HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why Ovechkin is so popular???

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2003, 04:54 PM
Habs4ever

vCash: 500
Why Ovechkin is so popular???

In reallity even if we tank this season we still won't finish with first overall pick, so why do posters assume if we have bad season we'll land Ovechckin or try to land Ovechkin chances are team finishing second overall won't even have tempting enough offer for team like pittsuberg to swap picks, something i'm noticing, there are 30 teams you know and us landing first pick are very very small!!!

Old
09-24-2003, 05:08 PM
Corey

The impatient folks are looking for a savior (Ovechkin? Crosby?). Perhaps they'll sober up when they realize that the Penguins didn't even make the playoffs in the first three years after Mario Lemieux's arrival, and they missed out again in his fifth year. Their first cup came in Mario's seventh season.

Old
09-24-2003, 05:37 PM
sundaystar

Only the bottom 4 teams at the end of the season have a chance at getting the first overall pick. When i say we MIGHT tank the year i am refering to the fact we don't have a Stanley cup contending team. The team is just starting to implement young players and i don't expect alot(i hope i am proven wrong). As long as the team plays with heart i am happy even if we finish the year in last. We are 3 games into the preseason and some posters are already *****ing about the team. Its not even the season yet.

As for OV I have seen him play and the kid is amasing but he is still not guarnteed to go first overall. One player is not going to win u the cup and every star player needs a good supporting cast.

Old
09-24-2003, 05:49 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

I'm not a fan of the "tank the season" conception. With the lotery, it makes it that much useless. And there will be excellent players again this year in the top-10. Even more interesting, most of those potential top-10 are big physical power-forwards.

examples (aside from the obvious #1):

- Evgeni Malkin (C) 6-3/205 (pure power-forward)

- Rostislav Olesz (C) 6-2/205 (power-forward, nasty mean streak, leader, defensively aware, compared to Holik, hard worker, complete package)

- Rob Schremp (C) 6-1/200 (very strong, gritty, scoring playmaker)

- Adam Pineault (RW) 6-3/200 (power forward, defensively aware, hard hitter, soft hands, a surefire top-10)

- Lauri Tukonen (RW/C) 6-2/195 (power-forward, fast, strong, defensively aware)

- Drew Stafford (RW) 6-2/200 (hard-working warior, good speed)

- Lukas Kaspar LW 6-2/190 (gritty, agressive, soft hands)

- Joe Barnes LC 6-3/190 (fast, mean streak, grinder, compared to Thornton in style)

- Evan McGrath LC 6-1/180 (speedster, power-forward, playmaker)

- Kevin Mailhiot LW 6-1/185 (very strong, gritty, sniper)

That's 10 guys right there that will likely be drafted in the 1st round and are all big and strong physical forwards that could help round up our already impressive talent pool (the final touch if you will, with a Gainey type of player). The future does not lie in ONE franchise player but a load of talented players.

Gainey will not accept that we just deliberetelly suck all year to draft low.

Old
09-24-2003, 06:07 PM
mcphee

When I saw the thread title , I knew the obvious answer. Because he puts out on the first date.

Old
09-24-2003, 06:07 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

I would love to see Barker in the habs uniform. Schremp, Malkin and Ovechkin all look like good picks to me. They will bring different aspect IMO. Like Schremp could turn into a Thornton-like player, Ovechkin into a star, Malkin into a premier power forward and Barker another #1 dman... The perfect scenario would be that we finnish bottom #4-5 this year, then pick a guy like Barker and then there's no hockey the year after and for the 2005 draft they re-do a lottery and we win it!

Old
09-24-2003, 06:12 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Ovechkin isn't even 18 yet (or just turned anyday now) and he's in the RSL doing well. He's got sick talent and whoever gets him is one lucky team.

I don't see us getting 1st overall or making the playoffs, but if we get say 6th overall, we could trade up for a heavy price. The idea of Kastsitsyn Ovechkin Perezhogin on the same line is mind boggling.

Old
09-24-2003, 06:15 PM
Tazzjayz

I can dream of!!!

Komisarek the pass to Markov, Markov leves it to Perezhogin, quick pass to Kastitsyn, Kastitsyn with the puck, he shoots, no he fakes the back pass to Ovechkin shoot scoreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
09-24-2003, 07:10 PM
Habsolument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazzjayz
I can dream of!!!

Komisarek the pass to Markov, Markov leves it to Perezhogin, quick pass to Kastitsyn, Kastitsyn with the puck, he shoots, no he fakes the back pass to Ovechkin shoot scoreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!!!!!!!!!!!!
How about an all-russian PP line:
Kastsytsin-Ovechkin-Perezhogin
Korneev-Markov

Old
09-24-2003, 07:24 PM
nilan1

I do not want Montreal to tank the season. I like to think that Montreal has more integrety then Quebec,Pittsburg and Ottawa to purposly lose to get a high pick. Those teams are the reason that the draft is a lottery. Besides there is no guarenty we will win the lottery i.e. Caralina. and not only that the NHL would for the first time go after a team for doing such a thing and we would end lossing picks and being fined. I want Montreal to work hard this season may be a long one but we lost a lot of games by one goal and missed the playoffs by 6points we could still compete for 6th to 8th place but we as fans have to except that we are rebuilding and will take a couple of yrs for this team to make noise.

Old
09-24-2003, 08:20 PM
habsfan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument
How about an all-russian PP line:
Kastsytsin-Ovechkin-Perezhogin
Korneev-Markov

maybe we can be like the red wings were, loads of russian talent
hehe, we'll dream for now

Old
09-24-2003, 09:31 PM
tinyzombies

If we sit through a season where we cannot score a goal to save our lives (which I fear is on the way), then we'll deserve a high pick. But tanking is not a consideration for les b-b-r.

Old
09-25-2003, 03:46 AM
Bob Bastards

Here my dream...
-We tank the season.
-Finnish last behind the Penguins (is it even possible?).
-Get the first overall pick.
-Draft Ovechkin.
-The next year, after a thunder training camp, he start in the Habs lineup.
-The first match, after scoring 2 goals, Tie Domi check him in the knee.
-Result: is knee is ****** up, is career finish or we end up with a big russian with one leg. Total point for Ovechkin after 3 season before retirement: 20g 40pts 12pm.
-Since we suck so much, people stop filling the Bell Center and not a damn free agent want to sign with us.
-Gillette sell the team to Loria and we end up with the worst team in the league for another 10 year...

Does this scenario sound good for you? I am so sick of hearing people who want to tank the season and draft an 18 year old kid, who never skate in NA. Draft is like a lottery. Some day you win, some day you lose. You just have to win more often then you lose and you will do great. Tanking a season to get draft pick is stupid so stop mentioning it...

Old
09-25-2003, 04:23 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob ********
Here my dream...
-We tank the season.
-Finnish last behind the Penguins (is it even possible?).
-Get the first overall pick.
-Draft Ovechkin.
Your logic is flawed. Finishing last doesn't guarentee the 1st overall pick. There's a lottery for it between the 4 bottom teams. Carolina finished last the previous season and they ended up with the 2nd overall choice.

What good is it to try and finish last when doing so only gives you 1/4 chances (I know it's actually a little more) to get Ovechkin? If the sole purpose of the exercise is to get him, I think we'd look quite foolish if we didn't get the 1st overall.

That's the reason why the NHL decided to introduce the lottery people. To avoid that some teams decide to make a run for mediocrity just to land a rare talent (Ovechkin this year, Crosby the next).

EDIT - typo

Old
09-25-2003, 04:48 AM
Bob Bastards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Your logic is flawed. Finishing last doesn't guarentee the 1st overall pick. There's a lottery for it between the 4 bottom teams. Carolina finished last the previous season and they ended up with the 2nd overall choice.

What good is it to try and finish last when doing so only gives you 1/4 chances (I know it's actually a little more) to get Ovechkin? If the sole purpose of the exercise is to get him, I think we'd look quite foolish if we didn't get the 1st overall.

That's the reason why the NHL decided to introduce the lottery people. To avoid that some teams decide to make a run for mediocrity just to land a rare talent (Ovechkin this year, Crosby the next).

EDIT - typo
I know there is a lottery. That was not the point of my post. Even if we win the lottery, for me its stupid to tank the season to get a good draft pick. I doesn't make sense.You can draft the second coming of Mario Lemieux and he can end up a bust (does anobody remember Daigle?) or you can draft a late round gem (Serigei Fedorov, 4th round, 74 overall).

Old
09-25-2003, 04:53 AM
Cyclops II*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen

EDIT - typo
It still gives you the best chance at first overall and at a worst the 2nd pick overall. Even in a year where there is a comsensus #1 the #2 may be almost as valuable a la Kovalchuk, Spezza and Gaborik, Heatley.

The Pittsburgh and Montreal situations are different. Montreal has a solid base of young talent and needs the final pieces while Lemieux was one of the first pieces of the puzzle for Pittsburgh.

Old
09-25-2003, 05:07 AM
Corey

IMO, that's an oversimplification, Munchausen, because 1) Lemieux in his youth might be the worth of up to five young Habs of today, and 2) the veterans on the Habs are not THAT outstanding, while the Penguins had a few decent NHL players in the years they were out of the playoffs. After all, they were not a brand new expansion team in the 1980s (they entered the league in the 1967-68 season).

Old
09-25-2003, 05:22 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob ********
I know there is a lottery. That was not the point of my post. Even if we win the lottery, for me its stupid to tank the season to get a good draft pick. I doesn't make sense.You can draft the second coming of Mario Lemieux and he can end up a bust (does anobody remember Daigle?) or you can draft a late round gem (Serigei Fedorov, 4th round, 74 overall).
Sorry about that. I misread your post (or read it too fast). Either way, you're right it doesn't make sense (anymore) to tank a season to land a 1st overall.

Old
09-25-2003, 05:26 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
IMO, that's an oversimplification, Munchausen, because 1) Lemieux in his youth might be the worth of up to five young Habs of today, and 2) the veterans on the Habs are not THAT outstanding, while the Penguins had a few decent NHL players in the years they were out of the playoffs. After all, they were not a brand new expansion team in the 1980s (they entered the league in the 1967-68 season).
So? Are you saying there's no way we'll be able to become a contender unless we land a 1st overall? People put way too much amphasis on the franchise player, DA savior that will rise up and crush the other teams for us. A team with loads of talent in front of the net, on the 3 D pairings and on the 3 1st lines doesn't need Joe Thornton to win the cup. And two years ago, Theodore was labeled as a franchise goalie. What if he returns to 2001 form? will that make the craving for a savior vanish once and for all?

Closed Thread