HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Mack is Back... Sharks @ Predators 2-6-10 7pmCST

Old
02-06-2010, 09:51 PM
San Nashlanta

vCash: 500
Without Nabby the outcome would have been different.

San Nashlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 09:51 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:03 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Preds outplayed the Sharks tonight. Plain and simple, the Preds should have gotten at least a point out of this game. Nabakov was excellent for the Sharks and deserves the first star of the game for his effort. He won two points for his team...no doubt about it.

However, Hamhuis cannot, cannot, cannot take an undisciplined penalty in on the forecheck as a defenseman a full 200 feet from his net!!!

I said it pre-game...the game would come down to simple defensive hockey, hard work, and special teams.

Did the Preds take care of their end of the rink tonight? Yeah, I'll give them credit for it. Had some lapses, but that was to be expected. Overall, they did a good enough job at even-strength in their end of the rink to win this game...

Did the Preds outwork the Sharks tonight? Yeah, I think overall they made life difficult on the Sharks tonight with their work ethic. Never did I feel that the Preds were being outworked, although they did lose the momentum a few times...

Did the Preds win the special teams battle? No, two PPG's against, one PPG for = a one goal loss. Thought the Preds played pretty disciplined all night long, but Hamhuis lost his head and finished a check from behind that he had no business making in the first place...bad penalties do not get killed and that was about as bad of a penalty as you could get...Hamhuis lost at least one point tonight for the Preds. It's as simple as that...

Great game by Dumont scoring two goals on a night he's on the bench for my fantasy hockey team A three assist effort for O'Reilly this evening as well...but the top performer tonight and the man that deserves all the credit tonight for the Sharks was Nabakov...

Arnott, Ward, and someone else (help me out here) all with open nets to shoot at got robbed out of nowhere by the guy in the teal mask...we did more than enough to get a point tonight, but between Nabakov's effort and Hamhuis' indescribably poor judgment the Preds lost at least one point tonight...

Honestly, at a loss for words right now...Hamhuis is way, way into my doghouse tonight and personally the way his season has gone so far...I hope that he is traded before the team returns from the Olympic break. Thank you for your years of service here, but the time has simply come to part ways...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Cade243

Send a message via MSN to Cade243
One thing to say. Thanks Klein.

Cade243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:44 PM
predfan24

And Hammer played such a solid game before that penalty. Unbelievable

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:46 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cade243 View Post
One thing to say. Thanks Klein.

Klein wouldn't have failed to clear the puck if Hamhuis didn't take the penalty at the other end of the ice...Bouillon wouldn't have been beat with the cross-crease pass if Hamhuis was out there to take away the lane...

Hamhuis, Hamhuis, Hamhuis...Dan Hamhuis cost us at least a point in the standings tonight...

Old
02-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
And Hammer played such a solid game before that penalty. Unbelievable
Agreed, but being in the NHL is all about being consistent. Hamhuis lost his composure and lost the game tonight for the Preds. All the positive play up to that point simply put us into position to have an opportunity to win the game...taking that penalty took away that opportunity and all the goodwill earned before it...

Old
02-06-2010, 10:58 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Agreed, but being in the NHL is all about being consistent. Hamhuis lost his composure and lost the game tonight for the Preds. All the positive play up to that point simply put us into position to have an opportunity to win the game...taking that penalty took away that opportunity and all the goodwill earned before it...
No argument here. With a PP as deadly as the Sharks. Who couldn't see that coming a mile away? Especially after Klein failed to clear an easy clear. I saw the writing on the wall at the moment.

Old
02-06-2010, 11:08 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Hamhuis - Klein - and Nabby all combined for a great Sharks win tonight.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Milly79

Has any reporter directly asked Trotz why he continually rolls out one of the worst possible D pairings in the league? I'd really like to hear his take on it. I'm with a few others around here, I get scared when I see either of them on the ice. They make decent plays at times, but not enough to warrant anything good coming from my mouth.

Milly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:35 PM
OpenWheel

Oh well. You can't win them all.

I feel good that Poile is locking up some guys at fair prices. I'd hate to think we wouldn't able to slump our way out of playoffs in future years. We're right on track.

Thankfully the team is on the road until the Olympic break. Gives them a chance to win some games.

I wish one of our goalies would get hot. Haven't seen a game changing performance like Nabokov had, out of our guys for quite a while. (Although how much was their guy and how much was our guys failing to finish I don't know.) I think Ellis has been slightly better most of the year, despite the worse won loss record. I hope now he gets a chance to start many games in a row. Rinne has been given every chance to be the clear number one. Maybe it's time for Ellis to get the same consideration.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 02-07-2010 at 12:00 AM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:53 PM
Cade243

Send a message via MSN to Cade243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milly79 View Post
Has any reporter directly asked Trotz why he continually rolls out one of the worst possible D pairings in the league? I'd really like to hear his take on it. I'm with a few others around here, I get scared when I see either of them on the ice. They make decent plays at times, but not enough to warrant anything good coming from my mouth.
I agree 100%. I also don't understand why when Klein or Hammy mess up and give away a goal and then are right back on the ice for the next face off. I just don't understand.

Cade243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:57 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Klein wouldn't have failed to clear the puck if Hamhuis didn't take the penalty at the other end of the ice...Bouillon wouldn't have been beat with the cross-crease pass if Hamhuis was out there to take away the lane...

Hamhuis, Hamhuis, Hamhuis...Dan Hamhuis cost us at least a point in the standings tonight...
While I agree with everything you said about Hamhuis and his penalty and losing discipline on that play, one play does not win or lose you a game. The only time that happens is a late second field goal in football. This team has plenty of chances to bury pucks and didn't. This team has had problems on the PK all year and tonight was no different. While the penalty was bad, the guys on the ice still have a job to do. While we had PP's and only converted on one of them, our guys have a job to do. It comes down to 20 guys collectively every night playing for one another and picking the other guys up after a bad or poor play. There were plenty of other times in the game that we were unable to clear the puck out of our zone.

I agree with you that we outplayed SJ tonight but to blame the game on one play is a bit over doing it for me. Trotz lambasted Hamhuis on the postgame and maybe it lights a fire under him finally. I'm not defending Hamhuis because it was a stupid penalty to take but to be honest, I thought the call was fairly weak. A guy goes back for the puck with a guy on his heels the entire way and goes straight into the boards? What did he think was going to happen? What did the refs think was going to happen? I'm sorry but if you know you've got a guy right on your back you think you'd turn or try to make a move but instead the guy goes straight into the boards? I don't want to see guys getting hurt but if the player with the puck is stupid and gets leveled, he deserves it.

One other thing, how did Staubitz only get a boarding call and not a roughing on Tootoo? First he boards him, then skates towards him as he's down and starts throwing punches at him. What gives? Someone please explain that one to me.

Good game to watch, sad to see us lose but we played hard and got beat by a very good team tonight who's goalie stood on his head even though he looked shaky as hell and left rebound after rebound for us to put behind him and we just couldn't do it.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:02 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I thought Klein played a very good game actually. Hamhuis made more mistakes than anyone on the ice tonight. He was burned at least three times leading to prime scoring chances, and his bone-headed penalty cost us the game. I will say that he made some very good defensive plays at times, but he had some rookie-blunders in his coverage.

On the Klein clear, I thought the blame should actually be shifted to Smithson who inexplicably curled with the puck with no one around him and an easy backhand clear in sight. He probably thought pressure was coming and chose to protect the puck, which makes sense. Unfortunately, he read the play wrong.

This game came down to Nabakov being so good tonight. We couldn't contain the Marleau-Thorton-Heatley trio. They were amazing. Every time they were on the ice it was hang on for dear life. Past that line, the Sharks are a very very beatable team. We outplayed them even strength, but lost the special teams battle. I bet Boullion wishes he layed out on that pass across the crease ! Overall, I thought their were far far more positives than negatives in this game, and I think the Predators gave a heck of an effort against arguably the best team in the league/best line in the league.

Fun game to go to. The Race this morning was frigid, but highly enjoyable. My first Preds game since the last playoff elimination game. Maybe next time I manage to make it down here to Nashville the Preds can pull one off.

02-07-2010, 11:18 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Really, this was on the whole an above average effort from the Preds that results in two points vs most teams in the league save perhaps the Capitals, Sharks, Hawks. Just not quite enough for the cream of the crop. I do think Hamhuis' deserves criticism for sub-par performance throughout the game, in particular that penalty at a crucial juncture. He has to play smarter than that, not like he is a rookie. You could tell from even the homer Sharks announcers they were impressed with the hustle and pressure the Preds showed in the game all the way to the end. They guys did not quit, at least. Team needs to go get some road points now before the break or they will be in trouble for the stretch run after giving up so much ground lately.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Heatley talked bad about our ice last night, that's if any of you caught NHL On The Fly Final

Last edited by Seth Lake: 02-08-2010 at 12:13 AM. Reason: inappropriate nickname
Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 07:31 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
I wish one of our goalies would get hot. Haven't seen a game changing performance like Nabokov had, out of our guys for quite a while. (Although how much was their guy and how much was our guys failing to finish I don't know.) I think Ellis has been slightly better most of the year, despite the worse won loss record. I hope now he gets a chance to start many games in a row. Rinne has been given every chance to be the clear number one. Maybe it's time for Ellis to get the same consideration.
Pekka did get a shutout recently, and quite a few of the goals he's let in has been due to bad defense (namely the Hammer/Klein duo). Personally I think he has gotten "hot," or at least warmer in the last few games, doing considerably better from what I saw in January.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 07:45 PM
OpenWheel

I think he's been average or below, for the most part. I forgot about the shutout though.

I think Ellis has deserved not to be put on dry ice after a bad outing. He did almost save Rinne's #$$ not that far back when Rinne let in three first period goals. Although Rinne had the flu.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 09:45 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreTooth3539 View Post
Pekka did get a shutout recently, and quite a few of the goals he's let in has been due to bad defense (namely the Hammer/Klein duo). Personally I think he has gotten "hot," or at least warmer in the last few games, doing considerably better from what I saw in January.
I agree he is playing much better. He isn't dominating but he is giving us a good chance to win the last few games he's played. The only goal last night you could possibly say he wanted back last night was the first Heately goal. He was screened but you probably want to see him pick up the puck quicker. I have no problem seeing him getting a few more starts in a row to see how he does.

Old
02-08-2010, 11:41 PM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Well I went 1-1 ....NEXT!

We played well enough, more than well enough actually, to win. We outplayed them through a lot of stretches.

Welcome back to the scoresheet Dumont and O'Reilly! Stick around for a while this time!

Ward's goal was awesome! So ends the streak. But I'll take 19-1 everyday!

We should have had 5 goals, but 2 just didn't go completely over the line. Everyone, and I mean everyone, was halfway jumping up because we thought Arnott scored.

Still mad about that 3rd goal allowed. Less than 30 seconds in the 2nd period cannot happen against a first place team...or any team! We had to go into the 3rd with the 3-2 lead, I don't believe we would have allowed 2 goals in the third period, maybe one and then we would have gone to OT and gotten that point to stay tied/ahead of Calgary. Even though the score was only tied, that was the goal that beat us.

Tootoo was fanstastic. Had some good chances, got under their skin, didn't take any penalties, drew a penalty that we scored on!

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote