HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Inability to Score

Old
02-06-2010, 09:41 PM
chaosof99*

vCash: 500
The Inability to Score

Well, we apparently have a problem and it's the same problem we already had this season for a long time: The team can't buy a goal. An upgrade is at this point absolutely necessary. Practically all forwards are performing below expectations this season and JVR is not completely replacing Lupul and Upshall either, but nobody expected that.

The worst offenders are Hartnell (12 goals in 55 games) and Gagne (6 goals in 32 games) and as much as it pains me to say this but I think it is time to cut at least one of them loose.

The problem is that I just checked and in terms of wings there is absolutely nothing attractive on the market that is probably going to be available (turning free agent next season). All I can see is overpaid, aging rentals like Whitney and Kariya, plus the oft injured Selanne who at least has a decent cap-number. If we were to trade it would have to be for an established guy and without anything of real trade value this is going to be hard.

At this point the only thing we can really do is trade away Gagne and/or Hartnell for some 2nd line talent where we might strike an even deal or clear cap room and maybe go fishing for Kovalchuk in free agency, hoping he does not resign with the Devs.

I'm really wondering what could have been had we made a move for Heatley in the offseason too.

We're really lacking someone who can finish off some chances and I am growing sick and tired of losing one-goal decisions.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 09:48 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I posted this in the GDT, so I'll repost here.

Quote:
To add on to my previous post.

In an 11 game stretch dating back to Jan 14 (nearly a month) goaltenders have a .934 save percentage against us.

In a 14 game stretch from Nov. 25 to Dec. 21, goaltenders had a .949 save percentage against us.

This stuff doesn't happen to normal teams, right?

The high for a single goaltender in save percentage so far this year is .932.

So basically, the Flyers have gone for 2 separate months where they've faced goalies performing better than the highest save percentage in the NHL.
As much as we've struggled (and they need to start converting on rebounds), these 2 runs have simply been extraordinary bad luck.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 09:49 PM
Cleary84

It's really ****** that there is no one available.

Hartnell and Gagne are the ones that stick out the most with under performing, but it really is the WHOLE team.

I talked about it in the GDT, I'm extremely displeased with Richards...obviously this has been addressed before.

He isn't showing me anything. I have no confidence in him when he has the puck. I seriously think it's time to revamp the team and stop giving players their TOI just because of their name.

Giroux should be the number one center, JVR on the left and Briere on the right.

That's just me.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 09:54 PM
dedhed

Do you know how many players the Flyers have on the top 30 scorers in the league? None.

This team doesn't have a sniper within it's roster. Flyer fans are quick to complain when these facts are made, but it's the damn truth. I am a lifetime Flyers fan. I've been a fan since 1968, and this team is completely pathetic when it comes to offense.

I wouldn't have a single player on my protected list on the offensive side. Including everyones favourite: Richards!

I want to see some heads roll. I'd get rid of players like Briere and Gagne immediately, their best days are behind them.

dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 09:58 PM
FlyHigh

Again, look at the numbers, these guys have been exceedingly unlucky. I said the same thing during that streak last time, it's mind-boggling that it's happening again.

I think there's stuff they could be doing, need to be finishing off those pucks in front of the net (supposedly Hartnell's job, please trade him), but bottom line, they just gotta keep plugging, doesn't help that Leighton royally **** the bed tonight.

Old
02-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Joey Mac

i'm sick of richards and how everybody praises him... he hardly ever shoots the puck, he's always looking for the fancy pass... one thing he needs to realize is he's not a playmaker on the level of a crosby and will never be... he should just shoot the puck almost every chance he gets...

no one on this team should be untradebale... how many years are we gonna have bad stretches and barely make the playoffs? i know i'm sick of tired of it, i don't know about anyone else though

Joey Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Cleary84

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Again, look at the numbers, these guys have been exceedingly unlucky. I said the same thing during that streak last time, it's mind-boggling that it's happening again.

I think there's stuff they could be doing, need to be finishing off those pucks in front of the net (supposedly Hartnell's job, please trade him), but bottom line, they just gotta keep plugging, doesn't help that Leighton royally **** the bed tonight.
I know this thread isn't about goaltending but you have to admit after that great stretch he had, he was due for a bed ********.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:08 PM
CantSeeColors

Everyone grab your umbrellas, the sky is falling extraordinarily hard tonight.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:10 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleary84 View Post
It's really ****** that there is no one available.

Hartnell and Gagne are the ones that stick out the most with under performing, but it really is the WHOLE team.

I talked about it in the GDT, I'm extremely displeased with Richards...obviously this has been addressed before.

He isn't showing me anything. I have no confidence in him when he has the puck. I seriously think it's time to revamp the team and stop giving players their TOI just because of their name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Mac View Post
i'm sick of richards and how everybody praises him... he hardly ever shoots the puck, he's always looking for the fancy pass... one thing he needs to realize is he's not a playmaker on the level of a crosby and will never be... he should just shoot the puck almost every chance he gets...
I said this in the GDT, but I'll say it again here...the only reason the Flyers were in this game was Richards. He was all over the ice and was doing all that he could. I get annoyed with him too. I think he tries to do too much at times, but he has been put in the position of being one of the top 2 centers on the team. He's playing with dead weight on either side of him, and he's still getting incredibly close to putting up points.

It seemed like every good scoring chance tonight started with him. That pass when Carle was right in the slot was beautiful...Carle couldn't finish it. He also set both Hartnell and Gagne up. He took a shot that hit the post. On the short-handed 3-on-1 he made a great move but shot to the chest. He's played poorly in the past, but he's played pretty damn well recently. No help hurts.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
It's like we have a lot of pretty cool looking pieces from about 4 different puzzles and none of them wanna ****ing fit together.

Rant alert.

Gagne's hands suck anymore (Hate to ask it, but: punch drunk?).
Hartnell's got the Mcnabb mentality when it comes to passing: harder is better.
Richards acts like he is allergic to wrist shots (Giroux actually is legitimately allergic to wrist shots).

Another thing, how is it I always see Hartnell breaking out for the homerun pass instead of someone else? It seems like once a game I see his big ass rumbling and stumbling up the ice, with some normally slow d-man hawking him like Secretariat, only to have him cough it up as he crosses the goal line three feet to the side of the pipe.

GOD DAMN IT. Enough is enough already guys, We get it, you like sucking at offense. Can you snap out of it now? Damn it.

Done.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedhed View Post
Do you know how many players the Flyers have on the top 30 scorers in the league? None.

This team doesn't have a sniper within it's roster. Flyer fans are quick to complain when these facts are made, but it's the damn truth. I am a lifetime Flyers fan. I've been a fan since 1968, and this team is completely pathetic when it comes to offense.

I wouldn't have a single player on my protected list on the offensive side. Including everyones favourite: Richards!

I want to see some heads roll. I'd get rid of players like Briere and Gagne immediately, their best days are behind them.
Add Hartnell to the lst and tell us how? All 3 players have NTC, NMC.

I was hoping for Kovy deal where Flyers would have to give up one bad contract Briere and one of their top prospect or young player.

It did not happen.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 02-06-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:19 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
They're in the top half in goal differential. Things aren't too bad.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:19 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:

I hate to be overly contrary but:

I'll agree that both goals can be traced back to terrible mis-handling up the puck by Leighton. That said, he bailed them out some too. It wasn't a bad game from a back up goalie.

You don't get unlucky or snakebit for two month long stretches. There is more than bad luck at work here.

Old
02-06-2010, 10:23 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
They're in the top half in goal differential. Things aren't too bad.
The last 14 games, we havent been scoring goals. Its easy to be in the top half in goal scoring when, in the beginning, we were scoring 6+ on ****** teams.

Now we are playing ****** teams and not scoring goals. That "top half" is going to plummet downwards if we dont do something.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:24 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
I hate to be overly contrary but:

I'll agree that both goals can be traced back to terrible mis-handling up the puck by Leighton. That said, he bailed them out some too. It wasn't a bad game from a back up goalie.

You don't get unlucky or snakebit for two month long stretches. There is more than bad luck at work here.
Well first of all, it's two 1 month long stretches.

Second, you can absolutely get lucky/unlucky for long periods, look at Jim Carey.

Old
02-06-2010, 10:26 PM
dedhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Mac View Post

no one on this team should be untradebale... how many years are we gonna have bad stretches and barely make the playoffs? i know i'm sick of tired of it, i don't know about anyone else though
I'm right there with you Joey Mac! Richards-Carter-Briere-Hartnell-and Gagne should be on the trade block immediately! This team is disgusting to watch.

Other's constantly state that "they're having bad breaks...hitting posts, or having the puck hop over their sticks".......uh, let me point something out here. They're a streaky team at best, that doesn't put them in the elite of the league, that puts them in with the other mediocre teams. They're no better than teams like the Coyotes when it comes to competing for the Cup.

Other teams can work within the cap and make trades to better their team, why can't the Flyers? Holmgren.

I didn't like him as a player and I like him less as the GM.

This team is toast!

Old
02-06-2010, 10:27 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:

Second, you can absolutely get lucky/unlucky for long periods, look at Jim Carey.
The thing is, if we keep having these "unlucky" streets, we will have a difficult time making playoffs.

Old
02-06-2010, 10:30 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
So did the Caps sell their soul to the Devil? What makes them have so much luck?

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:32 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:

I should have put a comma after the word "two"......."two, month long stretches". One month long dry spell? I'll buy that it's bad luck. A second one in the same season? No sale.

Gagne and Hartnell aren't finishing, and Carter hasn't beat a goalie cleanly with his shot in I don't know how long.

Old
02-06-2010, 10:34 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

We are kinda losing our "but we have games in hand" excuse...

We better start scoring or its game over soon...

Old
02-06-2010, 10:42 PM
dedhed

Quote:
I should have put a comma after the word "two"......."two, month long stretches". One month long dry spell? I'll buy that it's bad luck. A second one in the same season? No sale.

Gagne and Hartnell aren't finishing, and Carter hasn't beat a goalie cleanly with his shot in I don't know how long.
Their offense is extremely over-rated. Flyer fans want to believe this team has what it takes to win the Cup. It's wishful thinking.

Their offense is just not a talented group, and they have no leader. There is no player on that offense that causes the opposition to cower in fear of scoring. There are no snipers within that group. They are a bunch of "dump-n-chase" players who succeed mainly when they crowd the net and get a chip in goal. They work on the outside constantly, but rarely show any true threat in the slot.

They are a very predictable team to defend against because they don't possess any true threatening players (and I'm not talking about fighting here).

Old
02-06-2010, 10:43 PM
FanHabtic

What is the deal with Carter? How does he go from a 40+ goal scorer to snake-bitten?

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:45 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
There is more than bad luck at work here.
Dittos.

And now we can rule out Coaching, System, Accountability, and Conditioning.

There's only one thing left: players.

The goaltending is subpar. Defense 4, 5, and 6 are huge weaknesses. Gagne is played out, like Chris Drury, only the Flyers play their played out fella on a first line. Briere is a non-factor. Hartnell is dumb. Carter is streaky. Richards is not a number one center. Giroux is not ready. The 3rd and 4th lines are what they are, effective in that role but not able to step up with regularity.

This is a middle of the pack roster.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:46 PM
dedhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post

We are kinda losing our "but we have games in hand" excuse...

We better start scoring or its game over soon...
Okay, they're in competition with the teams on that list, but do you really think they have a snowball's chance in hell of beating teams like NJ or Pittsburgh, or Washington? If you think they do, maybe you could give me a hit of what you've been smoking! This team doesn't have enough talent to compete with the better teams.

Old
02-06-2010, 10:47 PM
chaosof99*

Sorry, I don't by the "they're just unlucky" excuse either, because being dependent on luck is a problem in an of itself!

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote