HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Chico Resch One of Worst Commentators in History?

Old
02-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Heat McManus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
Half of New Jersey roots for the Rangers. Devils aren't that big.
it's really not that hard. Devils are in the same MARKET.

If there's a guy that works in your building, it doesn't matter who likes him. If he works there, he still works in the same building.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 09:19 PM
NYRskate324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
It bugs me when he kisses Brodeur's ass.

But most commentators, particularly color ones, are incredibly biased and have to be to keep the fans happy. I remember an angry Sabres fan sending an email to their pregame show asking why they covered so much about the other team.
at one point he was saying how last game it was all Brodeur, no one else was nearly as good Brodeur's game blah blah blah. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Henrik have 45 saves and a shutout as well?

NYRskate324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 09:19 PM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

chico is a complete and utter dolt period. Jaffe is a close second and the only reason why i say Jaffe is a close second is because he is halfway decent when he works for vs and takes his isles colored glasses off for a few hours. both are homers to an embarassing degree but chico is just over the top aweful.

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHamiltonsTan View Post
chico is a complete and utter dolt period. Jaffe is a close second and the only reason why i say Jaffe is a close second is because he is halfway decent when he works for vs and takes his isles colored glasses off for a few hours. both are homers to an embarassing degree but chico is just over the top aweful.
first off, great user name. second, agreed about Jaffe.

To a point, complaining about commentator bias is like complaining that the PA guy is only happy when the home team scores.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 09:23 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abooch68 View Post
Told him he wasn't a good broadcaster..simple as that, wasn't trashed..had a few beers..thats it...the end...don't like it sorry...
That's an unbelievably classless thing to do. Thanks for validating everyone who has poor opinions of Ranger fans.

On topic, what bugs me the most about Chico (and a slew of other regional announcers in all sports) is his habit of referring to the hometown players by their first names.

"Boy Zach is doing all he can out there."

"Jamie gets off a hard shot..."

It just reaks of unprofessionalism, and gives the impression that they see the players as their buddies. You expect a local announcer to be a fan of a team, but this is just one of those things that makes it blatantly obvious that they're incredibly biased.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 09:31 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Really, really nice guy (have met him twice, now) but a very bad commentator. He loves the game and loves the Devils, but he's just not professional.

Great dude, though. Incredible hockey mind when you can talk to him one-on-one.
I've met him too and I concur. Very, very nice man and he does really understand the game it's just that his homerism gets in the way of him getting that knowledge across on TV.

Actually, if there is one positive about his work, I love that he hates the ticky-tack nothing penalties that are always called. And he questions those no matter which team they are called on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abooch68 View Post
I told him to his face after a game at the rock two years ago in the Fire lounge that he was terrible. He turned red but didn't say anything...I just had to...esp after a few beers haha
I hope you weren't wearing anything with a Ranger logo on it at the time. I'd hate for the rest of us to be associated with someone like you.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 09:36 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
I hope you weren't wearing anything with a Ranger logo on it at the time. I'd hate for the rest of us to be associated with someone like you.
+1

And good for Chico to not respond to a drunken idiot in a bar.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Abooch68

nope was wearing a devils jersey...

Abooch68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 09:50 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
That's an unbelievably classless thing to do. Thanks for validating everyone who has poor opinions of Ranger fans.

On topic, what bugs me the most about Chico (and a slew of other regional announcers in all sports) is his habit of referring to the hometown players by their first names.

It just reaks of unprofessionalism, and gives the impression that they see the players as their buddies. You expect a local announcer to be a fan of a team, but this is just one of those things that makes it blatantly obvious that they're incredibly biased.
This is it for me, the thing that annoys me the most is when he uses first names.

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:15 PM
TylerDurden

Devils fans really trying to say they are a big market team? Fill your arena, and not with rangers fans, then talk.

TylerDurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:20 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

I thought this guy was incredibly annoying. The amount of hate he has for the refs is hilarious

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:04 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post

This post. Sums up an intelligent argument as to why Chico is a homer instead of childish reasons like his voice/toupee etc. etc.

I cannot stand the first-name basis crap and his tangents that end up making absolutely zero sense when the sentence is finished.

I was forced to watch MSG+ on internet streams or not see the game at all. Put a gun to me.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:09 PM
broadwayblue

True, Chico babbled quite a bit tonight. But I did think he was pretty even in his compliments towards our guys as well.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:29 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan89 View Post
This post. Sums up an intelligent argument as to why Chico is a homer instead of childish reasons like his voice/toupee etc. etc.

I cannot stand the first-name basis crap and his tangents that end up making absolutely zero sense when the sentence is finished.

I was forced to watch MSG+ on internet streams or not see the game at all. Put a gun to me.

I did not knew he wore a toupee. That doesn't make him a bad person.

The constant first name calling is annoying, like he is buddies with them, You can't do your job the right way & consider yourself an impartial journalist/sports annpuncer if you consider all the players "your pals."

If all the Devil players were so great than why bother playing the season, hand them the cup every year & be done with.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:35 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
True, Chico babbled quite a bit tonight. But I did think he was pretty even in his compliments towards our guys as well.
Like when Zach Parise interfered with someone (I forget who it was) during the Drury penalty and Chico complained that the Ranger player dove and that the refs have to start calling more dives? This, after whining earlier in the game for the refs to let them play and stop calling so many penalties?

Chico and even don't belong in the same sentence.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:44 PM
DevilInDisguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
Devils fans really trying to say they are a big market team? Fill your arena, and not with rangers fans, then talk.
thats pretty ignorant and off topic.. the rock is the rangers 3rd home arena right?? chico is terrible but he is who he is..

DevilInDisguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:54 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan89 View Post
Like when Zach Parise interfered with someone (I forget who it was) during the Drury penalty and Chico complained that the Ranger player dove and that the refs have to start calling more dives? This, after whining earlier in the game for the refs to let them play and stop calling so many penalties?

Chico and even don't belong in the same sentence.
i had the Rangers feed...but are we talking about the Parise VS Rozsival play? if so, when I was watching it, all I could think was that Rozsival definitely dived there and totally deserved a call in addition to Parise's penalty.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:58 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i had the Rangers feed...but are we talking about the Parise VS Rozsival play? if so, when I was watching it, all I could think was that Rozsival definitely dived there and totally deserved a call in addition to Parise's penalty.
Agreed. Parise set up a pick, but Rozy went down way too easy. Both should have gotten minors.

P.S. Chico sucks.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:02 AM
chip chipperson*

every goal against the devils chico has to find a screen or a deflection. when there isnt one, he says there is one. id rather watch a video on how string is made than listen to him. and i hate how he calls players by their first names. zack patrick and jamie. i hate him

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:21 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Agreed. Parise set up a pick, but Rozy went down way too easy. Both should have gotten minors.

P.S. Chico sucks.
yep, only one i hate more is jeanerette

Old
02-07-2010, 12:29 AM
OverTheCap

One of my all time favorite Chico moments was when he had a meltdown during Game 5 of the 2008 ECQF.

"All these Rangers' fans in our building... I'm sorry, I shouldn't be saying anything, but it's just painful to watch, these Rangers' fans celebrating in our arena."

Hearing him whine about the Rangers' fans at the Rock was just classic. Homerism at it's finest, he sounded like he was going to cry.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:31 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
One of my all time favorite Chico moments was when he had a meltdown during Game 5 of the 2008 ECQF.

"All these Rangers' fans in our building... I'm sorry, I shouldn't be saying anything, but it's just painful to watch, these Rangers' fans celebrating in our arena."

Hearing him whine about the Rangers' fans at the Rock was just classic. Homerism at it's finest, he sounded like he was going to cry.
that was oh-so good to hear...i felt like licking up his tears a-la eric cartman.

Old
02-07-2010, 12:33 AM
Crease

One of my favorites:

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:55 AM
GarretJoseph

I hate his voice. I hate how he calls games. He does however know his hockey.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 01:27 AM
nyrfan519

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
I hate his voice. I hate how he calls games. He does however know his hockey.
Maybe he does...but he does not effectively communicate that knowledge. He comes across as moronic.

nyrfan519 is offline   Reply With Quote