HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Kovy or marleau and volchencov

View Poll Results: Kovy or Marleau and Volchenkov
Kovy 78 70.91%
Marleau and Volchenkov 32 29.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-07-2010, 10:58 AM
nyr2417

vCash: 500
Kovy or marleau and volchencov

Curious on what you'd rather the rangers pursue this offseason. Just Kovy, or Marleau with Volchencov

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:01 AM
Shake and Bake

KOVY

not even close

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
We're pretty decided on the fact that Marleau would be a disaster in NY.

If we cant get Kovalchuk the simple answer is to not send down Redden, give him another year in ranger blue and make sure we lock up Staal.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:12 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
We're pretty decided on the fact that Marleau would be a disaster in NY.

If we cant get Kovalchuk the simple answer is to not send down Redden, give him another year in ranger blue and make sure we lock up Staal.
This. I'd be much more interested in going after Plekanec than Marleau. Plekanec and Volchenkov would be a pretty nice haul.

I'm also not opposed to bringing back Jokinen if we can't get Kovy, as long as he's willing to take a paycut.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:14 AM
TheHotRock

kovy will come with at least a 7.5 mil cap hit
marleau will come with at least a 6 mil cap hit
volchenkov will come with at least (bare min) a 4.5 mil cap hit

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:20 AM
GAGLine

Can we clear some cap space before we discuss how we're going to spend it?

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:24 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
This. I'd be much more interested in going after Plekanec than Marleau. Plekanec and Volchenkov would be a pretty nice haul.

I'm also not opposed to bringing back Jokinen if we can't get Kovy, as long as he's willing to take a paycut.
Plekanec will be real expensive given the season he is having. I imagine he will be pushing 5mil.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Dredden
JT Miller

This summer is so weak, next summers ufa class is much better.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:37 AM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Didnt vote, because I would only take Volchenkov, forget Marleau or Kovy.....

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

I still believe that Slats wants Kovy. If it means Redden to Hartford he'll do it.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Can we clear some cap space before we discuss how we're going to spend it?
Where would the fun be in that?

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:49 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
These players will be so expensive. Unrestricted free agency is the time of reckless overspending by this franchise. Taking a summer off from the extravagant spending sprees might do this franchise some good.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:54 AM
NYRangers09

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI Ranger View Post
This summer is so weak, next summers ufa class is much better.
Who is in next summers class?

NYRangers09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Dredden
JT Miller

2011:

http://nhlnumbers.com/freeagents.php...=ufa&type=none

Old
02-07-2010, 12:00 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
Where would the fun be in that?
Lol, I understand, but it seems like people just ignore that part of it. They just assume it will happen "somehow".

Me, I like to figure out ways we can cut the dead weight so that we can do some shopping come Christmas time (July 1st) and be able to afford our RFAs in the coming years.

Edit: This in particular is what concerns me going forward:

http://nhlnumbers.com/freeagents.php...none&type=none

We need to get some money coming off the books in 2011.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:00 PM
dccuse

rather

Forget Kovy, Forget Volchenkov, Forget Marleau.

Let christensen go - if ani can beef up over the off-season you give him a shot centering gaborik and prospal, who should also be resigned.

Sign Rene Bourque.

Lets see how prospects develop before we jump the gun and get that "last piece".

Bobby S. needs a shot next year. Before we fill up a d-spot with a UFA we should see if the answer is within.

then the following summer when we know more about stepan, grachev's, kreider's, werek, weise and other offensive talent, we decide whether to take a run at semin or thornton.

no sense in entering the bidding war for kovalchuk this summer. If he does get his ridiculous contract it'll be because he's the only elite ufa - don't want to destroy our cap flexibility for the next 8 years.

dccuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Chalfdiggity3

the UFA of 2011 is also when drury comes up and adds 7mill in capspace. If we dont trade rosie, he comes off too.. possibly redden buried in the minors, brashear off the books, We would have about 15million in salary with staal, girardi, and the rest of the guys we wanna keep signed.

Sign ONLY Volchenkov in this offseason

Next Season Sign Markov, Semin, and one of Thornton or Brad Richards

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:08 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccuse View Post
Forget Kovy, Forget Volchenkov, Forget Marleau.

Let christensen go - if ani can beef up over the off-season you give him a shot centering gaborik and prospal, who should also be resigned.

Sign Rene Bourque.

Lets see how prospects develop before we jump the gun and get that "last piece".

Bobby S. needs a shot next year. Before we fill up a d-spot with a UFA we should see if the answer is within.

then the following summer when we know more about stepan, grachev's, kreider's, werek, weise and other offensive talent, we decide whether to take a run at semin or thornton.

no sense in entering the bidding war for kovalchuk this summer. If he does get his ridiculous contract it'll be because he's the only elite ufa - don't want to destroy our cap flexibility for the next 8 years.
Volchenkov is the type of D-man this organization lacks. He's a shut down D-man that can bang (but doesn't take himself out of position doing so), log a ton of minutes, play on the PK, clear the crease, and is a shot blocking machine. At the right price he is someone i'd love the Rangers to have. Pair him with MDZ and let MDZ go to town on the offensive side of the game. Not to mention he is only 27 years old.

Also, if Jokinen keeps playing the way he has (albeit it's been a very small sample size), i'd bring him back for one or two years if he comes down from his current salary, which he should since he is on pace for just 50 pts.

EDIT: And I would not take a run at Thornton in the summer of 2011. He is a playoff choke artist and will be 32 years old going into the 2011-2012 season. No thanks. Semin could be interesting to take a run after, but his asking price will more then likely be through the roof. Not to mention i'd rather have Kovy locked up long term then Semin, if the Rangers were willing to take a run at either and spend the necessary cash for them.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:13 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
the UFA of 2011 is also when drury comes up and adds 7mill in capspace. If we dont trade rosie, he comes off too.. possibly redden buried in the minors, brashear off the books, We would have about 15million in salary with staal, girardi, and the rest of the guys we wanna keep signed.

Sign ONLY Volchenkov in this offseason

Next Season Sign Markov, Semin, and one of Thornton or Brad Richards
I think Staal will get a 3 year contract around a $3 million cap hit a la the likes of Brent Seabrook and Ryan Suter.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:16 PM
nyr7andcounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Volchenkov is the type of D-man this organization lacks. He's a shut down D-man that can bang (but doesn't take himself out of position doing so), log a ton of minutes, play on the PK, clear the crease, and is a shot blocking machine. At the right price he is someone i'd love the Rangers to have. Pair him with MDZ and let MDZ go to town on the offensive side of the game. Not to mention he is only 27 years old.
I'd go for Volchenkov over the others because of this. I definitely agree. We're very soft on the blueline and aside from Staal the defenseman who we'll have for a while aren't physical. Getting a guy like Volchenkov at his age would be great.

Kovalchuck is a great player but how many max contracts can we have? We can't just sign the best free agent every summer. At some point we need to build the rest of our team. Gaborik worked out great, now we should work on improving other parts of the team rather than giving another top winger $8 million a year.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:17 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI Ranger View Post
Most of those players are well over 30.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:23 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Kovalchuk...if we can shed some more salary and lock up Staal.

OT but related. I'd rather ride out the dead weight for a couple years and use UFA money to lock up our core in anticipation of Grachev, Kreider, Stepan, etc joining in by the time Drury's time is up and Redden has a managable buy-out in the same year. Then see who or whats available that fits our needs at that time. The benefit of being NY is we can always buy 1st line talent to fill in the gaps of a solid team, which is something we never seem to do, it's usually the opposite and we wind up trading away good young core types and try to replace those players by overpaying for other teams 3rd line castoffs.

Also...if we spend like mad this July 1st, dont we risk not being able to pay MDZ, Staal, Duby, and Cally in the next few years.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Most of those players are well over 30.
Most of them yes, thats what its usually like on he UFA market. I would have interest in players like :

B.Richards
P. Bergeron
Backes
M. Koivu
Bieksa
Ehrhoff
Pitkanen

Im not all impressed with the upcomming FA class. The way this team is going to get better is through the draft and trades.

Old
02-07-2010, 12:28 PM
nyr2417

i posted this because i wanted to see what people would rather have if given that option. but if i was given the option id sign joki to a 1 year deal 5 mill (5 mill just bc its one year) and id also sign volchenkov 4 year 15 mill

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 12:39 PM
Crease

We have too many holes and bad contracts to invest a ton of money in Kovalchuk. Even if we get rid of Redden and Rozsival, we're still stuck with Drury's contract AND we're light on defense. The $8.5+ spent on Kovalchuk would be better distributed elsewhere.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote