliant plays he makes that don't make sense for a kid his age. I don't think some people realize what type of player he is going to be when he reaches his prime. He's going to dominate when he's in his late 20's.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 02:51 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
By us, sure. League-wide though, I think he's underrated. We tend to overrate him because we regularly watch these brilliant plays he makes that don't make sense for a kid his age. I don't think some people realize what type of player he is going to be when he reaches his prime. He's going to dominate when he's in his late 20's.
Oh no, the league doesnt overrate him. I think all in all they have a pretty good feel for what he is, which is a #2 dman. But there are a number of Ranger fans who are convinced he is a legitimate #1, just like there are some Devil fans who are convinced he is just a 6th/7th dman.

I think he is rated so high because we haven't had a true #1 since Leetch was here. 06-07 Rozsival was as close as it came.

Old
02-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
I agree. With Henke, Staal and hopefully some help up front his line will dominate puck possession. Like he's doing now, he won't get all of the assists but he''ll start the play that moves it out of our zone.

Old
02-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Oh no, the league doesnt overrate him. I think all in all they have a pretty good feel for what he is, which is a #2 dman. But there are a number of Ranger fans who are convinced he is a legitimate #1, just like there are some Devil fans who are convinced he is just a 6th/7th dman.

I think he is rated so high because we haven't had a true #1 since Leetch was here. 06-07 Rozsival was as close as it came.
I think we rate him high, because we see how effective he is playing against the best players in the world. He doesn't dominate them, but he's capable of playing with, or against them. Despite the amount of ice-time Staal gets, and the minutes who he plays against, you don't notice a lot of mistakes out of him. Like all humans, he does make his errors, but they don't come around very often. The only issue people seem to have with Marc, is his offensive capabilities. But you have to consider the different gears in motion that could be affecting his performance.

Old
02-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I agree. With Henke, Staal and hopefully some help up front his line will dominate puck possession. Like he's doing now, he won't get all of the assists but he''ll start the play that moves it out of our zone.
I think Marc handles the puck real well. He's not a really good passer, but he can protect the puck. He can carry it from point A to B. You put him on a functioning team like the Hawks, Pens, or Caps, and you'll notice aspects of Marc's game that are pretty non-existent here. I don't think people here truly understand the impact his peers can have on his game. The thing that impresses me the most of Marc, isn't anything physical though. It's what's in his head. He's a very, very smart player. Reminds me a bit of Callahan. Their hockey I.Q. is through the roof. The way they see, and anticipate plays.

Old
02-06-2010, 03:21 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
Marky Marc FTW.

Few things put a smile on my face like Marc Staal rocking Ovechkin.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 03:32 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Few things put a smile on my face like Marc Staal rocking Ovechkin.
God I f***ing hate Kaleta.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote