HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers acquire Ville Leino from Detroit for OK Tollefsen + '11 5th round pick

Old
02-06-2010, 11:43 AM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The magic was there at RW, Gagne and Richards are just dysfunctional right now (true with or without Giroux there).
Yeah, that's not a bad point.

Someone needs to tell Richards to KISS.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:45 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I think picking up Leino is showing that they think Giroux is a center more then anything...

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:46 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I think picking up Leino is showing that they think Giroux is a center more then anything...
Leino plays the left side, Giroux is natually a RW. That should have no bearing.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:49 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Yeah, that's not a bad point.

Someone needs to tell Richards to KISS.
I think I was saying that in December -- someone needs to sack up and tell him not to do too much. I have been on teams where players get named captain and slowly you start to see their game change because they try to do too much. I'm not saying that the 'C' on his chest is making him play the way he has been, because it could be a multitude of things, but I do think that it is playing a part in some way.

He needs to remember how he had the success that he's achieved---by playing a simple, smart game. He's so much more effective when he does that. It also doesn't help that he's playing with Gagne now. I mean, Giroux also went a little cold on that line despite doing everything but showing Gagne how to shoot.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
I actually kinda like this trade. Leino once had a bit of hype and he is decently skilled just sounds like he needs to get a good kick in the ass by Lavi.

Jaydepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:50 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1335
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Perhaps another trade is coming?
ASF says "multiple moves" though he doesn't specify whether internal or external.

http://www3.allaroundphilly.com/blog...onys/blog.html

Quote:
In the first of what is sure to be multiple moves to upgrade the struggling offense, the Flyers acquired Ville Leino from the Detroit Red Wings in exchange for Ole-Kristian Tollefsen and a fifth round pick in 2011 Saturday morning.

Not quite Ilya Kovalchuk, eh?

“Ville is a skilled forward that is going to give us some depth,” said Flyers G.M. Paul Holmgren. “I think he has the ability to play up and down our lineup and play with our skilled players. We're excited to have him.”
Quote:
Leino makes $800,000 both this season and next season, and will cost the Flyers an additional $200,000 against the cap more than Tollefsen who was making $600,000 and will become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

good move !

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:53 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

That whole issue with Giroux is a tough one, no doubt...as is figuring out our lines in general.

He could surely excel in either spot, but so can most players of his talent if you in turn surround them with talent. For me, I like Giroux more at C. And fact is, stacking your talent at C and filling in the pieces worked for last year's cup winners...so you certainly can't go ruling out that general idea. I'm still not sure what'll be best for this team in the future. It'll likely become much more clear as pieces of this team change here and there.

For the present, the thing I am sure of is that things need to be juggled up a bit.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:53 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
ASF says "multiple moves" though he doesn't specify whether internal or external.

http://www3.allaroundphilly.com/blog...onys/blog.html
How reliable is he?

And 'struggling', I mean, they're 8th in goals per game and have 2 months to get running on all cylinders, just because we've been doing better lately doesn't mean that we're executing Lavio's system perfectly yet.

I still think the Olympic break is going to help a lot. I've noticed that the cycling has been very predictable lately and teams have been anticipating it, hopefully the break will allow us to add more complexity into the offensive gameplan.

Old
02-06-2010, 11:54 AM
hockeyphan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Asham will almost certainly (and should) sit if this guy is in the lineup tonight. Yes he is a scrapper, but so is half the team. Asham does not have a nice playmaking touch. His chemistry with JVR (and Giroux for that matter) is there but not more than any out of the ordinary. I don't know too much about Leino's defense so I can't talk about that. Leino, from what I have seen, has a scoring touch. He's not gonna put up 50 goals, but JVR and Giroux would both benefit from having a scorer on their line. I'm cool with Leino starting over Asham or Leino being the 13th forward. I think Leino would do better but it wouldn't be a huge upgrade so either way. I think Powe should definitely not sit though. It should be Asham or no one.
Asham has been one of our best players recently, look at most of the goals we've scored recently were a player took a pass and scored on the rush, who's the guy passing the puck (Asham). Even if he wasn't a scrapper, most of the forwards should sit before him right now (even some of those making the big bucks). His career may show otherwise, but right now is what matters. Powe should not sit either, we need his energy and from what the Detroit poster said, Leino isn't going to bring much energy.

They must be preparing to make another move. Hopefully nothing stupid. Hartnell and Leino for Dustin Brown or maybe wait and see if Brown gets traded to Atlanta or Calgary and trade Leino straight up (ignoring the cap of course).

hockeyphan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:55 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
That whole issue with Giroux is a tough one, no doubt...as is figuring out our lines in general.

He could surely excel in either spot, but so can most players of his talent if you in turn surround them with talent. For me, I like Giroux more at C. And fact is, stacking your talent at C and filling in the pieces worked for last year's cup winners...so you certainly can't go ruling out that general idea. I'm still not sure what'll be best for this team in the future. It'll likely become much more clear as pieces of this team change here and there.

For the present, the thing I am sure of is that things need to be juggled up a bit.
Difference is, they stacked it with: scorer, scorer, checker.

We might have to wait a bit, but in the re-shuffle when Carter/Giroux get re-signed, it's imperative that we get a real third-line center. Then Giroux can move to the top 6 as a wing, and we'll have a lineup that actually has all the parts to put together a "team."

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:56 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Ruzicka had talent and a skill-set too.

Why will Asham sit? Hey, I love Asham. But we've seen before that he is not the most loved by those who make the decisions, and when it comes time for someone in this group of guys to take a seat, Asham is the best bet.
I dont think it is that...I think it is just that he isnt anything special. We have many players that offer with Asham offers (Betts, Lappy, Carcillo, Powe) and we needed more skill in the lineup. Whether Leino is that skill remains to be seen but its a no risk potential reward kind of deal.

Quote:
Leino-Carter-Briere stinks. I've had enough of the Carter-Briere business. They suck together, quite frankly. I'd like to go through the stats and see how many times they've even been involved with each other's goals.

Briere has been fully healthy virtually the entire season...we have better players to surround him with than in his 95 pt year, yet he's nowhere near a PPG pace. It's totally unacceptable. It's issues like that should be the top priority for this team right now, and I hope they are. Briere needs to be putting up more points. And Lavi needs to work much harder at making that happen. The amount of time he's left Carter and Briere together is discouraging to me. I like giving lines time...I'm not into constant juggling, but changes need to be made. Firstly, they need to attempt to spark the glory days of Gagne-Richards-Briere again.

Here's a frustrating tidbit...sure, Knuble is playing with some incredible players...but the fact that his PPG is on par with Richards, and nipping at the heels of Carter's, when we could've signed him for $2.8m at the most(maybe less)....well, it's just pretty damn frustrating.
Dont get me started on Knuble....That is still my biggest peeve with Homer. Randy Jones was making the same amount...We could have kept Knuble and should have.

As for Briere, I am very happy with how he has been playing, but I agree he should have more points. I never liked him playing with Carter and still dont like him playing with Carter. I have been saying from the beginning of the year that if Giroux was at center, I want to see him with Briere on his wing. They were our best combination and best two players in the playoffs last year. Try it again!

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
How reliable is he?

And 'struggling', I mean, they're 8th in goals per game and have 2 months to get running on all cylinders, just because we've been doing better lately doesn't mean that we're executing Lavio's system perfectly yet.

I still think the Olympic break is going to help a lot. I've noticed that the cycling has been very predictable lately and teams have been anticipating it, hopefully the break will allow us to add more complexity into the offensive gameplan.
ASF defended Holmgren saying that Laperriere would help on faceoffs by quoting 5 year old statistics.

He's an idiot.

Larger point...we can't make "multiple moves" without dropping some players people almost definitely won't want to drop.

Old
02-06-2010, 11:59 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
I like it. I hated OKT.

But like few others said, maybe it's a small move and a bigger move is coming?

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:00 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
If so, makes me wonder that the penalty, or two, by Powe in the last game infuriated Laviolette.
I doubt it, otherwise Hartnell would either be on the 4th line or benched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Line shakeup?

Hartnell-Giroux-Briere
Gagne-Richards-Asham
JVR-Carter-Leino
Interesting.

Quote:
Yeah, I like Giroux-JVR too. I'm just so sick of Carter-Briere.

If you wanted to get really silly with it. You could go...

Gagne-Richards-Carter
JVR-Giroux-Briere

I maintain as I have all year that JVR-Giroux-Briere is good stuff. It was good stuff for 3 preseason games, and it can be again. They're similar to the point where they think so damn silly about the type of things they like to do with the puck, that they need guys like each other to really create the magic. That line is about the magic. And there's enough of it to negate the need for an emphasis on grinding or physicality.

They were actually a PP unit last game which I laughed with appreciation for. I've been crying for Richards to be put on the point of the PP all year(not so much because I love him there, but because I wanted Giroux and JVR to both get PP time, and because Coburn is good for nothing on the PP but a good one-timer once in a blue moon)...but then Lavi finally puts Richards on the point, and instead of giving JVR the open slot up front, he gives it to Powe, haha. I'm a huge Powe fan, but no to the PP for him, no matter the capacity. But anyway, JVR was out there in his place last game, so that was good to see.

Main point here is, more line combos need to be tried.
I would love to see that actually!

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:01 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Making more small changes is going to bring more failure for Holmgren, imo. I'm not interested in any more stuff resembling this Leino trade. I'm fine with nothing being done...what needs to happen is players improving and better line chemistry being found.

The only trades that would seemingly be worthwhile would be those of much more significance...those that might include players named Hartnell, Briere, or Gagne. But each of them has either an NTC or NMC, eh? Which means it's pretty damn unlikely anything will happen.

I really feel like a dick talking about Gagne this way, haha. The fan bond is strong with that one. I mean, he's been around forever...who has even been on the team longest if he's gone? It would tear me up to see him go...but I guess if it makes sense for the team, you gotta do it. Though, it'd be much easier for me to say goodbye to Hartnell or Briere.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
LOL, apparently the Wings have seen enough of OKT and he's on waivers already.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:02 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
ASF defended Holmgren saying that Laperriere would help on faceoffs by quoting 5 year old statistics.

He's an idiot.

Larger point...we can't make "multiple moves" without dropping some players people almost definitely won't want to drop.
That was classic, love the Philly media.

And yeah, we win or lose with the guys on the team right now, doesn't make sense to try to deal slumping players with NTCs.

Old
02-06-2010, 12:05 PM
SirKillalot

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
LOL, apparently the Wings have seen enough of OKT and he's on waivers already.
It was the whole point of the deal. Easier to waive Tollefsen than Leino. And we got a 5th!

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKillalot View Post
It was the whole point of the deal. Easier to waive Tollefsen than Leino. And we got a 5th!
Well, not easier...but you get something rather than getting nothing.

Old
02-06-2010, 12:10 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Maybe it was easier because of who the player was?

SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:11 PM
chaosof99*

So is OKT Norway- or Grand Rapids-bound?

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:11 PM
SirKillalot

Quote:
Well. Leino would have been picked up by someone. Tollefsen? Maybe not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
So is OKT Norway- or Grand Rapids-bound?
He will go to Vancouver pretty soon.

Old
02-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKillalot View Post
Well. Leino would have been picked up by someone. Tollefsen? Maybe not.
Right...OKT doesn't have much value, but Leino does. So, rather than getting nothing for him...you get a pick. OKT, you hope someone grabs him (so you don't have to pay him), but don't really care one way or the other.

It's a good move for both clubs.

Old
02-06-2010, 12:15 PM
SirKillalot

Quote:
Right...OKT doesn't have much value, but Leino does. So, rather than getting nothing for him...you get a pick. OKT, you hope someone grabs him (so you don't have to pay him), but don't really care one way or the other.

It's a good move for both clubs.

No, I don't think Holland hopes someone pick up Tollefsen. I just think he rather take his chances waiving him rather than waiving Leino.