HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Desharnais/Trotter/White called up

Old
02-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Kjell Dahlin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
Weber never got a real chance.

I like Gainey but he goofed in signing Mara and Spacek. Those posts should have gone to Weber and O'Byrne. They would have blossomed with ice time and left cap room, suddenly Gomez is no problem. Gainey showed a lack of faith and loyalty to his own guys.

Weber was so not ready to play a regular shift in 2009-10. Did you like what you saw during the pre seasons games? He was horrible in the defensive zone.

Spacek provided us with a solid defensive input and I am sure that he still has plenty of offensive production in him... if Martin finally decides to use him on the left side.

Mara instead of O'Byrne, I completely agree with you: Gainey showed a lack of faith. Imo O'Byrne >>> Mara.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Weber was so not ready to play a regular shift in 2009-10. Did you like what you saw during the pre seasons games? He was horrible in the defensive zone.

Spacek provided us with a solid defensive input and I am sure that he still has plenty of offensive production in him... if Martin finally decides to use him on the left side.

Mara instead of O'Byrne, I completely agree with you: Gainey showed a lack of faith. Imo O'Byrne >>> Mara.
Weber is alright. I mean, the guy isn't even used on the PP, how do you expect to use his best asset, his awesome slapshot?

IMO, Martin was pretty stupid with his managing of Weber. Bringing up the kid to play a solid defensive game and giving him no offensive freedom and no PP time will 1) break his confidence and 2) not get the max out of him.

Martin did a fantastic job of not putting Weber in a situation where he can help the team. JM was more interested in having a youngster not hurt the team too much.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
Weber is alright. I mean, the guy isn't even used on the PP, how do you expect to use his best asset, his awesome slapshot?

IMO, Martin was pretty stupid with his managing of Weber. Bringing up the kid to play a solid defensive game and giving him no offensive freedom and no PP time will 1) break his confidence and 2) not get the max out of him.

Martin did a fantastic job of not putting Weber in a situation where he can help the team. JM was more interested in having a youngster not hurt the team too much.

I was also expecting to see Weber on our PP more often so you'll get no argument from me regarding the content of your last post: if we only consider his recent 2 games stint, 42 seconds of PP time for Weber was somewhat surprising.

Regarding Weber in 2009-10...

We already have Bergeron, one of the most prolific PP points scorer in the NHL in 2009-10, playing on 4th. So, based on Weber's size and sub par defensive awareness, the AHL is the right choice for him in 2009-10 imo; especially now that Lever is out and Boucher is in.

I like Weber and next season, I expect him to fight hard for a 3rd pairing job against Subban and Carle or against someone like Marc-André Bergeron for the #7D spot.

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 02-06-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old
02-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Trotter doesn't seem to need adjustement time in the offensive zone.

That kid has sick hockey sense.

Old
02-06-2010, 01:58 PM
number 11

so when does white officially replace lapierre? our most improved player of last year doesn't seem interested in playing hockey anymore. meanwhile, every time white gets called up he plays his ass off and hits everything that moves.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Trotter doesn't seem to need adjustement time in the offensive zone.

That kid has sick hockey sense.
That what caught my eye in this 1st period. While I believe a guy like Desharnais could do better this year 'cause of how solid he looks in his lower body, I found Trotter's game so far really interesting for the reason you mentioned.

Don't know if anybody remembers but that play down low, he was near the middle of the ice, puck was going along the boards with Desharnais forechecking, he had the presence to go along the board as well and intercepted the pass and gave it back to Desharnais creating a scoring chance. For a first game in the NHL, you had to love that thinking and with the speed he did it as far as thinking the game not necessarily foot speed.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
That what caught my eye in this 1st period. While I believe a guy like Desharnais could do better this year 'cause of how solid he looks in his lower body, I found Trotter's game so far really interesting for the reason you mentioned.

Don't know if anybody remembers but that play down low, he was near the middle of the ice, puck was going along the boards with Desharnais forechecking, he had the presence to go along the board as well and intercepted the pass and gave it back to Desharnais creating a scoring chance. For a first game in the NHL, you had to love that thinking and with the speed he did it as far as thinking the game not necessarily foot speed.
Not only that, but everytime he had the puck along the boards and saw traffic, he put in on net.

I'd expect that from a top center, not an AHL call-up.

Old
02-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Not only that, but everytime he had the puck along the boards and saw traffic, he put in on net.

I'd expect that from a top center, not an AHL call-up.
If there are 2 guys I was beyond skeptic that they ever will make it in the NHL are White and Trotter. Not that they've "arrived" yet, but it's more encouraging to see those guys while it's pretty much depressing to see Maxwell. From a never drafted kid (Trotter) to a 2nd rounder....

Well even the best make mistakes....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 02:58 PM
YOUTH OF HABS

Send a message via AIM to YOUTH OF HABS
these guys are siiiiiiiiiiiiick.

YOUTH OF HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
If there are 2 guys I was beyond skeptic that they ever will make it in the NHL are White and Trotter. Not that they've "arrived" yet, but it's more encouraging to see those guys while it's pretty much depressing to see Maxwell. From a never drafted kid (Trotter) to a 2nd rounder....

Well even the best make mistakes....
Not ready to give up on Maxwell. He might take longer to develop but he's got great instincts. Just needs to get stronger and a bit faster.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Taupy

I love you Brock Trotter.

Taupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

They better all be playing tommorrow or I'm going on a rampage.

Old
02-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyfart McGeezax View Post
I love you Brock Trotter.
I couldn't wait until he got his chance and he sure is showing some great stuff tonight! 5 shots tonight!

Impressed with all 3 guys on the kid line.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 02-06-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Artyukhin*

the Bulldog line lived up to its namesake.

David D was all over the place he must have had 5-7 scoring chances, great game , i was impressed

Brock T , also impressed me the same way David D , must say first game he left a good impression.

White oh White, i think this is goona be a guy we fall in love with , love how he in the dirty areas and always taking the body , good game White .

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Kjell Dahlin

So...

When Pouliot and Andrei Kostitsyn are ready to play:

D'Agostini (waive/trade) and Maxwell (Hamilton) out + Desharnais and Trotter in?

And Darche – Lapierre – White on 4th (3b)?

Old
02-06-2010, 04:06 PM
furrfu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyukhin View Post
White oh White, i think this is goona be a guy we fall in love with , love how he in the dirty areas and always taking the body , good game White .
The fight at the end with Guerin was alright too.

furrfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 04:22 PM
RevenueSharing*

Damn these guys were awesome today! what an incredible game by them! Forechecking hard, creating turnovers, hemming the pens in their zone for long periods of time, causing penalties. Just a sick game from all of htem.
Boucher deserves a ton of credit. He's doing an incredible job with our players. I'm eager to see how he builds out Patches too! These kids deserve to stay. White beating up Guerin was lovely haha

RevenueSharing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
So...

When Pouliot and Andrei Kostitsyn are ready to play:

D'Agostini (waive/trade) and Maxwell (Hamilton) out + Desharnais and Trotter in?

And Darche – Lapierre – White on 4th (3b)?
Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
Cammalleri-Plekanec-A.Kost
Moen-Metropolit-S.Kost
Darche-Lappierre-White

Awesome line-up!

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 04:45 PM
RevenueSharing*

btw, who said timmins sucked at drafting? development has always been the issue.

RevenueSharing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 04:49 PM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
the only person in hamilton that should now be with the habs is guy boucher!

the kid line was our best today despite not scoring.

let's see if they bring it tomorrow as well.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 04:54 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevenueSharing View Post
btw, who said timmins sucked at drafting? development has always been the issue.
Two of the rookies on that line were not drafted by Timmins, or drafted at all rather.

Regardless, amazing games by these kids, towards the end of the game they were basically getting played as the second line. You know a line is playing good when they spend virtually no time in their own zone. Drew 4 penalities, created a plethora of chances, excellent game.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 05:00 PM
kernkraft

A big deal for me is that Trotter did not look small out there.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 05:04 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
A big deal for me is that Trotter did not look small out there.
Same here..

Mind you it was only one game, his two biggest detractors from what i had heard was lack of speed and softness.. I thought he never looked behind the play, and battled well enough to be an NHL player. We`ll see how it translates down the line, but so far so very good.

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

He will be a legend.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 05:13 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

I loved the way they cycled the puck in the offensive zone, that is something we haven't seen by our forwards for a while.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote