HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mathieu Darche called up

Old
01-24-2010, 11:13 AM
eddy

vCash: 500
Darche has been solid, hope he stays with the team. He's getting the job done and since he's an older guy don't have to worry about limited ice time or the odd scratch which will hinder development.

eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 12:49 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy View Post
Darche has been solid, hope he stays with the team. He's getting the job done and since he's an older guy don't have to worry about limited ice time or the odd scratch which will hinder development.
Darche is gonna be a valuable asset on the fouth line when AK is back.

I would now like Gainey to get a big winger/banger for the foutrth line too. A guy like JF Jacques or Winchester from the Blues would be just fine.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 01:04 PM
FuriousBob

Actually I would prefer to see Darche on the 3rd line once A.K is back. Before last season, Darche had 28 games played in the NHL so we can consider that is last season was is firt and he had 22 point. Darche will never be a top 6 player but he adds something the teams lack. A big body (6'1 215 pounds) a forward who can forecheck and a human who will play nhl games like it's always is last one. The last point is the most important, seeing someone like Darche working very hard to keep is spot will give energy to all is team mates. ++ on a line with Metro and Moen I think we have a nice 3rd line. This line is gritty, big, can chip in offensively and will be very annoying to play against.

And I am sure giving him a full season Darche can put up around 20-25 points and thats all im asking of him.

FuriousBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 02:23 PM
Svoboda crash

I'd like to see if he can maintain this rhythm for 20 games or more. But now you have to give him some credit 'cause he really deserves his spot in MTL, much more than D'Ags or Pyatt.

Svoboda crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Ncrdrg

Send a message via AIM to Ncrdrg Send a message via MSN to Ncrdrg
It's nice to see he was able to chip in so far.
But being realistic, he's a patch job. It's been clearer those last games that the top 6 missed a big skilled player up front since Andrei got injured. Obviously, he's out when Andrei comes back.
But you never know, maybe it'll be D'Agostini getting sent back to the AHL and Darche on the 3rd when he's back?

Ncrdrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:35 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

In nine games Darche has two game-winning goals and is 5th on the squad in +/- not too shabby.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 05:51 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
In nine games Darche has two game-winning goals and is 5th on the squad in +/- not too shabby.
gotta say (again) props to this guy,he has directly helped us get some pts in the win column!

In the history of the Habs he will never been considered a great but can honestly say from watching Montreal Canadiens for many years he wont go down as one of the worst!

Keeper going Darche.

Funny how it all works out , you see the new Bulldogs talking about hows it easier for them coming up with there leader Darche in the line up , so stuff we dont think about much as fans .

Also it speaks volumes why these guys work so hard, Darche says Boucher preaches hard work .dont stop /go extra mile, and its not hard to see in the forwards coming up here they buy into that.

I always cheer for the underdog , good to see a bunch of them getting a shot

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|MTL|home

Quote:
Smiling across the dressing room like a proud soccer mom was Mathieu Darche, the venerable leader of the Bulldogs who has certainly made the most of his big break with the Habs. That seizing of opportunities seems to have been contagious, with his three Bulldogs disciples doing quite the Darche impression against the Penguins.

“I’m not surprised at all to see them come up and make an impact. I know what they can do since I’ve seen it all season in Hamilton,” beamed Darche. “They’re skilled players who also work harder than anybody else and that’s why we’ve had so much success together with the Bulldogs. Our coaches preached hard work and extra effort and that’s what has gotten us all here. I’m really happy for them.”

Having Darche break down the Hamilton barrier to the Canadiens dressing room has not gone unnoticed by his Bulldogs puppies.

“For sure, having our leader already here makes it so much easier for all three of us,” admitted White. “Matt has been a great older guy for us this season. As soon as he arrived in Hamilton he took on a big leadership role. Seeing him doing all he has since being called up also gave us some extra confidence. We all believe we can make a difference and help this team win.”

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 06:18 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncrdrg View Post
It's nice to see he was able to chip in so far.
But being realistic, he's a patch job. It's been clearer those last games that the top 6 missed a big skilled player up front since Andrei got injured. Obviously, he's out when Andrei comes back.
But you never know, maybe it'll be D'Agostini getting sent back to the AHL and Darche on the 3rd when he's back?

I don't know about that. i suspect Gainey is not a total fool and I'm certain that Jacques isn't. Darche is exactly what this team needs.

1) A decent size player
2) Decent speed & skills
3) Is constantly working - never lets up
4) Constantly goes to the net!! - who on this team does this?
5) Will do anything to stay here
6) Knows & does what he has to do.
7) Constantly goes into the dirty areas of the ice - who on this team this?

I'm hoping what we've seen from him is not simply a temporary shot of adrenalin because when I see him play I keep asking myself how has this guy not made the NHL. He deserves to play here.

onice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 06:44 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Too bad was not called up earlier and Pacioretty sent down. That's been one of Gainey's problems, rushing prospects instead of just calling up veterans to fill in and not interrupting development.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 06:49 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Darche is exactly what this team needs.

1) A decent size player
2) Decent speed & skills
3) Is constantly working - never lets up
4) Constantly goes to the net!! - who on this team does this?
5) Will do anything to stay here
6) Knows & does what he has to do.
7) Constantly goes into the dirty areas of the ice - who on this team this?

I'm hoping what we've seen from him is not simply a temporary shot of adrenalin because when I see him play I keep asking myself how has this guy not made the NHL. He deserves to play here.
However, we are now at a crossroads with him. If he plays one more game, he cannot go back to the minors without being offered to all teams on waivers first. So, either:

a) he goes back down before today's game and stays there until the last game before the roster limit is lifted;
b) Bob takes the chance of putting him on waivers and hoping he clears so that we can get another 9 games out of him before we are back in the same spot.
c) he stays with the team the rest of the year and takes up a "spare" spot when not playing;
d) he stays with the team for now, and we delay the decision, but that will effectively remove option A later.

I think that to the Habs, much as Darche is a leader in Hamilton and they hired him for that role, he is too important to the hockey club and its chances to amass points on a nightly basis to take a chance to lose him on waivers. Therefore, Bob will not take option B and Jacques will not want him to take Option A.

So I am pretty sure that at game time today, the Habs will pass the point of no return on Mathieu Darche, which means that if all other players return from injury, Darche will be guaranteed Pacioretty's former spot. There will be no room for Ryan White or anyone else unless someone is exposed to waivers or Sergei sent down again or we play over the limit with 24 contracts, and I'm afraid we might not have the cap space for that.

Right now, we have 21+BGL (Dags was the only non-injured spare yesterday). Still to return are Mara, A.Kostitsyn, Pouliot, Bergeron and Cammalleri.

Waiver-exempt to send down are Trotter, Desharnais, White and Maxwell.

And that puts us back at the 23 man roster (including BGL). I suppose on a short-term basis, another conditioning stint for D'Agostini is possible, otherwise if he refuses, he may be placed on waivers to make room for one of the three youngsters that came up yesterday....IF the coach feels such player is indispensible for him.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 07:14 AM
GNick42

What is our record since Darche callup?

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 07:45 AM
jcpenny

Hes staying with the habs for the rest of the year. Hes the type of player the team is missing; gritty, physical, big (built like a football player), will do anything to win, gives 100% every shift. We need more guys like him.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 07:53 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
However, we are now at a crossroads with him. If he plays one more game, he cannot go back to the minors without being offered to all teams on waivers first. So, either:

a) he goes back down before today's game and stays there until the last game before the roster limit is lifted;
b) Bob takes the chance of putting him on waivers and hoping he clears so that we can get another 9 games out of him before we are back in the same spot.
c) he stays with the team the rest of the year and takes up a "spare" spot when not playing;
d) he stays with the team for now, and we delay the decision, but that will effectively remove option A later.
Thanks Baseball, was not aware of this. Well, I suppose we'll know in a few hours if Bob takes option (a). If we send him down before today's game he can re-join the team with no such restrictions on March 4, is that right? (Also, forgive my ignorance but is there any way we could clear the spot Laraque is occupying?)

Old
02-07-2010, 08:01 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
What is our record since Darche callup?
5 wins, 2 loses, 2 OT loses -- 12 of a possible 18 points.

Old
02-07-2010, 02:09 PM
NoWhammyCammy*

Impressive , wasn't hoping much for him but he is a nice cheap 4th liner for next year

NoWhammyCammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 02:36 PM
NewBlood

I'm not sure if I heard properly, but on CBC I think they just said that after tonight's game, Darche can't be sent down without going through waivers. Do you guys think this means he's staying up until the end of the season?

NewBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 02:42 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlood View Post
I'm not sure if I heard properly, but on CBC I think they just said that after tonight's game, Darche can't be sent down without going through waivers. Do you guys think this means he's staying up until the end of the season?
Why not ?

He is certainly more valuable than D'Agostini or Mara

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 10:34 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousBob View Post
Actually I would prefer to see Darche on the 3rd line once A.K is back. Before last season, Darche had 28 games played in the NHL so we can consider that is last season was is firt and he had 22 point. Darche will never be a top 6 player but he adds something the teams lack. A big body (6'1 215 pounds) a forward who can forecheck and a human who will play nhl games like it's always is last one. The last point is the most important, seeing someone like Darche working very hard to keep is spot will give energy to all is team mates. ++ on a line with Metro and Moen I think we have a nice 3rd line. This line is gritty, big, can chip in offensively and will be very annoying to play against.

And I am sure giving him a full season Darche can put up around 20-25 points and thats all im asking of him.
I just realized that Darche can be seen as a very good replacement for Steve Begin, a bit more productive, I hope and if we are lucky won't get injured too often.

Darche has shown me something different than what I thought he was before he signed with us. Before, I thought he was a Top-6 type player who didn't have the speed of execution to make it in this role in the NHL, like say a Corey Locke. However, I did not realize that he had the grit and character to play a 3rd or 4th line role. But he does, and this puts a whole new perspective on his place on a team. He can be relied upon to play bottom-6 but has enough skill to be an injury replacement for a short time in a scoring line. Of course, he won't score at a PPG pace in the NHL, but he has enough on-ice savvy to not kill his line's chances by being out there while his teammate heals.

Last edited by BaseballCoach: 02-07-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old
02-07-2010, 10:47 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlood View Post
Yeah I don't see any way he gets sent down the rest of the year, just like Baseball Coach mentioned I didn't think he'd be a guy who can play a bottom 6 role and still be effective but he's proven me wrong and i'm happy to see that. Wouldn't mind seeing him re-signed in the offseason as he'd be a perfect 12th/13th forward who wouldn't cost much to sign.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:04 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousBob View Post
Darche will never be a top 6 player but he adds something the teams lack. A big body (6'1 215 pounds) a forward who can forecheck and a human who will play nhl games like it's always is last one. The last point is the most important....
Definitely. Especially since in the post-lockout NHL, the new Collective Bargaining Agreement forbids animals, pre-historics and extra-terrestrials from playing in the NHL.

Unfortunately, a few Neanderthals like Sean Avery were grandfathered.........

Old
02-08-2010, 06:39 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Too bad Darche can't finish lately, he should have had 2-3 goals on the weekend.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 07:23 AM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
He's the best callup so far, not like a D'Agostini, where he is good for a while then bad, this guy is looking pretty constant. He's a great Metropolit-like guy, hope he sticks on the third.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

It's quite funny to read the first few pages of this thread...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Martin praised Darche's professionalism and mentioned that no matter how many shifts you give him, he won't let you down. Also, he seems to have a great attitude: I saw him joking with Price on the bench a few days ago; it's good for Price's morale.

If Darche is willing to sign a 3 years deal at 0,9M$ per season, I would be a happy fan. This 6'1" 215 pounds veteran player is the perfect 13th forward, a very good 4th liner, a decent 3rd liner and he does not look out of place when his presence is required on the top lines. I would be very comfortable with the following 4th (3b) line: Darche – Lapierre – White.

If someone offers him more than 1M$ per season, I would shake his hand, thank him for the help and wish him the best of luck.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote