HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Goalie Situation!! TRADE???

Old
02-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Mike Richards 18

vCash: 50
The Goalie Situation!! TRADE???

so with Emery missing another game with Olympic break only a week away and needing to win every game does this worry anyone that Emery may be a continuous problem injury wise the rest of the year?? do we trust Leighton Boucher into the Playoffs??? or do we seriously need to consider another goalie?? Lehtonen Halak/Price Turco just for playoffs?? who else??

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 01:02 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
What do you plan to trade for a decent goalie?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Haute Couturier

vCash: 500
Hartnell for Halak +?

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 01:04 PM
BerubeBox*

I think we made our bed a long time ago. Leighton was the best Homer was able to pull off earlier in the season. I don't think you go uphill from there.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 01:04 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I would be fine with halak/Price if the value is there.

Maybe Thomas, if he was available.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 01:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to 385
Not sure what the consensus on Biron returning here is, but he is certainly available, and likely for relatively cheap.

385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 01:07 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
I think we made our bed a long time ago. Leighton was the best Homer was able to pull off earlier in the season. I don't think you go uphill from there.
How can you say no when looking at that puppies face?

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 01:08 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 385 View Post
Not sure what the consensus on Biron returning here is, but he is certainly available, and likely for relatively cheap.
The Biron era is wayyy past. As Roloston is doing well on Isles, Biron has been doing ******.

PASS

Old
02-06-2010, 01:09 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Not sure what we have to trade for.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 01:11 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
If we trade for someone it has to be someone better than Emery. Biron is at best equal

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 01:13 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
If we trade for someone it has to be someone better than Emery. Biron is at best equal
Would you consider Halak better than Emery?

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 01:14 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
The Biron era is wayyy past. As Roloston is doing well on Isles, Biron has been doing ******.

PASS
He was actually doing quite well until he stopped getting consistent starts.

After the 2-1 loss to us on 11/25 he's had...

11/28 6-1 L to NJ
12/8 6-1 L to us
12/14 7-1 L to FLA
12/19 3-0 L to MON
12/27 2-1 L to us

When he was getting a bit more consistent starts earlier in the year, he and Roloson had pretty identical stats, but Biron was just getting zero goal support.

Similar to Emery, he's nothing special...but I'm personally more comfortable with Biron's style of goaltending than Emery's.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 01:16 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Hartnell for Halak +?
They wouldn't do that.

Goalies don't get traded for anything substantial for the most part. Trade value for goalies is very volatile.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 01:16 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
He was actually doing quite well until he stopped getting consistent starts.

After the 2-1 loss to us on 11/25 he's had...

11/28 6-1 L to NJ
12/8 6-1 L to us
12/14 7-1 L to FLA
12/19 3-0 L to MON
12/27 2-1 L to us

When he was getting a bit more consistent starts earlier in the year, he and Roloson had pretty identical stats, but Biron was just getting zero goal support.

Similar to Emery, he's nothing special...but I'm personally more comfortable with Biron's style of goaltending than Emery's.
Im not getting into this again. Its either this or Giroux at center that we always debate about.

Emery has been more consistent then Biron has during his time here. You can say "the defense was worse then" but it doesnt change the fact of who played better.

Old
02-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Would you consider Halak better than Emery?
I don't think Montreal is going to move him at this point...but right now he's definitely playing better than Emery, and has significantly more upside long term.

Old
02-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Jester

Quote:
Im not getting into this again. Its either this or Giroux at center that we always debate about.

Emery has been more consistent then Biron has during his time here. You can say "the defense was worse then" but it doesnt change the fact of who played better.
This is empirically not true if you look at their respective game logs. You can blame that on injuries (clearly a problem with Emery as of now), but Biron was significantly more consistent than Emery has been with us this season.

Emery (.905, 2.64) has five starts where he gave up 5+ goals in 29 games here.

Biron (.915, 2.76) had five starts of 5+ goals in 55 games last year.

Year before (.918, 2.59) had five starts of 5+ goals in 62 games.

You are allowing your dislike and/or perception of Biron and desire for Emery to be good create an inaccurate analysis. The reality is that they're in pretty much the same group, but Biron has displayed a LOT more consistency than Emery in his NHL career, both here and elsewhere.

Emery's SVPCT in NHL seasons to this point: .902, .918, .890, .905.

Consistency and Emery do not belong in the same sentence. He's having a decent year here, but he has been nothing special, and part of being "consistent" is not getting hurt (unfortunately for him, and us).

Old
02-06-2010, 01:34 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
This is empirically not true if you look at their respective game logs. You can blame that on injuries (clearly a problem with Emery as of now), but Biron was significantly more consistent than Emery has been with us this season.

Emery (.905, 2.64) has five starts where he gave up 5+ goals in 29 games here.

Biron (.915, 2.76) had five starts of 5+ goals in 55 games last year.

Year before (.918, 2.59) had five starts of 5+ goals in 62 games.

You are allowing your dislike and/or perception of Biron and desire for Emery to be good create an inaccurate analysis. The reality is that they're in pretty much the same group, but Biron has displayed a LOT more consistency than Emery in his NHL career, both here and elsewhere.

Emery's SVPCT in NHL seasons to this point: .902, .918, .890, .905.

Consistency and Emery do not belong in the same sentence. He's having a decent year here, but he has been nothing special, and part of being "consistent" is not getting hurt (unfortunately for him, and us).

Like I said, Im not looking at the past because over and over it has shown that it doesnt mean ****.

Take away Emery being hurt (Biron was not hurt when he gave up the 5 goals) and I bet the stats would be 100% different. And personally... I think their both average but this whole "Bring back Biron" is getting way too much. Biron was really bad. Most of us wanted him out easily. He, singlehandedly, lost us some games last season.

Old
02-06-2010, 01:40 PM
fire bettman

I'm confused.... isn't Emery starting tonight?

And am I alone in thinking our goaltending situation is not that bad? I guess I should have expected something else to stew over after the Kovy drama was over.

fire bettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 01:40 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire bettman View Post
I'm confused.... isn't Emery starting tonight?

And am I alone in thinking our goaltending situation is not that bad? I guess I should have expected something else to stew over after the Kovy drama was over.
Leighton is. Emery is...sore

Old
02-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Jester

Quote:
Like I said, Im not looking at the past because over and over it has shown that it doesnt mean ****.
...couldn't disagree more. The historical record over and over has shown that it's a pretty good indicator of what you can expect from year to year.

Quote:
Take away Emery being hurt (Biron was not hurt when he gave up the 5 goals) and I bet the stats would be 100% different. And personally... I think their both average but this whole "Bring back Biron" is getting way too much. Biron was really bad. Most of us wanted him out easily.
Which was misguided...because we went from the 5th best SVPCT in the NHL, to the 18th so far.

And the injuries matter...inability to remain healthy means you're inconsistent. Look, he's hurt again (clearly, despite what Holmgren is saying if he's not getting in net tonight against Minnesota).

And there's no way to make a logical argument that Biron was "really bad." 5th and 8th in the league in team SVPCT. The Biron/Nitty tandem was quite good.

Quote:
He, singlehandedly, lost us some games last season.
So has Emery. So has every goalie in the NHL.

Last year Biron turned it on down the stretch and was a big reason why we even made it to the playoffs. The year before he got us to the ECF pretty much on his own (with a bit of help from Umberger).

Old
02-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Mike Richards 18

vCash: 50
is going after Price of interest to anyone??? with our defense could he not get stellar confidence back?? send Boucher back in the deal as their back up and salary movement but what would we have to send back???

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 01:45 PM
CTU2fan

I'm guessing the Flyers could probably get Tim Thomas. All my B's fan buddies hated the Thomas deal and would love the Bruins to deal him and turn the team over to Tukka Rask. But do the Flyers really want that contract? Would you try to get them to take Briere for Thomas, with them maybe sending Ryder to balance things out a bit more?

Personally I wouldn't touch a Thomas deal, mainly because of the contract and his issues with juicy rebounds, but I like Emery more than most here do.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 01:45 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
...couldn't disagree more. The historical record over and over has shown that it's a pretty good indicator of what you can expect from year to year.

Which was misguided...because we went from the 5th best SVPCT in the NHL, to the 18th so far.

And the injuries matter...inability to remain healthy means you're inconsistent. Look, he's hurt again (clearly, despite what Holmgren is saying if he's not getting in net tonight against Minnesota).

And there's no way to make a logical argument that Biron was "really bad." 5th and 8th in the league in team SVPCT. The Biron/Nitty tandem was quite good.

So has Emery. So has every goalie in the NHL.

Last year Biron turned it on down the stretch and was a big reason why we even made it to the playoffs. The year before he got us to the ECF pretty much on his own (with a bit of help from Umberger).

Why was there a "goalie controversy" at one point last year then if Biron did that good?

Anyway, to get away from Biron yet again... (I dont think he will be back)

I would love Pekka Rinne on this team. Maybe even Harding.

Old
02-06-2010, 01:47 PM
fire bettman

Quote:
Leighton is. Emery is...sore
****.... again? Ok now I'm a little concerned about Emery. Not a bit concerned about Leighton though, has it come time for everyone to realize that he deserves to be our backup yet?

fire bettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 01:49 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire bettman View Post
****.... again? Ok now I'm a little concerned about Emery. Not a bit concerned about Leighton though, has it come time for everyone to realize that he deserves to be our backup yet?
I'm going to answer this because your gonna get a huge post by some people saying how Boucher should be our backup still. Some people like Boucher, others like Leighton, thats what it comes down to.