HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Budget for 03-04

Closed Thread

Old
09-23-2003, 04:53 PM
Satan81

vCash: 500
Budget for 03-04

According to NHLPA.com, the salary for the upcoming season without Satan or McKee's contract is about $27.5 million. I added up every player's salary to find this. According to Larry Quinn, we will have a salary of about $33 million when the season starts. $33 - 27.5 = $5.5 million. This amount won't pay for Satan and McKee, no matter how you figure it. Satan wants $5 million plus and McKee wants $2 million. Even if McKee accepted his 10% raise of $1.53 million, it would leave only $4 million for Satan, which he never would accept.

Here is where I found the salaries:Sabres 03-04 Salaries

Old
09-23-2003, 05:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to 1970
Regier was on the Empire Sports Report today at 6:30 and said he is meeting agents of both Jay McKee and Miroslav Satan tomorrow and hopes to get both deals signed. From the way he talked though he sounded like we have a better shot of signing McKee then Satan but i'm no speech expert. lol

Old
09-23-2003, 07:34 PM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
This team is not in the state to let money get between signing Satan and McKee. It will get done, budget or not, mark my words.

Old
09-23-2003, 07:35 PM
JoeSabre

I know this is reaching, and probably hanging on Regier's every word........but if he is MEETING with Satan, does that mean Satan is in town???? and if he IS in town it could only be TO sign

Old
09-24-2003, 02:00 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan81
According to NHLPA.com, the salary for the upcoming season without Satan or McKee's contract is about $27.5 million. I added up every player's salary to find this. According to Larry Quinn, we will have a salary of about $33 million when the season starts. $33 - 27.5 = $5.5 million. This amount won't pay for Satan and McKee, no matter how you figure it. Satan wants $5 million plus and McKee wants $2 million. Even if McKee accepted his 10% raise of $1.53 million, it would leave only $4 million for Satan, which he never would accept.

Here is where I found the salaries:Sabres 03-04 Salaries
There are too many players on that list though.

If you take out guys that are destined for Rochester like Chris Taylor, Jason Botterill, and Milan Bartovic and then take the 21 guys that are likely to be here you are at just under $26 million.

So with Larry Quinn saying they expect the budget to be around $33 million at the start of the year they can offer Satan $5 million and McKee $2 million and hit that $33 million mark.

Although, that's not including having Peters on the roster for Boulton.

Old
09-24-2003, 04:22 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL
I don't think McKee is worth 2 million...I'd ship his arse out if that is what he wants.
I agree.

From what I've heard the Sabres are sticking with the 1 yr qualifying offer at around $1.65 million and McKee's side is looking for a deal like Warrener got from Calgary which was 2 years and around $4 million.

I think the Sabres will be far more willing to give in to Satan's demands than McKee's. Especially given the number of NHL calibre defensemen they already have under contract.

I could definitely see McKee getting dealt to a team that is desperate for defensive help. It would be interesting to see what the return might be and whether they would put together some sort of package deal with say Connolly, Brown, or even another defenseman in a 2 dman for 1 type deal that gives the other team defensive depth and adds a higher quality defenseman for the Sabres.

Old
09-24-2003, 10:41 AM
Satan81

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSabre
I know this is reaching, and probably hanging on Regier's every word........but if he is MEETING with Satan, does that mean Satan is in town???? and if he IS in town it could only be TO sign
No, McKee and his agent had the meeting today. Darcy is going to call Miro today. He is still in Slovakia, or wherever he is- not in Buffalo.

Old
09-24-2003, 11:43 AM
Satan81

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL
According to Darcy, Miro rejected yesterday's proposal. :mad:
According to Kozak72, Darcy expects a counter-offer from Miro tomorrow.

Old
09-24-2003, 12:07 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob
There are too many players on that list though.

If you take out guys that are destined for Rochester like Chris Taylor, Jason Botterill, and Milan Bartovic and then take the 21 guys that are likely to be here you are at just under $26 million.

So with Larry Quinn saying they expect the budget to be around $33 million at the start of the year they can offer Satan $5 million and McKee $2 million and hit that $33 million mark.

Although, that's not including having Peters on the roster for Boulton.
Okay, so we're talking 26 million plus now 1.7 for Mckee. That puts us at 27.7. Now how much can Peters possibly make playing here? 350,000 if he sticks?

That puts us at 28.05 million (basically 38). That leaves around 5 million for Satan, which seems to be in the ballpark for me.

I think maybe now that they hard balled Mckee under 2 million, leaving them at 5 million extra, not the 4.5ish they would have had, they can get this one done.

Old
09-24-2003, 01:00 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL
Agreed, plus I can't see all these forwards being on the payroll...maybe another extra million+ to play with.
True. I'm still feeling like one of the guys on the potentially crammed third line is on his way out. There's just too many guys to handle and plenty of depth this year with Rochester and all to fill in for injuries. We don't need a 1.5 million dollar healthy scratch player.

Unless someone goes down in the first 10 games or so with a big injury, I think a guy like Connolly is on his way out.

Old
09-24-2003, 02:27 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
My Budget Thoughts....

Regier has stated that the Budget for the 2003-2004 season is 33 million. As stated before in here, if you look at the salaries from the NHLPA website, that means Buffalo has already used approx 27.6 million of that budget (including the McKee signing, minus the rochester salaries). What that doesn't include is Roy's salary (does anyone remember what that was?). That means there is approx. 5.4 million to sign Miro. Depending on how much he signs for I think will depend on where Roy starts the season. If he signs for the whole 5.4 (or more) Roy may start the season in the minors until they can dump a player or two. Players like Curtis Brown (1.6), Tim Connoly (1.24) and Dumont (1.4) or Afinogenov (1.3) could be packaged to bring a veteran. Other one to note is Biron, at 2.2 million, is the teams 4th highest paid player and will be a RFA after this season. If Noronen or Miller emerges, expect Biron to be out the door. If Buffalo does dump all those players, it would be a savings of almost 8 million, which could be used an assortment of ways.

Old
09-24-2003, 03:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoak
Regier has stated that the Budget for the 2003-2004 season is 33 million. As stated before in here, if you look at the salaries from the NHLPA website, that means Buffalo has already used approx 27.6 million of that budget (including the McKee signing, minus the rochester salaries). What that doesn't include is Roy's salary (does anyone remember what that was?). That means there is approx. 5.4 million to sign Miro. Depending on how much he signs for I think will depend on where Roy starts the season. If he signs for the whole 5.4 (or more) Roy may start the season in the minors until they can dump a player or two. Players like Curtis Brown (1.6), Tim Connoly (1.24) and Dumont (1.4) or Afinogenov (1.3) could be packaged to bring a veteran. Other one to note is Biron, at 2.2 million, is the teams 4th highest paid player and will be a RFA after this season. If Noronen or Miller emerges, expect Biron to be out the door. If Buffalo does dump all those players, it would be a savings of almost 8 million, which could be used an assortment of ways.
yeah, but that was before this.... http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...business.shtml

lol

j/k i doubt that will have any effect on anything. But Golisano/Quinn arn't dumb. They know if Satan isn't signed then Sabres have a very slim chance of making the playoffs. Winning hockey = people in the arena and Satan makes that a very good possibility so if somehow Satan's deal goes over to like $33.6 million, Tommy G will approve it. But it's Regiers job to try to get it at $33 mil, if he fails in a few days to do that, we'll go over the $33 million mark.

Old
09-25-2003, 02:12 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

I'm going to guess that the talks now are more about how much Miro should make beyond this season if he were to sign a long term deal and give up the roll of the dice that the new CBA could make him an UFA after this season.

Old
09-25-2003, 02:56 AM
Prospect Prophet

Paging Tom Donahoe we need you assistants at HSBC Arean stat!!!!!

Old
09-25-2003, 03:14 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL
I would love to see or hear if he was wanting close to Demitra type of cash. Can't see Regier giving him 6.5 mill in any of the years of the contract unless it is really long term.
I wouldn't be shocked if Miro started out asking for that kind of money, but I would be surprised if that was the minimum he was expecting to get.

And I agree about Miro not seeing $6.5 million in any year from the Sabres. Unless it were a club option in a 3rd or 4th year of a long term deal.

Old
09-25-2003, 03:53 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL
Somewhere I read(maybe even in a post) that he wanted Demitra type of dollars. It may have been a starting point knowing full well he wasn't going to get it.
I think that was more speculation than anything else. Miro hasn't been giving reporters any types of hints as to what kind of money he's looking for. I think a lot of people have speculated that he might want Demitra type money as a sort of high end and speculated that around $5 million as the low end of what he's looking for.

Closed Thread