HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Red Wings Mid-Season Prospect Rankings [#3]

View Poll Results: #3 Red Wings Prospect
(F) Joakim Andersson 0 0%
(F) Cory Emmerton 0 0%
(F) Landon Ferraro 3 8.82%
(F) Jan Mursak 9 26.47%
(F) Gustav Nyquist 5 14.71%
(F) Mattias Ritola 1 2.94%
(D) Adam Almqvist 0 0%
(D) Brendan Smith 16 47.06%
(G) Daniel Larsson 0 0%
(G) Thomas McCollum 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-04-2010, 10:51 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Smith, add, uh, Nicastro? Coetzee?

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:06 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

vCash: 500
Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Smith

add Nestrasil..

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 09:31 AM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Smith, add, uh, Nicastro? Coetzee?
Coetzee is #4
Posted via Mobile Device

GT500x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 02:35 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
sure, but some players takes longer and have to develop other aspects than scoring first.
tatar's easy transition to NA is a very good thing. no doubt about it. but what does it tell us about his future and his upside?

it's hard to compare his development to players who are in juniors right now and maybe working on defense or something else.

don't get me wrong, i'm glad tatar is doing fine, but it doesn't necessarily mean he's climbing on the depth chart or getting ahead of others. ferraro for example is stuck in juniors. unlike tatar he can't show how ready he is. so i just don't think ferraro was leapfrogged by tatar.
I get what you're saying and I don't disagree with any of it. I don't think Tatar leapfrogged Ferraro either, but that's mostly because I don't think Tatar was ever really behind him. Like you mentioned in an earlier post, just because one kid was drafted after another by the same team doesn't mean the team ranks the second kid lower. I think that's largely the case with Ferraro/Tatar.

I do think Tatar has pulled ahead of Ferraro though. You asked about future and upside. Well, I think Tatar's upside is known. And Ferraro's. And most other high picks. It's just a matter of whether they realize it or not. And I think Tatar's success in the AHL makes it more likely he realizes his.

I think there are a number of tests each prospect needs to pass to be successful. Tatar is in the midst of passing a big one. You're right, Ferraro can't help not being in the AHL and not getting a chance to take that same test right now. That doesn't damage his future outlook in any way, but, at the same time, we don't know if he'll pass that test or not. Meanwhile, Tatar is passing it. Tatar has proven more and is more likely to reach his upside, since he is closer that Ferraro to reaching it. That's the difference. Imo.

I have no problem with people who think Ferraro will be the better NHL player though. Prospects are a highly subjective subject

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Fugu

vCash:
I guess my question was based on going into the draft where some were surprised that Ferraro was still available by the times the Wings drafted. They were able to trade down with Tampa [to help them get the guy they wanted] and double up later, but let's not forget how highly Ferraro was rated.

I know people scout NA more heavily, which perhaps makes it that much harder to break through the list of NA draft prospects too.

Old
02-06-2010, 09:00 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Just got a report back from Camp Randall.

The guys loved him. He kind of took over the game at the end, scoring twice for the Badgers. He was not considered a defensive liability, btw.

http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...cc4c03286.html

Quote:
Brendan Smith scored on a power play with 1 minute, 22 seconds left to lift the University of Wisconsin men's hockey team to a 3-2 victory over Michigan at the Camp Randall Hockey Classic.
Smith, a junior winger, had scored the tying goal on another UW power play just over four minutes earlier.

Old
02-06-2010, 11:00 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Smith did indeed have a good defensive game. Was out of position a couple times, but overall pretty good. Tonight was the exception to the rule for him though

Old
02-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Smith did indeed have a good defensive game. Was out of position a couple times, but overall pretty good. Tonight was the exception to the rule for him though

All the more reason to get him up here for some mentoring.

Old
02-06-2010, 11:18 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
All the more reason to get him up here for some mentoring.
I agree. I think if he were to go back to Madison for his final year, it would be a waste, from a hockey POV. I'm not sure how serious he is about his education, but you usually hear about kids who really want to finish (like Nyquist), and I haven't heard anything from the Smith camp regarding that. I expect him to be in GR next season, which I think is the best path for him.

Old
02-06-2010, 11:43 PM
FabricDetails

Quote:
I agree. I think if he were to go back to Madison for his final year, it would be a waste, from a hockey POV. I'm not sure how serious he is about his education, but you usually hear about kids who really want to finish (like Nyquist), and I haven't heard anything from the Smith camp regarding that. I expect him to be in GR next season, which I think is the best path for him.
Smith-Lashoff for GR. Not bad eh?

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 10:56 PM
FabricDetails

Quote:
Defensively though, would it be too soon for Smith to play in the AHL? I wouldn't want him to get overwhelmed with minuses and lose confidence.

EDIT: BTW, saw Smith try to pull the "Heisman" pose after his first goal. Looked a little gay on him.

Last edited by FabricDetails: 02-07-2010 at 11:51 PM.
FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:50 AM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricDetails View Post
Defensively though, would it be too soon for Smith to play in the AHL? I wouldn't want him to get overwhelmed with minuses and lose confidence.
That's certainly a possibility, but I don't think so. Even though he still struggles defensively, I think going to GR will advance his development more than a 4th year in the NCAA. Even though there will be bumps, I think he's talented enough to step into the AHL next season and start learning the craft there. That's my outlook. The Wings know better, and if they send him back to Wisconsin, I won't be disappointed, but I will be a little surprised.