Notices

Town Hall Meeting

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2010, 08:51 AM
flerd_trandle

vCash: 500
Town Hall Meeting

Is anyone going to make it to the Town Hall tongiht? I'm not going to be able to go. I'm curious about the spin DW is going o put on this, or if he's going to do the honorable thing and resign.

Old
02-06-2010, 09:45 AM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

I wish everyone would go in and turn the chairs around 180 degrees.

Question 1:
"Don, we've lost the "face of the franchise" three times when Heatley, Hossa, and Kovy left. Your "can't lose" goaltender Kari was damaged goods, as was your first ever draft pick, Patrick Stefan. Now, the fans are left with one "face" and that's you. This franchise is 10 years stale, marketing sucks, fans won't even show up when you give tickets away; you are the one constant. Why don't the owners care enough to fire you?"

Question 2:
Don, how can you complain about a low budget when teams with the same budget limits-- Buffalo and Nashville-- are able to provide fans with exciting competitive teams year after year? Doesn't that point directly to player selection and coaching?

Question 3:
Can we please talk to Rick Dudley instead of you?

Old
02-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Jerdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky17 View Post
Why don't the owners care enough to fire you?"
Appearantly the actual owners suck as well. Don Waddel Sucks, John Anderson sucks, the owners of Spirit suck. My dad and friends told me that the same thing is happening with the hawks, (except the hawks are good). Their star player may be traded because they havent been able to work a deal, but their trade is farther away i believe so maybe not.

everything about the thrashers sucks except the actual team. (and the sick jerseys/logos/phillip's arena/cotton candy at games)

Old
02-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Sabreality

Quote:
I wish everyone would go in and turn the chairs around 180 degrees.

Question 1:
"Don, we've lost the "face of the franchise" three times when Heatley, Hossa, and Kovy left. Your "can't lose" goaltender Kari was damaged goods, as was your first ever draft pick, Patrick Stefan. Now, the fans are left with one "face" and that's you. This franchise is 10 years stale, marketing sucks, fans won't even show up when you give tickets away; you are the one constant. Why don't the owners care enough to fire you?"

Question 2:
Don, how can you complain about a low budget when teams with the same budget limits-- Buffalo and Nashville-- are able to provide fans with exciting competitive teams year after year? Doesn't that point directly to player selection and coaching?

Question 3:
Can we please talk to Rick Dudley instead of you?

Old
02-06-2010, 10:18 AM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerdn View Post
Appearantly the actual owners suck as well. Don Waddel Sucks, John Anderson sucks, the owners of Spirit suck. My dad and friends told me that the same thing is happening with the hawks, (except the hawks are good). Their star player may be traded because they havent been able to work a deal, but their trade is farther away i believe so maybe not.

everything about the thrashers sucks except the actual team. (and the sick jerseys/logos/phillip's arena/cotton candy at games)
They haven't sold cotton candy at any games this year, and Phillips Arena is in disrepair. Have you walked the floor between the 100's and 200's? It's cheap linoleum roll that has buckles and tears all over the place. Seats are broken, stairs on the pull-out sections are safety hazards because they are loosely assembled and collapse on a nightly basis. And that's just a starter....

The owners absolutely suck, but they also could care less. They couldn't afford the teams in the first place but daddy Ted used lawyers to finagle the toys to his son's group. They were found guilty of bad practices and had to pay the guy from Texas (David McDavid).

Old
02-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Jerdn

Quote:
They haven't sold cotton candy at any games this year,.
fire the management

I used to go to a lot of games, havent been to any this year though. Im going to the game tonight, and then the Rangers game in March, and the devils game in April. im excited

Old
02-06-2010, 10:30 AM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Quote:
fire the management

I used to go to a lot of games, havent been to any this year though. Im going to the game tonight, and then the Rangers game in March, and the devils game in April. im excited

PS... DON'T buy the popcorn! I guess it's a money saving thing not to use any salt or popcorn butter-grease to cook it in. The stuff tastes like those styrofoam peanuts you pack boxes with! And they have the gall to sell "re-fillable" tubs of it!!

Best bet is to go to the Designated Driver stand near 119 and get a coupon for a free coke. They have to pay the vendors for the product and pay someone to sell it. Spill it somewhere so that they have to pay someone to clean it up.

REMEMBER THE MOTTO:

YES WE CAN!

Old
02-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Shameus

Quote:
They haven't sold cotton candy at any games this year, and Phillips Arena is in disrepair. Have you walked the floor between the 100's and 200's? It's cheap linoleum roll that has buckles and tears all over the place. Seats are broken, stairs on the pull-out sections are safety hazards because they are loosely assembled and collapse on a nightly basis. And that's just a starter....

The owners absolutely suck, but they also could care less. They couldn't afford the teams in the first place but daddy Ted used lawyers to finagle the toys to his son's group. They were found guilty of bad practices and had to pay the guy from Texas (David McDavid).
Yes, but the team would probably be in another city if he had be given ownership though.

Old
02-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Jerdn

okay ill take that in mind

i just want hockey to stay in atlanta

Old
02-06-2010, 10:39 AM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameus View Post
Yes, but the team would probably be in another city if he had be given ownership though.
This was early in the franchise's history. Phillips arena and parking was part of the package. Bettman was in charge and perhaps we'd had been the first franchise to get his help instead of Phoenix and Tampa. All water under the bridge now I guess.

I agree in the end that I'd rather have crap on ice that is guaranteed to be here. THat's the big sad question.

Old
02-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Toque-trick

Quote:
okay ill take that in mind

i just want hockey to stay in atlanta
The Glads aren't going anywhere anytime soon....

Old
02-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Ashe

I blame the ASG over the management. in the begining stages of the owner mayhem, DW and anyone couldnt do a thing, a move, or a signing. They had no money to do anything, because the groups (Whose the bad guy again?) Wouldnt let them do anything. The good group finally realized to lobby for what we need for this team, and its slowly happened.

You guys honestly cant keep blaming DW for the kovy thing. You guys cant blame him for the past 2-3 years. He's done a fine job.

When your choice is handcuffing your franchise for 12 years, or getting more wiggle room. You choose the wiggle room. He's made some good signings. White and Kozzy were excellent last year, and this year everyone wants their heads. John Anderson was working a system where our "star" would prefer to skate at the blue line" it become reduntdant and people caught on to our plan during that losing streak.

Old
02-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Jerdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toque-trick View Post
The Glads aren't going anywhere anytime soon....
true dat

Old
02-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Magnus Fulgur

Chucky17, question #2 about Nashville is the one that is the most useful, because I think that's exactly what DW and Dudley are now trying to do post-Kovalchuk.

Old
02-06-2010, 11:50 AM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
Chucky17, question #2 about Nashville is the one that is the most useful, because I think that's exactly what DW and Dudley are now trying to do post-Kovalchuk.
in that case, Question 3 is the one to ask. Waddell MUST go just to satisfy the as of yet, "non-paying" customer. Season ticket holders have spoken with their absence. The fan club spoke with their presence in Nashville.

Change needs to happen if only for change sake in this case. The cancer must be cut out. Ten years is enough even if DW becomes Man of the Planet, he must do so elsewhere. People have tuned him out, much like the team tuned out Hartley.

Old
02-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Telfo
THRASHERS

any updates on what was said?

Old
02-06-2010, 11:00 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfo View Post
any updates on what was said?
Hey ya'll! Just back from Phillips Arena! Guess what?? There was a REAL NHL quality hockey game tonight, and OUR TEAM was one of them!!!! Ha! I'm soooooo giddy! It was awesome! First really really fun night all season!

Great crowd and yes, everyone there (except for the drunken corporate geeks in front of us) knew who the "new guys" were and knew that Kovy was gone.....

Anyways, the town hall was exciting if not awkward for a while.

Levenson and Peskowitz and the President of Phillips Arena were all there. They let DW take the heat for most of the night.

Gotta give it to Waddell, he was pretty funny and self-depricating about himself and the team. If you have already heard about the Q&A, then pass the rest of my post, if not, I'll give some info.....

Valabik tore his ACL. He's toast for the year.
Bus ride was supposed to be 120 miles outta DC this morning to Richmond. It took until 2:00 or so. They left at 9 am. Waddell made a joke to Bergfors...he said, "welcome to Atlanta Thrashers."
The airport had one de-ice truck and 4 planes waiting. At 4:00, the airport was going to shut down, the team plane made a Kamikazi run to get off the ground before that.

Don talked to Grossman as early as April to get a feel for negotiations. He went to Kovy's house in June. They discussed who Kovy wanted DW to sign during free agency and who he wanted to trade for. It was totally Kovy's team. Money never came up. Kovy wanted to wait until the season started to decide about signing.

You all probably know the rest, nothing new.
The questions were really harsh with just one guy asking why the sausages were smaller at the arena this year!
One guy actually asked my first question in the Town Hall thread. Don, you are the face of the franchise, why do you suck....not his exact words, but that's what it was.

Waddell admitted mistakes were made. He totally misread Kovy. It was all about money and if he had known that early on, he would have probably traded him early.

He basically said firmly that Kari is as good as gone as soon as someone calls to see if they can have him. He didn't name names but he joked (and was funny) about how the guy that hasn't played is going to be the odd man out. He said seriously that the guys don't feel like they can count on him anymore. Hedberg is the room leader now along with Hainsey (nice fight by Hainsey tonight!). The bench went crazy.

He's talking to Kubina's agent already. He sat down with Armstrong last week and wants very much to resign both. Army may be the tougher sell (My guess based on his tone).

He hedged on Afinogenov. Said he had bigger offers from the KHL and took our offer instead. He said Max knows he is needed down the stretch and if he steps up (like tonight) he will consider making an offer to him.

DW did mention Moose was on the list of guys that needed to be re-signed too. Someone yelled Slater, DW said there was an order of priority.

Cormier was Dudley's choice and will be given every opportunity to be on the big club next year. I don't remember exactly, but I think DW said he would be in the lineup next year.

He mentioned that it was important to restructure the team as a team, not individuals, then he humorously caught himself and said, "well you guys like Dudley better so I'll tell you that HE thinks we should restructure the team....." That got a good laugh.

He said that if Kovy is unsigned on July 1, he would definitely call him.
The guys in the room are stepping up and talking more, taking more initiative and the atmosphere is very, very relieved. They were glad there were "changes" made.

Waddell was very complimentary of Kovy, but also mixed in about how the team was now happier? ( They showed it for sure tonight)

The crowd was incredible. They gave the new guys a standing ovation. People tried to get a BERGIE chant going after he scored. The kid was grinning ear to ear, especially at the end of the game when he was announced first star. He's going to be money the more comfortable he gets. He was tentative to shoot for the first period, plus.

Oduya was the 3rd star and he came out and applauded the crowd.

It was quite the lovefest for the team tonight. It was loud all night

OH YA.....someone asked about the coach not preparing the team to play 60 mins. DW agreed that he hated sitting and watching that and they have had many talks about it. He said he would just keep talking and keep us all down in the meeting until the end of the first period because we all knew it would be 2-0 at the end of it. (HOW RIGHT THAT TURNED OUT TO BE! lol).

Then Levenson spoke about getting letters and emails and info that people weren't going to buy tickets until DW was fired. (He sounded much different than the last time he put his foot in his mouth about telling people to get over it). He actually sounded concilliatory (spelling?) when he spoke! He said that he knew attendance would get better if he fires Don but he's known DW for a long time, trusts him, and wants to learn with him. That's why they hired Dudley to scout talent. (Actually, DW seemed much more relaxed tonight and maybe that's because all he has to do now is be the front man).

Levenson said he had no problem firing the Hawks GM and the new guy set about rebuilding the bball team. He wants to do the same with the hockey team and said that if he wasn't serious about hockey making it in Atlanta, he wouldn't have offered Kovalchuk 101 million dollars. With the $48 mil. they already paid him, he'd had made 149 mil. in his years here.

The 101 mil. is more than any of the Hawks contracts are worth. (That is actually impressive considering Bball gets TV money.).

At one point, someone was asking DW a question about how serious the owners were about keeping a team here and during the question, I noticed Levenson (who was standing near the wall at the time) actually bristled and shook his head, like "No, we DO CARE."

Anyways, the Town Hall actually gave a more positive outlook on the intentions that the franchise will exist here. That's what I was looking for. The gobbledy gook about the Kovy stuff didn't interest me, it was still bumbled and people let Don know it, that was good.

Well, that's enough of me, if you have other questions, ask and I'll let you know what else there was.....

Last edited by ThrasherMinion: 02-06-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old
02-06-2010, 11:12 PM
fatschoonerrat

Quote:
[Lots and lots about the town hall]
Seriously awesome and way above and beyond summary. Thank you.

But you spelled y'all wrong. j/k.

Old
02-06-2010, 11:13 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatschoonerrat View Post
Seriously awesome and way above and beyond summary. Thank you.

But you spelled y'all wrong. j/k.
lol, I'm from NORTH Atlanta! That's how we-uns larnt it!

Glad you enjoyed the update, my fingers are bleeding, lol.

PS....we knew the Town Hall would be vicious when THRASH came out and no one cared. He even ran over and hugged DW to start things off. Funny tho that they sent both Thrash and Dan Kamal to warm up the house!

Old
02-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Telfo
THRASHERS

very interesting stuff.

i totally agree about the crowd, that was the best crowd in a long time and it seems like the Kovy dark cloud is gone

Old
02-06-2010, 11:17 PM
Aaronxxx

nice overview of the meeting

Old
02-06-2010, 11:25 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

oh ya, some other rememberings...

Levenson is from Washington but comes down for most of the hockey games. He stays in the apartment complex that Valabik lives in and joked that Boris leaves the weight machines loaded up in the complex's gym. He said, "I'm not Arthur Blank, I don't sit on the sidelines, but I am interested."

Waddell added that Levenson sits most 3rd periods up in Don's box discussing things and they talk all the time about hockey. Levenson joked that if anyone buys a box for the last 12 home games, he would go up and spend the games in their box and talk hockey with them. Another pretty good laugh.

FINALLY......At the town hall meeting, Waddell said that their were only 3 teams that offered anything and Dudley pretty much had the final say in what was accepted. Interesting how the personnel stuff is being handed over. "And God said, it was good."

Last edited by ThrasherMinion: 02-06-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old
02-06-2010, 11:25 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

The dragged Kamal out for it? Makes sense, I would wager he is the most popular member or the non-player Thrashers org.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
02-06-2010, 11:28 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

I love the Kamalian. He didn't say, "a Hearty Hockey Hello" tonight tho.

Old
02-06-2010, 11:45 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Quote:

The crowd was incredible. They gave the new guys a standing ovation. People tried to get a BERGIE chant going after he scored. The kid was grinning ear to ear, especially at the end of the game when he was announced first star. He's going to be money the more comfortable he gets. He was tentative to shoot for the first period, plus.

Oduya was the 3rd star and he came out and applauded the crowd
Glad to hear that Bergie and Oduya had a good game. Like I said on Thursday, you'll love those guys. Bergie should blossom there because he really excels when he plays with a good center, which you guys seem to have a few of. If he builds up some confidence he can go on a tear.

Johnny is great as well. Devils fans really fell in love with him when he was called out for the three stars in his second season and he tugged on the crest of his jersey. Total team player.

Closed Thread