HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Goalie Situation!! TRADE???

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2010, 06:57 PM
  #76
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,927
vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Milkman View Post
I can admit that he was very, very good at times, but he was exposed as a backup in a starter's position last season. He had good stats, but the team was actually pretty spectacular defensively (as a whole) last year.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he was the reason the Flyers fell apart at the end of the regular season. He was merely part of a team that fell apart at the end of the regular season. That video I posted of the highlights against the Rangers really illustrates that. The 2nd goal by Dubinsky, the short-handed one, was failure by everyone on the ice. The Avery goal was failure by the defense to read the trailer, but also failure by Biron in his technical play (it looks nice because it was beneath the crossbar, but that's a save for most goalies). The Betts goal was the fault of the forwards for poor neutral zone play, fault of the defensemen for not recognizing Betts' position, and failure by Biron in holding onto a ridiculously weak shot.

I just think that if you're going to give Biron credit for staying in a playoff spot, you've got to give credit to more people than him and Giroux. With the same respect, if you're going to place the blame on Biron for the downward spiral last year (not saying you are, just an example), you've got a lot of other people who are worthy or more worthy of blame than Biron.

The real problem I have is with anyone actually regretting letting Biron go and not realizing how stupid it was the let Niitty go. They let Knuble(was with the Flyers from 2005-2009) walk to Free Agency, where he's getting paid the exact same amount as last season and is just as, if not more, effective. They let Niittymaki(was with the Flyers from 2002-2009) walk to Free Agency, where he actually took a substantial pay cut and is much more effective behind a worse team. It's just absurd that people think that obtaining Biron, who's done worse since moving on, would somehow counteract the loss of two much more important/successful pieces in Niitymaki and Knuble.
I said multiple times, and even in this thread, that Briere and Giroux were the two best Flyers forwards down the stretch last season. You should be able to directly quote me on that. Briere had a few clutch goals in March securing some wins than people ignored when they look at the salary cap chart.

Flyers let Niitty walk because they couldn't figure out his hip problems.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 07:01 PM
  #77
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Milkman View Post
The only reason the Flyers stayed afloat down the stretch was because they were able to beat the Islanders, Toronto (giving up 5 goals), and the Panthers. None of those are playoff teams. They lost to the only playoff team they played, which was a struggling Rangers team.
Biron carried that team from January to March with absolutely stellar play. They don't make the playoffs if he doesn't turn it on in the 2nd half. Them the facts.

Quote:
And that is the definition of hypocrisy. One poster looked at Emery in a positive light amidst partial failure, whereas Jester criticized that poster and looked at Biron in a positive light amidst partial failure.
And, at no point, will you find a single argument I made that was the "definition of hypocrisy." If you think so, then I suggest you look up the word in a dictionary. sa cyred made the argument that Emery was "more consistent" than Biron was last year. My rebuttal was that this is empirically not true and provided the statistics. I applied the same exact stats to both goalies and drew the same exact conclusions.

The fact that you've created a narrative of Biron's season last year that is completely lacking in attachment to reality is your own problem, not mine. Biron is nothing special, but he's a legitimate starting goalie in the NHL and played very well for the Flyers the two years that he was here as the starter. You may not want to believe that, but looking at completely objective figures (ya know, statistics) proves your view completely wrong.

Biron's post Jan 1st statistics:

17-12-1, .925 SVPCT

You complain that we weren't beating playoff teams...well, lets look at some of those losses.

NYR 4-3 (final game of the season, collective group turd, including Stevens having an ATO on the ice for the tying goal in the third period).

NYR 2-1 (not Biron's fault)

DET 2-1 (48 SOG!)

WAS 2-1 (not Biron's fault)

CAL 5-1 (post-Upshall trade turd)

NJ 3-0 (shutout, and 42 SOG!)

PIT 5-4 (genuine bad game)

BOS 3-1

PIT 4-2

WAS 2-1 (SO)

So, in 9 losses to playoff teams after Jan 1st, Biron got more than 2 goals of support...once. He lost 4 games where he allowed 2 or less goals.

So, again, don't let the fact get in the way of your good Biron-bashing story...and misuse of the word hypocrisy.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 07:10 PM
  #78
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Milkman View Post
See the bolded.

How does March constitute "down the stretch" but not April?

You know, April. The month in which the Flyers fell out of the top 4, and the month where they had the easiest schedule they had over the course of the whole season. In addition, the month in which Biron's save percentage dropped from .934 to .908 while only facing one playoff team. April, the month where the only playoff team the Flyers played was the struggling Rangers.
Who said it doesn't...? How does April constitute "down the stretch" in isolation? The Flyers played 7 games of an 82 game schedule in April, if he'd waited to play well until April, the Flyers would have been s.o.l.

And... while you may not realize it, .908 is a perfectly adequate SVPCT. .908 would have placed in the upper half of the league for team SVPCT last season, and would be 16th this year. .908 is not bad at all.

Quote:
Also, thanks for being condescending.
Spare me. You want to dish it, be ready to take it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Milkman View Post
How can you possibly say that Biron "turned it on" and criticize others for seeing Emery in a positive light? Hypocrisy at its finest.
Quote:
I love arguing stats with no insight into actual qualitative performance.
Yeah, well, I love arguing about qualitative performance detached from objective reality. Simple truth, ignore stats at your own peril. The human brain is literally terrible at objective memory, which is why statistics are so valuable for giving you some perspective.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 07:23 PM
  #79
Bort Sampson
Registered User
 
Bort Sampson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hammock District
Country: United States
Posts: 1,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Who said it doesn't...? How does April constitute "down the stretch" in isolation? The Flyers played 7 games of an 82 game schedule in April, if he'd waited to play well until April, the Flyers would have been s.o.l.

And... while you may not realize it, .908 is a perfectly adequate SVPCT. .908 would have placed in the upper half of the league for team SVPCT last season, and would be 16th this year. .908 is not bad at all.



Spare me. You want to dish it, be ready to take it:





Yeah, well, I love arguing about qualitative performance detached from objective reality. Simple truth, ignore stats at your own peril. The human brain is literally terrible at objective memory, which is why statistics are so valuable for giving you some perspective.
First off, you're actually talking to a future Psychologist, so that little statement you said about the brain and objective memory? Need to see some actual, you know, real research about that. From all my schooling I've never heard that. In fact, the brain is able to process objective information much more efficiently than subjective information. I can ask some of my Neuroscience professors about that if you want, though.

Also, yes, .908 save percentage is not that bad. However, look at the teams he played during that stretch.

I also never said April constitutes "down the stretch" in isolation. That's poor reading comprehension. My question in my last post was asking why doesn't April ALSO constitute "down the stretch".

I just really like how you isolate Biron's performance from the rest of the team's defensive performance. The Flyers last season were actually a very good defensive team, capable of shutting other teams down and actually agitating top lines. This season's team does not have that ability.

What I would really like for you to do is actually tell me, aside from stats, how Biron is a good goaltender. More specifically, I'd like to know what makes him a starter, because the only starting job he was ever given was in Philadelphia. Maybe, just maybe, there's a reason.

Bort Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 07:27 PM
  #80
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Milkman View Post
First off, you're actually talking to a Psychologist, so that little statement you said about the brain and objective memory? Need to see some actual, you know, real research about that. From all my schooling I've never heard that. In fact, the brain is able to process objective information much more efficiently than subjective information. I can ask some of my Neuroscience professors about that if you want, though.
Evaluating "qualitative performance" of a goalie detached from statistics is the HEIGHT of subjective information. So, by objective memory, I mean watching something and having an actual objective memory of what you saw...which is why eye witness accounts tend to be contradictory and highly suspect.

So, go ahead and ask 'em...I'm a history PhD student, and well versed in how awful humans are at having accurate, objective memories of things they've witnessed. Which is one of the primary problems with oral histories...such as the narrative of Biron's season last year..

Editorial note: this aspect of how we think about sports is why people believe in patently untrue stuff like the concept of "clutch" players...but that's a whole other discussion that I've had with people numerous times on these boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Milkman View Post
I just really like how you isolate Biron's performance from the rest of the team's defensive performance. The Flyers last season were actually a very good defensive team, capable of shutting other teams down and actually agitating top lines. This season's team does not have that ability.
No, they were not a good defensive team. It was one of the primary failings of John Stevens as a coach...which didn't begin to improve until this season. We had extremely bad puck control, spent too much time in our own zone, and gave up absurd shot totals with great frequency. Holding on for dear life is not playing "good defense." It's holding on for dear life.

One of the primary benefits of Lavy, in my view, is that he's actually gotten this club playing a real defensive system (the left-wing lock) with consistency. They still have problems in the defensive zone, which I hope they iron out over the break.

Quote:
What I would really like for you to do is actually tell me, aside from stats, how Biron is a good goaltender. More specifically, I'd like to know what makes him a starter, because the only starting job he was ever given was in Philadelphia. Maybe, just maybe, there's a reason.
Well, actually, that's not true as he was a very solid starter in Buffalo before a younger, better goalie in Ryan Miller took his job. Before that he was part of the mess of young goalies behind Hasek... So, yes, there was a reason, Buffalo has had some very very good starting goalies (including Roloson, who is now on the Islanders with Biron).

What makes Biron a good goaltender? He's extremely sound technically (most of the time). His problem is that he has athletic failings compared to his better compatriots, and similar to other goalies that rely on technique as much as he does, when he gets out of sorts the wheels come off with a quickness.

This is in contrast to someone like Emery who is an extremely good athlete by comparison, but lacks the technique that Biron has...a lot like you see with Thomas in Boston as of right now. When they're feeling it they can be very good, but when they're not...they don't have the technical game to fall back on.


Last edited by Jester: 02-06-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 07:49 PM
  #81
Bort Sampson
Registered User
 
Bort Sampson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hammock District
Country: United States
Posts: 1,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Evaluating "qualitative performance" of a goalie detached from statistics is the HEIGHT of subjective information. So, by objective memory, I mean watching something and having an actual objective memory of what you saw...which is why eye witness accounts tend to be contradictory and highly suspect.

So, go ahead and ask 'em...I'm a history PhD student, and well versed in how awful humans are at having accurate, objective memories of things they've witnessed. Which is one of the primary problems with oral histories...such as the narrative of Biron's season last year..
I understand and appreciate that insight, but that's from a historical perspective. There's a big difference between cognitive capabilities and cognitive functioning. Basically, there's too many confounding variables in assessing the accuracy of eye witness reports that you can't make a general statement about "the human brain" from varied history reports. Not to mention that the amount of people who actually give eye witness reports is such a small sample size that there's absolutely no way you can deduce the cognitive capabilities of a whole species based on qualitative knowledge gained from a select few.

But I will ask them, honestly. In my Cognitive Neuroscience class we've just finished up basic anatomy but we're more than likely starting to delve into the frontal lobes over the next week.

Also, I'm not asking you to prove you have them or anything, but if you do come across any studies like the one you mentioned I'd like to read up on them.

But back on topic, you really can't separate Biron's save percentage and goals against average from the rest of the Flyers' performance.

Our main argument was actually over what you were considering "down the stretch".
I thought you meant "down the stretch" as in the final games of the season, because that's typically how it's used. I have no problem admitting that Biron played well after Christmas, because he did. My memory isn't nearly that bad. However, when it came down to it he was part of a failure of a team. The Flyers decided to move on from that and I can't see them logically going back to him.

If you gave me the option of getting Emery or keeping Biron, I would keep Biron. Hell, I'd keep Biron-Niitty, as I think they were a very underrated tandem.
But if you gave me the option of getting Biron or keeping Emery at this point in time (given the Flyers' current state), I'd keep Emery and hope it works out. Biron isn't having a good season at all and the Flyers can't afford to give anything up.


Last edited by Bort Sampson: 02-06-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Bort Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 07:51 PM
  #82
DickTony
Registered User
 
DickTony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West Chester, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,025
vCash: 500
No interest in Biron. If Emery is really hurt I wouldn't be opposed to Halak if the price is right. That, however, is a big if. I'm not convinced this is the year.

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 08:11 PM
  #83
FanHabtic
Registered User
 
FanHabtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedhed View Post
Can't we give them Briere & Emery for Halak? They wanted Briere so much that they even still boo him every time the Flyers play up in Montreal. If they want that over-priced/over-rated ex-Sabre so much, I say bon soir mon ami!
lol, sorry but was reading this thread but had to respond to Briere... Habs can't afford nor would they ever consider him after he pretty much dissed the organization after taking the Flyers offer (for less salary/term). Also, Habs have no need for another small forward who is under-performing compared to his salary.

I would think that Gainey would be after JVR in return for Halak but judging from the responses in here it sounds like JVR is untouchable. Therefore i think Halak and Price tandem is here to stay until the off-season when Gainey will address it. For now the only reason why we are competing for a playoff spot is the tandem of Halak/Price with emphasis on Halak's incredible play this season. Why change what is working (and keeping us alive)?

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 08:19 PM
  #84
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Milkman View Post
I understand and appreciate that insight, but that's from a historical perspective. There's a big difference between cognitive capabilities and cognitive functioning. Basically, there's too many confounding variables in assessing the accuracy of eye witness reports that you can't make a general statement about "the human brain" from varied history reports. Not to mention that the amount of people who actually give eye witness reports is such a small sample size that there's absolutely no way you can deduce the cognitive capabilities of a whole species based on qualitative knowledge gained from a select few.

But I will ask them, honestly. In my Cognitive Neuroscience class we've just finished up basic anatomy but we're more than likely starting to delve into the frontal lobes over the next week.
This isn't really about cognitive capabilities, it's the reality of what happens when you look at applied narrative memory. People have been leaving us eye witness reports as long as there has been a written record. It's a well known problem with lawyers. A friend of mine was in a criminal law class in Law School and, unannounced to the class, the professor had arranged a staged crime to take place in front of the entire room (someone entered the classroom and stole the bag of a girl in the front). The students then wrote a report on what they had witnessed...what do you find when you do this stuff? People are terrible eye witnesses.

This is even more complicated the further you get away from an event. For example, my adviser is about to publish a book about WWII that has numerous oral histories involved in it. After doing the interview and beginning to cross-reference the stories these guys were telling with objective facts (like, where the guy was), he discovered that most of these guys were telling him a story that they simply had no way of knowing. What does he think happened? The commanding officer had published his own account of the battle and these various guys had read that account and taken on elements of what he knew as part of their own experience.

Quote:
But back on topic, you really can't separate Biron's save percentage and goals against average from the rest of the Flyers' performance.
Well, you can and you can't. SVPCT is about the only statistic a goalie "controls". GAA is largely derived from team defense (I'm not separating that from team performance at all). There are certainly some factors that a team can do to help out SVPCT, but you're not going to swing that stat a ton.

SVPCT == Bating Average

GAA == RBIs

Quote:
Biron isn't having a good season at all.
Not uncommon for guys that get used to starting when they go to more of a backup role. He was doing pretty well with the Islanders until he stopped getting the same consistency in his starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonMTG View Post
No interest in Biron. If Emery is really hurt I wouldn't be opposed to Halak if the price is right. That, however, is a big if. I'm not convinced this is the year.
Halak is basically starting for Montreal now...I think that ship has sailed.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 08:46 PM
  #85
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Halak is basically starting for Montreal now...I think that ship has sailed.
How about Price?

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 08:47 PM
  #86
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
How about Price?
No idea what's going to happen there. Eklund is saying they're going to look to move him now... But the Halak on the table thing (which apparently was there for us) is no longer out there I don't think.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 08:48 PM
  #87
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,927
vCash: 5792
BTW Jester, I was looking something up from Niittymaki's games from last year that I just mentioned in another thread (hence making this coming comment a bit paradoxical or whatever), but the Calgary game last year, Niittymaki started. Biron replaced him and only gave up 1 goal.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 08:48 PM
  #88
FanHabtic
Registered User
 
FanHabtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
No idea what's going to happen there. Eklund is saying they're going to look to move him now... But the Halak on the table thing (which apparently was there for us) is no longer out there I don't think.
No sentence should ever begin with "Eklund is saying....". Just saying...

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 08:50 PM
  #89
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
BTW Jester, I was looking something up from Niittymaki's games from last year that I just mentioned in another thread (hence making this coming comment a bit paradoxical or whatever), but the Calgary game last year, Niittymaki started. Biron replaced him and only gave up 1 goal.
Ah, well, there ya go.

Feel bad for Biron...as he hit the UFA market at the worst possible time, and just got the shaft. Now he's going to be damaged goods from this season and it's going to be hard for him again next year.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:03 PM
  #90
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
How about Price?
He's a classic change-of-scenery case at this point. I'd roll the dice on him (though it probably won't happen until the summer). A .910 SV% at 22 years old is nothing to scoff at.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:50 PM
  #91
JackZap
Registered User
 
JackZap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
He's a classic change-of-scenery case at this point. I'd roll the dice on him (though it probably won't happen until the summer). A .910 SV% at 22 years old is nothing to scoff at.
I dont think Price is going anywhere unless Halak proves to them he can start 50-60 games and be dominant. He basically played the large part of his games without Markov and without a decent PP. Hes at .913, its not like he sucks. If they do trade him, I see him going out west.

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:08 AM
  #92
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Ah, well, there ya go.

Feel bad for Biron...as he hit the UFA market at the worst possible time, and just got the shaft. Now he's going to be damaged goods from this season and it's going to be hard for him again next year.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:40 AM
  #93
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,150
vCash: 500
I'd be fine with getting rid of Grahame, putting Leighton in the minors, and either sticking with what we have or getting Biron.

It's amazing how the fans and media in Philly always create a goalie controversy. Even when there isn't one. First Biron's not good enough and Emery's injury-prone. Right.

The closest thing we have to a goalie controversy is the Boucher/Leighton thing.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:07 PM
  #94
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Work salary...it's what you get for working.

If Emery had put together the season Biron did last year, you would have had to come up with a poster for him, too.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:13 PM
  #95
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Work salary...it's what you get for working.

If Emery had put together the season Biron did last year, you would have had to come up with a poster for him, too.
If he asked for 4-5 mil like Biron said (and everyone was saying he was asking for that. Even Homer hinted towards it), I would 100% be against Emery too. Both of them are exactly at the same level of play, and both of them dont deserve anything higher then 4 mil. Oh and if Homer really thought Biron was essential to this team, he would have signed him (and this "no he couldnt because of the salary cap" is complete bs. Any Gm can make trades.)

Do you honestly believe he was worht that much money? Like truely believe?

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:19 PM
  #96
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
If he asked for 4-5 mil like Biron said (and everyone was saying he was asking for that. Even Homer hinted towards it), I would 100% be against Emery too. Both of them are exactly at the same level of play, and both of them dont deserve anything higher then 4 mil.
And that's all fine and good, but that's not greed...that's asking for equal pay for the job you're doing. In his two years with the Flyers, he was one of 5 goalies in the league to have consecutive .915 SVPCT. While I agree that he isn't the hottest thing since sliced bread, $4-5M isn't a ridiculous request for a guy expecting to be paid like a proven starting goalie.

I mean, at your job, do you request a lower salary than the guy doing the same job in another department/company?

Now, we couldn't afford that with Biron unless Holmgren was going to restructure this team's salary structure. Obviously he had no interest in doing that, and went for a bargain basement goalie instead. One of my biggest aggravations in the whole Biron/Emery/Someone else stuff has nothing to do with Emery over Biron, it's the belief that Biron's financial requests were ridiculous (look around the league, they were not if you look at what goalies make), and that Holmgren didn't really have other options (not saying you're advocating this). Holmgren owns the Emery decision. He signed him before July 1st, and then signed Boucher on the first day.

In retrospect, we could have done better with more patience. Not only would Biron's contract demands fallen considerably, but someone like Craig Anderson was someone I would have preferred to Emery if we were going to go that route.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:25 PM
  #97
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
And that's all fine and good, but that's not greed...that's asking for equal pay for the job you're doing. In his two years with the Flyers, he was one of 5 goalies in the league to have consecutive .915 SVPCT. While I agree that he isn't the hottest thing since sliced bread, $4-5M isn't a ridiculous request for a guy expecting to be paid like a proven starting goalie.

I mean, at your job, do you request a lower salary than the guy doing the same job in another department/company?

Now, we couldn't afford that with Biron unless Holmgren was going to restructure this team's salary structure. Obviously he had no interest in doing that, and went for a bargain basement goalie instead. One of my biggest aggravations in the whole Biron/Emery/Someone else stuff has nothing to do with Emery over Biron, it's the belief that Biron's financial requests were ridiculous (look around the league, they were not if you look at what goalies make), and that Holmgren didn't really have other options (not saying you're advocating this). Holmgren owns the Emery decision. He signed him before July 1st, and then signed Boucher on the first day.

In retrospect, we could have done better with more patience. Not only would Biron's contract demands fallen considerably, but someone like Craig Anderson was someone I would have preferred to Emery if we were going to go that route.

The thing is, I really think Gm's dont care about the whole "top 5 in sv%". If people did, I think people would have been all over him during free agency. You can say "he played the market wrong". But for a, considered by some, "very good starting goalie, thats top 5 in sv%" teams would have been jumping all over for him. Instead though, the last place team picks him up as a backup goalie to Roloston. I think Biron is getting alittle overvalued here.

Personally... I think it would have been foolish if Homer went and traded one of our forwards, just to sign Biron to that contract. I think most of us would be *****ing about it all the time.

Would you sign him to that contract?

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:34 PM
  #98
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
The thing is, I really think Gm's dont care about the whole "top 5 in sv%". If people did, I think people would have been all over him during free agency. You can say "he played the market wrong". But for a, considered by some, "very good starting goalie, thats top 5 in sv%" teams would have been jumping all over for him. Instead though, the last place team picks him up as a backup goalie to Roloston. I think Biron is getting alittle overvalued here.
Who knows what GMs care about. Holmgren stood in front of us last summer and told us that Laperriere was going to help this team on faceoffs.

As to what happened to Biron...it's what happens every year to someone in free agency, and goalies are at particular risk because there are only 30 spots for them as starters. There were only a few teams in the market for a starting goalie last year. We signed Emery. Khabi went to Edmonton. Anderson went to Colorado. Toronto already had Toskala and the "Monster" at that point. Roloson signed on the Island before Biron's contract came down...

Islanders signed Biron purely to trade him for an asset this year...which I assume they are still going to try and do. Which was a cheap investment for them, and hopefully they get a pick or something out of it.

Quote:
Personally... I think it would have been foolish if Homer went and traded one of our forwards, just to sign Biron to that contract. I think most of us would be *****ing about it all the time.
Whether it was for Biron (a known commodity that played well for us) or someone else, Holmgren is going to have to do it at some point. Look, I would really like this team to place greater emphasis on trying to find a young developing goalie (maybe they have it in their system). Biron was not and never would have been a franchise goaltender, but he was solid...and a really good teammate by all accounts.

Quote:
Would you sign him to that contract?
I would have signed him at 3-4M on a shorter term than I believe he wanted (2-3 years). So, 2 years 8M, or 3 years 9M would have been something I was very interested in.

What I absolutely would not have done is lock us into Emery in June without knowing what the free agent market was going to look like. But Holmgren has shown zero patience as a GM.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:39 PM
  #99
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
The thing is, I really think Gm's dont care about the whole "top 5 in sv%". If people did, I think people would have been all over him during free agency. You can say "he played the market wrong". But for a, considered by some, "very good starting goalie, thats top 5 in sv%" teams would have been jumping all over for him. Instead though, the last place team picks him up as a backup goalie to Roloston. I think Biron is getting alittle overvalued here.

Personally... I think it would have been foolish if Homer went and traded one of our forwards, just to sign Biron to that contract. I think most of us would be *****ing about it all the time.

Would you sign him to that contract?
I'm sorry, our GM in recent years has...

- Traded high picks for Jim Vandermeer and Jaroslav Modry.
- Refused to fire our pathetic head coach until it was too late.
- The Randy Jones debacle.
- Given out NTCs right and left which impairs our ability to make any kind of trade.
- Signed a goalie who's played less than 40 games in either of the previous 2 years and expected him to be our starter.
- Signed a backup who hasn't had success in more than 20 games for nearly a decade.
- Traded away high draft picks like they're candy.

I don't exactly have a high opinion of his GMing capability right now.

EDIT: I should add that it was a terrible market for goalies last year. Colorado, us, and EDM were the only teams that really needed one, Colorado went for Anderson, we went for Emery, EDM went for Khabibulin.

A smart GM would have realized the way the market looked and waited for Biron to back down.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:44 PM
  #100
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I'm sorry, our GM in recent years has...

- Traded high picks for Jim Vandermeer and Jaroslav Modry.
- Refused to fire our pathetic head coach until it was too late.
- The Randy Jones debacle.
- Given out NTCs right and left which impairs our ability to make any kind of trade.
- Signed a goalie who's played less than 40 games in either of the previous 2 years and expected him to be our starter.
- Signed a backup who hasn't had success in more than 20 games for nearly a decade.
- Traded away high draft picks like they're candy.

I don't exactly have a high opinion of his GMing capability right now.

EDIT: I should add that it was a terrible market for goalies last year. Colorado, us, and EDM were the only teams that really needed one, Colorado went for Anderson, we went for Emery, EDM went for Khabibulin.

A smart GM would have realized the way the market looked and waited for Biron to back down.


Or signed Anderson and re-sign Knuble.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.