HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Inability to Score

Old
02-06-2010, 11:47 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
What is the deal with Carter? How does he go from a 40+ goal scorer to snake-bitten?
He hasn't. He's gone from a 30 goal scorer to a 30 goal scorer with a year of fortune in the middle.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:48 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

If you take a look at the good teams, there's at least one or two players who are willing to carry the team on their back when things are going bad. They step up their game and every one else seems to follow. Simply put, we don't have those kinds of players in Philadelphia. We have very good complimentary players who can go on streaks, but we don't have anybody who is willing to step forward to be that guy to carry the team.

Whether it be a lack of heart, lack of ability, or lack of caring (I really think it's this), we just don't have that guy. Something is awful in that locker room right now. Holmgren moved the "guilty parties" in Lupul and Upshall, but it's even worse now. So, something has to give.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:52 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Sorry, I don't by the "they're just unlucky" excuse either, because being dependent on luck is a problem in an of itself!
Luck is a huge factor in the NHL, can't pretend otherwise.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:52 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I posted this in the GDT, so I'll repost here.

As much as we've struggled (and they need to start converting on rebounds), these 2 runs have simply been extraordinary bad luck.
I don't think it's just extraordinary bad luck. In many of these games the Flyers are getting lots of shots off, but it doesn't seem like there are many quality chances. So that would explain for the high save percentages.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:53 PM
dedhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
What is the deal with Carter? How does he go from a 40+ goal scorer to snake-bitten?
The rest of the NHL have found his weaknesses and he hasn't changed his game to compensate. I don't think he ever will either.

That's what happens when players go from being effective to become mediocre. The Flyers also began the season with the worst coach that ever stood behind their bench in the history of the organization, so they are still suffering from the aftermath from Stevens. Laviolette is a good coach, but he's working with a subpar roster.

dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:57 PM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Quote:
Luck is a huge factor in the NHL, can't pretend otherwise.
Winners make their own luck, losers use it as an excuse.

Chicken Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:03 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Chaser View Post
Winners make their own luck, losers use it as an excuse.
Losers use it to mask the real issues.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:03 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedhed View Post
I'm right there with you Joey Mac! Richards-Carter-Briere-Hartnell-and Gagne should be on the trade block immediately! This team is disgusting to watch.
And what exactly do you expect to get in return for these players?

And how many goals do you think the 3rd and 4th lines will get when they're facing the opposition's top defensive players?

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:05 AM
dedhed

When you see a Flyer on an open ice break away, what is your first thought? Mine is always, how's he gonna screw this up?

That's the way the rest of the league see's the Flyers as well.

If they had some decent scorers, some guys who consistently put the biscuit in the basket, then maybe their luck would change.

This roster is filled with could-be's, but very few definite stars. It is also a leaderless squad.

Richards can be a little wussy all he wants and not talk to the press, but the fact of the matter is that he is not leading his team to anything but mediocrity.

Old
02-07-2010, 12:10 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
When the game is on the line, they don't have a single guy who you can trust to get the job done.

It's what separates us from being a Stanley Cup contender.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:18 AM
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
Quote:
Do you know how many players the Flyers have on the top 30 scorers in the league? None.

This team doesn't have a sniper within it's roster. Flyer fans are quick to complain when these facts are made, but it's the damn truth. I am a lifetime Flyers fan. I've been a fan since 1968, and this team is completely pathetic when it comes to offense.

I wouldn't have a single player on my protected list on the offensive side. Including everyones favourite: Richards!

I want to see some heads roll. I'd get rid of players like Briere and Gagne immediately, their best days are behind them.
The Coyotes don't have anyone in the top 50 for goal scoring, or top 50 for points. Then again they play in the west, but they're a lot more successful than the Flyers right now and do not have a major scoring threat. I do agree we need a player who can score at will, but it is possible to be successful without that sort of asset. It's so frustrating seeing guys like Gagne, Hartnell, and Richards not being able to finish off a setup and just put it in the net.

seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:20 AM
Miss Mess

They are not clutch in any way.

We do have great players on the roster, but they just don't mesh. Very frustrating to watch

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:20 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
When the game is on the line, they don't have a single guy who you can trust to get the job done.

It's what separates us from being a Stanley Cup contender.
Amen.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:22 AM
dedhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
And what exactly do you expect to get in return for these players?

And how many goals do you think the 3rd and 4th lines will get when they're facing the opposition's top defensive players?
How did Pittsburgh and Washington get the players they have at present? They sucked for several years and acquired them through drafts.

The Flyers constantly bait their fans into thinking they're just a bounce away from winning the Cup, and everyone jumps on the wagon with blind faith.

I'm stating the facts here, this team does not have the talent to compete with the top teams in the NHL.

This team needs to refocus on how to rebuild this team.

First, they must acquire a top flight goalie, not like the group of back-up goalies they've used since Hextall retired, but a true STARING GOALIE! There are some out there that will require the Flyers to part with some of their beloved core players.

Second, they already have a decent defensive corps, but they'll need to guarantee a replacement for when Pronger retires (yes, it will take awhile for this rebuilding phase to take effect, this team sucks in it's current state).

Third, they'll have to draft better players or trade for higher draft picks. The players they've recently picked are decent players, but they are not in the same elite class of talent like Ovechkin.

Forth, they'll have to do a better job a acquiring European players. I'm tired of seeing great players like Ruslan Fedotenko dealt away for more muckers and grinders. This team loves players from Western Canada, but they should be focusing on the entire world for talent.

Old
02-07-2010, 12:42 AM
Joey Mac

what are the consequences if/when we make the playoffs and get bounced in the first round again?

this team really doesn't have much talent in the ahl (besides a few players) and not much coming through the system to make in impact asap... i'd be happy to trade some of the high priced guys for draft picks and build this team back up... the high priced guys aren't always the answer even though the flyers organization and us as fans (me included) expect the best, but it's obviously not what were getting...

Joey Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:53 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Third, they'll have to draft better players or trade for higher draft picks. The players they've recently picked are decent players, but they are not in the same elite class of talent like Ovechkin.

Forth, they'll have to do a better job a acquiring European players. I'm tired of seeing great players like Ruslan Fedotenko dealt away for more muckers and grinders. This team loves players from Western Canada, but they should be focusing on the entire world for talent.
Easy killer, we just traded for Ville Leino. Your calls for a Finnish Ovechkin have been answered. Now we are going to be so offensively gifted that we can continue to try to backdoor the goalie every single play instead of crashing the net or actually sniping a corner for once.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:53 AM
TRASHCAT

Quote:

There hasnt been an ovechkin like talent since the crosby draft. Granted there has been some very good players in later draft. Being there are only 3 players in that class, dont expect one in the draft.

TRASHCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:55 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Holy hell, is this team getting depressing to watch. People can go ahead and make all the comments they want about the sky falling, cuz the way this team is playing it is ****ing falling. They looked ******* terrible out there tonight. They had few high quality scoring chances(like many nights), and the few that they did they totally blew(like many nights). That shot total is such a laugh...talk about padding a goalie's stats. That dude had maybe one or two tough saves all night. Some of those PP's made me want to scoop my ****ing eyes out with a rusty spoon. Do they practice the ****ing PP? Because it sure as hell doesn't look like it.

What sucks so much about what's going on lately is that it's becoming more and more of a realization that the team is mediocre. At least when things were a mess under Stevens, there was the hope that things would come together under a new coach. But now it's getting to the point of a depressing realization that this team is what it is. It's hard to watch that night in and night out under any circumstances, but when tons of media outlets had to go and predict the Flyers as ****ing Stanley Cup winners before the season, it's a lot ****ing harder to swallow. That **** is so ****ing aggravating. Regardless of how good or bad we're playing, I hate when any team I love gets that kind of hype...it's just an extra factor of irritation in this whole scenario.

And Lavi is a dope. The fact that the guy didn't even change the lines up for this game is bad enough...but the fact that he still doesn't even seem to think he needs to change them up(as evidenced by his demeanor and comments in the postgame presser) is just totally laughable. The dude is lost.

All of this terribly depressing stuff said....I still think this team can at least be an above average team in this league if Lavi could just find some better ****ing line combos for god's ****ing sake. And Ville Leino is not any ****ing kind of ****ing answer...Leino can eat a dick.

Amongst a multitude of sucky things that I'm leaving out, I do have to lastly emphasize that Holmgren sucks pretty bad as well.

Quote:
I posted this in the GDT, so I'll repost here.

As much as we've struggled (and they need to start converting on rebounds), these 2 runs have simply been extraordinary bad luck.
Quote:
Again, look at the numbers, these guys have been exceedingly unlucky. I said the same thing during that streak last time, it's mind-boggling that it's happening again.
Wow, I was in agreement with you about some stuff in the Leino thread earlier, but talk like this smacks of someone who isn't even watching the games. And why even care to look that stat up after tonight's game? Tonight's game was a great example of how terrible our offense often is....creating tons...tons of nothing. Lots of time in the offensive zone, barely any high quality scoring chances to show for it, let alone goals. Overall, the chemistry of the lines and ability to finish is just disgustingly bad. I could've been in net for the Wild tonight and won them that game, and I haven't played goalie in about 12 years, and it was street hockey in my neighborhood cul-de-sac. I had those sweetass plastic tan Mylec pads with the grey styrofoam padding ****...but, I digress. The fact is, the Wild easily had more high quality scoring chances than we did tonight. For Leighton's two total ****-ups, and looking very shaky other times...he actually made some great saves. He was certainly tested more than Khardobi or whatever the hell that *****'s name was. Even after the 1st, when the Flyers were favored in shots something like 17-7...Leighton was the one who had been tested more.

The summary here is that the Flyers stink at playing hockey. And Leino can eat my ****ing grundle.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 01:22 AM
Miss Mess

We're now barely in 8th... This season sucks ass. I expected so much more

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 01:36 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Mods, do we really need a thread insulting Irish?

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 01:48 AM
Garbage Goal

This thread screams of knee-jerk reaction. It's not hard to figure out why our scoring has been the way it is. No Knuble or Lupul. Hartnell is a black hole at offense and provides almost nothing at the moment. Almost everyone in our top six is having a down year. Some of them may be coincidence or byproducts of the forwards around them (such as Richards, Carter, maybe Gagne), but it doesn't really matter.

In the midst of all this sky is falling crap people seem to forget that we probably have one of the best defenses in the league. Even when we're losing they're playing well.

I'm not ready to make any predictions in terms of playoffs. I'd rather wait and see how the regular season pans out. This team and it's ability to produce offensively is just kind of hard to figure out right now.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 01:53 AM
BringBackStevens

I don't think they looked "terrible" tonight by any means...

Its clear that the team aren't world beaters at this stage, but that doesn't mean that they can't or won't win anything when it matters

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 02:03 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Mods, do we really need a thread insulting Irish?
I remember hearing the phrase "couldn't score in a women's prison with a handful of pardons" recently. Sounded like something you'd say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
In the midst of all this sky is falling crap people seem to forget that we probably have one of the best defenses in the league. Even when we're losing they're playing well.
You seem to not notice that our offense is playing so poorly, and our goal tending is so shaky that even when our crack defensive unit is playing well we still can't win.

We need starting caliber goal tending on a consistent basis. We need our decent shooters (Briere, Carter, JVR, Richards and Gagne) to start picking some corners, so every damn play doesn't have to be a back door pass through traffic. Nobody on this team can just beat a goalie with his shot right now (except for on occasion Pronger).

Our power play has been sucking as well, that doesn't help. At one point tonight we had more quality chances on one PK than we did on three power plays.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 02:30 AM
rixXx

I think Lavi needs to experiment with lines a little more and get something going. Maybe throw Richards and Carter out there together. Having one good scoring line is better than having zero...

rixXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 02:48 AM
tuckrr

flyers will not win the stanley cup this year with their current roster, i would bet my life and the life of my family on that statement.

what do we need?
we needed kovalchuk, but now that ship has sailed, we need to drop carter like a bad habit, if briere follows then hoorah, if not damn...
i recommend bobby ryan + getzlaf or something.

EDIT:

also, yes carter needs to be paired with richards for sure, since he never passes and supposedly plays center from what i am told. although traditionally centers pass occasionally.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote