HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

McCabe has kind words for Phaneuf as a Leaf

Old
02-06-2010, 05:37 PM
rumman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Phaneuf would be a bit more of a handful for Chara but I agree, no sense fighting him and risking an injury. Thing that is often ignored about the Chara/McCabe fight is that Chara injured his shoulder while tossing McCabe around...was not serious but he did miss a game or two because of it.
no doubt he hurt his shoulder, McCabe's a big boy, and Chara threw him around like a rag doll, truly was a awesome demonstration of sheer strength!

rumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Call of the loonie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
Interesting, since there are some obvious similarities between Phaneuf and McCabe: big shot, gritty/physical, tendency to make defensive miscues, big salary. I just hope that once the honeymoon is over, Phaneuf won't get the same treatment from Leaf fans that Bryan "enjoyed."
It's a funny thing about defensive miscues in the NHL. I watched the highlights from a Blackhawks game the other night. Duncan Keith coughed up the puck for the game-winning goal against and TSN didn't even mention his name. Funny how that works.

Call of the loonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 09:10 PM
rumman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call of the loonie View Post
It's a funny thing about defensive miscues in the NHL. I watched the highlights from a Blackhawks game the other night. Duncan Keith coughed up the puck for the game-winning goal against and TSN didn't even mention his name. Funny how that works.
personally, I think when McCabe got big bucks, along with a no movement clause, if he didn't walk on water, he was ragged on, which I suppose is justifiable. Toronto hockey fans hold high priced players accountable for their play, I wonder if McCabe would have been given a break if he wasn't paid so much?

Old
02-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Call of the loonie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumman View Post
personally, I think when McCabe got big bucks, along with a no movement clause, if he didn't walk on water, he was ragged on, which I suppose is justifiable. Toronto hockey fans hold high priced players accountable for their play, I wonder if McCabe would have been given a break if he wasn't paid so much?
I just think the fans get prodded into it by certain media outlets. We can facepalm at McCabe for putting a puck into his net or pinching in overtime, but TSN et al make top ten highlight reels out of certain players mistakes. It's just something that I've noticed over the years. I guess, ultimately, the fans are the ones paying attention to crap like that. But we also get a false report on other players around the league.

Call of the loonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Lisa Needs Braces

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumman View Post
McCabe and Phaneuf were imo in the same position when they were both traded. Both signed massive contracts and couldn't live up to them so the fans turned on them. McCabe has played very well for the panthers since he's been there and hopefully Phaneuf will bring his A game to the leafs.

Lisa Needs Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 09:31 PM
NikolaiTesla*
This team is waffle!

McCabe loved the attention so much here, that he would often score in his own net.

NikolaiTesla* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 09:38 PM
rumman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Leaf View Post
McCabe and Phaneuf were imo in the same position when they were both traded. Both signed massive contracts and couldn't live up to them so the fans turned on them. McCabe has played very well for the panthers since he's been there and hopefully Phaneuf will bring his A game to the leafs.
Well put, as the saying goes......a change is as good as a rest! Personally, 2 games in and Dion's given the Leaf's a heart transfusion IMO, Jiggy is the real deal, Schenn looks like he's got his Mojo back, Sjostromn is very good, the college kids look great, even Stemps seems to be inspired! I say get Stralberg up to experience some of the positive vibes.

Old
02-06-2010, 11:37 PM
Salgari

Send a message via MSN to Salgari
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikhailStefanovich View Post
McCabe loved the attention so much here, that he would often score in his own net.
Often?

Salgari is offline   Reply With Quote