HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Jersey Devils at New York Rangers 2/6/10 - 7:00 PM - MSG 2 ‎

Old
02-07-2010, 04:26 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

vCash: 500
New Jersey Devils at New York Rangers 2/6/10 - 7:00 PM - MSG 2 ‎

Since the GDT is about to be closed...

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 04:37 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
wtf did avery say for kovy to snap like that in a key situation where you're down by 2 goals and there's 2 minutes to go...

Esp w/ redden's cross check that happened later, if they had kovy on for the 6 on 4 there's a good chance they get at least 1 goal out of it.

You gotta have a thicker skin then that if you're a hockey player. You can't be that easy to get off the ice because you'll snap at the other team's agitator at a critical time.

I looked at the devils board.. the devils coach complained and said it should be an unsportsmanlike for "not nice" talk, LOL. And it's kinda hard to prevent avery from going up to one of their players to talk. What are they gonna do, tackle him for going to talk? That's gonna be a penalty for sure

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 05:24 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Hey Ranger fans, just wondering why Drury only had 12:02 of icetime tonight? Did he get hurt or was he having a bad game? I know he's not a favourite around here, but that's his lowest TOI of the season, aside from the Calgary game when he got cheapshotted.

Anyway, here's hoping the Rangers make the playoffs and do some damage. With the Oilers [hopefully] getting 1st overall in the draft, I've turned to my second favourite team for playoff hockey.

Let's Go Rangers!

Cheers.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 05:35 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studly Wonderbomb View Post
Hey Ranger fans, just wondering why Drury only had 12:02 of icetime tonight? Did he get hurt or was he having a bad game? I know he's not a favourite around here, but that's his lowest TOI of the season, aside from the Calgary game when he got cheapshotted.

Anyway, here's hoping the Rangers make the playoffs and do some damage. With the Oilers [hopefully] getting 1st overall in the draft, I've turned to my second favourite team for playoff hockey.

Let's Go Rangers!

Cheers.
Because he's a 4th liner now. All he does is penalty kill

Yeah.. that's right, a $7 million / year 4th line penalty killer.

sigh

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 05:39 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
Because he's a 4th liner now. All he does is penalty kill

Yeah.. that's right, a $7 million / year 4th line penalty killer.

sigh
Heh, that's probably still better than $5.5M Shawn Horcoff until 2015.

I missed the Ranger game tonight so I was wondering what was up. Thanks for the quick response.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 05:52 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

my take:

Marc Staal: lid over to the right side for the first time in the NHL to be matche dup against Parise, and Kovalchuk when either would be on the ice. nice game all around. most of kovy's chances were limited to when he got away from that pairing, and was up against girardi.

Dan Girardi: i've been critical of him lately, but the kid played a hell of a game. He had Parise or Kovalchuk, whichever happened to not be going head to head with Staal. Kovy had 3 nice chances against him (although one was due to a back-check breakdown). Danny was physical all game, and when he was matched against Parise, Parise didn't blow him out once. without having to fight through a girardi check.

Jokinen playmaking for Dubi, and Cally: take note, this is what a 2 way playmaking center looks like. not christensen, not dubi, not drury. Jokinen is a cagey vet, very comfortable with slowing the play down to wait for something to open up. his curls at the half boards are something we haven't seen at all since nylander. Devils looked completely ill-suited to deal with Dubi-Jok-Cally. Only way to shut them down from long periods of the puck in your own end is to out work them. and tonight, they were in no mood to be outworked.

Christensen pivoting for Gabby, Prospal: Really strong game from all three. NJD wound up getting their top defense up against them over and over, and yet they still were able to stretch out the d, and keep their line's tempo high. Christensen plays well between these guys, in a very organic sense. he does do to much, and he was finding the open man. He also had a hell of a game backchecking against the parise line.

Lundqvist: stellar. The defense played well in front of him, and gave him a view of almost everything tha came his way. when the team had a breakdown, lundy didn't.

DZ, Redden, Rosy, Gilroy: all played more physical than i've seen in awhile. DZ wound up on the ice during some PK's, and kept the low slot clear. Gilroy was very aggressive pinching, and didn't get burned for it. Rosy and Redden held the blue-line well, and both made some pretty decent outlet passes.

PP: excellent. great passing, creative, feet moving. everything to the net. the defense held the blueline well all game.

Prust: is a psychopath

Avery: much like our 4 game sweep of his Thrashers, Avery had Kovy rattled from the mid second period on. that guy just is way to hot headed to deal with Avery on the ice. we've seen many players learn how to block avery's shennanigans out, but Kovalchuk for whatever reason just can't do it.

Drury centering Prust and Boyle: outplayed NJD 3rd and 4th line almost every shift. all three worked hard, played smart, and kept their shifts short. can't remember the NJD ever getting them caught deep in their own zone and forcing icings.

PK: awesome. what else is new. NJD PP probably hasn't got on track yet, but they looked completely ineffective chance after chance.

Anisimov between Avery and Lisin: They skated well. AAdidn't seem to get going offensively, Lisin tends to look like rico fata, but avery was very active all game. AA created 2 nice turnovers in the neutral zone, but both were at the end of a shift, and so didn't turn into anything really. one nice play he made to slide the puck to lisin while he drove the net, but lisin pulled a rico, and lost the puck as he skated in.

Torts: great job breaking up staal and girardi and having staal slide over to the right side. all the line combos seemed perfect for the job that needed to be done. Putting the Jokinen line against the Parise line worked out much better than i would've imagined.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 06:26 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Hank had one of the best goaltended games I ever saw last night, if MDZ does give the puck away he would have had the SO he deserved. But MDZ made up for it earlier in the game when he knocked Kovalchuk on his rear end behind the Rangers net. Gilroy played well last night, getting into the offensive flow more, and he made a great pass to Drury for his goal.

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 06:40 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
Jokinen playmaking for Dubi, and Cally: take note, this is what a 2 way playmaking center looks like. not christensen, not dubi, not drury. Jokinen is a cagey vet, very comfortable with slowing the play down to wait for something to open up. his curls at the half boards are something we haven't seen at all since nylander.
This is beyond ridiculously true.
Damn i miss nylander and his play style.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 06:42 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Something I have to laugh at Devils fans complaining about Avery, I guess they forgot about Claude Lemieux...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 06:56 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Old
02-07-2010, 06:59 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
Hank had one of the best goaltended games I ever saw last night, if MDZ does give the puck away he would have had the SO he deserved. But MDZ made up for it earlier in the game when he knocked Kovalchuk on his rear end behind the Rangers net. Gilroy played well last night, getting into the offensive flow more, and he made a great pass to Drury for his goal.
That's Hank for you. I know most people say when their goalie is on, he can save everything... but Hank... when he is ON, he can frigging give you a cup by himself. When he is 100% focused, can see the shots and is in the "zone", all but the completely impossible shots are saved and robbed.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 07:07 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
That's Hank for you. I know most people say when their goalie is on, he can save everything... but Hank... when he is ON, he can frigging give you a cup by himself. When he is 100% focused, can see the shots and is in the "zone", all but the completely impossible shots are saved and robbed.
I sincerely can't wait for the season he'll have a complete cast in front of him, that will be fun to watch.

Old
02-07-2010, 07:14 AM
ohbaby

That by far,... had to be the best game Hank has ever played! Nothing like #30 starring at you at the other end to get you fired up. What an Amazing performance!

He has never had a better glove hand in his life! He stole that win last nite.

Credit Avery for sealing the win, eliminating any last min heroics by Kovy.

Last edited by ohbaby: 02-07-2010 at 09:27 AM.
ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 07:26 AM
truebluegoalie

I would like to know how Kovalchuk didn't get anything extra for spearing, instigating and punching a linesman.....oh thats right he is an NHL superstar and he was going after Avery so it is ok.

offsetting penalties, gotta love the new nhl.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 07:49 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by #97 View Post
DZ <3

Ilya had a rough night.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 08:11 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
I would like to know how Kovalchuk didn't get anything extra for spearing, instigating and punching a linesman.....oh thats right he is an NHL superstar and he was going after Avery so it is ok.

Refs weren't calling it all nite. Even a more alarming non call was when Peters dropped the gloves first and Prust was looking around for a ref.

Old
02-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
DZ <3

Ilya had a rough night.
Yeah he did, he learned that playing the Rangers as a Thrasher and a Devil are two completely different worlds.

02-07-2010, 09:08 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Does anyone think that the Rangers should take a cue from the Devils and ask Gaborik to be an enforcer at the end of game?

Kovalchuk sent a message to the NHL: don't talk to trash to anyone around me or I am going to drop the gloves. Can you score goals from the penalty box?

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 09:17 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Hey did you guys notice Dubi and Olli running into each other a lot last night in the o-zone? Totally understandable since it's a tough switch for Dubi, but I thought they still had a very good game as a line.

Also, did Cangelosi call Kovy "the Devils' best player?" I wonder what Parise would have to say about that.

In my mind, Parise is a more complete hockey player than Kovy. They are about dead even in goal and point production but Kovy is nowhere near the defensive player Parise is.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 09:26 AM
ThirdEye

Haha, if we didn't dissuade Kovlchuk enough from coming here in earlier games then this one probably did it. Honestly, I can't see him signing here as long as Avery is around

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 09:35 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
Hey did you guys notice Dubi and Olli running into each other a lot last night in the o-zone? Totally understandable since it's a tough switch for Dubi, but I thought they still had a very good game as a line.

Also, did Cangelosi call Kovy "the Devils' best player?" I wonder what Parise would have to say about that.

In my mind, Parise is a more complete hockey player than Kovy. They are about dead even in goal and point production but Kovy is nowhere near the defensive player Parise is.
Parise has impressed me. Not last night, but in general. Never rated him that high even when he had 90 plus points last year. But watching him this year, it's obvious how good he is. One of the hardest working players in the game today with a bit of skill.

Old
02-07-2010, 09:56 AM
Johnny Hotrox

Quote:

So true, a complete joke. Kovalchuk has his gloves off punching anyone in front of him and gets called for two roughing penalties.

Johnny Hotrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 09:59 AM
CaptainCallahan*

Quote:

I was 10 rows up from the incident and saw everything. Avery clearly was the instigator here, and while it was a typical gutless move by Kovalchuk to spear Avery in the gut, I knew the refs wouldn't cll that for the sheer fact it was against Sean Avery. However what baffled me was the 4 minutes a piece for roughing. How does Kovalchuk not get 5 for fighting when he blatantly drops his gloves and throws several punches?

CaptainCallahan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 10:10 AM
ryan41
LETS GO RANGERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Haha, if we didn't dissuade Kovlchuk enough from coming here in earlier games then this one probably did it. Honestly, I can't see him signing here as long as Avery is around
haha that is a good point. i see the chances of landing him extremely small. we already got gabby, we just need to build more pieces not necessarily with the help of kovy.

ryan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I dont think I would be overreaching here to say that Rozsival had a great game last night. He had about 10 really solid plays.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote